jamesgtfc
April 6, 2022, 2:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from chaos33

I mean, I’m mostly inclined to ignore this childish reactionary, over simplified guff….but, can you give us an example of where ‘the public sector’ (where to start…?) have ‘demanded a huge pay rise’?

The unions were demanding everyone in the NHS got a £2k pay rise last year. I would consider that a huge pay rise for those in the lower bands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
Chrisblor
April 6, 2022, 2:47pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,946
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We were talking about going south to places like Barnet & Eastleigh using the commuter network serving London weren’t we? Well I was based on the remaining fixtures. If you were planning on using TPE to get to Barnet I’d check your ticket.

TPE don’t have any exclusive routes serving and between big cities do they? So striking on a Tuesday would just mean travellers using another operator depending on their journey such as Northern, LNER, Avanti,  Cross Country etc… TPE staff don’t hold any real power to disrupt large numbers of commuters.

Even as far north as Grantham, Newark, Lincoln & Retford there are large numbers of commuters who travel down to London by train and the tactic by unions is always to target weekdays when those commuters are wanting to travel in and out of London. But unlike TPE, LNER have total exclusively on direct trains to and from London from all but one of the places I have mentioned.

If you have an interest in the all areas of the railway including industrial relations you should give Rail magazine a read. It’s very interesting. Their editor (Nigel Harris) tweets regularly and is always interesting. He can be found at @Rail

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
Chrisblor
April 6, 2022, 2:53pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,946
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The unions were demanding everyone in the NHS got a £2k pay rise last year. I would consider that a huge pay rise for those in the lower bands.

Well you'd be wrong about that, since most NHS staff have seen their pay fall in real terms over the last decade when you take inflation into account. A £2k pay rise is the least they should be offered when you look at the wider long-term context:

Just so you know, the bosses who negotiate with unions absolutely love it when employees undermine their own bargaining power by swallowing the 'pay rises are unaffordable' argument.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
jamesgtfc
April 6, 2022, 3:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Chrisblor

Well you'd be wrong about that, since most NHS staff have seen their pay fall in real terms over the last decade when you take inflation into account. A £2k pay rise is the least they should be offered when you look at the wider long-term context:

Just so you know, the bosses who negotiate with unions absolutely love it when employees undermine their own bargaining power by swallowing the 'pay rises are unaffordable' argument.

You're talking like the private sector have inflation beating pay rises, they don't even have pay rises unless the job suddenly falls under NMW and that's my point. We were asked if we were happy with the pay rise on offer and the options we were given were:
Yes.
No and I will be happy to strike.

Should there not have been another option such as "No but I wish to consider alternatives to strike action?"

A significant number of staff only working their 37.5 hours per week and not going above and beyond is another measure that could be taken for example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
ska face
April 6, 2022, 3:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851
You’re the only person making any comparison with the private sector. You will note it is ONLY you doing so because it’s an utterly pointless and irrelevant comparison.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
chaos33
April 6, 2022, 3:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,984
Gold Stars: 361
NHS staff, who the government applauded on doorsteps every Thursday night during COVID were offered f@cking 1%!!! 1% as a ‘pay rise’! Another utter con and disgrace. A huge pay cut in a life and death job as a ‘reward’. The Tories got way with that one too. Inflation was what, in 2020/21? 3% maybe?

Workers/unions don’t demand anything. They ask. It’s a negotiation. Had it actually have even been true that unions demanded a 2k pay rise for staff in the NHS, it would have actually only meant a take home amount of about £20-£30 a week in their salary. What’s that…maybe 80p an hour?!?! And the price of everything has been rising way above that for some time. I do wish people would actually think more before posting utter twaddle.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
louth_in_the_south
April 6, 2022, 3:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
All the bull.excrement political crap spouted by all the usuals above confirms why I went self employed years ago .

Mods please move this to non footy ffs

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
promotion plaice
April 6, 2022, 3:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,087
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
All the bull.excrement political crap spouted by all the usuals above confirms why I went self employed years ago .

Mods please move this to non footy ffs

I was just about to anyway, done.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
arryarryarry
April 6, 2022, 4:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

So because I moderate on this board I’m not allowed an opinion?
And to answer your question I absolutely do think Labour or even my cat could do a better job than these lying, thieving gets. We are seeing the biggest transfer of wealth and subsequent inequality that we’ve seen for decades and it’s only the fault of the party of Government of the last 12 years and those that nod them through back into power.

FFS, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Theresa May, Boris Johnson are all bunch of proven lying girl privates.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
sam gy
April 6, 2022, 4:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Civvy at last

nice  to see the mods continue the non footy theme.
What are peoples opinions on Brexit and how do we feel  COVID and the Ukrainian crisis have affected it.
Do you think Labour would have done better ?  

Well, seen as Jeremy Corbyn has basically been an EU sceptic his whole career, and Boris Johnson decided to be one when he saw an opportunity to use it as a way of getting into power, yes i imagine Labour would have done a better job with Brexit.

Corbyn's stance on Brexit divided a lot of  Labour voters. Conservative does not equal Brexit and Labour does not equal remain.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Travelling fans Warning

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.