September 29, 2017, 5:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from totalidiot
More lies and deceit,nothing new there with slade and fenty

I'd watch what I said if I were you--you might get sent on  loan to Hartlepools with a clause that you never came back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 139
sam gy
September 29, 2017, 6:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Seems like only a few weeks ago the club was getting criticised for having too many CMs, now it's getting critiscised for getting rid of one.

Everyone is wanting to see Clifton get a chance....well that's one more player out of his way.

At the end of the day the manager doesn't fancy him and he'll live and die by his decisions. This happens all the time in football. I thought he was a good player in many aspects, but lacking in others. Would've liked him in the squad but it's not the end of the world and to be fair, was probably always on the cards this season. We move on.

As many pointed out when he signed, he wasn't fancied anymore at a Mansfield team with dreams of promotion, so why is he all of a sudden our star player?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 139
headingly_mariner
September 29, 2017, 6:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Tommy
I can't be bothered to personally but if you looked back through some "just back" threads from last season I don't think you'd find that many complimentary posts about Clements. Not that he was slated on here but many weren't convinced.

I thought he did ok and improved us but I seem to remember most saying he didn't really do a lot and wasn't better than what we already had. Now he's not in the team and being let go you'd think he was the League Two Steven Gerrard judging by the reaction on here.

If he'd wanted to be here I would have had him in and around the team but we can still do better than him if we're wanting to build a promotion team.

I'm happy having players at the Club who want to play for GTFC.

I always thought he had the ability but not the heart. He was a 1 good performance in 5 sort of player. He particularly struggled in a central 2. I actually think Berrett is a better player and this season has been really consistent. I imagine he's on a fair whack and lives a distance away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 139
lew chaterleys lover
September 29, 2017, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from sam gy
Seems like only a few weeks ago the club was getting criticised for having too many CMs, now it's getting critiscised for getting rid of one.

Everyone is wanting to see Clifton get a chance....well that's one more player out of his way.

At the end of the day the manager doesn't fancy him and he'll live and die by his decisions. This happens all the time in football. I thought he was a good player in many aspects, but lacking in others. Would've liked him in the squad but it's not the end of the world and to be fair, was probably always on the cards this season. We move on.

As many pointed out when he signed, he wasn't fancied anymore at a Mansfield team with dreams of promotion, so why is he all of a sudden our star player?

A very fair assessment.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 139
Garth
September 29, 2017, 7:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Ahh Sole

I thought Slade had told the press he wasn't fit?

He`s not -----for league two anyway probably be back after some match time at Barrow, relax!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 139
Maringer
September 29, 2017, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,562
Gold Stars: 185
My view is that Clements was our best central midfielder last season, though that's not perhaps saying a huge amount. He'd have been first name on the sheet for me this year. Obviously, Slade differs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 139
MarinerBen
September 29, 2017, 7:28pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
I’d like to have seen Clements play alongside Rose in midfield. The pairing sounds like a good combination of attack and defence for the engine.

Never mind eh...we’ll never know.

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 76 - 139
ginnywings
September 29, 2017, 7:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Don't know if i'm bothered or not to be honest. He is decent but no world beater, and Slade, like all managers, rise or fall on their decisions. If we start to win games more regularly, he will soon be forgotten. If not, then the decision will carry on being used as a stick to beat the manager with. I think Rose has shown the potential to be at least as good, if not better than Clements and Berrett is looking like a mainstay with Summerfield waiting in the wings. Time will tell if it's the right move for both parties.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 139
chaos33
September 29, 2017, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Bit of a shrug from me. He's average, or limited if you prefer, a bit like every other central midfielder we've got. Fans don't see players in training or know personal situations so they'll have to trust the manager. I guess, if you like Clements and don't like Slade you're going to be cheesed off, but can't say I think we've lost an asset.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 139
GrimRob
September 29, 2017, 7:56pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
I could understand a month on loan but three is a long stint! That's straight into the transfer window and an escape route for him. The conveyor belt of players at this club is relentless. I kind of feel that we'll never have a decent spell until we get a settled squad again, with a nucleus of settled players. Looking at Lincoln's line-up that's what they seem to have.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 79 - 139
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clements to Barrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.