Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Monarch or Elected President
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Jackal and 38 Guests

Hereditary monarch or elected president?
Hereditary monarch
Elected president
  View Results 48 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Monarch or Elected President

This thread currently has 4,703 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
September 9, 2022, 2:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Privatise the monarchy. Massive corporations would throw millions at the chances of naming rights on Buckingham Palace, the Crown jewels etc. You could slap sponsors on their clothes, 'Visit Rwanda' on King Charles sleeve, the Amazon tick across Prince Wiliams chest. The Royal Family start paying for themselves and not the tax payer. Everybody wins 👍.

It may have changed - I doubt it, but it may - but yonks ago I had to do a case study on this issue and it turns out the royal family generate more £ in tourism and other things for the UK economy than it costs us to fund them.  I'd be in favour of cutting away all the dross though, so it's only the Monarch and next in line that's paid for and all the cousins, uncles etc can survive off their own personal fortunes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 80
Limerick Mariner
September 9, 2022, 3:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Privatise the monarchy. Massive corporations would throw millions at the chances of naming rights on Buckingham Palace, the Crown jewels etc. You could slap sponsors on their clothes, 'Visit Rwanda' on King Charles sleeve, the Amazon tick across Prince Wiliams chest. The Royal Family start paying for themselves and not the tax payer. Everybody wins 👍.

Golden arches at Windsor would go well, especially if the Brexiteers permit a rapprochement with the French and allow MaccyD's to use Royale with cheese...

But I'd really like Charles to start throwing weight around on climate change and the environment (it's an existential issue not a political one) - in a kind of Thomas Shelby way. What do you mean I can't be a meddling monarch, I'm the feckin King...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 80
OddShapedBalls
September 9, 2022, 4:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Golden arches at Windsor would go well, especially if the Brexiteers permit a rapprochement with the French and allow MaccyD's to use Royale with cheese...

But I'd really like Charles to start throwing weight around on climate change and the environment (it's an existential issue not a political one) - in a kind of Thomas Shelby way. What do you mean I can't be a meddling monarch, I'm the feckin King...

I'd actually be willing to pay the licence fee to see that series of Peaky Windsors!  Have to say I more see him as a Tony Soprano character, 'in this palace, columbus is hero'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 80
TuckerJenkins
September 9, 2022, 5:56pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +67
Gold Stars: 1
When was the last time we had a decent democratically elected leader? At least a monarch thinks long term.

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 80
Limerick Mariner
September 9, 2022, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from TuckerJenkins
When was the last time we had a decent democratically elected leader? At least a monarch thinks long term.

Actually, the Cameron Clegg coalition was the most democratic since the 1930s - 60% of the vote and the only post-war government with more than 50% of the popular vote. On social liberalism, they did some very good things. On the economy, the Tories well and truly fecked the Liberals and the lower paid, the Liberals paid for it, and we've been paying for it since and especially now with the years of underinvestment in the NHS other public services, transport and by the privatised-monopolies. If the Liberals had gone with Labour, the government would have had 52% of the popular vote.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 80
Maringer
September 9, 2022, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,659
Gold Stars: 189
I suspect that Braverman would be seriously keen on having the Coast Guard sponsored by Visit Rwanda. She's that dim.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 80
ginnywings
September 9, 2022, 10:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from DB
It's not broken and worked well for over 1000 years. Both King Charles and the new Prince of Wales will modernise it and make it fit for the 21c.

About time we tried something different then.

The monarchy is an outdated busted flush and needs abolishing, along with the House of Lords.

21st century it is not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 80
promotion plaice
September 9, 2022, 10:31pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from ginnywings

The monarchy is an outdated busted flush and needs abolishing, along with the House of Lords.

21st century it is not.

House of Lords yes but not the monarchy for me.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 80
ginnywings
September 9, 2022, 10:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from promotion plaice

House of Lords yes but not the monarchy for me.

Fair enough PP. Can't personally see the point of a monarchy in a modern world, but each to their own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 80
DB
September 10, 2022, 3:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,049
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from ginnywings

21st century it is not.

Yep, dump the House of Lords. It's the place a PM sends their pals to,

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Monarch or Elected President

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.