7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
samg
September 29, 2017, 10:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Sorry Pete I never thought we'd run away with the league  - after the past 5 years I'm quite happy with mid table consolidation- my point is apart from 1 or 2 players there is no commitment or passion towards gtfc which us loyal fans have witnessed over the years - even in the conference the team showed more commitment to the fans and club - make of that as you please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
grimsby pete
September 29, 2017, 10:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To give up on GTFC after such a short spell into the season is pretty sad but the choice is yours.

People need to remember like it or not this is a new squad still in it's infancy.

The bignot period was very radical perhaps to radical Fenty went for experience with Slade and Wilco.

To be honest I was relieved as I thought the players seemed as confused as us as to what the lop sided system was trying to achieve.

Slade as not got it going yet but I can see what he is trying to do tomorrow should show us how we have evolved hopefully he will put a strong attacking front line ie Matt and Jones with Dembele and or D.J. on the flanks.

To many people are ready to write us off as usual.

Agree Mrs D

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
KingstonMariner
September 29, 2017, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mariner_09
So people are actually arguing the Conference was better? It's beggar belief, it really is. Frankly we showed more fight on Tuesday than we had done previously for months because we came back into the game on two occasions. I have absolutely no idea how you can say the Conference was better, trust me I didn't see anybody going "oh excrement, we've got promoted". So I ask the question. Would you rather go back to the Conference and win more games and have an allegedly strong bond with the players and manager or stay in the league under the current regime? I personally can't recall any such bond between the Fishy and Hurst.

Probably yes. One thing I am really grateful to Hurst for.

Well I say that, but only to illustrate life is much more complicated than you think Mariner09. It's good to be back in the League but there's lots I miss about the Conference. There's no reason why we couldn't have carried most of that over into the League and I think the fans have made a good effort and continue to keep the spirit going. It's just the way the club is run.

All that togetherness and enthusiasm has been ditched by someone who doesn't give a excrement what the other fans think.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
TheRealJohnLewis
September 29, 2017, 10:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Mariner_09
So people are actually arguing the Conference was better? It's beggar belief, it really is. Frankly we showed more fight on Tuesday than we had done previously for months because we came back into the game on two occasions. I have absolutely no idea how you can say the Conference was better, trust me I didn't see anybody going "oh excrement, we've got promoted". So I ask the question. Would you rather go back to the Conference and win more games and have an allegedly strong bond with the players and manager or stay in the league under the current regime? I personally can't recall any such bond between the Fishy and Hurst.

As i'm the only one to have mentioned the conference I'll presume that you are talking about my post.  I suggest you read it again.  I did not say the conference was better or that I wanted to go back.  I did not say there was a connection with Hurst.

My original point was clear, so i'll not reiterate.

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
grimsby pete
September 29, 2017, 10:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from samg
Sorry Pete I never thought we'd run away with the league  - after the past 5 years I'm quite happy with mid table consolidation- my point is apart from 1 or 2 players there is no commitment or passion towards gtfc which us loyal fans have witnessed over the years - even in the conference the team showed more commitment to the fans and club - make of that as you please

Lets hope you say something different after we beat Lincoln.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2017, 10:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Civvy at last

Nor me  !!!!!!!!!!!

Drama queen

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
jonnyboy82
September 29, 2017, 10:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
No Pete not at all , just if the club want to talk a good game and give it the big assault on the league and Russ will take us to another level speech from the man himself mr fenty pre season then please at least look like you wanna back it up..

We are all fart no follow through .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
immariner
September 29, 2017, 10:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Loud and proud tomorrow boys and girls. Could be the kick start our season could do with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
lew chaterleys lover
September 29, 2017, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from samg
This will be the first time in 30 years I've refused to go to a local derby match. I've made this decision with a sad and heavy heart but unfortunately the current team and management style of football does not warrant me the travel costs and entrance fee, I just cannot see most of the current squad enticing me back (believe me as an ardent supporter that follows Town home and away)
There's no passion,commitment,flair,pride - to me personally ( I may be wrong) I feel like the current squad or management style have no connection with the fans of gtfc! I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong tomorrow and regret not going ( i will be listening on radio) and will be victorious - but currently I don't see it.
Prove me wrong and let's see a vast improvement UTM!!!

I haven't read all the replies but the regime has been the same for the last 15 years. Managers have come and gone, some supporters love certain managers and loathe others. That is football. There is never a period when everyone is happy; playing Championship football was not enough to save Buckley from the sack - there is always somebody unhappy with the way its going.

Iv'e had my moans over the years about the "regime" but regimes come and go, but we don't go to the match to support the regime or otherwise, we go to support the team. This team is average so far, but we have had far far worse than average and had six miserable seasons in non league, so I don't know why you have chosen this year not to go to a derby game.

Get yourself there if you can. Just my opinion.

PS Wilkinson was one of our own and was one of the best forwards of the last 30 years so he must have connection to the club and I am sure he wants the best for it.  
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
Tommy
September 29, 2017, 10:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I see several people mention the conference from time to time this season and how we had this connection with the team in our time there.

I can't help but wander if some of our time there is clouded by the fact that we were, for want of a better phrase, a big fish in a small pond and would win most of our games there.

Maybe it's a bit harder to support us now we're not the big club and winning most weeks. If folk aren't going to stick with us and stick with the team because they're afraid we might lose, then I don't know what you'd expect from supporting a team other than Chelsea/MU/ManCity etc.

All Town Aren't We.
Through thick and thin.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First time in 30 years

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.