Reply: 40 - 62
Bigdog
September 7, 2017, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I've supported the club for nearly fifty years and have now found myself at an unexpected crossroads. Do I continue to care about GTFC or do I let it go, get rid of the stress and turn my attentions to something new that I can actually enjoy? I'm reluctantly coming down on the side of pastures anew and there's one burning issue that's finally tipping the scales.

Has the club actually got a philosophy and a way forward that I can buy into for the remaining years I've got left on the planet? The answer sadly is no, not a glimmer. I can't put up with the club being run the Fenty way any more. The club deserves to be more that one man's twenty year long wet dream and I can't see it ending any time soon and certainly can't put up with it for the rest of my days. It's becoming so boring now.

The way the club is being run is that the primary objective is for JF to remain in charge, doing things the JF way and now there's no extra cash available it's JF's new investment budget of zero. Everything else is secondary as is the way with long term incumbents of far off republics. Wouldn't even cross his mind that there could be better times ahead with someone new at the helm. There's been a whole raft of clubs that have taken massive strides forward, look down the road at Scunny and Donny, you don't even have to look far at all.

Tell me I'm not a true fan, I don't care. Make noose jokes, I don't care. I've cared enough about the club for far too long to deserve being given so little back for such a long time now. Something's got to change and I just can't ever see it being GTFC, so it will have to be me..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
promotion plaice
September 7, 2017, 9:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Bigdog
I've supported the club for nearly fifty years and have now found myself at an unexpected crossroads. Do I continue to care about GTFC or do I let it go, get rid of the stress and turn my attentions to something new that I can actually enjoy? I'm reluctantly coming down on the side of pastures anew and there's one burning issue that's finally tipping the scales.

Has the club actually got a philosophy and a way forward that I can buy into for the remaining years I've got left on the planet? The answer sadly is no, not a glimmer. I can't put up with the club being run the Fenty way any more. The club deserves to be more that one man's twenty year long wet dream and I can't see it ending any time soon and certainly can't put up with it for the rest of my days. It's becoming so boring now.

The way the club is being run is that the primary objective is for JF to remain in charge, doing things the JF way and now there's no extra cash available it's JF's new investment budget of zero. Everything else is secondary as is the way with long term incumbents of far off republics. Wouldn't even cross his mind that there could be better times ahead with someone new at the helm. There's been a whole raft of clubs that have taken massive strides forward, look down the road at Scunny and Donny, you don't even have to look far at all.

Tell me I'm not a true fan, I don't care. Make noose jokes, I don't care. I've cared enough about the club for far too long to deserve being given so little back for such a long time now. Something's got to change and I just can't ever see it being GTFC, so it will have to be me..

I get what you are saying Bigdog but give it another 3 years and if the new stadium hasn't happened by then I think a few more will agree with you.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
sydney
September 7, 2017, 9:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Inward thinking
Backs to the wall stuff
Has there ever been a serious attempt to bring in a long term investment plan for the club
A, let's do a Bournemouth or a Burnley within 10 years type of thing
Lincoln will if we don't which is a double kick
Love This club, have done for countless decades
Would like to know where we are going long term
Come On Town beat fat Scottish cheating w@nk@r sat
I really don't like him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
Marinerz93
September 7, 2017, 11:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Yeah I want the chairman to tell us the managers been hired to keep us in the lower reaches of L2

The line was spilled as a justification for sacking Bignot.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
Marinerz93
September 7, 2017, 11:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
That would guarantee 6000 season tickets

What would guarantee that sort of season ticket sales would be what Lincoln experienced last season and now reap the rewards for it.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
friskneymariner
September 7, 2017, 11:11pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Bigdog

Exactly the stage I am at Bigdog been supporting Town since 1963 and only missed a handful of home matches despite 100 mile round trip.However it has increasingly become a chore to get myself motivated for home matches.What is quite clear is that this club has an entrophic management organization and things will never change under the present regime.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
louth_in_the_south
September 7, 2017, 11:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,674
Gold Stars: 95
Over the last 50 years big dog friskney etc has it always been success unlimited? No there's been sh.it times under the different regimes, it's just football is changing so much there's no long line of people who want to take over gtfc as it's basically a money pit . You've either got to be stupidly rich like matey at Bournemouth to use your example or be happy to blow your not so massive fortune. Gtfc has to be run like a business or it'll go bust . Forgot stupid dreams of getting to the prem cos it's not going to happen . If someone comes along with enough ££ to buy out Fenty then ok , it's probably time for a change but I'm not holding my breath they appear any time soon

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
September 8, 2017, 8:23am
Guest User
Skegness' very own Town Crier Steve O'Dare is still popping in then with his fishing rod  
Reply: 48 - 62
TownSNAFU5
September 8, 2017, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I understand with how you feel Bigdog.   It is hard not to care though after 50 years. (I have been going for more than 50 years and have always lived away).

The Club is part of you and your life.  Think of how much, time, energy and money that you have invested.  Knowing that there is no guarantee of any return on your investment.

You are pessimistic at the moment.  It could be worse, it is the hope and expectation that really gets to you. Well, when they are often dashed and come to nothing.

All the bad times make the few good times so much better.  Think golden goal at the first Wembley visit or beating FGR at Wembley to get back in the League.  Exeter promotion win at home or beating Sheffield United 4-0 to win the old Div 3 championship etc.

You never know what is around the corner in football.  You may well miss the involvement of being emotionally involved with something you do care about.  You may get divorced but nobody supports another team after beieng hooked.

Give it another 3 seasons and then review. If you did not want fellow fans to echo these sentiments then you could have simply stopped going.  I think that you just need a reason or reasons to keep supporting.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.