This thread currently has 6,370 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Ahh Sole
September 29, 2017, 10:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411

I haven't read all the replies but the regime has been the same for the last 15 years. Managers have come and gone, some supporters love certain managers and loathe others. That is football. There is never a period when everyone is happy; playing Championship football was not enough to save Buckley from the sack - there is always somebody unhappy with the way its going.

Iv'e had my moans over the years about the "regime" but regimes come and go, but we don't go to the match to support the regime or otherwise, we go to support the team. This team is average so far, but we have had far far worse than average and had six miserable seasons in non league, so I don't know why you have chosen this year not to go to a derby game.

Get yourself there if you can. Just my opinion.

PS Wilkinson was one of our own and was one of the best forwards of the last 30 years so he must have connection to the club and I am sure he wants the best for it.  

This one has come and left a proper mess.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
KingstonMariner
September 29, 2017, 10:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jonnyboy82
No Pete not at all , just if the club want to talk a good game and give it the big assault on the league and Russ will take us to another level speech from the man himself mr fenty pre season then please at least look like you wanna back it up..

We are all fart no follow through .

That's a good thing. No?!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
Mrs Doyle
September 29, 2017, 10:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Probably yes. One thing I am really grateful to Hurst for.

Well I say that, but only to illustrate life is much more complicated than you think Mariner09. It's good to be back in the League but there's lots I miss about the Conference.

There's no reason why we couldn't have carried most of that over into the League and I think the fans have made a good effort and continue to keep the spirit going. It's just the way the club is run.

All that togetherness and enthusiasm has been ditched by someone who doesn't give a excrement what the other fans think.

That "All togetherness" was borne from the fact that the year before we were robbed by the ref and were lot more deserving of being promoted than Bristol.

That is what inspired Operation promotion and helped focus both fans and players to make darned sure we gave it a good go next season.

Even then it was touch and go against Braintree who could ever forget  Dis tearfully admitting "Everybody wrote us off." Hurst certainly didn't and was more bitter than Craig over his feelings towards the fans.

Hurst was given a lot more time than most managers to get it right on the field.

Slade deserves a decent run the alternative would be another manager and another change of personnel on the field we can't afford that again can we???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
ginnywings
September 29, 2017, 10:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
I'm not a big fan of Slade but he is the manager and i don't think he has had 20 games in charge yet, has he? The season is far from a disaster, though i admit it's a bit dull at present. Tomorrow is a big game, yet all i hear is that Lincoln are going to outplay and outsing us. Forgive me for saying this but they aint exactly setting the league alight either, so i'm going along to watch what i think will be a fairly even game which could go either way. If we lose, it will be hard to take but not the end of the world. Grimsby folk are a hardy bunch, or at least they used to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
KingstonMariner
September 29, 2017, 10:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

That "All togetherness" was borne through to fact that the year before we were robbed by the ref and were lot more deserving of being promoted than Bristol.

That is what inspired Operation promotion and helped focus both fans and players to make darned sure we gave it a good go next season.

Even then it was touch and go against Braintree who could ever forget  Dis tearfully admitting "Everybody wrote us off." Hurst certainly didn't and was more bitter than Craig over his feelings towards the fans.

Hurst was given a lot more time than most managers to get it right on the field.

Slade deserves a decent run the alternative would be another manager and another change of personnel on the field we can't afford that again can we???

Oh I agree on Slade.  It'd be daft changing manager at this point. My finger wasn't pointing at Slade.

And tomorrow's result, whatever it is, isn't all that important in the long run. As I said the other day, they're not exactly tearing up any trees, and if we win we'll only be just above them. Still be sweet though  

Disagree about the togetherness though. Op.Promo was the apotheosis not the start. It'd been building for a good long while before the Bristol final. I think Fenty spunked away all that goodwill with the FL Trophy decision and subsequent behaviour.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
Swansea_Mariner
September 29, 2017, 10:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Lincoln may not be setting the league alight but their management team are on their way up, while ours, well....I reckon we're Russ's last management job in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
promotion plaice
September 29, 2017, 10:49pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

All this doom and gloom..........we could be above the mighty Lincoln tomorrow, who will be winning the Champions League soon if they can hang on to Cowley.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Maringer
September 29, 2017, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
78% (approx) of the League games left to play this season. Seems a little bit melodramatic to claim it's disastrous just yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
barralad
September 29, 2017, 11:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Oh I agree on Slade.  It'd be daft changing manager at this point. My finger wasn't pointing at Slade.

And tomorrow's result, whatever it is, isn't all that important in the long run. As I said the other day, they're not exactly tearing up any trees, and if we win we'll only be just above them. Still be sweet though  

Disagree about the togetherness though. Op.Promo was the apotheosis not the start. It'd been building for a good long while before the Bristol final. I think Fenty spunked away all that goodwill with the FL Trophy decision and subsequent behaviour.

This was one of my favourite subjects for discussion-namely what motivated the Operation Promotion thing. I'll readily admit to having to look up the word "apotheosis" but I don't recall there being a particular togetherness through the 2014/15 season. True it was our first season of actually getting to the final and the way we went about Eastleigh in the semis made it feel like we were a stones throw from the Promised Land BUT something changed during that 120 minutes v Brizzle. Whether it was the vivid feeling of being robbed, of total injustice or the way the fans stuck together at Wembley and made a bloody good job of being the underdogs against Rovers twice as many fans is open to conjecture. I'm sure if you look through the Classic Threads section for any posts that were made immediately following the final or into the next day you will struggle to find a Fishyite writing anything along the lines of it being Town's fault or, we didn't deserve to win etc. etc.
The first e-mail about the embryonic Operation Promotion from Bax landed in my inbox before I got out of bed on the Monday after the final. The driving force for it came from the reaction of fans on Social Media especially the Fishy in a "We must harness this and use it as a positive" kind of way. The Fishy might be very difficult to guage in normal times but the fact the support for the team, manager and club as a whole was so unequivocable meant we knew Operation Promotion could run (although we had no idea it would do a passable impression of Usain Bolt)

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2017, 11:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Tommy
I see several people mention the conference from time to time this season and how we had this connection with the team in our time there.

I can't help but wander if some of our time there is clouded by the fact that we were, for want of a better phrase, a big fish in a small pond and would win most of our games there.

Maybe it's a bit harder to support us now we're not the big club and winning most weeks. If folk aren't going to stick with us and stick with the team because they're afraid we might lose, then I don't know what you'd expect from supporting a team other than Chelsea/MU/ManCity etc.

All Town Aren't We.
Through thick and thin.

Bang on Sir!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First time in 30 years

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.