Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back and a bit more..
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 162 Guests

Just back and a bit more..

This thread currently has 11,585 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
September 26, 2017, 10:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Crap.

Sorry but just crap , I just see a team who will avoid relegation and a club who will be dwindling on 3k gates as that's what John fenty deserves.

There is nowt about us and this was as bad as football gets , the fog luckily made it harder to see the hoofball on display.

I blame the players to a certain extent but I blame the manager more tonight , we lost last week so we drop Sam Jones and stick with the Care home defenders that seem to be never up for changing around .

The young lad from Norwich did more tonight and last week in 15 mins than Woodford did in 165 minutes .

I just can't see what our aim is and if we really want to do anything as I'm sorry Russell but your ten year old tactics don't show anything Marcus bignot did or couldn't do , you are as inconsistent as him and the only difference is you have learned all you can and he was still learning.

John promised us a real assault  on the league a real good go and he got his man to take us to the next level but I'm afraid as were many when you did this that Russel slades ship sailed about 5 clubs ago and he is not the answer to whatever it is you are trying to do.  .

I even left my Lincoln tickets tonight as I just cannot be arsed.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mikey_345
September 26, 2017, 10:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,271
Dreadful game, thing is we seem to look half decent when we get the ball down and play. But we just don't seem to want to do that.

Team that finished has to start Saturday.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 79
Hagrid
September 26, 2017, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 508
Not good. 2 poor teams but i think we created enough to win the game, demebel wasting a great chance 1st half and us only really showing up last ten of each half. High levels of frustration in the stands, their 1st was it a keeper error? And the 2nd i couldnt see. DJ MUST start, really impressive cameo, attacks the full backs and dont know why he isnt starting at the moment. Only positive i can take is we fought back twice for a point albeit against a poor side. Summerfield had a good game as did matt and Jones who did well when they came on, gave us another dimension. Dixons distribution is woeful, we arent bad enough to go down and are not good enough to challenge the top. Hope we turn up saturday and really give the gimps a game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 79
crusty ole pie
September 26, 2017, 10:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Bloody awful
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 79
Cloudy
September 26, 2017, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Was their first deflected or did it literally go straight through McKeown?

Equaliser a real route one but their tall centre back defended appallingly to firstly watch the ball go over his head then to bthe easily brushed aside by Hooper.  Dembele missed a sitter with the goal gaping but again that came about as a result of a lofted cross

Very foggy for their 2nd but it looked like the bat bit of football all game and a great finish.

Had a bit of pressure near the end and their gamesmanship was finally punished when Matt was hauled back although he still should have scored.

I don't think their are any good sides in this division but I still can't see us making a serious assault on the top of the table. Equally that no we will not be under serious threat of relegation.

The football is awful and I will not be busting a gut to go and watch for the time being
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 79
Ahh Sole
September 26, 2017, 10:18pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
We are what we deserve to be. Poor tactics, poor leadership from the top down and we got very lucky tonight. Enough said - no-one deserves MoM, we were that bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 79
Tradjazz
September 26, 2017, 10:21pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: -38
Will do no good with an engine room (midfield) who saw York relegated out of the league. It's like trying to win a Formula One Grand Prix with a Nissan Micra.
So frustrating. Surely we are better than this!!!!!!!!

Thank you Mr Corbyn (Steptoe), you are the best thing that has happened to the Conservatives for ages.
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 79
gobby
September 26, 2017, 10:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
Time to change the zimmer frame brigade. Any decent side would have ran us ragged, Jones, Matt and DJ altered things and helped us rob a point off a shite team.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 79
barralad
September 26, 2017, 10:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Tradjazz
Will do no good with an engine room (midfield) who saw York relegated out of the league. It's like trying to win a Formula One Grand Prix with a Nissan Micra.

I couldn't go tonight due to illness but have spoken to three people who did who independently said that Summerfield was our best player. How did he play in your view?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 79
Hagrid
September 26, 2017, 10:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I couldn't go tonight due to illness but have spoken to three people who did who independently said that Summerfield was our best player. How did he play in your view?

Only one who got his foot on the ball and got us moving forward. But the rest were bloody awful so it doesnt say much. Collins somehow got the sponsors MOM but ive long since given up on wondering how they choose
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 79
Ahh Sole
September 26, 2017, 10:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Tradjazz

Not sure you can blame a midfield that must have neck ache from watching the ball flying over their heads
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 79
Mrbump53
September 26, 2017, 10:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Think the difference was when the 3 subs came on. We then started to put the pressure on their back 4 which then went to a back five and then to a back four when their sub got carried off. Too many players had a poor game tonight and the team lacked pace until the subs.

I won't comment about their time wasting tactics but the ref (who was bl#%dy awful) should have booked their goalie and not sure why the penalty was not a red card as denied a scoring opportunity.

We go on and reset for the game on Saturday but RS must be looking to play Jones, Matt & DJ from the start at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 79
LH
September 26, 2017, 10:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Really poor against another really poor side who should have been a reasonable target for three points. I feared the worst when the team came on RH on my way there. The only positive I can take from tonight was that we managed to get back level twice in a game - perhaps shows a bit of fight but that's stretching the definition somewhat.

Other than five minutes in either half we were awful all over the pitch but this defence is absolutely appalling. I honestly can't believe that this is seen and signed as a "top seven" side's defence. I am going to assume that their first took a deflection (although I won't rule it going straight through McKeown's hands as it appeared it had from my angle). I know it was foggy for the second goal but they did seem to have a free passage through for it!

All in all a pretty depressing evening at Town - we look like a dying club. Crowd and atmosphere is going or gone, the entertainment on offer is dreadful, the whiney minority are becoming a majority or at least getting louder. I don't know anybody who is looking forward to the derby game on Saturday and I have never known that to happen. It should be a bit of a highlight in the nothing seasons but this one feels like we're being walked to the noose.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 79
Ahh Sole
September 26, 2017, 10:40pm
Shandy Drinker
Just listening to Slade - he's on a different planet to the one I'm on - apparently we deserved to win. And I thought Bignot was crackers............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 79
londonmariner2
September 26, 2017, 10:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
Worst football i have seen since Slades last time here.  Clark and Dixon are a downgrade on Pearson and Andrew. Dixon is very weak and has poor distribution. Woolford, berret were anonymous. Summerfield had a decentish game. Vernon and Dembele did ok in spells. The game improved when DJ, Matt and Jones came on and we could have won but that would have been unfair on Colchester. I thought Brandon Comley had a decent game for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 79
oldun
September 26, 2017, 10:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
A poor game to watch and we got out of jail to get point we just about deserved. The game itself was dull as the foggy weather. Just listened to Slade and he must have seen a different game to me. He said we were much the better side and had the chances to win it. He was pleased how we reacted after going behind. He had another go at Macca for the first goal which he is right about it went straight through him. He acknowledged we should have defended better for their second when their guy ran through us on our right side, cut in and scored a very good goal. I am coming to the conclusion that there are a lot of poor inconsistent teams in this league, serving up poor quality football. I am a ST holder but at present I am not enthusiastic about going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 79
heppy88
September 26, 2017, 10:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
Colchester were a poor side, but we were equally as bad.
If I could pick any player for MOM it would be Summerfield, showed determination, tried to keep the ball on the deck and produced some good passes.
To be honest although individually we have a mixed bag of talent, its the tactics and for that reason Slade has to take the blame. I lived away during Slades last stint at the club, so for me this is my first glimpse of Slades style of play. Its awful to watch. Despite there being 4 goals and Town coming back from behind on 2 occasions the game was dire. Normally I would be looking forward to the Lincoln game, a full house, but to be honest I'm losing interest and judging by the attendance and atmosphere tonight I'm not the only one. It saddens me what the club have done to the enthusiasm and goodwill that came about from Operation Promotion and resulting promotion. Its sh!te.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 79
Marinerz93
September 26, 2017, 10:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from LH
Really poor against another really poor side who should have been a reasonable target for three points. I feared the worst when the team came on RH on my way there. The only positive I can take from tonight was that we managed to get back level twice in a game - perhaps shows a bit of fight but that's stretching the definition somewhat.

Other than five minutes in either half we were awful all over the pitch but this defence is absolutely appalling. I honestly can't believe that this is seen and signed as a "top seven" side's defence. I am going to assume that their first took a deflection (although I won't rule it going straight through McKeown's hands as it appeared it had from my angle). I know it was foggy for the second goal but they did seem to have a free passage through for it!

All in all a pretty depressing evening at Town - we look like a dying club. Crowd and atmosphere is going or gone, the entertainment on offer is dreadful, the whiney minority are becoming a majority or at least getting louder. I don't know anybody who is looking forward to the derby game on Saturday and I have never known that to happen. It should be a bit of a highlight in the nothing seasons but this one feels like we're being walked to the noose.

Your an engineer, when bearings start to go you get a whiney noise, if you don't sort the problem out, then they degrade further you get loud grating noises. Until things better the voices of discontent will get louder and louder it's the order of football at every club.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 79
golfer
September 26, 2017, 10:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Thought the first half was not too bad with Summerfield threading the ball through a couple of times with good solid passes on the ground-why can't other players do this instead of the big boot-easy meat when the centre half is nearly 7 ft tall. We don't seem to have any tactics and our left side is woeful as usual. The players seem fitter but if there are any planned tactics it is becoming very hard for the supporters or even the players to understand. There has to be some sort of change but only one person can do this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 79
LH
September 26, 2017, 10:54pm

Quoted from Marinerz93

Your an engineer, when bearings start to go you get a whiney noise, if you don't sort the problem out, then they degrade further you get loud grating noises. Until things better the voices of discontent will get louder and louder it's the order of football at every club.

Yes, as an engineer I'd change the whiney thing before it gets worse. We need the whiney things in this situation because they're funding the club in the most part.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 79
Perkins
September 26, 2017, 11:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
I'll say it again.  Worst group of players since relegation season, and I don't see any light on the horizon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 79
friskneymariner
September 26, 2017, 11:17pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
I am more convinced that Slade does not know what he is doing,thought that as soon as saw starting line up,time to pull the trigger.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 79
Tommy
September 26, 2017, 11:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Absolutely dire game.

We had a good 3/4 minute spell at the end of the first half and then suddenly woke up when we equalised at the end and had a strong 5 minutes in injury time.

So about 8/9 minutes out of the 90 we looked like a football team.

Scratching for positives- we've ground out a point when not playing well. (Although listening to Slade on RH you'd think we played well). That's about it.

I'd have concerns for how fragile these players are mentally if it takes for us to equalise right near the end for them to wake up and play with some energy and intensity. Why weren't they fired up like that from the moment we went 2-1 down. Were they just feeling down and sorry for themselves until our goal perked them up again. That's worrying me.

I'd love to know if our back 4 just hoof the ball forward into an "area" because that's what they're told to do, or if it's then choosing to do it. Either way it's getting us no-where fast. I appreciate it'd be useful to have that longer pass or more direct option in your locker but it doesn't work as our primary game plan and we're not good enough at doing what would make it work.

We're lucky we were up against an equally dire side tonight.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 79
ginnywings
September 26, 2017, 11:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
One thing that crops up in every game is how many free kicks we give away, which indicates players who are slow in thought or deed, and in some cases both. Seem to be on the back foot a lot and lose more first balls than we win. We are also very easy to score against and i can't remember many goals that the opposition have had to really work to get. Two poor sides that didn't have enough nous to win the game and the Dembele love in is fading fast. All fart and no follow through. Give DJ a start and get Jones back in the side. He's the only consistent scorer we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 79
Maringer
September 27, 2017, 12:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Sorry to go against the prevailing narrative, but I don't think we were nearly as bad as most seem to think. In fact, I'm wondering if there is some sort of mass hysteria going on here because I don't recall people in the stand around me moaning anything like as much as I'm seeing here.

Did we play well? Well, no, but we still managed some periods of decent play, still had a lot more shots than them, forced many more saves, won a lot more corners, and had what looked like a certain penalty denied before we got the deserved equaliser. Dembele also missed the easiest chance of the game so we should have gone in with a half-time lead.

Are Colchester as terrible as everyone seems to think? Well, no, because they are only 4 points behind us and we're closer to the play-offs than the relegation spots.

Honestly, I've seen us play much worse than that against weaker teams in the past couple of years with not nearly the same sort of outpouring of angst that is around at the moment.

We finished last season in 14th position. After an indifferent start to this season we're currently in 13th position with 80% of the remaining games to play. Why the hysteria?

My take is that Slade hasn't decided on his strongest team as yet, hence the chopping and changing, but the players certainly haven't helped as we've been decent one week yet poor the next. A general lack of pace remains an issue but, as Colchester showed, having quick and athletic players isn't the be all and end all of football.

I'm very surprised that there is so much criticism of the defence in particular. Their first goal came from a goalkeeping error, the second came because the midfield didn't track the runner but otherwise we defended very solidly including at plenty of set pieces against a tall team. If you want to criticise the distribution, fair enough, but let's not pretend that the overall defending was bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 79
promotion plaice
September 27, 2017, 12:05am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189

1 point gained rather than 2 points lost in my opinion after that poor show.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 79
toontown
September 27, 2017, 12:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
It has to be said that was a really poor game, a largely poor performance against poor opposition.

There was a 5-10 min spell towards the end of each half when we came alive. I think there were mediocre performances all over the pitch, Summerfield (not his biggest fan) was a bright spot. Berrett was average, and Woolford was anonymous. There first was embarrassing, seemed to go straight through Macca. Hooper did the one thing he seems to be good at which is putting it in the net when given a decent shooting opportunity. Dembele was so close to burying a couple of chances but that final 'end product' people are saying he is lacking was still elusive.

2nd half, first attack and they take the lead. The subs took too long to make because Woolford and Vernon were anonymous all night. We at least fought back and made it 2-2 and had enough chances to justify that.  

It has to be said the atmosphere is poor around BP at the moment, and the interest is waning already in what looks a largely ordinary bunch of players, massively compounded by Slade's dire hofball tactics. For christs sake Town get it on the bleedin' deck!

I am worried about Saturday. If we lose heavily i fear for what will happen to the already sinking atmosphere, on the up-side it is a chance to put on a good performance in front of a large crowd and get people interested again, so for pity's sake get it down and play on the deck!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 79
ginnywings
September 27, 2017, 12:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Fair enough Maringer but it's the overall experience that is dire. You know we won't win if we go behind. There is no atmosphere or buzz about the place whatsoever. If a team has a poor record generally, they always seem to break that run against us. They had lost all their away games to date, yet they could have easily left with the three points. We just don't look at all menacing. We look bang average and mid table and when we do actually create something, we manage to fudge it up. The defence isn't that bad i agree, yet we are still giving away soft goals almost every game and far too many free kicks.

Uninspiring is the word.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 79
arryarryarry
September 27, 2017, 12:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Poor game, poor players, poor manager with poor tactics.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 79
Mariner Ronnie
September 27, 2017, 12:17am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Crap.

Sorry but just crap , I just see a team who will avoid relegation and a club who will be dwindling on 3k gates as that's what John fenty deserves.

There is nowt about us and this was as bad as football gets , the fog luckily made it harder to see the hoofball on display.

I blame the players to a certain extent but I blame the manager more tonight , we lost last week so we drop Sam Jones and stick with the Care home defenders that seem to be never up for changing around .

The young lad from Norwich did more tonight and last week in 15 mins than Woodford did in 165 minutes .

I just can't see what our aim is and if we really want to do anything as I'm sorry Russell but your ten year old tactics don't show anything Marcus bignot did or couldn't do , you are as inconsistent as him and the only difference is you have learned all you can and he was still learning.

John promised us a real assault  on the league a real good go and he got his man to take us to the next level but I'm afraid as were many when you did this that Russel slades ship sailed about 5 clubs ago and he is not the answer to whatever it is you are trying to do.  .

I even left my Lincoln tickets tonight as I just cannot be arsed.

You'll be there.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 79
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 27, 2017, 12:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
My biggest concern after tonights game was not the quality of performance but the content of Slade's radio interview.

I was hoping he would agree that on the night it was a very poor quality game, with many players out of touch and that whilst on chances we maybe should have won a draw was probably about right. His summary of the game was so far off the mark as to be unbelievable, and I am one of the supporters who does not normally have a problem with him.

To date the visiting sides to BP have not been of the best quality and Colchester were nearly as poor as Yeovil. As for us there is no pattern of play other than the long ball. I can accept long ball when used as a legitimate tactic that suits your players, a la Reddy many years back, and hearing stats re Cardiff's approach currently. I think we will witness a Lincoln team who know how to play this with talented, fast wingers and aggressive midfield players who will quickly pick up any second balls, think we are in for a tough time come Saturday followed by weeks of urine taking over here in Lincoln.

Cannot see how our full backs will cope, Dixon is probably the worst passer of a ball I have ever seen play for town, our midfield two are certainly not physically strong enough or quick enough to take control and Dembele is a pasenge at present and should have been given that rest we thought he was to receive.

Think we need DJ and Big Tom in wide positions with Matt and Jones to give us some pace and power, with Rose playing alongside, Berrett & Summerfield. At the back I would probably look at playing a back three with Osbourne recalled to give us a bit of pace and more aerial power to combat their aerial strength.

Will not hold my breath & will attend more in hope then anticipation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 79
hheh2
September 27, 2017, 12:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Dembele had a good chance should have put away

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 79
Mendonca1995
September 27, 2017, 6:29am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Hagrid
Not good. 2 poor teams but i think we created enough to win the game, demebel wasting a great chance 1st half and us only really showing up last ten of each half. High levels of frustration in the stands, their 1st was it a keeper error? And the 2nd i couldnt see. DJ MUST start, really impressive cameo, attacks the full backs and dont know why he isnt starting at the moment. Only positive i can take is we fought back twice for a point albeit against a poor side. Summerfield had a good game as did matt and Jones who did well when they came on, gave us another dimension. Dixons distribution is woeful, we arent bad enough to go down and are not good enough to challenge the top. Hope we turn up saturday and really give the gimps a game
SUMMERFIELD HAD A GOOD GAME WERE WAS YOU TONIGHT HE WAS AWFUL AND IS AWFUL i

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 79
Cloudy
September 27, 2017, 6:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mendonca1995

I was there and thought Summerfield was the only one who tried to thread passes forward to our players whether in to feet of strikers or into space for Dembele. He won more challenges than the other 3 midfielders combined.

Easily in the top 3 Town players on the night
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
Ahh Sole
September 27, 2017, 6:50am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Sorry to go against the prevailing narrative, but I don't think we were nearly as bad as most seem to think. In fact, I'm wondering if there is some sort of mass hysteria going on here because I don't recall people in the stand around me moaning anything like as much as I'm seeing here.

Most of the people round me were moaning until they fell asleep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
HackneyHaddock
September 27, 2017, 7:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Even in the worst games this season, you can find odd moments where the team get the ball on the ground and pass it, and look better.

Can anyone with a bit more football knowledge than me tell me why Slade/they are so reluctant to get the ball on the ground and pass it to feet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 79
Hagrid
September 27, 2017, 7:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mendonca1995

Was you there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
Garth
September 27, 2017, 7:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Mendonca1995

YOU NEED GLASSES, HE WAS THE BEST MIDFIELDER BY FAR, give credit where its due
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
1mickylyons
September 27, 2017, 7:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Cloudy
Was their first deflected or did it literally go straight through McKeown?

Equaliser a real route one but their tall centre back defended appallingly to firstly watch the ball go over his head then to bthe easily brushed aside by Hooper.  Dembele missed a sitter with the goal gaping but again that came about as a result of a lofted cross

Very foggy for their 2nd but it looked like the bat bit of football all game and a great finish.

Had a bit of pressure near the end and their gamesmanship was finally punished when Matt was hauled back although he still should have scored.

I don't think their are any good sides in this division but I still can't see us making a serious assault on the top of the table. Equally that no we will not be under serious threat of relegation.

The football is awful and I will not be busting a gut to go and watch for the time being

The 2nd Colchester goal came because 2 Town players never got a tackle in think it was Berret and Davies?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 79
Mariner93er
September 27, 2017, 7:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Summerfield may have been our best player, but let's be honest, that isn't saying much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
golfer
September 27, 2017, 7:35am
Vodka Drinker
If Slade thinks we were far superior then he wants a refund from Specsavers. With statements like that the man proves he hasn't got a clue-he is not fit for purpose and as for having an assistant possibly a carer would be more beneficial.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 79
headingly_mariner
September 27, 2017, 7:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
One thing that crops up in every game is how many free kicks we give away, which indicates players who are slow in thought or deed, and in some cases both. Seem to be on the back foot a lot and lose more first balls than we win. We are also very easy to score against and i can't remember many goals that the opposition have had to really work to get. Two poor sides that didn't have enough nous to win the game and the Dembele love in is fading fast. All fart and no follow through. Give DJ a start and get Jones back in the side. He's the only consistent scorer we have.

Agree about it being two poor teams. I do think as poor as we were we created easily enough chances to win the game and should've been comfortably in front by the 2nd half. The football is certainly not pretty.
Feel for Dembele last night because he was unlucky when he thumped the inside of the post and he put in the best cross of the season for Hooper to fluff his header.

Whilst it was excrement, it was good to see us come from behind twice and Matt should've won the game in the end even though that would've been more than we deserved.  
Not great value for money if you paid 20 quid though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 79
jonnyboy82
September 27, 2017, 7:48am
Vodka Drinker
Summerfield was our best player but to me that shows how garbage we was.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 79
Garth
September 27, 2017, 7:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Summerfield was our best player but to me that shows how garbage we was were.

Sorry Johnny just on edge a bit this morning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 79
Maringer
September 27, 2017, 8:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Regarding ginny's point about free-kicks, I'm in agreement. OK, last night their players were going down like a pack of cards at the slightest hint of a touch, but we still gave them a heck of a lot of opportunities to whack the ball into our box and cause a potential threat with their height at the back. I'd say it isn't as much the defenders doing this as the midfield and strikers with Dembele particularly guilty of trying to get a foot in when the ball isn't in a threatening position but also isn't there to win. After our second equaliser last night, we had enough time to put them under some pressure but immediately gave away a couple of stupid fouls in their half which allowed them to calm down and put it into our half.

I think Slade is a percentages type of manager who thinks Charles Hughes was on to something, hence the desire for us to get the ball forward quickly. Problem is that we're not backing up the strikers well enough to be successful at this so we're not picking up enough of the second balls when it is hit long and we're also not using the ball intelligently enough either. Very few balls into the corner to run on to of the sort we saw in the Slade Mk. I era.

I agree that we need to pass the ball a bit more, but I've not seen anything to indicate we're nearly accurate enough at this to play a tippy-tappy sort of game.

I have to say that the comment earlier in this thread that Dixon is one of the worst passers we've ever had is just ridiculous. If anything, I'd say one of his strengths is that he's comfortable on the ball and decent at passing. His weakness is a relative lack of pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 79
Hagrid
September 27, 2017, 8:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
I think his distribution is woeful sorry Maringer. Everybpass is to an opponant or out of play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 79
quebec38
September 27, 2017, 8:11am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
I'm with Maringer on this one. It wasn't the best of matches but it's 4th tier football. That's not an admission that we should just accept rubbish but I don't think the game was far too dissimilar to many others in League Two. IMO we were the better side and deserved the win (without being spectacular). All ifs and buts, but had it not been for a goalkeeper error or a good second goal we'd have come away with another win and for me a similar level performance to Crewe and Yeovil.
...Having said all of that... I do agree that we don't seem to have a particular style or game plan which is concerning. It all seems a bit 'keep going and we might score'. Slade still doesn't seem sure of his starting 11. I think Hooper has been unlucky to find himself out of the side in recent weeks and showed again last night what he can do. Imo he's our liveliest centre forward. I don't know whether he was forced off and I know Vernon soon followed but I don't think Vernon and Matt should ever be on the pitch at the same time. Not because of their ability but just because of what they offer.
Mckeown, Davies (Mills fit?), Dixon, Clarke, Collins, Dembele, Woolford, Berrett, Rose, Jones, Hooper in a 442 for me on Saturday. Harsh on Summerfield who I don't think had a bad game last night. It's gonna be a real struggle because they are a more dynamic, better coached side brimming with confidence there's no doubting that. We'll have to be right up for it so hopefully the gate will be up and play a part.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 79
psgmariner
September 27, 2017, 8:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
If we can't beat them then we are in trouble. Their centre backs were very poor and the only decent players were Comley and their left mid who looked the best player on the pitch.

We were equally as bad. Summerfield was the best of a bad lot and thought Hooper did ok.

I'm getting a nasty feeling that we are actually excrement.

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 79
1mickylyons
September 27, 2017, 8:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from barralad

He was no worse than anyone else in a town shirt mate and put in far more effort than most as always.He isn`t great and playing alongside JB doesn`t help because neither are creative
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 79
moosey_club
September 27, 2017, 8:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
will try and offer my more considered thoughts, however, my post last night still stands for an overall summary....

Summerfield - passed the ball forwards with intent at times, actually giving the strikers and Dembele the ball to feet..
Clarke and Collins - steady but no particular test for them from the opposition
Davies - too many free kicks given away when he simply just barges into the back of players who are presenting no goal threat
Dixon & Woolford - zero influence on our ball retention or attacking play...its like having Robertson & Monkhouse...two aging players who cant outrun players and dont have the legs to even try....Woolford needs an overlapping full back to feed, Dixon needs a speedy tricky winger in front of him. With those two in the starting line we instantly lose a whole attacking option and have to rely on the opposite wing.
Dembele - bright moments ending in little end product, trying too hard probably but when the attacking width sits squarely on your shoulders then perhaps thats why
Hooper - made his goal out of nothing but not alot else, probably due to service and his partner for the night
Vernon - not alot of service to suit his capability, tried but just not capable of creating goals in that sort of style
McKeown - howler for the first, down his throat and straight through him but not alot of other.
Berrett - didnt really notice either way

Tactics - it is either a direct instruction from Slade to hit it long and then hopefully pick up the pieces....or the back four have so little option from the midfield they have to either go backwards and let Mckeown hit it or long or they just do it themselves.

Post Edit - oh and FFS can we please sort out the fking throw ins !!! We dont have a long throw in the locker so why do we persist with pretending we do ?? Every single attempt last night fell about 5 yds short of our players....either the player has to start closer to the thrower or we just scrap it...it didnt work 1000 times last season and it isnt going to work this season either if we carry on as is.

Either way up its uninspiring and 2000 less on the home gate since the opening home game speaks volumes considering  the defined target from the board/manager/club is play off / promotion.

The Fans arent buying it John.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 79
Ahh Sole
September 27, 2017, 9:11am
Shandy Drinker
The thing that I've noticed is that our front players seem incapable of moving to find space. That tells me they are either not being well coached or have been told to expect the ball in the air. It seems to change when DJ comes on as he tries to make things happen but watching Hooper and Vernon as a front 2 is so frustrating!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 79
sam gy
September 27, 2017, 9:18am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
During our conference years, think if anyone was offered a drab 2-2 draw at home to Colchester on a Tuesday night to leave us mid table in lg2, we'd have taken it. There were certainly many posts on here stating things along those lines during those years.

Sounded like a dire game, which im not excusing but then....I can't really remember many games from the past 5 or so years that were actually entertaining in a football sense. We were just more clinical in the conference.

As for Slades comments...he just seems to be focusing on the positives rather than the negatives and it did sound like we had a fair amount of chances. Can't blame him for doing this when we've got a big derby game coming up and he wants to instil confidence in his players.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 79
Mendonca1995
September 27, 2017, 9:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth

YOU NEED GLASSES, HE WAS THE BEST MIDFIELDER BY FAR, give credit where its due

Giving away need less free kicks playing the ball out of play and not being able to play a 5 yard ball suggests otherwise,if we are having to rely on him from midfield then we have problems simple as that really

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 79
Mendonca1995
September 27, 2017, 9:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
I think his distribution is woeful sorry Maringer. Everybpass is to an opponant or out of play

100% agree

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 79
Mariners_15
September 27, 2017, 9:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Flat, flat and flat. Best word to describe the whole club and the air around it I feel..

I would vent more but I really can't be bothered at the minute, it all feels like a chore.

I'll be there Saturday but I fear the worst.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 79
golfer
September 27, 2017, 9:33am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
will try and offer my more considered thoughts, however, my post last night still stands for an overall summary....

Summerfield - passed the ball forwards with intent at times, actually giving the strikers and Dembele the ball to feet..
Clarke and Collins - steady but no particular test for them from the opposition
Davies - too many free kicks given away when he simply just barges into the back of players who are presenting no goal threat
Dixon & Woolford - zero influence on our ball retention or attacking play...its like having Robertson & Monkhouse...two aging players who cant outrun players and dont have the legs to even try....Woolford needs an overlapping full back to feed, Dixon needs a speedy tricky winger in front of him. With those two in the starting line we instantly lose a whole attacking option and have to rely on the opposite wing.
Dembele - bright moments ending in little end product, trying too hard probably but when the attacking width sits squarely on your shoulders then perhaps thats why
Hooper - made his goal out of nothing but not alot else, probably due to service and his partner for the night
Vernon - not alot of service to suit his capability, tried but just not capable of creating goals in that sort of style
McKeown - howler for the first, down his throat and straight through him but not alot of other.
Berrett - didnt really notice either way

Tactics - it is either a direct instruction from Slade to hit it long and then hopefully pick up the pieces....or the back four have so little option from the midfield they have to either go backwards and let Mckeown hit it or long or they just do it themselves.

Post Edit - oh and FFS can we please sort out the fking throw ins !!! We dont have a long throw in the locker so why do we persist with pretending we do ?? Every single attempt last night fell about 5 yds short of our players....either the player has to start closer to the thrower or we just scrap it...it didnt work 1000 times last season and it isnt going to work this season either if we carry on as is.

Either way up its uninspiring and 2000 less on the home gate since the opening home game speaks volumes considering  the defined target from the board/manager/club is play off / promotion.

The Fans arent buying it John.

A very good and in my opinion accurate summary. Have you thought of taking up sports writing ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 79
grimps
September 27, 2017, 10:19am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from sam gy
During our conference years, think if anyone was offered a drab 2-2 draw at home to Colchester on a Tuesday night to leave us mid table in lg2, we'd have taken it. There were certainly many posts on here stating things along those lines during those years.

Sounded like a dire game, which im not excusing but then....I can't really remember many games from the past 5 or so years that were actually entertaining in a football sense. We were just more clinical in the conference.

As for Slades comments...he just seems to be focusing on the positives rather than the negatives and it did sound like we had a fair amount of chances. Can't blame him for doing this when we've got a big derby game coming up and he wants to instil confidence in his players.

During our championship years I think if anyone was offered a drab 2-2 at home to Colchester on a Tuesday night to leave us mid table inLg 2 I bet nobody would have taken it  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 79
Heisenberg
September 27, 2017, 10:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,815
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimps

During our champoinship years I think if anyone was offered a darb 2-2 at home to Colchester on a Tuesday night to leave us mid table inLg 2 I bet nobody would have taken it  

When we were in The Championship, we had poor attendances and we used to moan constantly, despite being way out of our depth and miraculously avoiding relegation every season (OK, except 2 out of many).

When we were in League 1 for that single season, we complained bitterly every week, justifiably.

When we were in League 2, we thought we have a God-given right to go up every year, and we complained bitterly.

When we were in The Conference we (again, rightly so) complained every single week for 6 years.

Now we're in League 2, the one thing we pined for for 6 whole years, and most people are whingeing again.

I tell you now, I'd take what we have right now over even 1 more season in The Conference, every day of the f#cking week.  I know it's not great right now, but it's been much, much worse.  I agree that we need to do better, and maybe Slade isn't going to take us forward, but this season ain't over yet, the team have a job to do, and we still have two very good players (Assante, and particularly Osborne) to come back yet.  We have to keep some sort of faith, as nothing is gonna change until January at least.

IT COULD, AND OFTEN HAS BEEN, MUCH MUCH WORSE.  I know we all want better, but rather this than 6 years of torture again.  I still pinch myself that we got out of there at all, I thought we'd rot there forever.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 79
friskneymariner
September 27, 2017, 10:57am

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Think all the fumes from the precursors have effect you Walt.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 79
lew chaterleys lover
September 27, 2017, 11:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
I have defended Berret and Summerfield in the past, but I thought last night that Berrett in particular looked very weak.

We simply have not got the quality needed in the centre of the park - Rose is not really an improvement on either but if we haven't got the quality in there then we must have more bodies in the middle otherwise we will keep getting overrun. The wingers aren't doing a lot so maybe it would be best to change the formation? It is frustrating that all of pre season and in the games so far, we don't seem to be able to get the basics right. As others have said our experienced players  giving away stupid free kicks all the time - what is that all about?

It is no good having Vernon as the target man when he doesn't win much in the air; once again it seems that cutting corners on the playing budget is starting to cost us dear and I hope Slade can get us firing a bit before it falls completely flat.  

I think a lot depends on Saturday for our hopes this season. If we raise our game and get a good result it might spark us off, but a poor defeat and it could be a long winter.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 79
LH
September 27, 2017, 11:32am

Yes we whinged about Conference footy and it does seem odd to whinge now we're back in League Two but anybody who has seen us play this season will fully understand the justification for the whinging.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 79
jimgtfc
September 27, 2017, 11:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Thought I'd leave it overnight to see if I could dream up any positives from that showing last night... we're a point better off, that's about it.

I'm not really seeing much of a game plan from us at the minute, only a long ball from the defence to the strikers in the hope that they can either flick it on and hope someone gets on the end of it, or hope that the striker can control it and hope he has enough support to build on from there. A lot of hoping there. There's no desire to play through the midfield and that has to come from the manager, and that tells me one thing, he isn't confident with the central midfield that we have. And that certainly isn't a dig and Berrett or in particular Summerfield as they both did there jobs well and the latter played some very nice positive forward passes to feet. But I don't feel as though we have a midfield that can dominate and boss a game, so maybe that is why we have tended to go a bit more direct.

As for the individual performances...

Macca. Did what he had to, no chance with their second but I'd like to see the first again, not sure if it deflected or just went straight through him.

Davies. Good on the ball and delivered a couple of excellent crosses when he had space in front of him, struggled to beat his man when 1v1 though due to lack of pace. Very little link up with Dembele, probably due to him having to play longer passes. Gave away a few silly free kicks.

Clarke and Collins. Thought they played quite well actually, just because we conceded 2 goals doesn't automatically mean they had poor games. They restricted them to limited attacks, but went long with the ball more often than not again probably down to instruction.

Dixon. New left back needed in January in my opinion, or even play Zak Mills there when he's fit enough. He fell over twice last night when their winger knocked it past him, and as for someone saying passing is his best attitude well maybe that says it all because his distribution is appalling when going forward. I'd like to see some opta stats for his pass completion against Yeovil because it was probably even worse than last night.

Dembele. Drifted in and out, plenty of effort but it's just not happening for him at the minute, should have scored first half when he hit the post. I don't think he is helped by the current tactics of bypassing the midfield.

Summerfield. Plenty of graft and a few nice passes, but bypassed most of the game.

Berrett. Similar to Summerfield but gave away a few silly free kicks, especially one at the end when we were putting them under pressure and that killed it. He does take an excellent set piece though. Like I said earlier I don't think this duo have enough about them to dominate games.

Woolford. It genuinely just took me about a minute to remember who started left wing. That says it all, absolutely anonymous apart from one long range effort first half.

Hooper and Vernon. Left chasing long balls all night and expected to create something out of them. Very difficult, but JJ took his goal very well and Vernon linked the play well at times.

Subs. DJ gave their full backs something to think about when he came on and certainly improved on Woolford. Matt put himself about and drew attention from the centre halves if nothing else, good to see him in a good position to win the penalty. Jones added a bit more skill and versatility to the front line and took the pen well.

Poor game, poor performance and we need to up our game if we're to get anything more than a point out of these two home games.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 79
psgmariner
September 27, 2017, 12:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Positives? This from a Colchester fan:

Entertaining game, we probably deserved a win, but I want to focus on the Grimsby welcome (initially as above), hospitality and stewarding......FANTASTIC.

The visitors bar has a cosy pub like atmosphere with visitors scarves dressing the lofted ceiling. The bar manager remembered us from last year and had ordered extra bottled 'real ale' (we had drank it dry last year). The stewards made extra effort to chat with everybody, and when the fog moved in, encouraged us to move en-bloc from behind the goal to the corner. Familiar with the local conditions, they told us we will see better from that angle (and were right). The half time pie was a proper pie with real meat rather than a thickened broth of giblets. Cowling and Waddington to note; this was how to look after proper fans.

We gained home fan respect for our generous support of Scott Vernon and when the announcement came that 89 U's fans had made the trip we were applauded. Kind words too from home fans as we climbed aboard the 'bus, quite different from the provocation from the Wycombe hooligans. The behaviour of the U's fans was high-spirited, but the respect from stewards and sensible "light touch" was all that was necessary. Hugely enjoyable, came away much less disappointed with the result because it made watching a competitive football match a good experience not the sterile, sanitised, breeze block, South Stand. Who wants to eat a pie in a catering area that has the same ambience as the urinals and the beer is Green King IPAswitch dishwater. Well done Grimsby,!

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/.....-us-without-trace/#9

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 79
Mariner Ronnie
September 27, 2017, 12:16pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from psgmariner

Entertaining game, we probably deserved a win, but I want to focus on the Grimsby welcome (initially as above), hospitality and stewarding......FANTASTIC.

The visitors bar has a cosy pub like atmosphere with visitors scarves dressing the lofted ceiling. The bar manager remembered us from last year and had ordered extra bottled 'real ale' (we had drank it dry last year). The stewards made extra effort to chat with everybody, and when the fog moved in, encouraged us to move en-bloc from behind the goal to the corner. Familiar with the local conditions, they told us we will see better from that angle (and were right). The half time pie was a proper pie with real meat rather than a thickened broth of giblets. Cowling and Waddington to note; this was how to look after proper fans.

We gained home fan respect for our generous support of Scott Vernon and when the announcement came that 89 U's fans had made the trip we were applauded. Kind words too from home fans as we climbed aboard the 'bus, quite different from the provocation from the Wycombe hooligans. The behaviour of the U's fans was high-spirited, but the respect from stewards and sensible "light touch" was all that was necessary. Hugely enjoyable, came away much less disappointed with the result because it made watching a competitive football match a good experience not the sterile, sanitised, breeze block, South Stand. Who wants to eat a pie in a catering area that has the same ambience as the urinals and the beer is Green King IPAswitch dishwater. Well done Grimsby,!

Excellent, good treatment to the paying customer means they'll come back again, unlike Stevenage, Cheltenham, FGR and the like.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 79
grimps
September 27, 2017, 12:21pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from psgmariner

There doesnt seem to be much traffic on their website , surely they have another one ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 79
jonnyboy82
September 27, 2017, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Well done to the club for making Colchester welcome.

Nice of them to see it and goes to show we ain't a club full of knuckle draggdraggers.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 79
barralad
September 27, 2017, 5:36pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Well done to the club for making Colchester welcome.

Nice of them to see it and goes to show we ain't a club full of knuckle draggdraggers.

Nice to see away fan recognition. All credit for the welcome in the Away Bar should go to Sharon Dobbs and her team. The job they've done in there is truly extraordinary.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 79
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2017, 6:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good to read something positive for once this season! Well done to the stewards and and everyone involved in the away bar.

Think there were similar comments from a number of different clubs for the last couple of years in the Conference. This (the welcoming nature of a lot of non-League clubs) is one aspect of life 'down there' which we ought to do our damnedest to retain. We've lost the togetherness from Op Promotion (but notably rekindled for Op Mariachi).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 79
barralad
September 27, 2017, 7:14pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Good to read something positive for once this season! Well done to the stewards and and everyone involved in the away bar.

Think there were similar comments from a number of different clubs for the last couple of years in the Conference. This (the welcoming nature of a lot of non-League clubs) is one aspect of life 'down there' which we ought to do our damnedest to retain. We've lost the togetherness from Op Promotion (but notably rekindled for Op Mariachi).

Agree with that. Still remember getting off the Supporters bus at Bath to virtual red carpet treatment and a senior Bath official shaking us by the hand. First visit to Eastleigh...their chairman bought every Town fan in the bar a drink.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 79
Marinerz93
September 27, 2017, 7:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from Heisenberg

When we were in The Championship, we had poor attendances and we used to moan constantly, despite being way out of our depth and miraculously avoiding relegation every season (OK, except 2 out of many).

When we were in League 1 for that single season, we complained bitterly every week, justifiably.

When we were in League 2, we thought we have a God-given right to go up every year, and we complained bitterly.

When we were in The Conference we (again, rightly so) complained every single week for 6 years.

Now we're in League 2, the one thing we pined for for 6 whole years, and most people are whingeing again.

I tell you now, I'd take what we have right now over even 1 more season in The Conference, every day of the f#cking week.  I know it's not great right now, but it's been much, much worse.  I agree that we need to do better, and maybe Slade isn't going to take us forward, but this season ain't over yet, the team have a job to do, and we still have two very good players (Assante, and particularly Osborne) to come back yet.  We have to keep some sort of faith, as nothing is gonna change until January at least.

IT COULD, AND OFTEN HAS BEEN, MUCH MUCH WORSE.  I know we all want better, but rather this than 6 years of torture again.  I still pinch myself that we got out of there at all, I thought we'd rot there forever.

People are venting because we see the same signs that got us relegated in the first place, a team devoid of ideas, guile and fight and a manager who seems oblivious to what is actually going on. A board who in over 15 years don't have a clue how to deliver a successful football club.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 79
Bigdog
September 27, 2017, 8:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from barralad

Nice to see away fan recognition. All credit for the welcome in the Away Bar should go to Sharon Dobbs and her team. The job they've done in there is truly extraordinary.

Congratulations to Sharon and her team for building up a really strong and growing reputation from visiting fans. It must take a lot of hard work and dedication..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 79
Cloudy
September 27, 2017, 8:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Congratulations to Sharon and her team for building up a really strong and growing reputation from visiting fans. It must take a lot of hard work and dedication..

Wasn't Sharon deemed surplus to requirements by the club a few years ago?

Seems she has more than proved her value yet previously seen as just a cost!

Sums things up
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 79
Civvy at last
September 27, 2017, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Cloudy

Sums things up

Shhhhhhhh

She might get a 'stairway'  career chat and end up being replaced by someone happy to pay for the 'bar manager' experience. 😉

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 79
barralad
September 27, 2017, 9:13pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Cloudy

Sums things up

I know you haven't much time for the club but it would be quite nice if you didn't use comments praising Sharon to have another dig.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 79
barralad
September 27, 2017, 9:14pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Civvy at last

Shhhhhhhh

She might get a 'stairway'  career chat and end up being replaced by someone happy to pay for the 'bar manager' experience. 😉

Sharon is employed by The Trust.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 79
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2017, 9:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

Sums things up

That probably sums up the whole malaise around the club.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 79
Civvy at last
September 27, 2017, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from barralad

It was totally in jest Barra. I know we're all a bit fragile at the moment but let's chill a bit. 😀😀

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 79
Cloudy
September 27, 2017, 9:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I know you haven't much time for the club but it would be quite nice if you didn't use comments praising Sharon to have another dig.

I wouldn't dream of 'using ' Sharon as you call it. She and her team obviously do a great job
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 79
Ahh Sole
September 27, 2017, 9:45pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Perhaps the Trust should be in charge of all appointments then  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 79
Heisenberg
September 28, 2017, 6:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,815
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from friskneymariner
Think all the fumes from the precursors have effect you Walt.

Got me........
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 79
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back and a bit more..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.