Croxton
December 28, 2022, 1:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from sam gy

Yeah, want insinuating that Taylor is the answer, more referring to what we currently have on the books. But he does get McAtee playing, and for that reason alone he plays if he’s fit, right now.

Yes, as things stand at present, certainly. The fact that McAtee is leaving at the end of the season, however, means that we have to think longer term. Taylor is perhaps too niche to build next season around. That's why we are looking for two players in my view.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 126
Vance Warner
December 28, 2022, 1:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,825
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from pen penfras

Funny, isn't it. Subs have always seemed the weakest part of Hurst's decision making. From the Parslow point type subs that he often makes, to the lack of changing things that don't seem to be working until it's too late.

Then the end of last season and start of this, we seemed to get some earlier subs that impacted games and it felt like a hallelujah moment. Now he seems to have reverted back to type.

Yesterday was so poor. McAtee got little all game and Khan looked tired/less effiective. He then waits until we've thrown the lead away to take off Kiernan, who is about as fit as we have and didn't look tired to me. I suppose it was to try and get more quality to win the game, but McAtee and Khan weren't likely to pull a bunny out of the hat when they were spent.

I don’t quite buy in to the subs criticism and think it’s an easy excuse to have a go at the manager. Very few get substitutions right every game and a lot depends on the quality you have available. Hurst was slated for making changes when winning against Hartlepool and slated for not making changes against Harrogate. The real problem is that we brought in 3 strikers in September and none are anywhere near the first team. I completely understand why we let Max go but I was jealous that Harrogate could bring on someone with pace to burn when the game's stretched. Until we have the quality to make a difference it’s harsh to criticise a lack of substitutions IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 126
chaos33
December 28, 2022, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,973
Gold Stars: 361
I think, say what you like about any aspect of tactics, shape etc…..if you are leaving several players on the pitch and not subbing them later on in games when they’re out on their feet (Green certainly was, plus one or two others close to that), you are highly likely to get punished if the opposition brings on fresh players to oppose them. It was absolutely palpable that Harrogate’s changes and our lack of them in the light of the above was pivotal. A player who can’t run, react, turn etc with proper alertness and energy is a liability at that point.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 126
DB
December 28, 2022, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
When the last transfer window opened Hurst did nothing because we were still in with a chance of promotion, so it was late before he could make any decisions. I don't think in all honesty that he and the owners expected promotion at the first attempt, so the long term was at least a 2nd year in the NL, hence JMD & Wearne.
That changed thank goodness.

We are now looking at the EFL and a different situation. I am sure that Hurst & Co know their targets but do the targets want to come to BP. We have had threads and many posts about this, whether it be location, wages or wives!!

I don't expect JMD & Wearne to stay and one or two of the loanees to go back. We will have to wait and see who comes in beit a loan or permanent signing, which is something we can only speculate about.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 126
Swansea_Mariner
December 28, 2022, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
We signed Wearne after we were promoted DB.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 126
Limerick Mariner
December 28, 2022, 7:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,722
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
We signed Wearne after we were promoted DB.

TBF he did well in a Torquay side that shot up the table towards the end of last season. I had high hopes but the step up has proved too much. At 22 he needs to start making his mark. Doesn't look like it will be with us

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 126
13 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › JMD

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.