7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
September 8, 2017, 11:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Here here unfortunately this new stadium issue is the most important thing in the Club`s recent history this needs to be got right.Once that has been delivered we will be a Club on the up but until then we are treading water with an outside chance of League 1 football but more likely a mid table league 2 Club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
Cloudy
September 8, 2017, 11:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Here here unfortunately this new stadium issue is the most important thing in the Club`s recent history this needs to be got right.Once that has been delivered we will be a Club on the up but until then we are treading water with an outside chance of League 1 football but more likely a mid table league 2 Club.

I agree, but sadly just dont see it coming to fruition any time soon
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
Maringer
September 8, 2017, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,381
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

The Club is part of you and your life.  Think of how much, time, energy and money that you have invested.  Knowing that there is no guarantee of any return on your investment.

Investment? Flipping heck, I didn't realise I was buying my season ticket with the expectation of some sort of a return. Just hope (not even anticipation) that I'll see some entertaining and exciting games from time to time and, truth be told, that's the best the fan of any lower-division club can expect these days.

It's pretty straightforward, really. Support the club if you want to but if you've really lost interest then do something else which will hopefully bring you some enjoyment.

Complaining about the way the club is being run is fair enough but, as has generally been the case, the average fan can't do anything about those in charge. Good work though the trust may do, we're not a wealthy area and the chances of us ever become a club run by the fans is slim so we're stuck with Fenty until he gets sick of it all himself or some other new sugar daddy appears over the horizon with cash to lose. Don't hold your breath on this one.

Just hope that we get a bit of luck one way or the other and that one of the managerial appointments and signings can win us a promotion as, judging by the way the game has gone these days and given the size of the club, the third tier ought to be our level. If we managed this and things went particularly well, we might manage the odd season in the Championship, but any hope of becoming a fixture there as in the past seems very unlikely, as money is king these days.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
topuphere666
September 8, 2017, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
friskneymariner
September 8, 2017, 7:15pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Over the last 50 years big dog friskney etc has it always been success unlimited? No there's been sh.it times under the different regimes, it's just football is changing so much there's no long line of people who want to take over gtfc as it's basically a money pit . You've either got to be stupidly rich like matey at Bournemouth to use your example or be happy to blow your not so massive fortune. Gtfc has to be run like a business or it'll go bust . Forgot stupid dreams of getting to the prem cos it's not going to happen . If someone comes along with enough ££ to buy out Fenty then ok , it's probably time for a change but I'm not holding my breath they appear any time soon

Yes there have been periods in the 50 years I have followed Town when we have had our downs,but this decline appears to be institutional and would not appear to be resolvable anytime soon under the present regime.
Look at Sat attendance take away Crewe fans it was about 3,800  take away season ticket holders of say 3000,that means only approx 800 casual supporters attended,this club is backed by a loyal core of 3,300 and is failing to draw in the uncommitted supporters on a massive scale.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
TownSNAFU5
September 8, 2017, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,831
Gold Stars: 42
If you buy a season ticket you reasonably expect to see at least some decent attractive football and home wins.  I was not talking about any possible financial return. Football is a drain for your money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
Maringer
September 8, 2017, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,381
Gold Stars: 184
I wasn't intending to open have a go at you, SNAFU. Just making my points in my first comment in the thread and I've got a bee in my bonnet about the word 'investment' when it comes to football clubs.

The Glazers and numerous dodgy businessmen at smaller clubs (who are generally after the valuable land in on which the ground is situated - not a problem with GTFC!) get involved with the expectation of a return on their spending. Nobody else should.

I stick to my point that good football and results are more of a hope than an expectation - evidence shows that it should be the case as fans of pretty much every club have had to endure some real dross over the years! Nobody deliberately fails, but plenty of people in football manage it all the same!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
friskneymariner
September 8, 2017, 9:40pm

Champagne Drinker
Its not an investment, it is a covenant between the club and its fans ;  you give your money for your season ticket and we provide you with entertainment,deviate from this and the club suffers.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
grimsby pete
September 8, 2017, 9:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I do not know how anybody can turn their back on supporting the mariners ,

I have been supporting them nearly 63 years and could never stop,

I can not get to many games recently due to family matters and my health,

So maybe that's the trick,

Don't go to so many games but keep the love,

You never know things might pick up after so many years going the other way,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
friskneymariner
September 8, 2017, 9:54pm

Champagne Drinker
Elton John famously said that he made a small fortune out of being Chairman of Watford,trouble was he stated out with a large fortune.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gimps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.