Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 139 Guests

No new stadium

This thread currently has 18,112 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 3, 2023, 5:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,102
Gold Stars: 197
When the main stand got redeveloped because of the popplewell enquiry, we actually bought some of the seats and had them in our garden in barnoldby. Not sure what happened to them but I used to love lining up the three sets we had and making it (nothing like) the main stand

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 194
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2023, 6:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,983
Gold Stars: 367
I went past the New York Stadium the other day. Incredible compared to Millmoor and miles ahead of anything we have at BP and could build on the confined footprint that BP is built on.

But we don’t need a new stadium apparently.

I like 1878, but they are either deluded or liars if they say a new stadium isn’t a priority.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 111 - 194
ska face
April 3, 2023, 6:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,916
Gold Stars: 854
In terms of funding, I was amazed at how much Wimbledon raised through their bond scheme. Over £10m I think it was in the end, raised through a form of crowdfunding.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 194
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2023, 11:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,983
Gold Stars: 367
Quoted from ska face
In terms of funding, I was amazed at how much Wimbledon raised through their bond scheme. Over £10m I think it was in the end, raised through a form of crowdfunding.

Yeah and they didn’t even fill Kingsmeadow regularly when you factor in STHs not attending, empty seats in the away end and capacity lost to segregation.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 113 - 194
OddShapedBalls
April 4, 2023, 8:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,214
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from ska face

The problem with bond schemes is that you need to pay them all back eventually, with interest, and then it all goes a bit wasps .....  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 194
April 4, 2023, 12:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I went past the New York Stadium the other day. Incredible compared to Millmoor and miles ahead of anything we have at BP and could build on the confined footprint that BP is built on.

I like 1878, but they are either deluded or liars if they say a new stadium isn’t a priority.

I'll start by saying that no-one is more convinced than I am that we need a new stadium.

So let's say JS and AP - perhaps swayed by the documented wisdom of the Fishy - decide tomorrow that a new stadium
is now the top priority for the football club.

How exactly do people think they might set about this?
Genuine question, which probably equates to "how can we ethically stump up around 40m quid without risking the future of the club?"

Any businessperson with that amount to spare will doubtless want a significant return on it, and be a 'difficult' partner for 1878 since
JS and AP have made it clear that their investment is not based on an expected financial return.

In the circumstances that such funding could be found, I'd think it quite likely that 1878 might simply hand over the reins to the
wealthier partner (they've indicated they may just step aside if appropriate)...and we become owned by a profit-driven enterprise.
This doesn't have to turn out badly, but the football club casualties have exclusively followed this approach.

Vague references to available grants, or expectation of assistance from NELC will be laughed out of court.  

It would be perverse of 1878 to make something that was impossible to achieve their top priority, so how is it possible?

I'd be truly delighted to read a blueprint that could secure us a much-needed new home.
Reply: 115 - 194
Mappers
April 4, 2023, 1:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.40
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,609
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think they recognise in an ideal world we would have one mate ,a more realistic short to medium term objective is the training ground , although expensive ,it is a lot more viable to raise /invest 6m quid rather than 40 or 50 . Even though i think we need one ,at this moment its near impossible .

I would be quite happy with some update on the new training ground with the next few months , a proper community asset thats going to benefit everyone .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 194
jamesgtfc
April 4, 2023, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,112
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Do you have a viable business plan for how a new stadium can be achieved without crippling the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 194
mimma
April 4, 2023, 3:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,611
Gold Stars: 78
We are looking at the here and now, not the future. They talk about growth, improvement etc. If they achieve this then we will need more capacity and extra revenue that dear old Blundell Park can't give us. At what point  do we seriously start looking to move? It will take many years to come to fruition, so if we wait too long we will have to wait for the stadium to be built possibly missing out waiting. I understand that finance is the problem, but waiting too long will only push up the price and make matters worse.
As Lincoln have found out, they can't compete with the big teams in the first division and have come to a full stop. We will have the same problem if we go up and any momentum will be lost.
We really need to be trying to sort it out now if we are serious about growing as a club because B P will hold us back.
And no, I don't know where the money will come from and our council will be sod all help.
Good luck Town trying to sort it out!
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 194
diehardmariner
April 4, 2023, 3:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,819
Gold Stars: 545
We don't have the money to build it and the costs at the minute would make it impossible to repay the outlay, wouldn't it?

Retail units are dead in the water, that boat has sailed.  It won't be a housing development either.  If we ever do move to a new stadium, I can only see it coming as part of some linkage with one of the big offshore energy firms.  They're the only route to a pot of cash needed that I can think of.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 194
20 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › No new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.