14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
September 30, 2017, 12:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
A half arsed player no one had heard of a year ago who gets bombed out because the manager doesn't think he fits into his plans means the club is rotten and permeates every aspect of gtfc . Jesus get a fooking grip u nutters

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 139
forza ivano
September 30, 2017, 12:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,139
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from chaos33
In think it's worth mentioning to those who are ludicrously claiming it's the worst ever and that they want Slade out, that there is a sense of perspective to be considered. A look at the league table after 10 games will see clubs of similar size or history making a worse job of it than we are. Clubs recently in league 1 even, whilst we wallowed in the conference - something a lot of folk on here seem to have forgotten in their declaration that the club is 'rotten to the core'. Go tell it to Chesterfield, or Port Vale fans, who enjoyed L1 football last year and are now on their a*se at the foot of the league table, and turning over loads of average players. Or Colchester perhaps, or Crewe - also in L1 a short time ago. Similar sized clubs all, and all below us. And Carlisle. Oh dear. And Yeovil. Not going great for them is it. I know it's a pretty shabby looking team and style of play at present, but Luton have only got 5 more points than us and they've been back in league 2 for 4 years, spent some wedge and get 8k crowds.

Some good points chaos. I courted my wife with away trips involving hope n hey wood as centre halves.that was a far worse team than this. Some of those teams in the initial non league years were pretty abysmal as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 139
louth_in_the_south
September 30, 2017, 12:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
You really know how to impress a bird don't you ?! You must have a massive c.ock if she married you after that courtship

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 139
forza ivano
September 30, 2017, 12:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,139
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
You really know how to impress a bird don't you ?! You must have a massive c.ock if she married you after that courtship

I don't want to boast but............
Must've had summat about me coz she's done Lincoln on Boxing Day with the morons,,chase town, Tamworth, rushden, Kettering, Salisbury alfreton, forest green n bath city. And she's a yorkie
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 139
grimsby pete
September 30, 2017, 12:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
All this fukking moaning you would think we are bottom of the league not mid table,

CHRIST !!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 139
hheh2
September 30, 2017, 3:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Really did think Clements would have a big role to play this season, he was quality last season.

Should be starting for us tbh

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 139
chaos33
September 30, 2017, 6:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Bigdog

When I read your post Chaos I thought it was a reasonable enough assessment but then I had a think about it for a while and found myself thinking this..

The same "reasonable" argument could be put forward at the same time next season and the season after and the one after that. Pick an ever changing short list of similar sized clubs that are a few points worse off and state it could be worse and be thankful we're not them. Go a few seasons back we could be Lincoln, we could be Stockport, we could be Darlington.

It's been a bit of a pointless list of examples really which could be easily countered with a long list of similar sized clubs that are doing much better than us. That list carries as much credence and in fact is a more positive and aspirational one.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter who's doing better than us or who's doing worse, If the product on the pitch is terrible, if our fans are as bored and frustrated as it seems and if they are leaving in their droves because they can't see a brighter outlook in the near or distant future, there isn't a single crumb of comfort that can be taken from the fact that one or two clubs are having a worse time than us. It's what's happening here that counts and it really stinks of stagnation at best.

We've been shite and boring for so long I don't care if we're better off than Port Vale or not. I just want to get excited about our club again because it's now been too much of a chunk of my life when GTFC (the club) has lost its mojo, and if there isn't wholesale changes, there's a good chance for the rest of my lifetime it will never come back and it's a pretty sobering thought..

Yes, but all you're doing is exchanging the real context for one that fits in with your current perspective. We are not talking about 'the same time next season, or the one after that, or the one after that'. Right now, two seasons on from the Wembley glory (remember that), we are ensconsed in mid table of L2 in the football league, and trying to get the best out of our average looking squad. Yes there is much room for improvement in many aspects, but the amount of overstatement I'm reading on here is just preposterous.

There'll always be similar sized clubs doing better, and similar sized clubs doing worse - that's agreed, but some Town fans seem to have this huge sense of entitlement. They are trapped in this vacuum where they forget that up and down this league, the fans are complaining about the same things as us.

I agree that we should be aspiring to better. Absolutely. We should be setting higher standards - of course. It takes time and money. There are doubtless clubs in L2 who have bigger budgets than us and who are currently below us, and teams who have spent less who are above. A bit of perspective, especially from those who have supported us for a long time wouldn't go amiss. I've read some absolute tosh on here recently, largely from people who seem to have very short memories. I agree that the performances, and the tactics etc are far from convincing and attractive, but we've played ten games. As for fans 'leaving in their droves' - well I'm not so sure about that. We are playing our local rivals in football league 2 today in front of a near full house. 3 or 4 years ago we might have been struggling at home to Bromley or Barrow in front of 3000. That's when I saw 'stagnation', and the 'product on the pitch was terrible'.

Clearly we need some better players and greater investment. It's ok to aspire to that, but some seem to think the way to play their part in that is to attack the major shareholder, decide they won't go again and invite others to do the same.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 139
Posh Harry
September 30, 2017, 6:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Abdul19

Paying off players with 18 months left on their contract would be going some, even by JF's standards

Could be wrong Abdul but I thought Clements was on 18 months when he joined so would have 6 months left? Either way can't see him being paid off. Looks like he will go to Barrow in Jan assuming he does ok.

I haven't seen him as much as some on here but from what I did see he was decent without being brilliant. Likes putting his foot on the ball and looking for a pass but a bit lightweight and prone to try a cruyff turn at the wrong time and the wrong place.

What concerns me more is the fact that we don't really know yet what slade thinks about osbourne. He wasn't a mainstay at the back of last season and before he got injured someone had said they heard that slade didn't fancy him that much.

That for me would be a much bigger concern than Clements going to Barrow.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 139
lukeo
September 30, 2017, 7:39am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I think people aren't so worried about the points we've gained this season, any honest fan will say it's about right for a club our size with our squad. It's more the way we are playing (or not playing should I say) as stupid as it sounds I bet people would rather us have a couple of less points but be playing some decent football and giving teams a real good go instead of this half arsed hoof football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 139
toontown
September 30, 2017, 8:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Posh Harry hit the nail on the head for me with his assessment of Clements. For me a player I would prefer to have in our squad, but hardly a world beater, just a different option to the players we hav at the moment with some different strengths but different flaws as well.
And also I share his concerns re: Jamie osbourne.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 139
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clements to Barrow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.