12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
October 14, 2017, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from moosey_club

i did respond by saying... thats all well and good but where is the fun in going home disappointed if your team doesnt score more than 3 or 4 goals every week  

Perhaps ours would be a similar price if we got £200m or whatever from TV
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 118
Meza
October 14, 2017, 9:21pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Grimbiggs

I do normally try to give a balanced view, weighing up the negatives with the positives, however, the last two home games, and the majority of this seasons home match's, have been very poor fare indeed. Like most forms of entertainment, you turn up expecting to see a performance, and you expect value for money. Those loyal supporters who turn up week after week come rain or shine, have been duped out of their hard-earned money. I will end on a positive note however by saying that we at least got a point today, and are currently in 12th place...UTM

Yeah i guess it can be hard, i'm just one of the people that try to take the positive's more than the negative otherwise, i'd get upset and moan like Victor Meldrew.  Its even harder for me not being able to watch the matches, but i can understand peoples frustrations, after all you pay good money.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 118
chaos33
October 14, 2017, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Well yeah, you're probably right Old Codger. At the end of the day, if dwindling numbers of people are interested, then the message will write itself.

If we want to go on from here - to push for promotion, we will have to do much better than this. To invest. To think more creatively, ambitiously etc...

If we don't, and we are content to exist (and stand still), then folk, with limited time and money, will find something else to do.

It's great that we are football league again. It was a long, miserable time in the conference, but consolidation goes on for how long? A season? A season and a bit? Two seasons? More? Is the plan to tread water? Keep afloat in the FL, and anything above the bottom two is acceptable?

We are all keen to hear and (more importantly) see the club's plans. Their ambitions. What are we striving for? Do we want compete at the top end? What do our on field performances say about us?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 118
Grimbiggs
October 14, 2017, 9:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I think too many people put the emphasis on the BUDGET, at the end of the day it is up to the manager to get the best out of the budget available to him. Our board and management team at the beginning of the season, expected us to be challenging for promotion, and yet we're a mile off. I can't imagine the likes of Newport and Accrington having massive budgets, and yet somehow they've managed to get the best out of their players including Kayden Jackson, whereas we haven't, who's fault is that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 118
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2017, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33
Well yeah, you're probably right. At the end of the day, if dwindling numbers of people are interested, then the message will write itself.

If we want to go on from here - to push for promotion, we will have to do much better than this. To invest. To think more creatively, ambitiously etc...

If we don't, and we are content to exist (and stand still), then folk, with limited time and money, will find something else to do.

It's great that we are football league again. It was a long, miserable time in the conference, but consolidation goes on for how long? A season? A season and a bit? Two season? More? Is the plan to tread water? Keep afloat in the FL, and anything above the bottom two is acceptable?

We are all keen to hear and (more importantly) see the club's plans. Their ambitions. What are we striving for? Do we want compete at the top end? What do our on field performances say about us?

Just an opinion and has been for a long time is that the club is stale/stagnant and it shows on and off the pitch. The same people at the top, the same faces rocking up in the Reserved car park and the same, soulless, knackered stadium. We need fresh ideas, a new impetus and a change. Waiting for the tide of football fortune is not a plan, it's a vain hope that one day your Lottery numbers come up. Much better to try to make things happen, influence things, create an atmosphere of opportunity.

It's superfluous, I know, but just to see the club having to apply for Planning Permission for the siting of two beaten up Portakabins at Cheapside seems to indicate the limits of our ambitions.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 118
ginnywings
October 14, 2017, 9:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
I can take being mid table and winning a game, losing a game over the season, but there is no joy in football anymore. The problem is that if the fare served up is unpalatable, the fans stay away, the budget decreases and you get into a downward spiral again. There is nothing to attract the floating fan.

I know it's not that easy and there are 23 other teams all battling for the same thing, but it's hard work watching footy at BP. To be fair, most of the opposition are just as toothless and it makes for a dull afternoon. Maybe this is just the way it is and as good as it gets in League 2?

Trying to put a positive spin on things, we have tightened up a lot and have only lost one in seven i think. We are comfortable mid table and not too far from the top end, but there has to be more to footy than this.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 118
chaos33
October 14, 2017, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Grimbiggs
I think too many people put the emphasis on the BUDGET, at the end of the day it is up to the manager to get the best out of the budget available to him. Our board and management team at the beginning of the season, expected us to be challenging for promotion, and yet we're a mile off. I can't imagine the likes of Newport and Accrington having massive budgets, and yet somehow they've managed to get the best out of their players including Kayden Jackson, whereas we haven't, who's fault is that?

Yeah good points. I can't imagine that Exeter, Accrington, Newport or Stevenage have bigger budgets than us, but they're all getting more for their money right now. Still, if you're Carlisle, or Cambridge or Colchester, Port Vale or Crewe, doing worse than us, there would also be grounds for complaint. Not really the point.
We are probably in a league position roughly in line with our budget (maybe a bit above in fact), but if the match day experience is dismal/poor value for money/unentertaining/frustrating/angering etc, then folk will stop going and do something else. Pure functional, agricultural, Calvinist survivalism is ok in the short term, but it's unsustainable beyond because devotees and customers will lose interest....

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 118
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 14, 2017, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Well l was by the sounds of it fortunate to miss todays game as took my lot to watch Spurs at wembley, another game with little action. Was following town during the match and read I was missing nothing.

On way home stopped at Peterborough services where I stumbled across Crawley's players taking a break on journey home. Asked them about the game and general response was thank god they had not paid to watch it!!!

Not impressed with town although most of our fans were probably not impressed with either side.

Daughter lives in Cheltenham and she was at Spurs game today and tried to persuade watching town live rather than Real Madrid v Spurs was a better way for her to spend her Tuesday evening, she was not convinced!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 118
headingly_mariner
October 14, 2017, 10:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chaos33

Yeah good points. I can't imagine that Exeter, Accrington, Newport or Stevenage have bigger budgets than us, but they're all getting more for their money right now. Still, if you're Carlisle, or Cambridge or Colchester, Port Vale or Crewe, doing worse than us, there would also be grounds for complaint. Not really the point.
We are probably in a league position roughly in line with our budget (maybe a bit above in fact), but if the match day experience is dismal/poor value for money/unentertaining/frustrating/angering etc, then folk will stop going and do something else. Pure functional, agricultural, Calvinist survivalism is ok in the short term, but it's unsustainable beyond because devotees and customers will lose interest....

We may as well be shite and unambitous, but owned by the fans. its not like anyone's throwing cash at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 118
barralad
October 14, 2017, 10:30pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Cloudy

Perhaps ours would be a similar price if we got £200m or whatever from TV

Absolutely spot on.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.