Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 102 Guests

No new stadium

This thread currently has 18,116 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2023, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Buy up all the houses along harrington Street that back on to BP, torch the main stand and build a new big stand in the same vein as the Findus, maybe even as big as to go over Harrington Street with a vehicle tunnel underneath. That could add many thousand seats.

I’m sure a modern designer would find a way of developing a stand with a much larger capacity Main Stand without needing to go back very far at all. That said, buying the Harrington Street properties between the two entrances would probably cost market value plus a percentage.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 194
ska face
March 20, 2023, 7:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,926
Gold Stars: 856
Quoted from HerveJosse

3500 residential units at 17 per acre. Equals 200 acres with residential development value at 200000 per acre equals £40m of development value generated. Enough there to seed a new stadium development

Unless I’m mistaken, Mr White Shorts seems to be under the impression a new stadium could, and should, be located within the new Grimsby West development itself. This is despite a master plan already having been put together and the relevant policy requiring: “ open space play and recreation provision, specifically the provision of three equipped play areas, an area of no less than 2ha of allotments, provision of three adult sports
fields including changing and parking facilities
”.

Along with that would be a 500-place secondary school, 1.5ha of land for primary school provision and shops/community facilities provided within 2 separate hubs. I don’t think you’re going to be able to squeeze a 10-15k stadium and associated infrastructure in there too.

That’s not to say that developer contributions couldn’t contribute towards an off-site community stadium, in fact that’s probably our only realistic hope. Be interesting to see what comes out of these discussions around a 10-year strategy for the club. Think there’d be a bit more political will towards something like that if we’re able to embed ourselves more in the community, rather than what we were faced with under Fenty who just wanted to take, take, take from local taxpayers.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 194
crusty ole pie
March 20, 2023, 8:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m sure a modern designer would find a way of developing a stand with a much larger capacity Main Stand without needing to go back very far at all. That said, buying the Harrington Street properties between the two entrances would probably cost market value plus a percentage.

We have missed the boat on buying the properties behind the main stand they should have been purchased yeas ago one at a time when each one became available to buy them all now would cost a fortune the owners would see pound notes and hold the club to ransom
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 20, 2023, 8:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,112
Gold Stars: 191
Quoted from crusty ole pie

We have missed the boat on buying the properties behind the main stand they should have been purchased yeas ago one at a time when each one became available to buy them all now would cost a fortune the owners would see pound notes and hold the club to ransom

Lidl did that on Cromwell Road and Marklew Avenue, one of the owners dug their heels in and got a great deal apparently.

If that was done, a lot of the building work could be done whilst we played our games at BP like what happened with Spurs, but we would have to move away for a season you would have thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 194
DB
March 21, 2023, 6:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.33
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,069
Gold Stars: 391
I like the idea of a new stadium and redeveloping BP. However, the one thing JS & AP have made absolutely clear is that any new stadium and major work at BP is on the back burner.

It is not that they don't want to do this but they don't want to put a massive financial stranglehold on the club by putting it into a massive debt situation. Probably, as posted above, a new stadium would cost £40/50 million and redevelopment of BP say half of that. I have no idea of the exact cost of either but I do know AP said at the forum the new training ground cost had gone up to about £6.5 million.

As posted by others we missed the boat on a new ground with the dithering of the Fenty era when development money was awash for a new ground etc. then. So unless we have a major benefactor then we have what we have. I'm not saying I like it but it is the reality of our current situation.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 194
aldi_01
March 21, 2023, 6:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Do we trot out this conversation when there’s intercourse all else to talk about.

It’s not happening, it’s never been happening. Fenty kept the conversation going, Christ, he even allowed discussion about food outlets and the like without it ever getting past the post it note planning stage.

The current custodians have made it clear they serious and important investment is needed elsewhere before any mass development of BP or indeed a new stadium is built. You’d also imagine that right now, or at least the next couple of years is probably not the best time to build one.

There aren’t large numbers of fans locked out every week, there clearly isn’t too many that are ‘refusing to sit in the main stand’ because every home game, regardless of the small smattering of empty seats, it’s practically full and I’ve already said it, a new stadium isn’t a priority. That’s not to say it’s not a conversation that’s had internally but unlike the previous idiot, these guys don’t talk about stuff until it’s over the line or extremely close.

We talk until we’re blue in the face but it’s not happening and quite frankly, that doesn’t bother me or worry me. There’s a need to focus on other aspects of the club, years of neglect and lack of investment mean we need to get other things up to scratch first. Things that actually impact performance, ambition and aspiration…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 194
GollyGTFC
March 21, 2023, 9:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,982
Gold Stars: 372
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We do need a new ground. There’s no other way we can compete in the long term with the countless clubs who have moved ahead of us in the 30 or so years since the Taylor Report.

I’m talking about teams like Doncaster, Rotherham, Hull, Reading, Cardiff, Swansea, Stoke, Bolton, Wigan, Brighton, Millwall and other clubs who have rebuilt their existing stadiums in that time too. The clubs we once competed with and were well above in the football league.

While we remain at BP we will always be small fish unable to compete. We need a new stadium.

If Sunday wasn’t a wake up call about our need for a new stadium then nothing will.

It just happened to be 20 years to the week since our last visit to Brighton. They were playing at a 7,000 seat capacity athletics stadium. I went there twice. That season and the season before. The facilities were a shambles.

Now I appreciate they had lost the Goldstone Ground, but that was a squalid little dump of a stadium too. Far worse than BP was in the pre-Taylor Report days.

Of course Brighton had their little purple patch in the early 80s with a short spell in the top flight and an FA Cup Final appearance, but in reality they are a club that we outperformed for 100 years.

Brighton entered the Football League in 1920 and from then until the 2002/2003 season when we were last met we were in a higher division than them for 32 seasons and they were in a higher division than us for 16 seasons with 28 seasons at the same level.

But we’ve been left behind and our owners refuse to even acknowledge that BP is a huge part of the problem.

No one is expecting them to bankroll a new stadium from their personal funds, but we need one and when they come to sell the club if we’re still at a dilapidated BP then for all the good memories and football success they have and might achieve going forward they will have failed as owners. *Unless they sell to someone who builds a new stadium immediately.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 194
bedders78
March 21, 2023, 9:39am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +844
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Wouldn't be a big surprise that any that do come on the market are quietly snapped up by a company linked to one of our owners

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 194
grimps
March 21, 2023, 10:01am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,197
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from bedders78

Wouldn't be a big surprise that any that do come on the market are quietly snapped up by a company linked to one of our owners

I’ve been saying that for the last 20 odd years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 194
jamesgtfc
March 21, 2023, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,112
Gold Stars: 191
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No one is expecting them to bankroll a new stadium from their personal funds, but we need one and when they come to sell the club if we’re still at a dilapidated BP then for all the good memories and football success they have and might achieve going forward they will have failed as owners. *Unless they sell to someone who builds a new stadium immediately.

I wouldn't go that far, as they haven't come in promising a stadium. I think we all know that our stadium situation needs to improve, but most of the boats to deliver one have long left the harbour. Failure would be not delivering a new training ground, which I'm incredibly confident they will deliver.

A £50m stadium cannot cripple the club, I think one possibility is that the electric vehicle industry explodes exponentially and myEnergi become an absolutely huge player that can afford to stump up a considerable sum for a new stadium. A lot needs to happen for that, hydrogen is looking like being a competitor to EVs, and Toyota have a hydrogen car on sale, which can be refuelled at 12 locations in the UK currently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 194
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.