Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back and a bit more..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 217 Guests

Just back and a bit more..

This thread currently has 11,640 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Ahh Sole
September 27, 2017, 9:11am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
The thing that I've noticed is that our front players seem incapable of moving to find space. That tells me they are either not being well coached or have been told to expect the ball in the air. It seems to change when DJ comes on as he tries to make things happen but watching Hooper and Vernon as a front 2 is so frustrating!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 79
sam gy
September 27, 2017, 9:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
During our conference years, think if anyone was offered a drab 2-2 draw at home to Colchester on a Tuesday night to leave us mid table in lg2, we'd have taken it. There were certainly many posts on here stating things along those lines during those years.

Sounded like a dire game, which im not excusing but then....I can't really remember many games from the past 5 or so years that were actually entertaining in a football sense. We were just more clinical in the conference.

As for Slades comments...he just seems to be focusing on the positives rather than the negatives and it did sound like we had a fair amount of chances. Can't blame him for doing this when we've got a big derby game coming up and he wants to instil confidence in his players.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 79
Mendonca1995
September 27, 2017, 9:19am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Garth

YOU NEED GLASSES, HE WAS THE BEST MIDFIELDER BY FAR, give credit where its due

Giving away need less free kicks playing the ball out of play and not being able to play a 5 yard ball suggests otherwise,if we are having to rely on him from midfield then we have problems simple as that really

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 79
Mendonca1995
September 27, 2017, 9:21am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Hagrid
I think his distribution is woeful sorry Maringer. Everybpass is to an opponant or out of play

100% agree

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 79
Mariners_15
September 27, 2017, 9:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Flat, flat and flat. Best word to describe the whole club and the air around it I feel..

I would vent more but I really can't be bothered at the minute, it all feels like a chore.

I'll be there Saturday but I fear the worst.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 79
golfer
September 27, 2017, 9:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from moosey_club
will try and offer my more considered thoughts, however, my post last night still stands for an overall summary....

Summerfield - passed the ball forwards with intent at times, actually giving the strikers and Dembele the ball to feet..
Clarke and Collins - steady but no particular test for them from the opposition
Davies - too many free kicks given away when he simply just barges into the back of players who are presenting no goal threat
Dixon & Woolford - zero influence on our ball retention or attacking play...its like having Robertson & Monkhouse...two aging players who cant outrun players and dont have the legs to even try....Woolford needs an overlapping full back to feed, Dixon needs a speedy tricky winger in front of him. With those two in the starting line we instantly lose a whole attacking option and have to rely on the opposite wing.
Dembele - bright moments ending in little end product, trying too hard probably but when the attacking width sits squarely on your shoulders then perhaps thats why
Hooper - made his goal out of nothing but not alot else, probably due to service and his partner for the night
Vernon - not alot of service to suit his capability, tried but just not capable of creating goals in that sort of style
McKeown - howler for the first, down his throat and straight through him but not alot of other.
Berrett - didnt really notice either way

Tactics - it is either a direct instruction from Slade to hit it long and then hopefully pick up the pieces....or the back four have so little option from the midfield they have to either go backwards and let Mckeown hit it or long or they just do it themselves.

Post Edit - oh and FFS can we please sort out the fking throw ins !!! We dont have a long throw in the locker so why do we persist with pretending we do ?? Every single attempt last night fell about 5 yds short of our players....either the player has to start closer to the thrower or we just scrap it...it didnt work 1000 times last season and it isnt going to work this season either if we carry on as is.

Either way up its uninspiring and 2000 less on the home gate since the opening home game speaks volumes considering  the defined target from the board/manager/club is play off / promotion.

The Fans arent buying it John.

A very good and in my opinion accurate summary. Have you thought of taking up sports writing ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 79
grimps
September 27, 2017, 10:19am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from sam gy
During our conference years, think if anyone was offered a drab 2-2 draw at home to Colchester on a Tuesday night to leave us mid table in lg2, we'd have taken it. There were certainly many posts on here stating things along those lines during those years.

Sounded like a dire game, which im not excusing but then....I can't really remember many games from the past 5 or so years that were actually entertaining in a football sense. We were just more clinical in the conference.

As for Slades comments...he just seems to be focusing on the positives rather than the negatives and it did sound like we had a fair amount of chances. Can't blame him for doing this when we've got a big derby game coming up and he wants to instil confidence in his players.

During our championship years I think if anyone was offered a drab 2-2 at home to Colchester on a Tuesday night to leave us mid table inLg 2 I bet nobody would have taken it  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 79
Heisenberg
September 27, 2017, 10:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from grimps

During our champoinship years I think if anyone was offered a darb 2-2 at home to Colchester on a Tuesday night to leave us mid table inLg 2 I bet nobody would have taken it  

When we were in The Championship, we had poor attendances and we used to moan constantly, despite being way out of our depth and miraculously avoiding relegation every season (OK, except 2 out of many).

When we were in League 1 for that single season, we complained bitterly every week, justifiably.

When we were in League 2, we thought we have a God-given right to go up every year, and we complained bitterly.

When we were in The Conference we (again, rightly so) complained every single week for 6 years.

Now we're in League 2, the one thing we pined for for 6 whole years, and most people are whingeing again.

I tell you now, I'd take what we have right now over even 1 more season in The Conference, every day of the f#cking week.  I know it's not great right now, but it's been much, much worse.  I agree that we need to do better, and maybe Slade isn't going to take us forward, but this season ain't over yet, the team have a job to do, and we still have two very good players (Assante, and particularly Osborne) to come back yet.  We have to keep some sort of faith, as nothing is gonna change until January at least.

IT COULD, AND OFTEN HAS BEEN, MUCH MUCH WORSE.  I know we all want better, but rather this than 6 years of torture again.  I still pinch myself that we got out of there at all, I thought we'd rot there forever.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 79
friskneymariner
September 27, 2017, 10:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Think all the fumes from the precursors have effect you Walt.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 79
lew chaterleys lover
September 27, 2017, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
I have defended Berret and Summerfield in the past, but I thought last night that Berrett in particular looked very weak.

We simply have not got the quality needed in the centre of the park - Rose is not really an improvement on either but if we haven't got the quality in there then we must have more bodies in the middle otherwise we will keep getting overrun. The wingers aren't doing a lot so maybe it would be best to change the formation? It is frustrating that all of pre season and in the games so far, we don't seem to be able to get the basics right. As others have said our experienced players  giving away stupid free kicks all the time - what is that all about?

It is no good having Vernon as the target man when he doesn't win much in the air; once again it seems that cutting corners on the playing budget is starting to cost us dear and I hope Slade can get us firing a bit before it falls completely flat.  

I think a lot depends on Saturday for our hopes this season. If we raise our game and get a good result it might spark us off, but a poor defeat and it could be a long winter.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back and a bit more..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.