Rick12
August 15, 2021, 11:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from LH
It’s on the course of the thread because you’ve steered it that way with your peace and love rubbish. It’s a thread about another monumental failure of foreign policy by western govts and the associated costs in both financial and human terms. Only my mrs calls me Lenny.
Peace and love rubbish ?. With respect LH its scientific fact  that children need love for their  brains to develop. Likewise most people want a moderate degree of peace in their life as well. I know your Mrs is a teacher and Ive known from talking to some teachers how stressful the job can be particularly at secondary level. Indeed to the point and I kid you not some have had heart attacks due to the stress.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 107
DB
August 16, 2021, 6:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 390
History has shown over the last centuries that neither the British nor Russians could rule in Afghanistan. Why the Americans wanted to try I don't know. There was only ever going to be one long-term outcome and that happened this week.

Millions of £/$ spent and nobody had an 'end game' plan. We were sucked in, like other nations, as the Americans pulled the strings. For all the muscle and might of the American armed force's they never learned from Vietnam that you cannot beat the will of the people. Hitler couldn't in WW2 and regardless of minor victories in any wars the will of the people will always win through in the end.

I don't know how Darwin got into this thread as I'm still waiting for the explanation as to how his theory created the world. As for me, GOD created the heavens and earth as it says in the Holy Bible.

LH love and peace are not rubbish. If you show love and peace, that is what you will eventually get back, whereas if you show aggression that is also what you get back. Problems in the world are not caused by love and peace, as described in the Bible by Jesus Christ, but by selfishness and people on ego trips. People who have their own self agenda on life to promote themselves and not caring about the havoc or problems they cause to others.

In my opinion, if you want proof of this it is here on this site, as copied from Cod Almighty, called the Fenty Years.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 107
mariner91
August 16, 2021, 7:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,727
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Rick12
Reminds me of someone who use to be at school with 2 Afghan refugees. Nice lads by all accounts but when they were living in Afghanistan they witnessed directly public amputations by the Taliban for misdeamoners. Having said that and this is something I respect having been to the middle east there is lot more religious fervour out there. I remember being in Israel and hearing the call to prayer before 5 am and being quite moved by it . Likewise in this country some of the nicest people I've met have been Muslim. One girl I remember who was a close friend of mine at collage was from Somalia and Muslim and was keeping her virginity till married in line with Islamic thinking. I know religion has gone on the wane in the United Kingdom but I still would prefer after some thought my own daughter to follow this line of thinking(Catholic dogma  share this view as well) . Some won't agree Iam sure but you can only try to be true to yourself and not be shaped by media and politicians and others who don't have all the answers and can't be trusted fully anyway.

Much better to let a book full of make believe stories shape your actions and life.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 107
codcheeky
August 16, 2021, 9:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,252
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ginnywings
20 years and billions of pounds/dollars, to be dismantled in a matter of weeks.

Many have tried to subdue the Taliban and all have failed. Think it's time the Americans stopped trying to be the world police.

The Taliban will now have even more weaponry to add to the piles they got from the Russians.

And those weapons the Americans gave them to fight the Russians, this has been a complete disaster doomed to fail from the start. The attack on the world trade centre was used as an excuse as it was even more bizarrely along with none existent WMDs for the attack on Iraq, despite the attackers being mostly Saudi. There is and was too much money to be made from the Saudis so a supposedly weaker target bore the brunt of US revenge and we tagged along like the US poodle we have become.
This has destabilised the whole region and has had the opposite effect in radicalising more people . Bombing people and drone strikes killing families was never going to make the relations of those killed or wounded support a foreign power.
This war has lasted more than 4 times the Second World War did and the Americans alone have spent more than they did in the Marshall plan to help rebuild Europe. We have spent a fortune despite making cuts everywhere else.
The Americans (and us) have left our allies like we did the Kurds to fend for themselves, there is no wonder they are not fighting a battle with only one outcome. The fallout from this will be dreadful for many in Afghanistan and we can expect another massive wave of refugees
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 107
MarinerWY
August 16, 2021, 12:34pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,991
Gold Stars: 47
What a complete and utter mess, culpability in so many quarters. The least we could do is enable refugees, especially women and kids (given the Taliban's oppressive policies towards women that our governments used as a political football when they wanted to justify the invasion) and any men who are likely to be targeted for supporting the coalition forces.

Biden needs showing the images of Afghan folk clinging to the plane taking off at Kabul Airport. And of American choppers on top of the embassy. Alongside his and Boris Johnson's assertions that the Taliban had no route to retake the country, and that you would not see American helicopters at the embassy like you did in Saigon. Biden may be better than Trump but on the world stage the US is still meddling in other countries in the worst possible way, creating chaos then flipping off when they lose interest.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 107
Ipswin
August 16, 2021, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from pizzzza
Just been reading about a lad who decided that now would be a good time to take a holiday in Kabul. Mental...

https://archive.is/siPjr

Just read this bit in the article:

'Routledge, who has spent a summer interning at a wealth management firm, said: “I like risk, I’m a banker, so it makes sense.'' '

If the silly fornicator survives I just hope he never has to look after my account

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 107
Sandford1981
August 17, 2021, 8:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Ipswin

'Routledge, who has spent a summer interning at a wealth management firm, said: “I like risk, I’m a banker, so it makes sense.''

Well he is 1 letter away from a more accurate description.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 107
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 17, 2021, 10:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I hope the promise to take Afghans to the U.K. works out. I also hope every effort is made to get as many women and girls out as possible. The hypocrisy of Biden’s constant hectoring about women’s rights and then he  just takes a leap backwards, leaving the poor bu99ers to take what’s coming while he sits in Camp David hoping someone can give him words people will believe.

We can chunter about the U.K. being a party to this episode and blah blah about the politics of that but the ultimate question is what was it all about? It was an American war, part of the war against terrorism that we got sucked into. Obviously once the US pulls out our position would have been impossible. But the ineptitude of the Biden administration in not finding a better way than this humiliation takes some beating. My friends in the US tell me that it is not just the military establishment that finds this abandonment embarrassing and pathetic,

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 107
Ipswin
August 17, 2021, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Sandford1981

Well he is 1 letter away from a more accurate description.

The little excrement appears to have been flown out to safety I say 'appears' as there is apparently some doubt that the daft fornicator was ever there

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 107
Humbercod
August 18, 2021, 8:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,488
Gold Stars: 82
I hope the promise to take Afghans to the U.K. works out. I also hope every effort is made to get as many women and girls out as possible. The hypocrisy of Biden’s constant hectoring about women’s rights and then he  just takes a leap backwards, leaving the poor bu99ers to take what’s coming while he sits in Camp David hoping someone can give him words people will believe.

We can chunter about the U.K. being a party to this episode and blah blah about the politics of that but the ultimate question is what was it all about? It was an American war, part of the war against terrorism that we got sucked into. Obviously once the US pulls out our position would have been impossible. But the ineptitude of the Biden administration in not finding a better way than this humiliation takes some beating. My friends in the US tell me that it is not just the military establishment that finds this abandonment embarrassing and pathetic,

Can we afford to take anymore? I say no…. We have refugees coming from all over.. Hong Kong,Syria, illegal immigrants coming in their thousands weekly! .. we have a shortage of free housing schools, hospitals, GP’s this is more madness, no doubt they be dumped in the poor community’s, it seems these sharp objects running the country are hell bent on killing our culture and way of life, We didn’t ask for this stick them in Wotton Underwood Tony Blair’s local village.

Who is speaking up for our community’s who’s people will have to live with the influx, a foreign culture dumped right in their neighbourhood where those council housing lists will now be getting that bit longer as the refugees must be looked after first.
A true leader would put the country and it’s people first but once again they show the couldn’t care less.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Afghanistan

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.