Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 204 Guests

No new stadium

This thread currently has 17,866 views. Print
20 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
March 18, 2023, 9:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Looks like GTFC have no interest in moving to a new stadium.
The story seems to have slipped out with no supporting comment from the club.
Not surprised about the decision but thought the club would have wanted to make an official comment about it if true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
It Bites
March 18, 2023, 9:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Gold Stars: 266
If you'd listened closely to Andrew and Jason's comments over the last 18 months you'd of realised a new stadium has never been on their agenda . New training ground ,  improving BP and the playing budget are their immediate priority.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 194
denni266
March 18, 2023, 9:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Dont realy need a new ground. new main stand and extra seating is needed tho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 194
GollyGTFC
March 18, 2023, 9:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
We do need a new ground. There’s no other way we can compete in the long term with the countless clubs who have moved ahead of us in the 30 or so years since the Taylor Report.

I’m talking about teams like Doncaster, Rotherham, Hull, Reading, Cardiff, Swansea, Stoke, Bolton, Wigan, Brighton, Millwall and other clubs who have rebuilt their existing stadiums in that time too. The clubs we once competed with and were well above in the football league.

While we remain at BP we will always be small fish unable to compete. We need a new stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 194
HertsGTFC
March 18, 2023, 10:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Long term and not the priority, as long as you haven’t been living under a rock for the last 12 months the board have been clear on this.

On a weekend when we’re about to play arguably our biggest cup game since before the 2nd world war I’m amazed why this has been dredged up again now.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 194
Teesknees
March 18, 2023, 10:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Looks like GTFC have no interest in moving to a new stadium.
The story seems to have slipped out with no supporting comment from the club.
Not surprised about the decision but thought the club would have wanted to make an official comment about it if true.

Why not just enjoy this weekend, there will be ample time to be critical whenever we get knocked out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 194
HerveJosse
March 18, 2023, 10:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Interview with  council leader on  Freeman St generally just regurgitating an old rejection of site under previous regime. Not new news at all. Of course we need a new ground but was never likely to be Freeman Street
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 194
Zmariner
March 18, 2023, 11:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Went to the MKM for the first time this week, I know this is a good one but what a different experience. I see we will never be able to afford a new ground but it will always be a terribly limiting factor for the club utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 194
chaos33
March 18, 2023, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We do need a new ground. There’s no other way we can compete in the long term with the countless clubs who have moved ahead of us in the 30 or so years since the Taylor Report.

I’m talking about teams like Doncaster, Rotherham, Hull, Reading, Cardiff, Swansea, Stoke, Bolton, Wigan, Brighton, Millwall and other clubs who have rebuilt their existing stadiums in that time too. The clubs we once competed with and were well above in the football league.

While we remain at BP we will always be small fish unable to compete. We need a new stadium.

This. Although, we can compete at this level at BP, but a new stadium is a must beyond the short term. Everybody knows that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 194
GrimRob
March 18, 2023, 11:42am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Hopefully, we'll get one by 2030.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 194
jaygy
March 18, 2023, 1:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
BP is not fit to host Europa league football! We need to get one built in the next 3 months!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 194
The Caterham Mariner
March 18, 2023, 1:38pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +98
Gold Stars: 8
Priorities first improvements at BP.
Expand if possible the Main stand
Then a new ground is a future priority (IMO)
In time I hate the word Stadium so American I do prefer Football Ground.
OK Hear me out come 2035 - 2050
Where would I plan to put a new ground let me put my body armour on and helmet!!
CAISTOR TOP Area past the little Chef ..Why global warming the sealevel rising etc.
I saw on a website sealevels rise and we loose so many football clubs.
There you go
AND IF we did something to the Main Stand then i would pay to have wood to make a fireplace surround from the heart and soul of BP!!
Here endth the lesson IMO
UTM See ya tomorrow.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 194
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 18, 2023, 1:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Half past eight?  That's a bit quick isn't it?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 194
forza ivano
March 18, 2023, 2:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
If they've ruled out a new stadium then I'd bet my bottom dollar that Andrew has formulated a plan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 194
Mappers
March 18, 2023, 2:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
Its something that hasnt been touched on -wouldnt it be possible to build upwards with the pontoon if they wanted to add capacity ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 194
Maringer
March 18, 2023, 2:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
Overshadowing the houses behind likely to be an issue if you start trying to greatly extend most of the stands.

Its a pity that the design of the Findus is (relatively) dated already. If that was able to extend across a little further and be more of a modern two-decker affair, I'd imagine a lot more seating could be installed. The other problem, of course, is that we even if we could work out a plan to extend some of the stands, it would mean even lower capacity during the construction period. It's not as though we could be like Spurs and play at a suitably sized stadium nearby whilst rebuilding was taking place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 194
DB
March 18, 2023, 2:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
At this moment in time, I'm thinking about tomorrow. At another time in the future, I'll think about increasing the capacity at BP.

But for now, all I can think of are the quarter finals and dream of a semi final place.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 194
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 18, 2023, 3:22pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from jaygy
BP is not fit to host Europa league football! We need to get one built in the next 3 months!

Get the Chinese on that one. If they can knock up a hospital in days Im sure a football ground would be a 'little job' for them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 194
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 18, 2023, 3:24pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Approval: +886
Buy up all the houses along harrington Street that back on to BP, torch the main stand and build a new big stand in the same vein as the Findus, maybe even as big as to go over Harrington Street with a vehicle tunnel underneath. That could add many thousand seats.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 18, 2023, 4:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
A few points to consider.

If we were to build a new stadium somewhere else, what should the capacity be to start with and what should it's potential capacity be?

If we were to expand BP as much as we possibly could, what could the capacity be?

How much would each of those options cost the club, taking away any grants/other means of funding?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 194
Yarborough Vaults
March 18, 2023, 4:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
This is the only thing that marks the new owners down for me. We are in desperate need of a new stadium and as much as I love BP and the memories it's a really poor place to visit in terms of facilities.

The Freemo option was really exciting when it was announced and a genuine shame it hasn't happened there. It would lift that whole area.

Trying to rebuild BP is just papering over the cracks. Let's build new, and build it modern. I really hope the owners don't continue down the same route as the previous regime on this point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 194
The Caterham Mariner
March 18, 2023, 4:28pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Buy up all the houses along harrington Street that back on to BP, torch the main stand and build a new big stand in the same vein as the Findus, maybe even as big as to go over Harrington Street with a vehicle tunnel underneath. That could add many thousand seats.

HHmm " Torch the Main Stand!"...
Words fail me my first stand as a kid before i was deemed old enough to stand in the Pontoon when it was the Pontoon before the days of seating.

In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 194
Mappers
March 18, 2023, 4:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
A few points to consider.

If we were to build a new stadium somewhere else, what should the capacity be to start with and what should it's potential capacity be?

If we were to expand BP as much as we possibly could, what could the capacity be?

How much would each of those options cost the club, taking away any grants/other means of funding?

- starting capacity around 12k for me not too big that theres no atmosphere , potential to be 20k ish
- i have no idea about BP
- it woule be 40 or 50 mil + now for a new one at least i think .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 194
Mappers
March 18, 2023, 4:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
This is the only thing that marks the new owners down for me. We are in desperate need of a new stadium and as much as I love BP and the memories it's a really poor place to visit in terms of facilities.

The Freemo option was really exciting when it was announced and a genuine shame it hasn't happened there. It would lift that whole area.

Trying to rebuild BP is just papering over the cracks. Let's build new, and build it modern. I really hope the owners don't continue down the same route as the previous regime on this point.

Tbh the previous custodian if anything was over obsessed with relocation ,to the point everything else decayed beyond repair on a pipe dreams ; no danger of that with the  current primary funders in the building .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 194
White_shorts
March 18, 2023, 4:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -648
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Zmariner
Went to the MKM for the first time this week, I know this is a good one but what a different experience. I see we will never be able to afford a new ground but it will always be a terribly limiting factor for the club utm

A housing developer can afford construction of a new stadium.  The club will pay rent as tenants.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/3800-homes-shops-primary-school-5443612

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 194
The Caterham Mariner
March 18, 2023, 5:38pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Mappers

- starting capacity around 12k for me not too big that theres no atmosphere , potential to be 20k ish
- i have no idea about BP
- it woule be 40 or 50 mil + now for a new one at least i think .

Colchester's ground  to big no atmosphere comes to mind ground capacity is something to take into consideration definitely.
BP a serious revamp we can talk about it but to
do it seriously  as i am not an accountant or arcitect  i will have to listen to advice not give it
Unless i win the euro millions then i will invest.
We all have a dream
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 194
rancido
March 18, 2023, 6:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Well I have read the whole article in the G.E.T and unless I have missed something there is no indication that the club do not want a new ground. Yes, they said they are no longer interested in the Freeman Street site and quote " They decided at the moment that they ( GTFC) want to stay at Blundell Park and make improvements there". That doesn't mean the club don't want a new ground but , and this been repeated several times by the new regime, it is not a priority and is on the back burner.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 194
Mappers
March 18, 2023, 8:11pm
Champagne Drinker

Colchester's ground  to big no atmosphere comes to mind ground capacity is something to take into consideration definitely.
BP a serious revamp we can talk about it but to
do it seriously  as i am not an accountant or arcitect  i will have to listen to advice not give it
Unless i win the euro millions then i will invest.
We all have a dream
UTM

Yeah Colchester is awful i went once a few years ago a bit of a walk from the town to the ground and a car park with a souless stadium thats 1/3 full ,think it only holds 10k but for them its too big

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 194
HertsGTFC
March 18, 2023, 8:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
This is the only thing that marks the new owners down for me.

I’m sure they’ll be gutted….

What exactly did you expect them to do in just over 2 years, help get the club promoted back to the EFL at the first attempt? Or was it stop the standard 1 year deal policy, or was it massively lift engagement you could have really over expected them to help Paul and the lads to get to the 6th round of the cup?

None of the above I suspect but you sound like you’re expecting them to find what £30 million or similar when we haven’t got 1,000 locked out every week.

Maybe it’s me but I don’t get the rationale about regurgitating the same old sh1t on a thread when JS & AP have been clear on the plan. In reality like the posters on here I haven’t got a f****g clue what it would take to build a new ground but if JS says it’s not right I trust his word.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 194
HertsGTFC
March 18, 2023, 8:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

A housing developer can afford construction of a new stadium.  The club will pay rent as tenants.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/3800-homes-shops-primary-school-5443612

So if a developer bought BP and built houses on it do you honestly believe there is enough space to build enough to fund a stadium from the profit.

In terms of renting a new stadium that’s another non starter as you need full control to make money from it 7 days a week and ensure it’s truly a community use asset. It’s a bonkers idea that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 194
Yarborough Vaults
March 18, 2023, 8:38pm
Beer Drinker
I don't think every club that has built a new stadium has done it because 1000s have been locked out. Stadiums get old, buildings outlive their purpose and so it simply becomes time to move on.

I think it's fair to ask any owner why a new stadium is not a priority. The success you detail is more reason for a new stadium, not an argument against one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 194
HertsGTFC
March 18, 2023, 8:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I don't think every club that has built a new stadium has done it because 1000s have been locked out. Stadiums get old, buildings outlive their purpose and so it simply becomes time to move on.

I think it's fair to ask any owner why a new stadium is not a priority. The success you detail is more reason for a new stadium, not an argument against one.

But they’ve been clear, did you watch the fans forum?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 194
Mappers
March 18, 2023, 9:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yeah they have made it clear on numerous occasions tbf
-concentrate on training ground
-Improve BP +infrastructure

I think they know we need a new stadium but havent got the capital of that nature to just throw at it ,and dont want to put the club in danger by trying to acquire one .

Stockwood & Petit are strategists so they have a long term plan no doubt ,behind closed doors -they arent going to be saying we will be here ,there and everywhere in X amount of time to everyone  .

But in a subtle way Stockwood is saying ,especially in the last few interviews about 'going right through ' and 'moving through the gears ' so its quite clear he doesnt see us sitting in league 2 at the current BP forever

Its not something to really concern us
Its not like before ,everything is in hand now
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 194
HertsGTFC
March 18, 2023, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Yeah they have made it clear on numerous occasions tbf
-concentrate on training ground
-Improve BP +infrastructure

I think they know we need a new stadium but havent got the capital of that nature to just throw at it ,and dont want to put the club in danger by trying to acquire one .

Stockwood & Petit are strategists so they have a long term plan no doubt ,behind closed doors -they arent going to be saying we will be here ,there and everywhere in X amount of time to everyone  .

But in a subtle way Stockwood is saying ,especially in the last few interviews about 'going right through ' and 'moving through the gears ' so its quite clear he doesnt see us sitting in league 2 at the current BP forever

Its not something to really concern us
Its not like before ,everything is in hand now
UTM

👍👍👍

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 194
Yarborough Vaults
March 18, 2023, 9:27pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes, not really impressed by the constant dodges on this issue. Feels like there will always be an excuse why it can't happen. Yet other, lesser, clubs seem to manage it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 194
HertsGTFC
March 18, 2023, 9:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Yes, not really impressed by the constant dodges on this issue. Feels like there will always be an excuse why it can't happen. Yet other, lesser, clubs seem to manage it.

🙄

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 194
Mappers
March 18, 2023, 10:38pm
Champagne Drinker

You could argue though the majority of those 'lesser clubs ' have adequate but souless ,non armospheric stadiums for example :
Colchester (as above )
Burton
Shrewsbury
Oxford
Barnet
Boston
Been to all those and havent been that impressed ,obviously all done on a tight budget and just about functional but not much else .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 194
aldi_01
March 19, 2023, 4:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Who’s flipping arsed? Really? It’s genuinely not a priory. We believe it is because the previous idiot was obsessed but in truth, it really isn’t.

They’ve made it clear that given the state of the club they inherited, money needs spending and investment is needed elsewhere.

1000s aren’t being locked out each week and whilst we may think BP is in a state, the people I hear go on about that, face to face anyway, very rarely go away or if they do it’s usually to the better stadiums…that’s doesn’t mean it’s ok, but it does make you realise that BP isn’t the worst stadium in the world.

All about priorities…and money…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 194
HertsGTFC
March 19, 2023, 12:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I have to say arriving at Brighton if we had something a 3rd of the size it would be awesome and they’ve not even opened the gates yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 194
louth_in_the_south
March 19, 2023, 5:06pm

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
If a new ground means waiting like this for a train every home game I’d rather stay at BP thanks

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 194
Limerick Mariner
March 19, 2023, 5:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If a new ground means waiting like this for a train every home game I’d rather stay at BP thanks

But also it would mean more facilities for fans stay on at the stadium for an hour so and capture a bit more spend I’m still in the Amex - still a few Towns here at  nearly 5.30.

A new stadium for a club like us needs a competent council to help make a Community Stadium happen and not just land. It needs serious grant funding. At the moment a lot of councils can’t even deliver basic services.

We need to get BP to about 10 - 11k capacity for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 194
IlkleyMariner
March 19, 2023, 5:39pm
Champagne Drinker
I would welcome a statement saying we Will develop the ground to 10-11,000 capacity including upgrades.

At the present we have a statement from the council saying no new ground and a statement from the club saying nothing.

Maybe a case of burying bad/no news whils a quarter final is being played?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 194
dwayne
March 19, 2023, 5:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -2

Welcome to big crowds. 30k  people leaving at the same time. How many stadiums have a train station right outside there ground? An hour is reasonable for that size crowd

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 194
NorthLondonMariner
March 19, 2023, 5:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Yes, we do need a new ground. But in the short/medium term id rather we put everything into becoming a League 1 side competing for the playoffs. I am happy for us to stay at BP until that happens.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 194
grimps
March 20, 2023, 10:12am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mappers

You could argue though the majority of those 'lesser clubs ' have adequate but souless ,non armospheric stadiums for example :
Colchester (as above )
Burton
Shrewsbury
Oxford
Barnet
Boston
Been to all those and havent been that impressed ,obviously all done on a tight budget and just about functional but not much else .

The thing is Rotherham , Hull , Bradford , Brentford ect we’re lesser clubs than us 25 years ago when it become obvious that we needed a new ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 194
MarinerDevil
March 20, 2023, 11:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
I personally think we missed the boat when it comes to benefitting from a new ground. The period from the late 90s until around 2010 was the ideal time to do it when enabling retail developments were still profitable and the increase in revenue made it worthwhile.

But if you look at the situation now, with soaring construction costs and a fragile economy, it's very difficult to see how it would benefit us at all to build from scratch. We would almost certainly be paying rent or interest on debt that would eat into our budget for everything else. Would the potential increase in revenue make up for that? I think the owners' stance on the issue suggests that they don't think so.

But it is clear that something needs to happen as BP in its current state won't be suitable for the sustainable League One club that we are aspiring to become.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 194
White_shorts
March 20, 2023, 5:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Long term and not the priority, as long as you haven’t been living under a rock for the last 12 months the board have been clear on this.

I think everyone is aware a new stadium is "not a priority" for the owners.

I would just like them to answer these questions:

Do they seriously think the club can have a long-term future at BP?
Do they not understand the ground is not full for every game because most people dislike the Main Stand?
Will the council grant permission for new stands on the site?
Do they not think a Freemo arena would have been absolutely wonderful?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 20, 2023, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

Do they not understand the ground is not full for every game because most people dislike the Main Stand?

I have 2 questions for you.

What research has been conducted to prove that most people dislike the Main Stand?

Are you one of the enrolled Freemen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 194
March 20, 2023, 6:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from White_shorts

No

More likely it's the sh1t home form

Ask the council

A free Freemo arena would be well wonderful

What if they replied thus?
Reply: 48 - 194
realist
March 20, 2023, 6:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
I have never had a proper explanation of what a community stadium is. Can someone enlighten me please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 194
It Bites
March 20, 2023, 6:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Quoted from realist
I have never had a proper explanation of what a community stadium is. Can someone enlighten me please?

It's just dressed up nicely so people don't object
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 194
White_shorts
March 20, 2023, 6:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
It's a pity that the design of the Findus is (relatively) dated already. If that was able to extend across a little further and be more of a modern two-decker affair, I'd imagine a lot more seating could be installed.

The Findus was dated when it opened in 1982.  Scunthorpe built a stand in 1958 at the Old Show Ground that had unrestricted views.  24 years later, Town erected a monstrosity with 5 roof supports.  I suspect it was cheaper than cantilever.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I doubt the club would get permission to widen the upper tier, nor increase the overall capacity to more than 10k.

https://www.scunthorpetelegrap.....teds-renowned-314647

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 194
White_shorts
March 20, 2023, 6:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So if a developer bought BP and built houses on it do you honestly believe there is enough space to build enough to fund a stadium from the profit.

In terms of renting a new stadium that’s another non starter as you need full control to make money from it 7 days a week and ensure it’s truly a community use asset. It’s a bonkers idea that.

I didn't say the sale of BP could fund relocation.  The Grimsby West developers intend to build a primary school, community hub and village store.  A new stadium can incorporate classrooms, meeting rooms and retail units.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 194
ska face
March 20, 2023, 6:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
How big is this stadium going to be if you think you can fit a primary school, community hub and retail units sufficient to serve 3500 new homes? You’re off your head.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 20, 2023, 7:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
How big is this stadium going to be if you think you can fit a primary school, community hub and retail units sufficient to serve 3500 new homes? You’re off your head.

Assemblies in the concourse would be pretty cold after October Half Term until Easter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 194
Marinerdan
March 20, 2023, 7:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from White_shorts

The most important question is - ‘do you have £40-50m to put into building a new ground?’

Clearly the answer is no so there is no point in fixating on it or wasting money on artist impressions and feasibility studies.

The new training ground is a massive investment and will hopefully start moving soon, that’s seems to be the owners priority which seems sensible.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 194
HerveJosse
March 20, 2023, 7:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face

3500 residential units at 17 per acre. Equals 200 acres with residential development value at 200000 per acre equals £40m of development value generated. Enough there to seed a new stadium development
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 194
IlkleyMariner
March 20, 2023, 7:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I have 2 questions for you.

What research has been conducted to prove that most people dislike the Main Stand?

Are you one of the enrolled Freemen?

I’m not a freeman, but would only use the main stand if I was very desperate. Probably only 4 times in last 65 years!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 194
Gilbertswand
March 20, 2023, 7:40pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +184
Gold Stars: 21

turn the pitch 90 degrees...build a big home safe standing terrace opposite the findus...knock down the ponny and the osmond and tuck the new stands in so there is drive and drop off access...have a family/disabled supporter stand down one side with and away fans and additional home seating on the other....would solve the height of the stands issue...houses on harrington st would probably cost 2 million to start with,,,we can dream.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 194
Gilbertswand
March 20, 2023, 7:40pm
Shandy Drinker
Approval: +184
Gold Stars: 21

turn the pitch 90 degrees...build a big home safe standing terrace opposite the findus...knock down the ponny and the osmond and tuck the new stands in so there is drive and drop off access...have a family/disabled supporter stand down one side with and away fans and additional home seating on the other....would solve the height of the stands issue...houses on harrington st would probably cost 2 million to start with,,,we can dream.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 194
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2023, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236

I’m sure a modern designer would find a way of developing a stand with a much larger capacity Main Stand without needing to go back very far at all. That said, buying the Harrington Street properties between the two entrances would probably cost market value plus a percentage.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 194
ska face
March 20, 2023, 7:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

3500 residential units at 17 per acre. Equals 200 acres with residential development value at 200000 per acre equals £40m of development value generated. Enough there to seed a new stadium development

Unless I’m mistaken, Mr White Shorts seems to be under the impression a new stadium could, and should, be located within the new Grimsby West development itself. This is despite a master plan already having been put together and the relevant policy requiring: “ open space play and recreation provision, specifically the provision of three equipped play areas, an area of no less than 2ha of allotments, provision of three adult sports
fields including changing and parking facilities
”.

Along with that would be a 500-place secondary school, 1.5ha of land for primary school provision and shops/community facilities provided within 2 separate hubs. I don’t think you’re going to be able to squeeze a 10-15k stadium and associated infrastructure in there too.

That’s not to say that developer contributions couldn’t contribute towards an off-site community stadium, in fact that’s probably our only realistic hope. Be interesting to see what comes out of these discussions around a 10-year strategy for the club. Think there’d be a bit more political will towards something like that if we’re able to embed ourselves more in the community, rather than what we were faced with under Fenty who just wanted to take, take, take from local taxpayers.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 194
crusty ole pie
March 20, 2023, 8:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,384
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m sure a modern designer would find a way of developing a stand with a much larger capacity Main Stand without needing to go back very far at all. That said, buying the Harrington Street properties between the two entrances would probably cost market value plus a percentage.

We have missed the boat on buying the properties behind the main stand they should have been purchased yeas ago one at a time when each one became available to buy them all now would cost a fortune the owners would see pound notes and hold the club to ransom
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 20, 2023, 8:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

We have missed the boat on buying the properties behind the main stand they should have been purchased yeas ago one at a time when each one became available to buy them all now would cost a fortune the owners would see pound notes and hold the club to ransom

Lidl did that on Cromwell Road and Marklew Avenue, one of the owners dug their heels in and got a great deal apparently.

If that was done, a lot of the building work could be done whilst we played our games at BP like what happened with Spurs, but we would have to move away for a season you would have thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 194
DB
March 21, 2023, 6:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
I like the idea of a new stadium and redeveloping BP. However, the one thing JS & AP have made absolutely clear is that any new stadium and major work at BP is on the back burner.

It is not that they don't want to do this but they don't want to put a massive financial stranglehold on the club by putting it into a massive debt situation. Probably, as posted above, a new stadium would cost £40/50 million and redevelopment of BP say half of that. I have no idea of the exact cost of either but I do know AP said at the forum the new training ground cost had gone up to about £6.5 million.

As posted by others we missed the boat on a new ground with the dithering of the Fenty era when development money was awash for a new ground etc. then. So unless we have a major benefactor then we have what we have. I'm not saying I like it but it is the reality of our current situation.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 194
aldi_01
March 21, 2023, 6:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Do we trot out this conversation when there’s intercourse all else to talk about.

It’s not happening, it’s never been happening. Fenty kept the conversation going, Christ, he even allowed discussion about food outlets and the like without it ever getting past the post it note planning stage.

The current custodians have made it clear they serious and important investment is needed elsewhere before any mass development of BP or indeed a new stadium is built. You’d also imagine that right now, or at least the next couple of years is probably not the best time to build one.

There aren’t large numbers of fans locked out every week, there clearly isn’t too many that are ‘refusing to sit in the main stand’ because every home game, regardless of the small smattering of empty seats, it’s practically full and I’ve already said it, a new stadium isn’t a priority. That’s not to say it’s not a conversation that’s had internally but unlike the previous idiot, these guys don’t talk about stuff until it’s over the line or extremely close.

We talk until we’re blue in the face but it’s not happening and quite frankly, that doesn’t bother me or worry me. There’s a need to focus on other aspects of the club, years of neglect and lack of investment mean we need to get other things up to scratch first. Things that actually impact performance, ambition and aspiration…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 194
GollyGTFC
March 21, 2023, 9:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If Sunday wasn’t a wake up call about our need for a new stadium then nothing will.

It just happened to be 20 years to the week since our last visit to Brighton. They were playing at a 7,000 seat capacity athletics stadium. I went there twice. That season and the season before. The facilities were a shambles.

Now I appreciate they had lost the Goldstone Ground, but that was a squalid little dump of a stadium too. Far worse than BP was in the pre-Taylor Report days.

Of course Brighton had their little purple patch in the early 80s with a short spell in the top flight and an FA Cup Final appearance, but in reality they are a club that we outperformed for 100 years.

Brighton entered the Football League in 1920 and from then until the 2002/2003 season when we were last met we were in a higher division than them for 32 seasons and they were in a higher division than us for 16 seasons with 28 seasons at the same level.

But we’ve been left behind and our owners refuse to even acknowledge that BP is a huge part of the problem.

No one is expecting them to bankroll a new stadium from their personal funds, but we need one and when they come to sell the club if we’re still at a dilapidated BP then for all the good memories and football success they have and might achieve going forward they will have failed as owners. *Unless they sell to someone who builds a new stadium immediately.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 194
bedders78
March 21, 2023, 9:39am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Wouldn't be a big surprise that any that do come on the market are quietly snapped up by a company linked to one of our owners

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 194
grimps
March 21, 2023, 10:01am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from bedders78

Wouldn't be a big surprise that any that do come on the market are quietly snapped up by a company linked to one of our owners

I’ve been saying that for the last 20 odd years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 21, 2023, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No one is expecting them to bankroll a new stadium from their personal funds, but we need one and when they come to sell the club if we’re still at a dilapidated BP then for all the good memories and football success they have and might achieve going forward they will have failed as owners. *Unless they sell to someone who builds a new stadium immediately.

I wouldn't go that far, as they haven't come in promising a stadium. I think we all know that our stadium situation needs to improve, but most of the boats to deliver one have long left the harbour. Failure would be not delivering a new training ground, which I'm incredibly confident they will deliver.

A £50m stadium cannot cripple the club, I think one possibility is that the electric vehicle industry explodes exponentially and myEnergi become an absolutely huge player that can afford to stump up a considerable sum for a new stadium. A lot needs to happen for that, hydrogen is looking like being a competitor to EVs, and Toyota have a hydrogen car on sale, which can be refuelled at 12 locations in the UK currently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 194
diehardmariner
March 21, 2023, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Cannot get my head round people who think a new stadium or significant redevelopment isn't a priority.

We're swimming against the tide and the task at hand is getting harder and harder every single year.  We've got a self imposed ceiling of our own growth.  If we accept that, fine.  But we'll never progress beyond our current level, if anything we'll just get dragged back again.  Culture, ethos, development of people...all fantastic stuff and absolutely should underpin what this club is about.  But that alone won't move us forward, just like a new stadium alone won't.

It's also completely possible to have multiple priorities at once.  Said before and I firmly believe that 1878 are far to smart to just sit twiddling their thumbs, if there isn't a plan for significant change then I'll be incredibly surprised.  The perspex screen in the Upper aside, the investment in the ground is minimal.  Whilst expensive, the relaying of the pitch was a cheaper option.   Why invest significantly if you're not going to stick with it for the long-term?
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 194
louth_in_the_south
March 21, 2023, 10:34am

Exile
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I wouldn't go that far, as they haven't come in promising a stadium. I think we all know that our stadium situation needs to improve, but most of the boats to deliver one have long left the harbour. Failure would be not delivering a new training ground, which I'm incredibly confident they will deliver.

A £50m stadium cannot cripple the club, I think one possibility is that the electric vehicle industry explodes exponentially and myEnergi become an absolutely huge player that can afford to stump up a considerable sum for a new stadium. A lot needs to happen for that, hydrogen is looking like being a competitor to EVs, and Toyota have a hydrogen car on sale, which can be refuelled at 12 locations in the UK currently.

I randomly got chatting to a guy at a family event who’s involved in the development of renewable energy . He told me once the problem of safe storage of hydrogen on the vehicle is solved he expects electric cars to relegated to second choice . He reckons this will be achieved by 2028 and told me not to bother buying an electric car .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 194
HerveJosse
March 21, 2023, 10:43am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Do we trot out this conversation when there’s intercourse all else to talk about.

It’s not happening, it’s never been happening. Fenty kept the conversation going, Christ, he even allowed discussion about food outlets and the like without it ever getting past the post it note planning stage.

The current custodians have made it clear they serious and important investment is needed elsewhere before any mass development of BP or indeed a new stadium is built. You’d also imagine that right now, or at least the next couple of years is probably not the best time to build one.

There aren’t large numbers of fans locked out every week, there clearly isn’t too many that are ‘refusing to sit in the main stand’ because every home game, regardless of the small smattering of empty seats, it’s practically full and I’ve already said it, a new stadium isn’t a priority. That’s not to say it’s not a conversation that’s had internally but unlike the previous idiot, these guys don’t talk about stuff until it’s over the line or extremely close.

We talk until we’re blue in the face but it’s not happening and quite frankly, that doesn’t bother me or worry me. There’s a need to focus on other aspects of the club, years of neglect and lack of investment mean we need to get other things up to scratch first. Things that actually impact performance, ambition and aspiration…

The elephant in the room you are ignoring is that the new owners stated objective of moving sustainably up the leagues and staying in a  ramshackle 7200 home capacity stadium are incompatable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 194
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 21, 2023, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 180

I randomly got chatting to a guy at a family event who’s involved in the development of renewable energy . He told me once the problem of safe storage of hydrogen on the vehicle is solved he expects electric cars to relegated to second choice . He reckons this will be achieved by 2028 and told me not to bother buying an electric car .

Will manufacturers or consumers dictate that we will need better, quicker charging, smaller batteries or will it be something that falls by the wayside? With petrol/diesel sales becoming obsolete in 2030 (I think) for new vehicles, there’s got to be some kind of cheaper more affordable option, especially the way that prices are at the moment for electricity

Back to the conversation of new ground, couldn’t we have solar panels on the roof of each stand? Or some kind of wind/fan turbine within the floodlight pylons? Probably not viable but it’s food for thought (and I’ve got too much time on my hands today!).

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 21, 2023, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker

Toyota have solved it. This is non-football and there is a thread there titled Uni Survey which is about just this if you want to debate further  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 194
Maringer
March 21, 2023, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Hydrogen isn't a competitor to batteries as things stand. It's an incredibly wasteful energy storage medium and we would need massive amounts of excess energy to make it worthwhile due to the difficulties of dealing with it. It is usable in some corner cases (for farm machinery, perhaps - JCB have bet on hydrogen combustion engines!), but for general transportation, it's unlikely to be a goer.

New technology will probably reduce the cost of hydrogen production in coming decades, but then there is the expense of setting up a new supply infrastructure whereas batteries can be plugged in anywhere, providing you have a grid connection (slow charging in most places, admittedly). Toyota has been talking about Hydrogen cars for decades yet there are still very few on the road anywhere in the world.

We just need better batteries and these are on the way so hopefully MyEnergi will continue to do well and not just because of their sponsorship of GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 194
ska face
March 21, 2023, 11:19am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If Sunday wasn’t a wake up call about our need for a new stadium then nothing will.

It just happened to be 20 years to the week since our last visit to Brighton. They were playing at a 7,000 seat capacity athletics stadium. I went there twice. That season and the season before. The facilities were a shambles.

Now I appreciate they had lost the Goldstone Ground, but that was a squalid little dump of a stadium too. Far worse than BP was in the pre-Taylor Report days.

Of course Brighton had their little purple patch in the early 80s with a short spell in the top flight and an FA Cup Final appearance, but in reality they are a club that we outperformed for 100 years.

Brighton entered the Football League in 1920 and from then until the 2002/2003 season when we were last met we were in a higher division than them for 32 seasons and they were in a higher division than us for 16 seasons with 28 seasons at the same level.

But we’ve been left behind and our owners refuse to even acknowledge that BP is a huge part of the problem.

Sorry but that’s an absolutely ridiculous comparison. Brighton’s owner is a billionaire who has supposedly invested hundreds of millions into them, including £93m into the stadium project itself. I’d be surprised if Stockwood & Petit had a quarter of £93m between them, let alone going spare.

Falmer itself had already been granted planning permission in 2002 by the council. It then took another 5 years for permission to be granted by the relevant govt minister and further 6 before a match was played there.

It’s comparing apples with solid gold oranges grown in one of the wealthiest parts of the country. Think it’s disingenuous to make out that the new owners don’t acknowledge BP is a problem. They’re not stupid, but to come in and start talking about new grounds straight off the bat would be, given where we were 12/18 months ago.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 194
White_shorts
March 30, 2023, 5:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
Interview with council leader on Freeman St generally just regurgitating an old rejection of site under previous regime. Not new news at all. Of course we need a new ground but was never likely to be Freeman Street

Why was it never likely to be Freeman Street?  I think it's a great location. Within walking distance of a densely populated area and close to the A180.  It's a wonderful opportunity to have a modern stadium with a similar matchday atmosphere to Blundell Park.

Someone here said that a certain ex board member's in-laws own land off Peaks Parkway.  I shouldn't have to spell out what I think could have happened during summer 2021.  It would explain why Stockwood and Pettit have made no mention of Freeman Street or Grimsby West.

If you think Freemo is a better location than the bottom end of the Parkway, then I suggest you send letters or emails to the owners.

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1536391691/s-0/vr-1/

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 194
ska face
March 30, 2023, 6:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

Someone here said that a certain ex board member's in-laws own land off Peaks Parkway.  I shouldn't have to spell out what I think could have happened during summer 2021.  It would explain why Stockwood and Pettit have made no mention of Freeman Street or Grimsby West.

Please do spell it out, I’ve got no idea what you’re on about
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 194
Saudimariner
March 30, 2023, 6:47pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Just something my missus said to me the other night..... (no, not that)

She said if the club want some money to build a new stand, why not sell off six inch square pieces of the wood from the old stand to supporters as a souvenir?  Maybe charge a tenner per piece.  I'd certainly buy one as a keepsake from where I used to sit back in the day.  Any thoughts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 194
lew chaterleys lover
March 30, 2023, 7:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Saudimariner
Just something my missus said to me the other night..... (no, not that)

She said if the club want some money to build a new stand, why not sell off six inch square pieces of the wood from the old stand to supporters as a souvenir?  Maybe charge a tenner per piece.  I'd certainly buy one as a keepsake from where I used to sit back in the day.  Any thoughts?

I am sure all sorts of memorabilia will be on offer - once we finally make a decision on whether we are going to rebuild BP.

Like you many fans might like to pay for a momento of the older parts of the stadium to raise money for the project. What we need is an action plan and off we go!

Even if the only thing they did was to build a new Main Stand the full length that would be sufficient for the foreseeable assuming ongoing improvements are made to the overall stadium.

The money needed would be substantial but this is where I thought we would really score with these owners - able to attract suitable investors for big projects.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 194
louth_in_the_south
March 30, 2023, 9:32pm

Exile
Just a thought… I get NELC can’t help fund a new stadium, and probably ethically right considering the pot isn’t that deep and have more important things to fund locally in the current economic situation, but given the recent exposure the club has given the area this season would it be out the question to ask them for a slice of the funding for a new stand to replace the Main? It would satisfy the club and fans and be an excellent piece of PR for the council .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 194
DB
March 31, 2023, 6:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Just a thought… I get NELC can’t help fund a new stadium, and probably ethically right considering the pot isn’t that deep and have more important things to fund locally in the current economic situation, but given the recent exposure the club has given the area this season would it be out the question to ask them for a slice of the funding for a new stand to replace the Main? It would satisfy the club and fans and be an excellent piece of PR for the council .

'North East Lincs Stand'  sounds nice.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 194
LN8Mariner
March 31, 2023, 6:30am
Beer Drinker
Approval: +329
Quoted from DB

'North East Lincs Stand'  sounds nice.

It’s probably in the north north east direction wise so how about The North North East North East Lincs Stand?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 194
GollyGTFC
March 31, 2023, 11:50am

Whiskey Drinker

The council could help with a new stadium. Plenty of other council's have. I appreciate that is probably unlikely until the Tories are removed from power nationally and locally.

Other council's have provided loans. Other council have helped with infrastructure improvements (roads etc...) which they can recoup by income from the newly regenerated area around the stadium attracting new business. Other councils have built and owned, either fully or partly, the stadium, As long as the tenant pays a fair rent that gives value to local taxpayers what's the problem?

A partnership between Grimsby Town FC & North East Lincolnshire Council seems the best way of delivering a new stadium.

North East Lincolnshire doesn't have a good quality cinema and entertainment complex. Such as the one at Rushden Lakes or Glasshoughton. Is a new stadium as part of a larger scheme viable?

The club's owners are in bed with AFC Wimbledon as part of the Fair Game initiative aren't they? The way they built the new Plough Lane is a great example of how to do it. They've built a fantastic Main Stand with all the facilities they need along side 3 smaller, good quality semi-permanent/long-term temporary stands that they plan to replace as and when they need them for the growth of their club. And when they do replace them they will be able to sell the existing stands to smaller clubs to reassemble elsewhere.

I think this "we're Grimsby, we can't a new stadium" line is a load of BS. I think too many locals in NEL have become institutionalised into thinking projects like a new stadium happen elsewhere, but not in Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 84 - 194
arryarryarry
March 31, 2023, 12:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The council could help with a new stadium. Plenty of other council's have. I appreciate that is probably unlikely until the Tories are removed from power nationally and locally.

Other council's have provided loans. Other council have helped with infrastructure improvements (roads etc...) which they can recoup by income from the newly regenerated area around the stadium attracting new business. Other councils have built and owned, either fully or partly, the stadium, As long as the tenant pays a fair rent that gives value to local taxpayers what's the problem?

A partnership between Grimsby Town FC & North East Lincolnshire Council seems the best way of delivering a new stadium.

North East Lincolnshire doesn't have a good quality cinema and entertainment complex. Such as the one at Rushden Lakes or Glasshoughton. Is a new stadium as part of a larger scheme viable?

The club's owners are in bed with AFC Wimbledon as part of the Fair Game initiative aren't they? The way they built the new Plough Lane is a great example of how to do it. They've built a fantastic Main Stand with all the facilities they need along side 3 smaller, good quality semi-permanent/long-term temporary stands that they plan to replace as and when they need them for the growth of their club. And when they do replace them they will be able to sell the existing stands to smaller clubs to reassemble elsewhere.

I think this "we're Grimsby, we can't a new stadium" line is a load of BS. I think too many locals in NEL have become institutionalised into thinking projects like a new stadium happen elsewhere, but not in Grimsby.

When Labour get into power it would likely be called the Suzy/Eddie (or what he/she/it is called this week) Izzard Stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 194
ska face
March 31, 2023, 12:22pm

Vodka Drinker
LOL! 😂😂😂😂👍🇬🇧
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 194
Chrisblor
March 31, 2023, 12:22pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from arryarryarry

When Labour get into power it would likely be called the Suzy/Eddie (or what he/she/it is called this week) Izzard Stadium.

Can you expand on why this would be the case please. I am not sure I understand.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 194
Maringer
March 31, 2023, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Can you expand on why this would be the case please. I am not sure I understand.

The 'War on Wokery' is obviously working on some people. Just like the billionaires want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 194
grimps
March 31, 2023, 2:21pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

To be fair Labour never seemed to help much in the 25 years we was looking to move to a stadium while they was in charge .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 194
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 31, 2023, 6:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not allowed to use the word ‘stadium’ anymore due to fact that the woke arena’s, ground’s and the right wing showground’s get offended to the root of their foundations

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 194
Vance Warner
April 1, 2023, 8:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,828
Gold Stars: 105
You can’t even have a discussion about a new ground without someone trying to turn it into some sort of imaginary battle against wokeness. It’s a absolute nonsense word that seems to have replaced political correctness as the go to phrase for anyone who doesn’t want to be a d1ck about other people. I couldn’t care less what Eddie Izzard identifies as that’s up to them. I do know that they’ve shown more guts and determination that most people are capable of and would recommend anyone watching the documentary about their marathon exploits. Anyway hope nobody anti woke is offended by that because I guess that would make them woke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 194
arryarryarry
April 1, 2023, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Vance Warner
You can’t even have a discussion about a new ground without someone trying to turn it into some sort of imaginary battle against wokeness. It’s a absolute nonsense word that seems to have replaced political correctness as the go to phrase for anyone who doesn’t want to be a d1ck about other people. I couldn’t care less what Eddie Izzard identifies as that’s up to them. I do know that they’ve shown more guts and determination that most people are capable of and would recommend anyone watching the documentary about their marathon exploits. Anyway hope nobody anti woke is offended by that because I guess that would make them woke.

I don't give a toss what people call themselves except that a man who identifies as a woman should not be allowed to have access to women only places such as toilets and jails.

My problem is when lunatics are in charge of the asylum, thankfully some sense was brought in when that lunatic Sturgeon had to resign following her views that a man should be allowed into a women's prison just because he wanted to be know as a woman.

Starmer also needs to come out against that otherwise he could lose a lot of women voters.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 194
Vance Warner
April 1, 2023, 5:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,828
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't give a toss what people call themselves except that a man who identifies as a woman should not be allowed to have access to women only places such as toilets and jails.

My problem is when lunatics are in charge of the asylum, thankfully some sense was brought in when that lunatic Sturgeon had to resign following her views that a man should be allowed into a women's prison just because he wanted to be know as a woman.

Starmer also needs to come out against that otherwise he could lose a lot of women voters.

Don’t get why with all the problems facing this country at the moment the issue of whether someone goes in a cubicle in a male or female toilet is a vote changer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 194
The Caterham Mariner
April 1, 2023, 5:51pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Gilbertswand

Hhmm !! Think we might be getting somewhere  got my lottery on tonight just in case i can knock on BP's door with an intention to invest "You have to have a dream..To have a dream come true!" I will let you know tomorrow  morning UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 194
denni266
April 2, 2023, 9:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Selling bits of the old main stand is a great idea .fans would buy just about anything just to have a reminder of the old place.. It would be a case of  do you need it  erm no   what are you going to do with it   erm dont know yet   do you want it    Hell yeh we would  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 194
Zero_as_a_limit
April 2, 2023, 11:11am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +109
Gold Stars: 1
Haven't heard anything of Tom Shutes for a while. I thought of his stadium plan when I saw this (a similar sized dock at Govan shipyard that has been filled in over the past few weeks):

https://twitter.com/geoallison/status/1641025063301382144/photo/1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 194
The Caterham Mariner
April 2, 2023, 12:32pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from denni266
Selling bits of the old main stand is a great idea .fans would buy just about anything just to have a reminder of the old place.. It would be a case of  do you need it  erm no   what are you going to do with it   erm dont know yet   do you want it    Hell yeh we would  

Ok might i add for those "cranky" enough
1. Metalwork = Barbeque stands for those  hardcore fans who have built "Town " mancaves in their back gardens.
2. Woodwork = i.Outdoor Picnic benches
                          ii. Fireplace surrounds
                          iii. Shelving for your "Mariners" memorabilia.
You get the idea funny what you think about bored at work..
So don't burn it down!!
UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 194
headingly_mariner
April 2, 2023, 12:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,393
Does the club own the land at cheapside? I imagine that would have considerable value if the council allowed houses to be built on it.

The council could also help the club with land for a training ground and I hope the preferred site is council land.

Money generated from the change of training ground could potentially be the key to redeveloping Blundell park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 194
AdamHaddock
April 2, 2023, 1:37pm

Main Stander
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
I'd pay a tenner for the chesseburgers sign

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 194
GrimPol
April 2, 2023, 1:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -786
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Vance Warner

Don’t get why with all the problems facing this country at the moment the issue of whether someone goes in a cubicle in a male or female toilet is a vote changer.

Sorry, missed the start of this. Is Eddie Izzard going to play for the Mariners, hence we need to accommodate a third changing room when not building a stadium.
A bit confused
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 194
GrimPol
April 2, 2023, 2:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Didn't they use to institutionalise people who thought they were someone else? You know like Napoleon/Hitler/Elvis. Things have changed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 194
The Caterham Mariner
April 2, 2023, 2:36pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I'd pay a tenner for the chesseburgers sign

👍😎make a note of that!!
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 194
ginnywings
April 2, 2023, 4:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I would imagine that if the Main Stand is ever demolished, most of the timber will be recycled. There are plenty of people willing to spend good money on quality aged timber, which is far better than the modern quick grown variety. Same goes for any metal recovered.

There would also definitely be a market for memorabilia from the stand and items made from parts of it.

Not a lot goes to landfill nowadays, or gets burned as used to be the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 194
The Caterham Mariner
April 2, 2023, 4:32pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I would imagine that if the Main Stand is ever demolished, most of the timber will be recycled. There are plenty of people willing to spend good money on quality aged timber, which is far better than the modern quick grown variety. Same goes for any metal recovered.

There would also definitely be a market for memorabilia from the stand and items made from parts of it.

Not a lot goes to landfill nowadays, or gets burned as used to be the case.

Thank you joking aside seriously  money to be made  for Club and Mariners Trust
On something silly an idea.
I saw this in action at The Barracks  Caterham on a Regimental Comrades  reunion  day  where they sold off bricks from the Guardroom / jail to old soldiers  they were quote "Flying off the shelves!"
Cash to towards Regimental Funds & military charities.....Job done.
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 194
toontown
April 2, 2023, 5:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Does the club own the land at cheapside? I imagine that would have considerable value if the council allowed houses to be built on it.

The council could also help the club with land for a training ground and I hope the preferred site is council land.

Money generated from the change of training ground could potentially be the key to redeveloping Blundell park.

No the club doesn't owncheapside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 194
OddShapedBalls
April 3, 2023, 9:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from denni266

I can imagine it now:

"what the hell is that?"
" urinal trough from the main stand, they were just giving it away!  Can you believe that! I gave them £50 anyway couldn't just take it"
"........that's not coming in my house!  I thought you went for the cheeseburger sign anyway?"
"someone had already bought it for £10. this was all they had left - anyway we could do a water feature with it, you've always wanted a water feature darling...."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 194
The Caterham Mariner
April 3, 2023, 10:54am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

I can imagine it now:

"what the hell is that?"
" urinal trough from the main stand, they were just giving it away!  Can you believe that! I gave them £50 anyway couldn't just take it"
"........that's not coming in my house!  I thought you went for the cheeseburger sign anyway?"
"someone had already bought it for £10. this was all they had left - anyway we could do a water feature with it, you've always wanted a water feature darling...."
🤣😂
Yes i know your taking the " Urinal"  But have a look at  English Recaim
For example old fashioned Belfast Sinks
depending on condition up to £70 ago a favorite of mine.
Work with me Not against me.
UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 194
OddShapedBalls
April 3, 2023, 11:25am
Table Wine Drinker
🤣😂
UTM

Oh definitely, some of it will be only fit for landfill but there's plenty of money in the old stuff especially timbers etc as someone has mentioned.  The Belfasts are probably helped by being £400+ brand new tbf but I get your point totally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 194
lew chaterleys lover
April 3, 2023, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
🤣😂
UTM

Remember the sinks are for ladies only.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 194
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 3, 2023, 5:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
When the main stand got redeveloped because of the popplewell enquiry, we actually bought some of the seats and had them in our garden in barnoldby. Not sure what happened to them but I used to love lining up the three sets we had and making it (nothing like) the main stand

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 194
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2023, 6:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
I went past the New York Stadium the other day. Incredible compared to Millmoor and miles ahead of anything we have at BP and could build on the confined footprint that BP is built on.

But we don’t need a new stadium apparently.

I like 1878, but they are either deluded or liars if they say a new stadium isn’t a priority.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 111 - 194
ska face
April 3, 2023, 6:56pm

Vodka Drinker
In terms of funding, I was amazed at how much Wimbledon raised through their bond scheme. Over £10m I think it was in the end, raised through a form of crowdfunding.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 194
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2023, 11:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face
In terms of funding, I was amazed at how much Wimbledon raised through their bond scheme. Over £10m I think it was in the end, raised through a form of crowdfunding.

Yeah and they didn’t even fill Kingsmeadow regularly when you factor in STHs not attending, empty seats in the away end and capacity lost to segregation.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 113 - 194
OddShapedBalls
April 4, 2023, 8:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

The problem with bond schemes is that you need to pay them all back eventually, with interest, and then it all goes a bit wasps .....  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 194
April 4, 2023, 12:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I went past the New York Stadium the other day. Incredible compared to Millmoor and miles ahead of anything we have at BP and could build on the confined footprint that BP is built on.

I like 1878, but they are either deluded or liars if they say a new stadium isn’t a priority.

I'll start by saying that no-one is more convinced than I am that we need a new stadium.

So let's say JS and AP - perhaps swayed by the documented wisdom of the Fishy - decide tomorrow that a new stadium
is now the top priority for the football club.

How exactly do people think they might set about this?
Genuine question, which probably equates to "how can we ethically stump up around 40m quid without risking the future of the club?"

Any businessperson with that amount to spare will doubtless want a significant return on it, and be a 'difficult' partner for 1878 since
JS and AP have made it clear that their investment is not based on an expected financial return.

In the circumstances that such funding could be found, I'd think it quite likely that 1878 might simply hand over the reins to the
wealthier partner (they've indicated they may just step aside if appropriate)...and we become owned by a profit-driven enterprise.
This doesn't have to turn out badly, but the football club casualties have exclusively followed this approach.

Vague references to available grants, or expectation of assistance from NELC will be laughed out of court.  

It would be perverse of 1878 to make something that was impossible to achieve their top priority, so how is it possible?

I'd be truly delighted to read a blueprint that could secure us a much-needed new home.
Reply: 115 - 194
Mappers
April 4, 2023, 1:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think they recognise in an ideal world we would have one mate ,a more realistic short to medium term objective is the training ground , although expensive ,it is a lot more viable to raise /invest 6m quid rather than 40 or 50 . Even though i think we need one ,at this moment its near impossible .

I would be quite happy with some update on the new training ground with the next few months , a proper community asset thats going to benefit everyone .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 194
jamesgtfc
April 4, 2023, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Do you have a viable business plan for how a new stadium can be achieved without crippling the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 194
mimma
April 4, 2023, 3:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
We are looking at the here and now, not the future. They talk about growth, improvement etc. If they achieve this then we will need more capacity and extra revenue that dear old Blundell Park can't give us. At what point  do we seriously start looking to move? It will take many years to come to fruition, so if we wait too long we will have to wait for the stadium to be built possibly missing out waiting. I understand that finance is the problem, but waiting too long will only push up the price and make matters worse.
As Lincoln have found out, they can't compete with the big teams in the first division and have come to a full stop. We will have the same problem if we go up and any momentum will be lost.
We really need to be trying to sort it out now if we are serious about growing as a club because B P will hold us back.
And no, I don't know where the money will come from and our council will be sod all help.
Good luck Town trying to sort it out!
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 194
diehardmariner
April 4, 2023, 3:30pm
Vodka Drinker
We don't have the money to build it and the costs at the minute would make it impossible to repay the outlay, wouldn't it?

Retail units are dead in the water, that boat has sailed.  It won't be a housing development either.  If we ever do move to a new stadium, I can only see it coming as part of some linkage with one of the big offshore energy firms.  They're the only route to a pot of cash needed that I can think of.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 194
Marinerdan
April 4, 2023, 6:23pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
The council seem to have gone all in on Freshney Place, that’s probably a 60m+ project. There’s a number of other half completed schemes all over Grimsby and Cleethorpes that will need funding too.

Really can’t see them being a realistic source of funding.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 194
Norseman
April 5, 2023, 12:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 48
Better to try and find  the money  and turn BP into a 10000 seater .Possibly buy houses on Harrington st ,turn the pitch round ,build new main and extend ponny and Osmond .Although might still be too expensive .So just alter main stand and close in open corners for 10000 seats
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 194
GYinScuntland
April 5, 2023, 1:17am

Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Over a quarter of a century and still not a sniff of the new ground.
Some have said we don't fill BP, that might as be, but what incentive is there to first attract, then keep new or floating fans anyway?
It's well documented although I haven't got the figures, that a good proportion of clubs with new grounds see an increase in supporters through the turnstiles. It's then up to them to keep them interested.
On a personal note after visiting out of the way developments on retail parks or miles from the town centre, it's my idea of hell.
At the same time I realise it's not always viable to redevelope your ground or relocate somewhere near.
Notts County and Millwall are prime examples of getting both options spot on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 194
Mappers
April 5, 2023, 6:10am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Norseman
Better to try and find  the money  and turn BP into a 10000 seater .Possibly buy houses on Harrington st ,turn the pitch round ,build new main and extend ponny and Osmond .Although might still be too expensive .So just alter main stand and close in open corners for 10000 seats

If we did stay at BP i think although the increase in capacity would be great , for the main stand improving disabled facilities and having no restricted view seats would make many happy ,if we did just extend the main and fill in the cage you would have thought it would add 800-1000 .

As part of this you could make a much improved directors box/posh seats and free up the block in the upper for regular seats (i dont know if seats can be added there )

Then you could fill the other 2 corners with the covered temporary stands, you would probably be looking at an 11k ish capacity then .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 194
lew chaterleys lover
April 5, 2023, 8:41am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

If we did stay at BP i think although the increase in capacity would be great , for the main stand improving disabled facilities and having no restricted view seats would make many happy ,if we did just extend the main and fill in the cage you would have thought it would add 800-1000 .

As part of this you could make a much improved directors box/posh seats and free up the block in the upper for regular seats (i dont know if seats can be added there )

Then you could fill the other 2 corners with the covered temporary stands, you would probably be looking at an 11k ish capacity then .

Well Bournemouth in the Premier league have a capacity of 11500 so there is hope yet.

Perhaps this is their plan - rise up the leagues when presumably far more people would be interested in getting on the bandwagon of a new ground?

Rising up the leagues won't be easy though, obviously.

Private Message
Reply: 124 - 194
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 5, 2023, 10:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

that's my viewpoint too. its simple (on paper, not financially), just extend the main stand so that it joins onto the pontoon and change the roofing so that it is identical to the pontoon and above the eyeline leaving unrestricted views.  

IF, and a massive if, we ever were lucky enough to get a new stadium, id like us to copy the blueprint of the vaxjo arena in Sweden

Attachment: blunpk_4103.jpg
Size: 442.99 KB

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 194
mariner91
April 5, 2023, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262

Well Bournemouth in the Premier league have a capacity of 11500 so there is hope yet.

Perhaps this is their plan - rise up the leagues when presumably far more people would be interested in getting on the bandwagon of a new ground?

Rising up the leagues won't be easy though, obviously.

Having a billionaire backer helps though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 194
GollyGTFC
April 5, 2023, 10:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Let’s go through the leagues and see how many clubs have had a new stadium since 1988…

Premier League: 10/20 (including Everton from August 2024) new stadiums.
Championship: 12/24 new stadiums.
League One: 10/24 (including Charlton returning to Valley) new stadium.
League Two 7/24 new stadiums.
National League 8/24 new stadiums.

So that’s 47 new stadiums out of the 116 clubs playing in nationwide leagues. That’s over 40%. If all those clubs can build one and it not bankrupt them, why can’t we? It’s little Grimsby syndrome.

The club only finished paying off the mortgage on the Findus Stand a few years ago didn’t we? Around 2019 I think. Did that stop us competing for nearly 40 years? No.

I have no problem with 1878 being unable to build a new stadium as sole owners. I do have a problem with the propaganda and lies that have been said to try and jusitify it as not required.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 127 - 194
Zero_as_a_limit
April 5, 2023, 11:19am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +109
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

that's my viewpoint too. its simple (on paper, not financially), just extend the main stand so that it joins onto the pontoon and change the roofing so that it is identical to the pontoon and above the eyeline leaving unrestricted views.  

IF, and a massive if, we ever were lucky enough to get a new stadium, id like us to copy the blueprint of the vaxjo arena in Sweden

Quite nice as 12,000 capacity stadiums go:
[img]https://c8.alamy.com/zooms/9/849bb07e19dd403ab13f2284ce463ed4/tbgwaj.jpg[/img]

I quite like Maastricht's (10,000 seat) ground, particularly the way they have tried to disguise it as an office block from the outside: [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bb/fa/ac/bbfaac633b50e8f5a466f629c839a858.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 194
ska face
April 5, 2023, 11:32am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I have no problem with 1878 being unable to build a new stadium as sole owners. I do have a problem with the propaganda and lies that have been said to try and jusitify it as not required.

Propaganda? Have a word with yourself for fùcks sake, you’re absolutely unhinged. Not sure saying in a Q&A that there isn’t an enormous case for a new ground to be a burning priority, on the basis of 18-months of attendance figures, counts as propaganda.
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 194
diehardmariner
April 5, 2023, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Let’s go through the leagues and see how many clubs have had a new stadium since 1988…

So that’s 47 new stadiums out of the 116 clubs playing in nationwide leagues. That’s over 40%. If all those clubs can build one and it not bankrupt them, why can’t we? It’s little Grimsby syndrome.

The club only finished paying off the mortgage on the Findus Stand a few years ago didn’t we? Around 2019 I think. Did that stop us competing for nearly 40 years? No.

How many built in the last 5 years though?

Whilst I agree with the notion that there's this idea that we can't have something in Grimsby, a mortgage on a new stadium would absolutely dwarf the one we had on the Findus.  
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 194
Poojah
April 5, 2023, 11:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from GollyGTFC

There is no doubt that for the club to ever aspire to be more than a bottom feeding League One outfit (and yes, I’m acutely aware that we’ve failed to achieve even those heights for the last 20 hears), we need a new stadium. A stadium the likes of which won’t realistically fit on the site of BP.

I don’t think anyone can seriously dispute that a modern stadium of appropriate size (see Darlington for how not to do it) would be massively beneficial to the club, on and off the pitch. As a self-confessed stadium nerd myself, I’d love absolutely nothing more.

The practicalities are incredibly difficult, however. Using 1988 as a yard stick is fine if you want to examine how previous custodians missed the boat and failed to deliver a new ground, but not all that relevant to the realities of today. A lot has happened in the world since then, or perhaps more specifically, since 2020.

Everyone is very much aware of the high level of inflation that is affecting everyone in almost every aspect of their life right now, but in the construction industry it’s at another level altogether. I’ve seen figures as high as 110% for some fundamental materials, and that’s a problem when you want to build a large-scale building like a stadium. This rather boring graph gives you some idea as to the scale of the challenge.

[img]https://www.base-4.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Construction-Materials-Prices.jpg[/img]

In November last year, Luton CEO Gary Sweet was quoted saying that their proposed new stadium at Power Court would cost £30m more than it would have done 3 years ago.

I’m sure we would all want any new ground to be unique, but I think the best realistic like-for-like comparison currently in England is probably Rotherham’s New York stadium; 12,000 capacity with room for expansion. That cost £20m just over 10 years ago, which would translate to a build cost between £35m and £40m today.

That’s a huge amount of money for a club like town to find. Roughly 10x our current turnover, for context. To my knowledge, there are a few basic ways clubs can raise finance to fund stadium builds; these include:

- Football / government grants
- Local council contributions
- Sponsorship (e.g. stadium / stand naming rights)
- Owner capital
- Borrowing

Let’s optimistically suggest that we can secure the first £10m of funding through grants, support from the council (yeah right) and an initial round of naming rights. That still leaves a gap of between £25m and £30m - still an enormous amount of money.

I’m not completely aware of Jason Stockwood and Andrew Petitt’s wealth, but to my knowledge it is not so sufficient that they could plunge tens of millions into a new ground, either as gifts or interest-free, ahem, “benign” loans. But let’s play devil’s advocate and assume they can support another £10m of funding between them, however unlikely that may be.

We now “only” need to find £15m - £20m. Which leaves us with borrowing. There’s a fundamental challenge here in that no traditional business lender is going to lend a football club that sort of money, secured against a football ground in Grimsby that would have little tangible value in the event the club went bust and defaulted on the loan.

But let’s even ignore that technicality. What would a 25-year mortgage cost on a £15m loan? You’re looking at £1m - £1.5m per year, assuming interest rates don’t go crazy (and they may well might). Perhaps not an insurmountable figure when potential revenue increases are factored-in, but still potentially risky when the uncertainties of a quarter of a century are considered. Could the club survive another pandemic, financial crisis, major conflict, alien invasion etc. with such a debt hanging over its head?

And this is an optimistic outlook. It’s likely the club would in fact have to raise way more through borrowing than this, which they’d be unlikely if not simply unable to get, for the aforementioned reasons.

Ultimately, I think the constant debate of should we or shouldn’t move to a new stadium is pointless. If it becomes a viable option then of course we should. The challenge is how we make it viable. A better discussion is how we realistically fund it, because in the current environment it looks very difficult to deliver, at least to this construction and finance layman. I’d be absolutely cóck-a-hoop to be proven wrong on that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 194
April 5, 2023, 12:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC

As I posted earlier on this thread, for me the question is not "why can't we?" but "how can we?".

Most of the years since 1988 we found ourselves in a coma induced by the stagnant Fenty regime.
They were wasted years, and times are more difficult now - unless a GTFC-friendly billionaire shows up.

My impression of the comments from 1878 on this issue are not that 'a new stadium is not required', but that 'a new stadium
is not urgently required at the moment' so it's on the back burner (whilst we sort out a ton of stuff neglected by Fenty).
I'm happy to be corrected on that, because your posts are always strong on detail (as is the one above).
I don't agree with them on that btw - but I can understand why they choose to look at it that way.

The plan that JS and AP have is about invigorating the whole town and removing the 'little Grimsby' mentality you mention.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt (to which they're entitled imo) they may feel that declaring "yes we need a new stadium
but we can't afford one" is a touch too negative for the said agenda. (Though this is what I believe the situation is.)

So back to my question...how can we build a new stadium we can't afford?
Reply: 132 - 194
ska face
April 5, 2023, 12:11pm

Vodka Drinker
A more appropriate comparison would be looking at how many stadiums have been planned and built, from start to finish, since the financial crash in 2008. The financial climate is substantially different now to what it was in the early 2000s, and we’re now looking at the permanent end of low interest rates. House building is grinding to a halt for a number of reasons, major public infrastructure spending also a thing of the past unless you live in a big city which is being kept afloat by property speculation.
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 194
OddShapedBalls
April 5, 2023, 12:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Pretty certain if we did go for a mortgage, pretty much nobody would want to give us one currently - the only assets we could offer would be the stadium we are building plus the Blundell Park land with a history of yo-yo'ing in and out of the league and 2 years of good gate receipts.

I fully believe the lads in charge have thought about it and decided us keeping up high demand for tickets over 5 years and getting into league 1 with a good 5 years history of financial prudence makes going and asking for funding a whole different ballgame confidence-wise.  There is a grand plan at work but it'll take time.

That being said why we can't just fill the corners in with temp seating for next season I don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 194
chaos33
April 5, 2023, 12:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from Poojah

There is no doubt that for the club to ever aspire to be more than a bottom feeding League One outfit (and yes, I’m acutely aware that we’ve failed to achieve even those heights for the last 20 hears), we need a new stadium. A stadium the likes of which won’t realistically fit on the site of BP.

I don’t think anyone can seriously dispute that a modern stadium of appropriate size (see Darlington for how not to do it) would be massively beneficial to the club, on and off the pitch. As a self-confessed stadium nerd myself, I’d love absolutely nothing more.

The practicalities are incredibly difficult, however. Using 1988 as a yard stick is fine if you want to examine how previous custodians missed the boat and failed to deliver a new ground, but not all that relevant to the realities of today. A lot has happened in the world since then, or perhaps more specifically, since 2020.

Everyone is very much aware of the high level of inflation that is affecting everyone in almost every aspect of their life right now, but in the construction industry it’s at another level altogether. I’ve seen figures as high as 110% for some fundamental materials, and that’s a problem when you want to build a large-scale building like a stadium. This rather boring graph gives you some idea as to the scale of the challenge.

[img]https://www.base-4.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Construction-Materials-Prices.jpg[/img]

In November last year, Luton CEO Gary Sweet was quoted saying that their proposed new stadium at Power Court would cost £30m more than it would have done 3 years ago.

I’m sure we would all want any new ground to be unique, but I think the best realistic like-for-like comparison currently in England is probably Rotherham’s New York stadium; 12,000 capacity with room for expansion. That cost £20m just over 10 years ago, which would translate to a build cost between £35m and £40m today.

That’s a huge amount of money for a club like town to find. Roughly 10x our current turnover, for context. To my knowledge, there are a few basic ways clubs can raise finance to fund stadium builds; these include:

- Owner capital
- Borrowing

Let’s optimistically suggest that we can secure the first £10m of funding through grants, support from the council (yeah right) and an initial round of naming rights. That still leaves a gap of between £25m and £30m - still an enormous amount of money.

I’m not completely aware of Jason Stockwood and Andrew Petitt’s wealth, but to my knowledge it is not so sufficient that they could plunge tens of millions into a new ground, either as gifts or interest-free, ahem, “benign” loans. But let’s play devil’s advocate and assume they can support another £10m of funding between them, however unlikely that may be.

We now “only” need to find £15m - £20m. Which leaves us with borrowing. There’s a fundamental challenge here in that no traditional business lender is going to lend a football club that sort of money, secured against a football ground in Grimsby that would have little tangible value in the event the club went bust and defaulted on the loan.

But let’s even ignore that technicality. What would a 25-year mortgage cost on a £15m loan? You’re looking at £1m - £1.5m per year, assuming interest rates don’t go crazy (and they may well might). Perhaps not an insurmountable figure when potential revenue increases are factored-in, but still potentially risky when the uncertainties of a quarter of a century are considered. Could the club survive another pandemic, financial crisis, major conflict, alien invasion etc. with such a debt hanging over its head?

And this is an optimistic outlook. It’s likely the club would in fact have to raise way more through borrowing than this, which they’d be unlikely if not simply unable to get, for the aforementioned reasons.

Ultimately, I think the constant debate of should we or shouldn’t move to a new stadium is pointless. If it becomes a viable option then of course we should. The challenge is how we make it viable. A better discussion is how we realistically fund it, because in the current environment it looks very difficult to deliver, at least to this construction and finance layman. I’d be absolutely cóck-a-hoop to be proven wrong on that.

Is the definitive, debate-ending, realistic post on this subject.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 194
April 5, 2023, 12:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
Pretty certain if we did go for a mortgage, pretty much nobody would want to give us one currently - the only assets we could offer would be the stadium we are building plus the Blundell Park land with a history of yo-yo'ing in and out of the league and 2 years of good gate receipts.

I fully believe the lads in charge have thought about it and decided us keeping up high demand for tickets over 5 years and getting into league 1 with a good 5 years history of financial prudence makes going and asking for funding a whole different ballgame confidence-wise.  There is a grand plan at work but it'll take time.

That being said why we can't just fill the corners in with temp seating for next season I don't know.

Maybe better to have them as (safe) standing areas. No problem with reserved seats, and would enable supporters to turn up
last-minute on the day.
Reply: 136 - 194
jamesgtfc
April 5, 2023, 1:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 137

Maybe better to have them as (safe) standing areas. No problem with reserved seats, and would enable supporters to turn up
last-minute on the day.

We were in Division One in 1994 so we can't have safe standing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 194
ska face
April 5, 2023, 1:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Not sure on the legislation around that. Newcastle are introducing safe standing and plenty of other Champ/Prem clubs have introduced it -

https://www.skysports.com/amp/.....rs-the-key-questions
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 194
HerveJosse
April 5, 2023, 1:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

- Owner capital
- Borrowing

More owners. Lincoln have about twenty individual and business owners who have funded their transformation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 194
jamesgtfc
April 5, 2023, 1:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Not sure on the legislation around that. Newcastle are introducing safe standing and plenty of other Champ/Prem clubs have introduced it -

I assumed that we could not install them as part of this new initiative because we are not in the top two divisions, but that article says 63 clubs can apply to install safe standing. My initial thought there is that there are 29 clubs in the 92 that have a terrace of some description, so surely we are not one of the 29 who can't do it based on that?

My view on safe standing is that it should be part of an extension of BP rather than tearing out existing seats because it's a 1:1 change; swapping the Pontoon for safe standing would not increase our capacity so it seems a waste of money when you consider what work BP actually needs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 194
lew chaterleys lover
April 5, 2023, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

True, but is he responsible for taking them from league 2, or did he arrive when things were looking up?

More concerning is even a billionaire hasn't provided a new ground as yet.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 194
Poojah
April 5, 2023, 1:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508

True, but is he responsible for taking them from league 2, or did he arrive when things were looking up?

Bournemouth were in the League One relegation zone when they were bought by a Russian billionaire in 2011.

Eddie Howe then returned to the club a year later (after Paul Groves was sacked as manager) and deserves credit for taking them all the way through to the PL in just a few seasons, but they are no fairytale. They wouldn’t be where they are now, and owned by an American billionaire, without the massive outside investment they received.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 194
mariner91
April 5, 2023, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Not sure to be honest but I think they fell foul of FFP rules around the time they were first promoted to the PL.

Edit: Poojah has answered it above.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 194
Limerick Mariner
April 5, 2023, 2:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Absolutely should we apply if/when we fill in the Harrington Street corner - we are eligible. 1878 said that safe standing would reduce capacity in our existing stands - that is because the underlying terracing is not sized efficiently for s/s, but for new build / modular stands we'd be able to do it and it's what we need.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 194
grimsby pete
April 5, 2023, 3:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
I am all for a new stadium but understand the reasons why it is not possible at the moment so I would like 1878 to look at extending the main stand the full length of the pitch.plus if possible put seating or safe standing in the Imp corner.

This should bring our capacity up to 11,000 +. which would be enough for several seasons to come.

I also understand why 1878 might not want other investors coming in on their baby but they can vet them and make sure they are aboard with all their plans and refuse them if they dont.

I would pay for all this work myself if I won the lottery but sadly my biggest win up to date as only been  £5- 75 p

BUT

I live in hope.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 194
MarinerDevil
April 5, 2023, 3:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
I think the excellent post earlier from Poojah shows the mountain we have to climb to get into a position where we can even think about financing a new stadium, and so I think the owners' decision to assign it lower priority than other issues is very reasonable.

We are about to see the largest nominal investment in the club's history with the development of a £6m training facility which will benefit both the club and the community. We need to improve BP as well, but let's take it step by step.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 194
GrimPol
April 5, 2023, 4:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I assumed that we could not install them as part of this new initiative because we are not in the top two divisions, but that article says 63 clubs can apply to install safe standing. My initial thought there is that there are 29 clubs in the 92 that have a terrace of some description, so surely we are not one of the 29 who can't do it based on that?

My view on safe standing is that it should be part of an extension of BP rather than tearing out existing seats because it's a 1:1 change; swapping the Pontoon for safe standing would not increase our capacity so it seems a waste of money when you consider what work BP actually needs.

" The Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) has published an application process for league 1 and 2 clubs in the English Football League (EFL) who are permitted to, and wish to install dual-purpose seating and standing areas.

The SGSA issues licenses to clubs in the Premier League and the EFL Championship, Wembley, and the Principality Stadium as a means to enforce the Government's all-seater policy. Standing accommodation is permitted at grounds in leagues 1 and 2 for clubs that have not previously been in the Premier League or Championship for more than three years. The Government’s all-seater policy does not allow standing accommodation at the grounds of clubs that have been in the Premier League or Championship for more than three years."

"does not allow standing accommodation at the grounds of clubs that have been in the Premier League or Championship for more than three years" could be a problem, if indeed all other criteria are met.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 194
grimps
April 5, 2023, 4:39pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am all for a new stadium but understand the reasons why it is not possible at the moment so I would like 1878 to look at extending the main stand the full length of the pitch.plus if possible put seating or safe standing in the Imp corner.

This should bring our capacity up to 11,000 +. which would be enough for several seasons to come.

I also understand why 1878 might not want other investors coming in on their baby but they can vet them and make sure they are aboard with all their plans and refuse them if they dont.

I would pay for all this work myself if I won the lottery but sadly my biggest win up to date as only been  £5- 75 p

BUT

I live in hope.

I’ve always said I’d pay for the new ground if I won big on the Euro millions.
All I’d want in return is Two executive boxes either end of the ground , one for family and one for my mates ( I wouldn’t want the two groups mixing 😉)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 194
Limerick Mariner
April 5, 2023, 4:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

" The Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) has published an application process for league 1 and 2 clubs in the English Football League (EFL) who are permitted to, and wish to install dual-purpose seating and standing areas.

The SGSA issues licenses to clubs in the Premier League and the EFL Championship, Wembley, and the Principality Stadium as a means to enforce the Government's all-seater policy. Standing accommodation is permitted at grounds in leagues 1 and 2 for clubs that have not previously been in the Premier League or Championship for more than three years. The Government’s all-seater policy does not allow standing accommodation at the grounds of clubs that have been in the Premier League or Championship for more than three years."

"does not allow standing accommodation at the grounds of clubs that have been in the Premier League or Championship for more than three years" could be a problem, if indeed all other criteria are met.

That refers to the old-style standing (not safe standing) which is still permitted at grounds of clubs that haven't been in the Prem or Championship for more than 3 years. We couldn't do old style standing but could do safe standing as per the other article - we are one of the 63 clubs that would qualify to install safe standing. As above, there is no point in paying out to convert existing seating areas and as Andrew Petit, I think said, it would actually reduce capacity. For any new build areas we should do it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 194
Heisenberg
April 5, 2023, 6:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Unfortunately Poojah and others are absolutely right, we cannot afford a new stadium. At all. Not unless a fan wins the Euromillions.

So, redeveloping BP it is. However, we don’t have money for that either. Some have mentioned “extending the main stand”, but extending a structure that is only good for demolition is not an option.

It’s been said before but, the corners either side of the ponny need filling in, and ideally a new roof put over the pontoon and corners to encompass all 3, hopefully with rail seats.

Then the main stand needs knocking down and replacing to join up with the corner. Then the Osmond needs demolishing and rebuilding to join with the main. 3 years, lots of money, but we’d probably have 7,000 seats throughout, which would suffice temporarily.

Still a pipe dream.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 194
LN8Mariner
April 5, 2023, 7:17pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +329
Quoted from Heisenberg
Then the main stand needs knocking down and replacing to join up with the corner. Then the Osmond needs demolishing and rebuilding to join with the main. 3 years, lots of money, but we’d probably have 7,000 seats throughout, which would suffice temporarily.

Still a pipe dream.

Or buy all the houses in Harrington Street behind the Main, build a second tier behind it and once that’s built clear the Main for the lower tier… not sure how long we’d have to wait or how much we’d need to buy those houses though. Could even move the pitch closer to the railway to create some space where the Findus is for some reason as yet undetermined! 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 194
Heisenberg
April 5, 2023, 8:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from LN8Mariner

Or buy all the houses in Harrington Street behind the Main, build a second tier behind it and once that’s built clear the Main for the lower tier… not sure how long we’d have to wait or how much we’d need to buy those houses though. Could even move the pitch closer to the railway to create some space where the Findus is for some reason as yet undetermined! 😂

This isn’t Anfield, mate!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 194
Mappers
April 5, 2023, 8:31pm
Champagne Drinker
.....11 tickets left for Friday now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 194
Mappers
April 5, 2023, 8:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

And with the amount EPL and Championship clubs gain from TV and Commercial revenue dwarfs the attendances of clubs that much it makes it basically irrelevant (hence clubs killing themselves and gambling to get there )

I have seen today Crewe have substantially increased their season ticket prices ,which has left their fans quite annoyed .

But , they need to recognise clubs at our level rely on that income much more than the big teams just to survive ,thrive and just compete .

I expect ours will rise a bit will be interesting when we announce the prices , would expect around £50 increase on adult tickets ;thats just speculating though .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 194
toontown
April 5, 2023, 9:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I expect ours will rise a bit will be interesting when we announce the prices , would expect around £50 increase on adult tickets ;thats just speculating though .

You would think in our situation a rise that is proportionally higher for season tickets than on the day prices would make sense. To discourage the purchasing of ST by those who don't actually use them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 194
ginnywings
April 5, 2023, 10:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from toontown

You would think in our situation a rise that is proportionally higher for season tickets than on the day prices would make sense. To discourage the purchasing of ST by those who don't actually use them.

As daft ideas go, that's right up there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 194
Maringer
April 5, 2023, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LN8Mariner

How many years did it take Liverpool to buy up those houses so they could extend Anfield? I remember that they've been talking about a 60 thousand seater for decades and yet it still isn't there. And that is with the club and its billionaire owners able to spend untold millions.

The idea that we can 'Just buy the houses in Harrington Street and redevelop' is detached from reality given the current economic climate and the fact that people actually live there.

Don't go looking to the council to assist much with funding for any new development, whether a new ground or a rebuild.

The grants to local government have been slashed in recent decades and they can't possibly fund the necessary services for the community, let alone spend to assist a private business. That's regardless of how important it is to the town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 194
DB
April 5, 2023, 11:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

How many years did it take Liverpool to buy up those houses so they could extend Anfield? I remember that they've been talking about a 60 thousand seater for decades and yet it still isn't there. And that is with the club and its billionaire owners able to spend untold millions.

The idea that we can 'Just buy the houses in Harrington Street and redevelop' is detached from reality given the current economic climate and the fact that people actually live there.

Don't go looking to the council to assist much with funding for any new development, whether a new ground or a rebuild.

The grants to local government have been slashed in recent decades and they can't possibly fund the necessary services for the community, let alone spend to assist a private business. That's regardless of how important it is to the town.

They can find money to buy an old leaky shopping centre that nobody else wants!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 194
ginnywings
April 5, 2023, 11:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from DB

They can find money to buy an old leaky shopping centre that nobody else wants!

I'm no apologist for the council, but they had no choice really.

They couldn't just let the centre of town die on it's ar$e.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 194
grimsby pete
April 6, 2023, 12:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
I dont know why some people call the STH who have paid thier money up front and do not attend all the games.

They have given Hursty a pot of money at the begining of the season so he will have a better chance of knowing who he can afford to sign or not sign.

Thats as long as they want to come here.

If they dont then we do not want them anyway.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 194
TheFryingSquad
April 6, 2023, 4:59am
Shandy Drinker
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from grimsby pete
I dont know why some people call the STH who have paid thier money up front and do not attend all the games.

They have given Hursty a pot of money at the begining of the season so he will have a better chance of knowing who he can afford to sign or not sign.

The key word is in your first sentence, ‘some’, it applies both ways too, ‘some’ people and ‘some’ season ticket holders.  Let’s be clear before I jump onto my well trodden soap box, I’m not a season ticket holder quite simply because I don’t live in the area.

The issue, continuing with the ‘some’ theme is that, some season ticket holders seem to hold the opinion that they’re ‘super-fans’ and that the club plus casual/pay on the days should be eternally indebted.

I acknowledge that those who pay upfront should rightfully be rewarded for their commitment in the form of limited discounts, seat choice and favourable treatment in ticket allocation for premium fixtures.  The club relies on their support because of the cash-flow benefits and subsequent reduction in commercial borrowing costs.  However, and this is the elephant in the room, those who choose to pay for a season ticket on an instalment basis or who have received further benefit through concession shouldn’t receive the same status, quite frankly and whilst still welcome, the impact of their commitment is less.

The Club doesn’t get any real benefit from the legions of exiles that attend far more away games than home, but that isn’t the fault of the exiles, they still spend considerable sums supporting the club yet receive no recognition beyond reference in interviews.  

Of course and as ever, the system conspires against fairness, the home club is the only beneficiary of away support for league games.  It would be much fairer for visiting clubs to receive an equal share, after expenses, of away support revenues.  This would perhaps encourage clubs to introduce schemes whereby exiles can receive tangible recognition for their loyalty, instead of being ignored when availability issues or premium games occur.  But I’m not holding my breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 194
Mappers
April 6, 2023, 6:13am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Exactly Pete buying one and not going is surely as high a dedication as going to all 23 games .

I mean hell if you can buy one and dont go to 1 of  23 games thats commitment

Just make sure to release the seat lol

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 194
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2023, 6:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
This is a thread that truly defines this board. We couldn’t afford a new ground at the start of it and still can’t on page 17, what’s going on here I always thought we had the answer to everything.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 194
DB
April 6, 2023, 6:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm no apologist for the council, but they had no choice really.

They couldn't just let the centre of town die on it's ar$e.

It died years ago when out of town shopping became popular, followed by Internet shopping. Some months ago I read that, in Dundee I think, they tried to sell a shopping centre for £1 and had no takers. Freshney Place and others like it killed the old fashioned  High Street and now it is their turn to be killed off. I liked it when it was new with big names etc. but the House of Fraser has been empty for some time now and others have left as mentioned in the GT.

It's a bit like our Main Stand, the old has had its day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 194
aldi_01
April 6, 2023, 7:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
The council were always portrayed as the bad guy in Fenty’s quest for a stadium but in their defence, the plots he was desperate for weren’t the right spaces and I’d imagine, having spent some time with him, they realised that allowing that idiot anywhere near a project of that size was a flipping recipe for disaster.

Christ on a bike, he and his flipping idiot cronies thought Extreme Leisure were a good outfit…did they ever deliver on that project Mr Shut up told us about?

We haven’t the money, our current owners are unlikely to borrow that sum simply to appease a few fans who get their knickers in a twist about a new ground. I’ve no doubt it’s been a discussion and they’re well aware BP isn’t modern nor really efficient anymore but they’re also well aware that other things are important, that some TLC at least helps it out (the other idiot spent zero on it really, allowing it to go to wrack and ruin simply because he was the only moron convinced we were getting a new ground).

I suspect this conversation will happen every few months and most of us will say the same, time and time again…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 194
Yarborough Vaults
April 6, 2023, 8:22am
Beer Drinker
Buying a ST in a prime spot and then not going to matches is just like putting a towel on a sunbed first thing and then doing something else for the day instead of using it.

Now I'm among many forced to sit in the shade near the bins while looking wistfully at an empty lounger by the pool!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 194
rancido
April 6, 2023, 8:41am

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Buying a ST in a prime spot and then not going to matches is just like putting a towel on a sunbed first thing and then doing something else for the day instead of using it.

Now I'm among many forced to sit in the shade near the bins while looking wistfully at an empty lounger by the pool!

The difference is that you have PAID for that ST spot and it is up to you how much you use it. Sunbeds at hotels are usually free. If you go on any beach in the regular Spanish resorts you will see 'paid for' sunbeds with towels and the occupants nowhere to be seen - they could be going for a swim, at a bar or just gone shopping.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 194
Maringer
April 6, 2023, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

It died years ago when out of town shopping became popular, followed by Internet shopping. Some months ago I read that, in Dundee I think, they tried to sell a shopping centre for £1 and had no takers. Freshney Place and others like it killed the old fashioned  High Street and now it is their turn to be killed off. I liked it when it was new with big names etc. but the House of Fraser has been empty for some time now and others have left as mentioned in the GT.

It's a bit like our Main Stand, the old has had its day.

Ah, best just give it up as a bad job then. I'm sure all the people who work in the shops will be able to find something to do with their free time. Their kids will have Mummy and Daddy at home a lot more which will no doubt make up for the increased amount of poverty they experience. Same goes for all the cafes/restaurants/pubs, which will no longer be needed due to lack of footfall. I suppose we could set up some really big soup kitchens in Freshney Place so the space doesn't go entirely to waste?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 194
diehardmariner
April 6, 2023, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
What this thread has done is emphasised that moving stadium isn't really an option, be that anymore or just for now.  

Realistically though redeveloping BP is going to a long old slog.  Let's be really honest about it, none of the four stands are really fit for purpose anymore.  If the option was there we could replace them all.  

I think it's fair to say that filling in the corners is likely to be the immediate focus, potentially the one between the Pontoon and the Main first for obvious reasons. But unless it's a separate entity, it'll be attached to one, possibly two, stands that you'll want to replace anyway.  

We want to increase capacity, I think we can all agree on that. But we've also this huge issue that whilst we can fill in the corners comparatively easily, we'll still have to replace the other four stands at some point.  It's not just about capacity in those stands, they're on their bottom.  The facilities, the infrastructure of them...everything is just dated.  In the case of the Main especially but definitely for them all, they're just going to get more and more expensive to maintain.

At some point we'll lose capacity, short-term anyway, whilst we have to rebuild those stands - or seriously renovate them anyway.  To me that makes it even more essential that we absolutely bleed dry every single space we've got in the ground to get some capacity in there, because the moment we lose the Main Stand we're 1800 seats down straight away.  Sure we can then rebuild that and maybe even increase the capacity on it to 3000, but I'd imagine the plan is then to gain as much income as possible to then rebuild the Pontoon, or the Osmond...or the Findus...

If we're staying at BP, this could be very, very slow progress.
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 194
Mappers
April 6, 2023, 10:37am
Champagne Drinker
The capacity increase needs to be a priority now really 1 and 2 good seasons and we are in a mess ,turning people away .

We dont want to be saying in over a years time if we get the fixtures and its :Lincoln , Sheff Weds , Hull and Rotherham 'we told you so '
I think then we would just max out season tickets on the fear of people missing out .

It could be small problem ,that could potentially be a bigger one not too far away .

Dont understand how people cant see this ,ironically they would probably be the ones moaning when they cant get a ticket .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 194
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2023, 10:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers
The capacity increase needs to be a priority now really 1 and 2 good seasons and we are in a mess ,turning people away .

We dont want to be saying in over a years time if we get the fixtures and its :Lincoln , Sheff Weds , Hull and Rotherham 'we told you so '
I think then we would just max out season tickets on the fear of people missing out .

It could be small problem ,that could potentially be a bigger one not too far away .

Dont understand how people cant see this ,ironically they would probably be the ones moaning when they cant get a ticket .

Isn't the priority getting a side together that will challenge fro promotion at the earliest opportunity?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 194
Mappers
April 6, 2023, 11:00am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Isn't the priority getting a side together that will challenge fro promotion at the earliest opportunity?

I think priorities can co-exist together
I mean some people would probably say leave the training ground and just spend 5 mill on the team but then you still would be at cheapside and maybe in league 1 ,but where then ?

I like the idea of incremental improvement and love the job Jason and Andrew are doing but think the increase in capacity is something that needs to be looked at sooner rather than later
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 194
grimps
April 6, 2023, 11:44am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker

Nah it was more like getting a gym membership in January as part of a New Years Resolution.
The scramble for season tickets in august soon hit reality in December after our crap home form and cold weather  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 194
mariner91
April 6, 2023, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
BRING BACK THE GREEN SEATS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 194
Meza
April 6, 2023, 1:59pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
I completely understand JS viewpoint regarding a new stadium its clear he isn't going to fork out from his own pocket which is understandable, but for me if we dont get a new stadium you dont get renewed fan interest in GTFC, what we have achieved so far is amazing but you are never going to get a complete sellout (every single seat) unless either capacity is increased or a new spanking stadium for loads to attend and see.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 194
Gaffer58
April 6, 2023, 3:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I think getting a new stadium ( haven’t a clue how it’s financed) is a bit l like getting a new manager bounce, attendances increase due to better facilities, seating etc. if you look at all those clubs that have got a new stadium in the last 20 years I would hazard a guess that the majority are in a higher league with increased attendances then prior to moving, (obviously scunny are the exception 🤣).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 194
TheRealJohnLewis
April 6, 2023, 3:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Gaffer58
I think getting a new stadium ( haven’t a clue how it’s financed) is a bit l like getting a new manager bounce, attendances increase due to better facilities, seating etc. if you look at all those clubs that have got a new stadium in the last 20 years I would hazard a guess that the majority are in a higher league with increased attendances then prior to moving, (obviously scunny are the exception 🤣).

Here's a thread of some analysis I did back in Feb...

https://twitter.com/Lewis17J/status/1626247975302270977
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 194
Nelly GTFC
April 6, 2023, 7:37pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,752
Gold Stars: 31
Time flys.... 10 years ago this year since we all signed a petition for a new stadium, all the people who signed and their comments are here: https://nelincs-consult.objective.co.uk/file/3440885

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 194
aldi_01
April 6, 2023, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Great to see Michael Jackson signed it from the grave…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 194
TheFryingSquad
April 6, 2023, 11:39pm
Shandy Drinker
The damning evidence is that we haven’t sold out yet this season versus the (alleged) capacity.  The £350k spend was declared by one of the majority  shareholders, is that a one off to see us through 3-5 years or repeatable?  

Fact is, in the last 25 years our average attendance has never got anywhere near capacity.  People can spout all they like about non-football related revenues, business seminars et al.  But seriously, is that lucrative, in Grimsby?  Maybe a reality check is in order, perhaps a wedding reception for Mack and Mabel isn’t going to provide the required revenues to justify the investment.  Maybe Jason and Andrew have called it right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 194
toontown
April 7, 2023, 12:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TheFryingSquad
The damning evidence is that we haven’t sold out yet this season

We have
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 194
TheFryingSquad
April 7, 2023, 1:12am
Shandy Drinker
Against?  Capacity versus actual.  If you’re right and I’m wrong I’ll swallow it, will you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 194
aldi_01
April 7, 2023, 7:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
I think the closest thing to a compete sellout with zero empty seats was probably Forest or Luton…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 194
aldi_01
April 7, 2023, 7:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
I think the closest thing to a compete sellout with zero empty seats was probably Forest or Luton…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 194
Mappers
April 7, 2023, 7:43am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

And thats the real capacity 8400
Not 9005 or whatever is stated like some seem to think
Could you get a ticket for the Forrest game ? NO
Can you get a ticket for today now ? NO
Could you get a ticket for Bradford,Donny or Mansfield ? NO
so thats 5 'sell outs ' off the top of my head

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 194
Mappers
April 7, 2023, 7:48am
Champagne Drinker
The damning evidence is that we haven’t sold out yet this season versus the (alleged) capacity.  The £350k spend was declared by one of the majority  shareholders, is that a one off to see us through 3-5 years or repeatable?  

Fact is, in the last 25 years our average attendance has never got anywhere near capacity.  People can spout all they like about non-football related revenues, business seminars et al.  But seriously, is that lucrative, in Grimsby?  Maybe a reality check is in order, perhaps a wedding reception for Mack and Mabel isn’t going to provide the required revenues to justify the investment.  Maybe Jason and Andrew have called it right.

But 'tickets sold has ' its probably one of  the highest % to capacity in the leagues when you take the 1200 off the 8400 =7200 averaging 6300 in the league - probably 700 ST holders not turning up (many not releasing their ticket ) so 7000 ballpark tickets sold per game thats pretty close to averaging a maxed out home end every game .

We can debate until the cows come home (somebody would like that one ) whether a better ticketing system would be adequate at this point to rectify the lack of availabilty or whether we need a much better capacity .

We have not got either yet
But IMO we need both
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 194
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 7, 2023, 7:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
In reality there’s probably 500/600 seats included in the main/osmond at the back, that are included but instead of restricted views it’s actually ‘severely restricted/no’ view. But, these will still be included as they are a physical seat. Then there’s the 300/400 or so that are taken out the equation for segregation. Others in the directors box I would’ve thought too. Therefore the maximum saleable would be nearer 8100.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 194
Mappers
April 7, 2023, 7:57am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
In reality there’s probably 500/600 seats included in the main/osmond at the back, that are included but instead of restricted views it’s actually ‘severely restricted/no’ view. But, these will still be included as they are a physical seat. Then there’s the 300/400 or so that are taken out the equation for segregation. Others in the directors box I would’ve thought too. Therefore the maximum saleable would be nearer 8100.

Those ones at the back in some places are non view ,they should probably be taken out as its not fair for someone to buy there -especially if its unknowingly, what the view will be .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 194
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 7, 2023, 8:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Those ones at the back in some places are non view ,they should probably be taken out as its not fair for someone to buy there -especially if its unknowingly, what the view will be .

I believe this is one of the views

Attachment: 216f92e551f948c590e40bece93df1a5_3820.jpeg
Size: 20.14 KB

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 194
toontown
April 7, 2023, 9:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Against?  Capacity versus actual.  If you’re right and I’m wrong I’ll swallow it, will you?

A. You misunderstand what a sell out is (all tickets sold) versus  attendance (which will never, ever match the tickets sold) and are thinking they are the same thing.

B. Failing to reach an illusory capacity figure that can never be reached is not 'damning evidence'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 194
Grim up north
April 7, 2023, 11:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: +689
Facts are we are currently losing customers due to overpriced poor view seating / people not being able to get a seat together etc. Another point to a new stadium is the quality of the match day experience be it corporate or even just the fact of being able to have a pint and go to the toilet with ease. Those with new stadia have attractions that keep family’s entertained and spending money not just for 90 minutes but make it an experience that lasts hours - all driving extra revenue for the playing budget. Sadly we don’t have a billionaire investor nor a council that’s ever been remotely interested although that’s not a knock at the current owners who are doing a good job so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 194
Mappers
April 7, 2023, 12:28pm
Champagne Drinker
The lads are doing great ,no doubting them from me .

Its good we can even have this debate / conversation

Remember when we were told we were "punching above our weight ' being 7th in the conference .

And that we would 'only ever have a 4k hardcore fanbase '

The lads have helped changed that ,along with us the fans , Paul , the trust , the coaching staff and others .

We need to have higher aspirations continually and not ever go back to being drawn down to the  'little old Grimsby Town ' mentally forever .

We are not and we can rise and fill any additional capacity .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 194
GollyGTFC
April 7, 2023, 1:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Propaganda? Have a word with yourself for fùcks sake, you’re absolutely unhinged. Not sure saying in a Q&A that there isn’t an enormous case for a new ground to be a burning priority, on the basis of 18-months of attendance figures, counts as propaganda.

Propaganda
1. information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.

Saying we’re not regularly selling out home games and quoting the entire ground capacity (including away end and seats lost to segregation) to justify that when every home seat is sold for the majority of games is misleading.

It’s not just AP who has done this and not just at the Fan Forum (which I’ve actually not listened to).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 193 - 194
toontown
April 7, 2023, 5:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Hursty and the team doing their best to resolve the lack of capacity issue lol.

Needs to start playing his strongest side and see if THEY are good enough, not fringe players to see if they are  - that question has now been answered I'm sorry to say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 194
20 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.