Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Monarch or Elected President
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 30 Guests

Hereditary monarch or elected president?
Hereditary monarch
Elected president
  View Results 48 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Monarch or Elected President

This thread currently has 4,693 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Humbercod
September 10, 2022, 6:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ginnywings

About time we tried something different then.

The monarchy is an outdated busted flush and needs abolishing, along with the NHS and the House of Lords.

21st century it is not.

Edited for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
FPVmariner
September 10, 2022, 8:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

It may have changed - I doubt it, but it may - but yonks ago I had to do a case study on this issue and it turns out the royal family generate more £ in tourism and other things for the UK economy than it costs us to fund them.  I'd be in favour of cutting away all the dross though, so it's only the Monarch and next in line that's paid for and all the cousins, uncles etc can survive off their own personal fortunes.

I’ve heard the tourism argument so many times.  I don’t have any statistics to counter the claim so I’ll ask a question instead.  If the monarchy was abolished and all properties/(allegedly) public possessions opened to tourism, do you think fewer tourists would come?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
Maringer
September 10, 2022, 9:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,658
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from DB

Yep, dump the House of Lords. It's the place a PM sends their pals to,

The sad thing is that there are a lot of good people in the Lords (including some hereditary peers) who take the job seriously and really contribute at lot to the political process. They would be worthy of a place in an elected upper house. The problem is that they are massively outnumber by the political appointees who are given peerages to the wealthy for spunking money at political parties who then use their places to prop up their chosen party rather than helping to govern for the country. Usually with a bit of lobbying for their own interests as well. Then there are the parasites given peerages as a lucrative 'reward' (the likes of Dorries and do forth) for support. The whole system is a shambles and has to be changed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
FPVmariner
September 10, 2022, 9:24am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer

The sad thing is that there are a lot of good people in the Lords (including some hereditary peers) who take the job seriously and really contribute at lot to the political process. They would be worthy of a place in an elected upper house. The problem is that they are massively outnumber by the political appointees who are given peerages to the wealthy for spunking money at political parties who then use their places to prop up their chosen party rather than helping to govern for the country. Usually with a bit of lobbying for their own interests as well. Then there are the parasites given peerages as a lucrative 'reward' (the likes of Dorries and do forth) for support. The whole system is a shambles and has to be changed.

I can’t find a single flaw in your opinion.  

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 80
AdamHaddock
September 10, 2022, 9:41am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,844
Gold Stars: 26
Elected president, but the Irish version where they are non partisan and just there for the ceremonial shite

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
mariner91
September 10, 2022, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from FPVmariner

I’ve heard the tourism argument so many times.  I don’t have any statistics to counter the claim so I’ll ask a question instead.  If the monarchy was abolished and all properties/(allegedly) public possessions opened to tourism, do you think fewer tourists would come?

Nobody has bothered to visit France since 1792.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 80
OddShapedBalls
September 12, 2022, 9:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from FPVmariner

It's a good point mate, if you were to do the same study again now you might be correct - but, this was early 2000's I did it so my memory isn't going to be 100% on the subject but yes it would devalue the long term amount of money received.  If you dropped them all tomorrow and opened up all the residences as museums, you would get several years of massive profits until the novelty wore off, so a short term success.  After that, you make losses on the properties as museums because the novelty has gone for the local population and without the royals themselves there just isn't the same draw for foreign tourists.  The actual royals are a draw in their own right for people from other countries and that's based off studies in other countries at the time.

The second part of why I think we should keep them (although a lighter version of just the monarch and immediate family)is that they attend 1,000's of functions representing britain where we would otherwise have to send a high ranking politician.  I'd rather have the people who are supposed to be running the place (not talking about the current lot, just in general) freed up to do their elected job whilst the royals plant trees and shake hands for them.

As for the house of lords, I'd happily abolish the thing in favour of some form of representative house to check the commons - what form that would be I don't know but personally I'd support something along the lines of 3 scientists, 3 doctors, 3 agriculture, 3 fisheries people etc who are non-party aligned and can use actual relevant experience to stop the governments crazier ideas and approve ones that will work.  whether that's workable I'll let more intelligent people decide, but I do think one of the issues with current MP's is that the commons has all the power and nobody checks them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
DB
September 12, 2022, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

It's a good point mate, if you were to do the same study again now you might be correct - but, this was early 2000's I did it so my memory isn't going to be 100% on the subject but yes it would devalue the long term amount of money received.  If you dropped them all tomorrow and opened up all the residences as museums, you would get several years of massive profits until the novelty wore off, so a short term success.  After that, you make losses on the properties as museums because the novelty has gone for the local population and without the royals themselves there just isn't the same draw for foreign tourists.  The actual royals are a draw in their own right for people from other countries and that's based off studies in other countries at the time.

The second part of why I think we should keep them (although a lighter version of just the monarch and immediate family)is that they attend 1,000's of functions representing britain where we would otherwise have to send a high ranking politician.  I'd rather have the people who are supposed to be running the place (not talking about the current lot, just in general) freed up to do their elected job whilst the royals plant trees and shake hands for them.

As for the house of lords, I'd happily abolish the thing in favour of some form of representative house to check the commons - what form that would be I don't know but personally I'd support something along the lines of 3 scientists, 3 doctors, 3 agriculture, 3 fisheries people etc who are non-party aligned and can use actual relevant experience to stop the governments crazier ideas and approve ones that will work.  whether that's workable I'll let more intelligent people decide, but I do think one of the issues with current MP's is that the commons has all the power and nobody checks them.

A light-hearted reported story to confirm this was about 2 American Ladies visiting Balmoral. They came upon an elderly English lady with a young man whom they assumed to be her relative.

They asked the elderly lady if she had seen the Queen, no came the reply but this young man has, who then smiled. Ignoring the elderly lady they then asked the young man about the Queen. Saying their goodbyes the Americans wondered if they would ever meet the Queen and left.

The Queen and her bodyguard went in a different direction.

The American tourists were there because of the Queen and not Balmoral castle, which underlines what you have said above.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
codcheeky
September 12, 2022, 11:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,252
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from DB

A light-hearted reported story to confirm this was about 2 American Ladies visiting Balmoral. They came upon an elderly English lady with a young man whom they assumed to be her relative.

They asked the elderly lady if she had seen the Queen, no came the reply but this young man has, who then smiled. Ignoring the elderly lady they then asked the young man about the Queen. Saying their goodbyes the Americans wondered if they would ever meet the Queen and left.

The Queen and her bodyguard went in a different direction.

The American tourists were there because of the Queen and not Balmoral castle, which underlines what you have said above.

I doubt very much two people there to see the Queen would not recognise her, I went to Versailles but surprisingly never bumped into the Sun king, it was packed solid with other tourists free to roam the complete palace and grounds, they must have missed the message that it’s been a couple of hundred years since they had done away with this hereditary nonsense and  there was no monarch.  
People have gone to Buckingham Palace every day this summer and the Queen has been in Scotland, people would still go if there was no monarchy, yes the ceremonies like changing the guards attract crowds but-you do not need a monarch for this.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
OddShapedBalls
September 12, 2022, 12:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from codcheeky

I doubt very much two people there to see the Queen would not recognise her, I went to Versailles but surprisingly never bumped into the Sun king, it was packed solid with other tourists free to roam the complete palace and grounds, they must have missed the message that it’s been a couple of hundred years since they had done away with this hereditary nonsense and  there was no monarch.  
People have gone to Buckingham Palace every day this summer and the Queen has been in Scotland, people would still go if there was no monarchy, yes the ceremonies like changing the guards attract crowds but-you do not need a monarch for this.

Did you visit pre-or post Robespierre?  You've got to really plan historical jaunts carefully.  Interestingly I went to Rome a few years back and a man who must have been about 30 stone, wearing a child's plastic armour and sword, assured me he was a real gladiator and for 10 euros I could have a picture taken with him.  I asked how much for a video of us shouting 'are you not entertained?' together.   Also 10 euros but with his broken English it wasn't the best Russell Crowe impression I've seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Monarch or Elected President

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.