jonnyboy82
September 29, 2017, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Ahh Sole

Well Jonny - ring John and make sure you've got your CV ready for when RS gets the sack because your knowledge of players and their abilities will undoubtedly get us winning the Champions League in 4/5 years max. Chris Clements was no better last season than James Berrett has been this season - we were inconsistent then, we are inconsistent now.

Chris Clements is a better player than James berrett.

And I don't want anything to do with Mr fenty ..many thanks anyway.

GTFC
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 139
Abdul19
September 29, 2017, 10:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

If he is still not fit in Jan his contract will be terminated.

]

Paying off players with 18 months left on their contract would be going some, even by JF's standards

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 139
ginnywings
September 29, 2017, 10:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33
In think it's worth mentioning to those who are ludicrously claiming it's the worst ever and that they want Slade out, that there is a sense of perspective to be considered. A look at the league table after 10 games will see clubs of similar size or history making a worse job of it than we are. Clubs recently in league 1 even, whilst we wallowed in the conference - something a lot of folk on here seem to have forgotten in their declaration that the club is 'rotten to the core'. Go tell it to Chesterfield, or Port Vale fans, who enjoyed L1 football last year and are now on their a*se at the foot of the league table, and turning over loads of average players. Or Colchester perhaps, or Crewe - also in L1 a short time ago. Similar sized clubs all, and all below us. And Carlisle. Oh dear. And Yeovil. Not going great for them is it. I know it's a pretty shabby looking team and style of play at present, but Luton have only got 5 more points than us and they've been back in league 2 for 4 years, spent some wedge and get 8k crowds.

Totally agree.

I don't know what people were expecting when we got our league status back. Did people expect us to suddenly play like Barcelona? It wasn't so long ago that there were several posts along the lines of the top half of the Conference being capable of cutting it in League 2 but i think that has proved to be wrong myself as this division is a much better standard. The football isn't exactly scintillating but i've not seen much from the opposition yet either to suggest we are way behind the others and that we are sh1te and doomed for relegation. I'd have to see much more of this term out before i make that call.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 139
Tommy
September 29, 2017, 10:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Chris Clements is a better player than James berrett.

And I don't want anything to do with Mr fenty ..many thanks anyway.

Even if he is (which is matter of opinion of course), they're both League Two footballers. Hardly world beaters. Hardly much difference between them as they both appear to be mid-table L2 players rather than either being top end quality. So the reaction on here is a bit OTT imo, especially when all the facts from both sides aren't necessarily known.

And just purely to play devils advocate to the Clements>Berrett view, one has played loads of games in League One and one is now playing in the conference.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 139
HertsGTFC
September 29, 2017, 10:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
He’s a decent player but hardly Waters, Cunnington, Groves or Dis. This time last year many Town fans had never heard of him so maybe this wave of anti Fenty & Slade emotion has led us to get a bit out of perspective, just saying!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 139
Maringer
September 29, 2017, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I'm still surprised that Berrett has played so many games in the third tier. He's been a good deal better this season than last, but I struggle to see how he could have been particularly effective in the division above.

More pertinent for the Clements/Berrett comparison is that Clements has scored twice as many goals in around half as many appearances for us as Berrett. I suppose it's the same strike rate as Rose who is the only one of our central midfielders to score this season (albeit one was a penalty) but, of course, Summerfield has only got the one goal for us.

As Disley showed us, it's very useful if you have a central midfielder who can chip in with a useful number of goals. With Clements gone, we don't have one.

Unless Clifton gets into the team and steps up, I think we're going to have a particularly pedestrian central mid area until January at the very least.

I've been less impressed with Rose than many apparently have. Can't help but think he looks too clumsy on the ball much of the time and his stamina seems to be lacking at the moment.

Oh well, I just hope we can put a good performance in tomorrow to get the result we require.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 139
Swansea_Mariner
September 29, 2017, 11:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
The fact Berrett played for not just one but two clubs relegated out of league 1 suggests he wasn't really up to playing at that level.

I can't even think of another player who mananged to be part of three different teams, all of which got relegated in consecutive seasons, what's up with that, I mean it can't just be bad luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 139
sam gy
September 29, 2017, 11:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from chaos33
In think it's worth mentioning to those who are ludicrously claiming it's the worst ever and that they want Slade out, that there is a sense of perspective to be considered. A look at the league table after 10 games will see clubs of similar size or history making a worse job of it than we are. Clubs recently in league 1 even, whilst we wallowed in the conference - something a lot of folk on here seem to have forgotten in their declaration that the club is 'rotten to the core'. Go tell it to Chesterfield, or Port Vale fans, who enjoyed L1 football last year and are now on their a*se at the foot of the league table, and turning over loads of average players. Or Colchester perhaps, or Crewe - also in L1 a short time ago. Similar sized clubs all, and all below us. And Carlisle. Oh dear. And Yeovil. Not going great for them is it. I know it's a pretty shabby looking team and style of play at present, but Luton have only got 5 more points than us and they've been back in league 2 for 4 years, spent some wedge and get 8k crowds.

This all day long. The state of this forum/social media has been absolutely laughable this season. Best supporters in the land my bottom.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 139
Bigdog
September 29, 2017, 11:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from chaos33

When I read your post Chaos I thought it was a reasonable enough assessment but then I had a think about it for a while and found myself thinking this..

The same "reasonable" argument could be put forward at the same time next season and the season after and the one after that. Pick an ever changing short list of similar sized clubs that are a few points worse off and state it could be worse and be thankful we're not them. Go a few seasons back we could be Lincoln, we could be Stockport, we could be Darlington.

It's been a bit of a pointless list of examples really which could be easily countered with a long list of similar sized clubs that are doing much better than us. That list carries as much credence and in fact is a more positive and aspirational one.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter who's doing better than us or who's doing worse, If the product on the pitch is terrible, if our fans are as bored and frustrated as it seems and if they are leaving in their droves because they can't see a brighter outlook in the near or distant future, there isn't a single crumb of comfort that can be taken from the fact that one or two clubs are having a worse time than us. It's what's happening here that counts and it really stinks of stagnation at best.

We've been shite and boring for so long I don't care if we're better off than Port Vale or not. I just want to get excited about our club again because it's now been too much of a chunk of my life when GTFC (the club) has lost its mojo, and if there isn't wholesale changes, there's a good chance for the rest of my lifetime it will never come back and it's a pretty sobering thought..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 139
friskneymariner
September 30, 2017, 12:10am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The thing is that we have endured bad patches before ,but at present this feels different and the rot feels institutionalized and permeates every aspect of the club.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 139
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clements to Barrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.