Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 229 Guests

Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

This thread currently has 10,239 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
April 30, 2017, 10:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
There have been a couple of previous threads with fans compiling lists of players to be retained for next season. I think mine was by far the shortest and I’m sticking with that list. Slade has got a massive job to do in the summer to transform us into a promotion winning squad, one that finishes in the top three or not only gets into the play-offs but emerges the winner.

We’re lucky in a way that loan players are going back to their parent clubs, veterans are heading for retirement and other players are out of contract. It does leave us with two or three who will be contracted that have to be offloaded, but then that’s down to Slade’s man management skills to persuade these players that they won’t be getting any game time. This does scare players into getting their agent to find them a new club at this level.

In a perfect world that would leave us with some really good young talent to work with, Osborne, Mills, S. Jones, Asante, Bolarinwa, Browne, Rose along with Clement who has had little support from the players around him. Hopefully we can persuade Danny Andrew to stay and we inquire about Vose and Dyson, but that’s where it ends for me as a starting point to build a promotion chasing squad from what we’ve got.

Like I said that’s a perfect world scenario. We’re never going to be in that position due to budget constraints and maybe the club’s appetite to accept that its overall acquisitions over the past year have been enough to secure League status for another season but nowhere near the quality needed for a strong promotion push next season. God knows where we could have been without Omar’s goals this season.

Maybe it’s too much to ask second season. Maybe the best we can hope for is a proper flirt with the play offs next season with just a few changes, but I hope for us fans that we aim for higher than that. It will be down to Slade’s ability as a manager of a football club. It can be done but is there the will to do so?

I’ve got problems in my head with areas in the team where others don’t think there needs to be changes. We obviously need to replace Omar somehow, we need wide players and central midfield certainly needs looking at but it is central defence and the keeper that also needs a serious overhaul to take us to the next level. Macca, a thirty six year old, a slow whole hearted player and Boyce? Not the starting point for a promotion winning side and one addition won’t make the difference needed.

We can look at this season by thinking if only we could have won a couple of more games. I actually think we’ve scrapped away to get more points than our football has deserved. When you think about it, we’ve only played really well in about half a dozen games out of forty six The consistency hasn’t been there and that’s been down to a lack of ability, pace and physicality in the squad more so than who has been managing them.

I’d like us to have a really good clear out in the summer, a proper refresh. We should do with a new manager and I hope he will be strong and adept enough to do it. That’s what he’s paid for. I think we’ll eventually get a halfway house and we’ll have a better season with a little less frustrations than this but without radical decisions being made we could come up short again. And maybe that will be sufficient for now.

It’s coming to that time of the season when fans are going to put those retained lists together and I hope this season when they do, they will keep in mind that CDAJATL gets you mid-table, no more, no less.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
April 30, 2017, 10:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I'm yet to be convinced we have the right manager, never mind players. Agree with your assessment though that the squad needs a massive overhaul. Too many just not up to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 66
TheRealJohnLewis
April 30, 2017, 10:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
After watching the Cheltenham and Barnet matches, Slade has got a lot to prove that he is the right man for the job and that he can get players to play for him.  All i've seen so far is a lack of a plan an a lack of effort.

I hope i'm wrong but I predict a lower finish next year than this.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 66
Cloudy
April 30, 2017, 10:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I too think there will be significant changes over the summer. Need more athleticism and pace. Need to be able to get about the pitch better and get some genuine pace ( not just out wide).

Wouldn't be shocked to find many of those under contract are told they can go if that can get fixed up.

Mills, Andrew, Osbourne and Jones as a base.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 66
dapperz fun pub
April 30, 2017, 10:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
After watching the Cheltenham and Barnet matches, Slade has got a lot to prove that he is the right man for the job and that he can get players to play for him.  All i've seen so far is a lack of a plan an a lack of effort.

I think a plan is the least we can expect from slade, like him or not he knows the game will have good contacts so no real reason why we will finish lower than this season imo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 11:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
In principle I agree with what Bigdog is saying but I do think that there is so much to do that realistically if we made the play offs next season it would be an achievement rather than a minimum expectation.

Purely my view but look at yesterdays starting line up

Macca - We need better and proper cover if we are serious
Davis - Past his best
Andrew - Might stay & would be 1st choice
Shaun - Great lad, looking at the 1st goal yesterday & @ Cheltenham he has a to improve a bit.
Collins - See above re Andrew but with a pacey partner
Clements - Needs an energetic terrier with him to buy him space & time, McAllister?
Dis - Might be pushed out if we cant move on some 2 year dead wood.
Comley - Thanks & good luck, in the right side/club he should be decent though
Osborne - Play maker but needs to be more central IMHO
Jones - Despite a good start is not a striker and needs to go back into attacking mid field
Vernon - A decent option against sides where we need a hold up/link man.

And the subs.....

Bolarnwa - I would loan him out for the first half of the season so he can work on his end product
Vose - Would like him to be playing each week in a side with Osborne, can't see it though TBH
Boyce - Great attitude, squad player
Dyson - Have we room for a developing player if we want a proper tilt? Maybe maybe not.
Jones D - Who knows, he hasn't played enough
McAllister - Good background and reputation, can we get him fit for 30 odd games?
Youssef - See point re Jones    

When you look at the masses that where bot involved yesterday how many are 1st choice certs or proven at this level enough to contribute to a promotion? You can debate that till the cows come home.

Then.............(sharp intake of breath) you have to move out a couple at least and in reality add decent proven quality in a number of positions.

So I think that in reality next season could turn out to be another work in progress, hopefully one that sees a happy camp playing some decent football and improving month on month, which just might lead to an exciting last few games I hope so as dead rubbas are really frustrating.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 66
Ipswin
April 30, 2017, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Saw the title of this thread and thought he was going to Lincoln

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 66
Grantley
April 30, 2017, 11:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Calling Shaun Pearson a slow, whole-hearted player is ridiculously harsh.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 66
ginnywings
April 30, 2017, 11:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
I've got no expectations for next season. Had too many seasons of disappointment to get enthused and what will be will be. We have just spent 10 years going backwards and one season forwards to be exactly where we were when Slade first came here all those years ago. Just hope he has more tricks up his sleeve this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 66
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 30, 2017, 11:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Slade was on record this week about his team selections. His intention was to see as many squad players as possible in first team scenarios. Obviously the side he put out yesterday was not what he would call his best XI as there were also injury issues and illness in the case of Pearson. He will know as well as you or I the big weaknesses of the squad, hence the trialist the other day. There is no "plan" in those situations. You just put players in positions and tell them to play a simple formation. Then you judge them on that. You can't judge the judge after 4 games with a weirdly unbalanced squad he only met less than a month ago.

I was keen on MB's positivity but one of his faults was constant changes week by week over a long period that clearly unsettled the squad. It often looked like experimentation for its own sake.

This isn't the case with RS. There is a sensible point to his changes and he made that public in the GT the other day. He will have learned a lot over the last 4 games. We need to see what his summer wheeling and dealing brings and how his side performs in the first 10/12 games before making judgments about motivation, tactics or anything else really.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 66
GrimRob
April 30, 2017, 11:43am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Considering we've been through three managers it's been a respectable finish but the size and balance of the squad is a real concern, not least because two managers with no experience at this level have thrown together lots of players together in a very short of time - PH because he had to and MB because he wanted to. We've never resembled a team, as opposed to a group of individuals, for much of the season. Slade has the experience to take what we have and transform it into a coherent unit. It's going to be a very tough challenge and realistically may take a full season to fully accomplish.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 12:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

Who called him that ?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
MuddyWaters
April 30, 2017, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236

FFS - he's come in 5 games from the end of a season where we've had two squads and three managers with absolutely no chance of signing his own players. He's now got 10 days to decide which of Hurst's and Bignot's squad he wants to keep as well as maybe having to ask the board to pay off some players who are still under contract..
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 66
mariner91
April 30, 2017, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
If it were me with this squad:

McKeown: We need a new keeper because he's cost us too many points and it all seems to have soured for him at the club. If he's willing to stay as back up I'd keep him but if not, thank him for his great work in the past and wish him all the best.
Mills: Young, will keep improving, definite keep.
Davies: Been a liability, in no circumstances keep him on.
Gowling: Can't quite hack L2 so we thank him and wish him all the best.
Boyce: 2 year contract and if he's cheap keep him as fourth choice.
Andrew: Try and keep hold of him, far too good for this level.
Dan Jones: Barely seen him, probably for a reason, Get rid.
Bolarinwa: Very raw and little end product but probably cheap and at least gives us some pace and power. Keep.
Chambers: Not good enough for a side with genuine promotion aspirations. Thanks and goodbye.
Rhys Browne: Young, probably cheap, give him a chance to see what he can do.
McAllister: No idea, barely seen him.
Disley: With a heavy heart, he is getting too old. Get him a great send off against Plymouth and thank him for being a legend.
Clements: Keep
Osborne: Keep
Comley: Not good enough on the ball, thanks and goodbye.
Berrett: Probably not that cheap cause we paid a fee for him. See if he could find another club.
Summerfield: Not good enough for promotion chasing side.
Vose: Good on the ball but not as effective as some people think. The only way you'd get the best out of him is to build a team around him and he's not good enough in my opinion to warrant that.
Maxwell: Pointless loan signing.
Gunning: If he's the best we could do for defensive midfield then we're in big trouble. Get rid.
Sam Jones: Keep obviously.
Yussuf: Started brightly then barely seen him under either RS or MB. Must be a reason for this? Maybe keep if he's cheap because he can cover wide and up front but probably bin.
Dyson: Decent player, works hard but we'd need better as our first choice.
Vernon: Decent hold up, okay back up player for certain game situations.
Asante: I think could come good if we got him fit. I don't know if he'll ever be fit though. Keep as fourth choice in the hope he gets fit.

The two that I really can't make my mind up is Pearson and Collins. Pearson is a legend, always puts a shift in and is a competent defender but he isn't quite as good as someone like Rob Jones and I think you need a really, really good centre back to get promoted. Collins is classy and made a big difference when he came in but I think he's gone backwards a bit. That's a big concern because he'll be 37 by the time the new season comes around and we've seen how quickly a players legs can go (Monkhouse and Davies being two recent examples) and how quickly they can deteriorate. I would be concerned that this might happen with Collins in the next season due to the fact that I don't think he's been quite as good as when he first came and perhaps it's time starting to creep up on him. So on that basis I'd probably plump for Pearson who is more likely to improve than deteriorate. However, we desperately need an athletic and mobile centre back next to him and if we could get two like that then all the better. This would make Shaun back up but he's proven before that he tries to improve himself in this situation and is the consummate professional.

Going forward that would leave me with: Mills, Pearson, Boyce, Andrew, Osborne, Clements, Sam Jones, Asante, Bolarinwa, Browne, Vernon with Yussuf possibly if he's on low wages.

We need:
A commanding and good goalkeeper.
Two good, mobile centre backs.
Cover for full backs or maybe a RB and use Mills as cover.
A mobile centre mid who can break up play but also can play a bit so we keep possession.
A couple of quick, powerful wide players.
A replacement for Omar and possibly another good striker.

A minimum of 8 signings, possibly 10 and with the players I'd retain we'd have a squad of about 20/21 so supplement it with some of the youngsters. Big job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
Grantley
April 30, 2017, 1:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Who called him that ?

The OP.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 30, 2017, 1:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
My views are not a millions miles from the OP and Ginny. The optimist in me says, we've got a competitive budget, did OK despite all the disruption in management and loss of Bogle. The pessimist says, look at the imbalances in the squad, look at the gaps, look at the lack of character.

Big job for Slade indeed.

And although his press conferences have been reassuring - nicely pitched between the dour Hurst and the hyperactive Bignot - he gives me a sense that he might not be here that long. His heart might not be in it. Sure he'll do a professional job. It's what he does. But .......I can't quite put my finger on it

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 66
MuddyWaters
April 30, 2017, 3:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
My views are not a millions miles from the OP and Ginny. The optimist in me says, we've got a competitive budget, did OK despite all the disruption in management and loss of Bogle. The pessimist says, look at the imbalances in the squad, look at the gaps, look at the lack of character.

And although his press conferences have been reassuring - nicely pitched between the dour Hurst and the hyperactive Bignot - he gives me a sense that he might not be here that long. His heart might not be in it. Sure he'll do a professional job. It's what he does. But .......I can't quite put my finger on it

Put your finger on what? I don't understand what people are expecting him to have achieved with a squad that's other peoples' players in a three week period. I think Slade's had enough jobs at higher levels to know that there are imbalances in the squad. He says he's got a job to do, why don't we let him get on with it and take a view when we start again in August.

It's been a weird old season but ultimately, we're comfortably secure in League 2 for another season in spite of everything that's happened.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 30, 2017, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Put your finger on what? I don't understand what people are expecting him to have achieved with a squad that's other peoples' players in a three week period. I think Slade's had enough jobs at higher levels to know that there are imbalances in the squad. He says he's got a job to do, why don't we let him get on with it and take a view when we start again in August.

It's been a weird old season but ultimately, we're comfortably secure in League 2 for another season in spite of everything that's happened.

Exactly. I'm not sure what some folks expected. We have a squad with no wingers and several obvious weaknesses that have been pointed out on this forum several times before MB departed. Did they expect Slade to suddenly convert the squad into worldbeaters, make the play offs and miraculously get into L1 for August?

In these few games he has had a look at the squad. He will have a reasonable budget next year, he will let several players go and sign some others. Come August we will see Slade's team and Slade's tactics. Then is the time to start coming out with opinions. It might be a big job but I suspect we will see a much fitter, tougher minded, more resilient and better organised side next season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 30, 2017, 4:01pm
Meths Drinker
Ol Codger and RRFC calm down . I'm not expecting Slade to have achieved anything yet. I said I had a feeling that he won't be with us for long. I don't know why it's just a gut feeling based on his demeanour.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
livosnose
April 30, 2017, 4:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15

Hate to say this but I agree. Think Slade might feel he is better than league 2

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
oldun
April 30, 2017, 4:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Is Slade up for the challenge?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
golfer
April 30, 2017, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 116
I can see where you are coming from mariner91 and agree on most of what you say,but I just want to add why is Slade still persevering with Maxwell,Comley,and Dyson. He must have seen enough already to know that they are not of the standard required so why not send them back now instead of waiting until after Plymouth. Surely he is not going to play them again when we have alternatives that will be here next season and who want the experience instead of sat twiddling their thumbs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
Bigdog
April 30, 2017, 5:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Grantley

I'm probably going to be really unpopular on here with these comments.

Taking account that my OP was based on being in a perfect world and we were looking to build a promotion winning side, I don't think SP would be in an ideal side week in week out to get out of this division. Based purely on performances I don't think there's been too much between SP, DC and JG this season, yet the general consensus is that JG is not League Two standard yet SP can do no wrong and deserves a two year contract. All three have had games good, bad and indifferent, all commit too many fouls, all ball watch, all drop too deep, all not particularly that good on the ball and are all not quick enough. I just don't think any of them are the standard of a promotion winning side, yet due to age being on his side I would maybe keep SP as a back up.

SP is a great role model and a great ambassador for GTFC, but looking through rose-tinted specs won't get us promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Taking account that my OP was based on being in a perfect world and we were looking to build a promotion winning side, I don't think SP would be in an ideal side week in week out to get out of this division. Based purely on performances I don't think there's been too much between SP, DC and JG this season, yet the general consensus is that JG is not League Two standard yet SP can do no wrong and deserves a two year contract. All three have had games good, bad and indifferent, all commit too many fouls, all ball watch, all drop too deep, all not particularly that good on the ball and are all not quick enough. I just don't think any of them are the standard of a promotion winning side, yet due to age being on his side I would maybe keep SP as a back up.

SP is a great role model and a great ambassador for GTFC, but looking through rose-tinted specs won't get us promotion.

To be honest he is a hero to us and quite right too as he has been a good player and servant for the club on and off the pitch and if reports have been accurate has turned down better terms elsewhere to stay at GTFC. He has progressed well but still at times struggles to win high balls launched into our box especially at the near post Cheltenham a couple of weeks ago was a good example. I don't think he's physically that slow but maybe sometimes a bit slow to read a situation, experience will change that though.

Funnily enough I thought his all round footballing game was progressing really well under MB. If I was Russ I would certainly offer him a decent deal but make him 1 of 3  playing for 2 first team places with a utility defender as back up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
golfer
April 30, 2017, 5:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Think it's time the pub shut
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
Youngy
April 30, 2017, 7:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,674

In the two games I saw the opposite, thought we played with far more energy and organisation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
Youngy
April 30, 2017, 7:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,674
Quoted from Bigdog

Firstly I love Shaun, wonderful bloke and a great servant.....but I half agree with you. I think it's easy to forget he wasn't even a first choice centre back in a Conference team last season. To me he seems to have 2 or 3 good games but then has 1 complete nightmare performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
moosey_club
April 30, 2017, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Before we completely obliterate the players/squad should the question be established.........is it the players/squad that have not been good enough or the managers (RS excluded) ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
GrimRob
April 30, 2017, 8:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club
Before we completely obliterate the players/squad should the question be established.........is it the players/squad that have not been good enough or the managers (RS excluded) ?

The results under the 3 managers have all followed a similar pattern, so I would suggest that the finger of blame should be pointed at the players, plus the two managers who selected them in the first place. Regardless of how our budget compares to the other teams, I think it's fair to say that the money we have spent could have been done so more optimally than it was done.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 66
golfer
April 30, 2017, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
To be honest I would say half the players on Towns books are" not bad to good" the other half are "absolute shite"so obviously the praise or blame is down to the 2 managers before Slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
headingly_mariner
April 30, 2017, 9:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
We haven't finished a million miles away from the play offs and I think without Bignot's pissing about we'd have been a top 7 side.

I'm sure Slade will sort out our lack of width. I imagine we will be fit, organised and dedicated. Slade has already targeted the top 7 and I think he'll probably deliver it. I hope the board back him sufficiently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 30, 2017, 9:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,761
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from headingly_mariner
We haven't finished a million miles away from the play offs and I think without Bignot's pissing about we'd have been a top 7 side.

I'm sure Slade will sort out our lack of width. I imagine we will be fit, organised and dedicated. Slade has already targeted the top 7 and I think he'll probably deliver it. I hope the board back him sufficiently.

I tend to agree but very puzzled why RS picked Comley yesterday to play out wide a selection that had people on here advocating that MB was clueless a few weeks back !!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
golfer
April 30, 2017, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I tend to agree but very puzzled why RS picked Comley yesterday to play out wide a selection that had people on here advocating that MB was clueless a few weeks back !!!!

I am puzzled why he was picked ahead of Bolly or even in the side when there isn't a cat in hells chance that he'll be here next  season--well I hope not--there will be far better players available and hope Slade has set his sights already. The tree needs a lot of pruning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
mimma
April 30, 2017, 10:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Bignot brought in players he was familiar with, from non league, and the midlands. Some were not up to the jump to league football. If they get a full pre-season they might be fit enough and improve, or might not.

Slade and Wilko have come from the championship, and have a strong knowledge of championship players. I bet they will be studying the released players lists to see who they might be able to persuade to come here, and if so, these players will be of a better quality than some of the non-league players that MB brought in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
lowerfindus
April 30, 2017, 10:26pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
I think there are some way over the top ideas here. The squad will be dictated by the finance available and those that think we are going to pay off 3, 4 or 5 players  or more are deluded.

PH kept to budget last summer (which IMO aided the departure of certain players) and those brought in will be on wages that are not crazy for our level.

I don't expect any of the loan players to stay, especially Vose. He just wouldn't fit into a Sladeball side.

I'd expect RS to work with the majority of what he has got with midfield being his biggest problem.

Summerfield,  Browne, Berrett, Mccallister, Clements, Bolawinra, Osborne with a decent winger and midfield enforcer brought in as a minimum is probably not such a bad collection providing all are fit and available.

Infact most of the above have had good games in which when the midfield has worked well we have beaten some top teams. Pre season under Slade and a defined game plan (didn't like Hurst game plan and unfortunately Biggies got lost between the Humber Royal and the BP) may even allow them to be more consistent.

A well drilled midfield will help the defence out and the  attack. Besides a new goal keeper (please, please, please) and maybe Davies out, Andrew to go if we can't persuade him to stay I wouldn't expect any major shake up. Likewise up front maybe some pace in to play off Vernon but not major changes.

Evolution not revolution.

We learnt last time in this division that bringing players in then paying them off every other month is not a good way of doing business.

UTM

#sortitslade

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
Mariner_09
April 30, 2017, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
He doesn't have to sign an absolute shed load of players, he just needs to sign 3 or 4 top quality players. A goalkeeper, a left sided winger, a genuine goal scorer and an athletic centre half. He then needs decent cover at full back, holding midfield and out wide Probably max 7 players needed. The squad needs trimming. For me McKeown, Davies, Gowling, Gunning, D. Jones, Yussuf, Comley, Maxwell, Summerfield, Chambers and Vose can all go in some capacity.

Vose has incredible ability but is just too slow and languid to make an impact on games regularly. Sadly I think Dis has to be released as well, I am so happy that I am not the man who has to tell him that. My favourite Town player ever.

That leaves us with Mills, Boyce, Clements, Osborne, McAllister, Berrett, Bolarinwa, Browne, Asante, Vernon, Jones and with a bit of luck Andrew, Pearson and Collins. I'd also try and sign Dyson, I can see the potential and I think he could be a really good player. So hopefully that leaves us with 15 players and then 7 to sign (as I mentioned earlier.) With the players released upgraded and the non league players having got to grips with league football I think we could be really competitive!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 10:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lowerfindus
I think there are some way over the top ideas here. The squad will be dictated by the finance available and those that think we are going to pay off 3, 4 or 5 players  or more are deluded.

PH kept to budget last summer (which IMO aided the departure of certain players) and those brought in will be on wages that are not crazy for our level.

I don't expect any of the loan players to stay, especially Vose. He just wouldn't fit into a Sladeball side.

I'd expect RS to work with the majority of what he has got with midfield being his biggest problem.

Summerfield,  Browne, Berrett, Mccallister, Clements, Bolawinra, Osborne with a decent winger and midfield enforcer brought in as a minimum is probably not such a bad collection providing all are fit and available.

Infact most of the above have had good games in which when the midfield has worked well we have beaten some top teams. Pre season under Slade and a defined game plan (didn't like Hurst game plan and unfortunately Biggies got lost between the Humber Royal and the BP) may even allow them to be more consistent.

A well drilled midfield will help the defence out and the  attack. Besides a new goal keeper (please, please, please) and maybe Davies out, Andrew to go if we can't persuade him to stay I wouldn't expect any major shake up. Likewise up front maybe some pace in to play off Vernon but not major changes.

Evolution not revolution.

We learnt last time in this division that bringing players in then paying them off every other month is not a good way of doing business.

UTM

#sortitslade

Agree with this, maybe we should get season tickets on sale pretty quickly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
lowerfindus
April 30, 2017, 11:19pm

Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
At the Fans Forum JF said they wait for the right moment (or words to that effect) Herts. I can't say I agree with that.

Season ticket holders should be getting their renewal packs within a month or more of the season left. They in general are not likely to be swayed by a last minute run of form or a signing "that will make the hairs on your neck stand up". Having witnessed a full season they have more likely to have come to a conclusion yes or no regards renewal way before depending on what they have got out of the season.

When you listen to Radio Hull all the other local sporting teams start early with their sale's and we always lag behind. I wonder which one of us is in the wrong??

The non chairman will tell us what to think.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
Marinerz93
April 30, 2017, 11:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Slade has a lot of work to do bringing in the right players and club staff if the club intentions are real of getting promotion, the truth will be in the budget won't it Mr Fenty.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
moosey_club
April 30, 2017, 11:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree with this, maybe we should get season tickets on sale pretty quickly.

Hahahahaha...thats a cracker

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
MuddyWaters
May 1, 2017, 8:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
Slade has a lot of work to do bringing in the right players and club staff if the club intentions are real of getting promotion, the truth will be in the budget won't it Mr Fenty.

Have we ever had the 'hair on the back of your neck standing up' signings that were promised?

Agree with the 7 or 8 signings post - but they have to improve on what we have, for example, a better keeper, a better centre back than Boyce/Pearson, more pace, preferably two goalscorers.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
Davec
May 1, 2017, 8:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
We always lag behind on season tickets, I've said for the last few seasons that season tickets should be on sale the previous season, it's alright people saying "how can we sell season tickets in March when we don't know for certain what league we'll be in?" Well that has never stopped Bristol Rovers

Not enough creativity is shown regarding season tickets, not enough promotions or schemes.

I'm still waiting for the announcement regarding a season ticket which suits shift workers, I thought the Trust said this will be very soon and that was before Christmas, will we see it in place for next season? Personally I don't think so, does the Trust care to comment on this considering they said it's all in hand with them???? I'm not a shift worker but I know many people are so that makes a normal season ticket not worth it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
MuddyWaters
May 1, 2017, 8:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec
We always lag behind on season tickets, I've said for the last few seasons that season tickets should be on sale the previous season, it's alright people saying "how can we sell season tickets in March when we don't know for certain what league we'll be in?" Well that has never stopped Bristol Rovers

Not enough creativity is shown regarding season tickets, not enough promotions or schemes.

I'm still waiting for the announcement regarding a season ticket which suits shift workers, I thought the Trust said this will be very soon and that was before Christmas, will we see it in place for next season? Personally I don't think so, does the Trust care to comment on this considering they said it's all in hand with them???? I'm not a shift worker but I know many people are so that makes a normal season ticket not worth it.

And those that are are badly thought through. To qualify for the disability discount, you've got to sit in the Main Stand. You don't have to have a physical disability to be disabled, there are many Town fans who have 'silent' disabilities who qualify for the discount, why shouldn't the offer enable them to sit where they want?
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
golfer
May 1, 2017, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
What is the point of having any other directors=are they just for holidays or sick leave
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
Davec
May 1, 2017, 9:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And those that are are badly thought through. To qualify for the disability discount, you've got to sit in the Main Stand. You don't have to have a physical disability to be disabled, there are many Town fans who have 'silent' disabilities who qualify for the discount, why shouldn't the offer enable them to sit where they want?

I totally see your point

I know somebody who has autism, he works 37 hours a week, he can walk unaided and he's a season ticket holder, he also claims PIP (replaced DLA) he also has a disabled bus pass and disabled rail card but when he went into the ticket office to see if he counts as disabled, he took all his evidence documents in and they said to him "Disabled means if you can't walk or struggle to walk, you can walk fine so you aren't disabled"

So he's considered disabled by the government and the council and Network Rail but in the clubs eyes he isn't disabled...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
MuddyWaters
May 1, 2017, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec

I totally see your point

I know somebody who has autism, he works 37 hours a week, he can walk unaided and he's a season ticket holder, he also claims PIP (replaced DLA) he also has a disabled bus pass and disabled rail card but when he went into the ticket office to see if he counts as disabled, he took all his evidence documents in and they said to him "Disabled means if you can't walk or struggle to walk, you can walk fine so you aren't disabled"

So he's considered disabled by the government and the council and Network Rail but in the clubs eyes he isn't disabled...

If that's true (not saying you made it up by the way), then the club are in breach of the European court of Human Rights. My son is autistic and couldn't go and get a Season Ticket on his own, if the club treated him with the same contempt, I would take them to court.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
Meza
May 1, 2017, 10:15am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
My sons Autistic and we get a few looks of disgust when we jump the queue at light water valley theme park.  We did however manage to get on the plane first via speedy boarding even though we didn't pay for it.

Its taken me a bit to adjust as a parent.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 10:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Surely if you want a season ticket, you will buy one and i don't see why it makes a difference when they go on sale?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
HertsGTFC
May 1, 2017, 11:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Surely if you want a season ticket, you will buy one and i don't see why it makes a difference when they go on sale?

Having the revenue in the bank as early as possible boosts your balance sheet and helps with cash flow which gives you leverage with the bank and possibly  some more funds earlier in the window.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
LH
May 1, 2017, 11:11am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,566
Gold Stars: 174
Yeah you will but there will be people who bought one last season for the first time in however long who will be mulling over whether to bother this year.

If we want to retain the inflated season ticket sales long term then there has to be attractive offers or incentives for the floating STHs.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 11:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from LH
Yeah you will but there will be people who bought one last season for the first time in however long who will be mulling over whether to bother this year.

If we want to retain the inflated season ticket sales long term then there has to be attractive offers or incentives for the floating STHs.

I'd put myself in that category but the timing of the release won't make a difference to me. Neither will any promotion or incentives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
barrattstandman
May 1, 2017, 12:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +482
Gold Stars: 17
It doesn't matter who we sign ,who we release or what offers there are who is the manager the thought should never enter your head if you are a Town fan. It amazes me that some people , even those I respected as a true fan even contemplate not buying one. Then again I've only been going since 1951 !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
ginnywings
May 1, 2017, 12:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
So the only "true fans" are those that buy season tickets?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
MarinersOnTheUp
May 1, 2017, 12:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Quoted from barrattstandman
It doesn't matter who we sign ,who we release or what offers there are who is the manager the thought should never enter your head if you are a Town fan. It amazes me that some people , even those I respected as a true fan even contemplate not buying one. Then again I've only been going since 1951 !

Am I not a true town fan then? I won't be renewing my season ticket because my new job means I'll be working some Saturdays - therefore it wouldn't be worth getting a season ticket when it would work out cheaper over the course of the season to just pay when I can attend. I will however still attend whenever possible.

If you're going to say that makes me less of a fan than you then I find that insulting.

As for 'I've been going since 1951' I'm sorry but don't pull that one out - it's not relevant. I started going to games in 2006, that doesn't make me any less of a fan because I've only been going for 11 years compared to your 68.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
Marinerz93
May 1, 2017, 5:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Have we ever had the 'hair on the back of your neck standing up' signings that were promised?

Agree with the 7 or 8 signings post - but they have to improve on what we have, for example, a better keeper, a better centre back than Boyce/Pearson, more pace, preferably two goalscorers.

No we got bang average players because we couldn't compete with some of the non league teams regarding budget as Fenty stated back in non league. Which leads me to believe that the board will rely on Slade getting more out of players who are generally inconsistent to be more consistent than giving Slade a competitive war chest, I bet next seasons budget will be more like a foot locker as usual.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2017, 5:59pm
Meths Drinker
Presumably putting them on sale early mens you get an earlier indication of your income and can plan budget earlier. And know who you can sign.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
HertsGTFC
May 1, 2017, 6:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

No we got bang average players because we couldn't compete with some of the non league teams regarding budget as Fenty stated back in non league. Which leads me to believe that the board will rely on Slade getting more out of players who are generally inconsistent to be more consistent than giving Slade a competitive war chest, I bet next seasons budget will be more like a foot locker as usual.

Its a good point, but will we ever really get to know what a manager has to work with? Also will a medium sized 4th division club ever attract what at our level could be termed marquee signings? Not sure to be honest.

As we have struggled to get a net 4,000 at BP in the last few weeks I think basing any playing budget on what we will get through the gates is a risk so RS might not see a massive amount for the Summer window but of we can get the gates up then he may have a bit to play with in Jan.

Oddly enough if we cant shift some of the 2 years deal players they may actually perform a bit better knowing they only have a year left.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
Cloudy
May 1, 2017, 8:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Presumably putting them on sale early mens you get an earlier indication of your income and can plan budget earlier. And know who you can sign.

I'd guess that any early income from season tickets would show in this years accounts ( Year end 31st May).

That income could increase our profit and potentially mean we have a tax bill that the ex Weaver Wroot grey man will advise against??
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2017, 8:25pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

I'd guess that any early income from season tickets would show in this years accounts ( Year end 31st May).

That income could increase our profit and potentially mean we have a tax bill that the ex Weaver Wroot grey man will advise against??

A very good point. But, it's a once only occurrence though and can't you offset profits in one year against losses in a couple of other recent years?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
The Yard Dog
May 2, 2017, 10:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Marinerz93

No we got bang average players because [/b]we couldn't compete with some of the non league teams regarding budget as Fenty stated back in non league[b]. Which leads me to believe that the board will rely on Slade getting more out of players who are generally inconsistent to be more consistent than giving Slade a competitive war chest, I bet next seasons budget will be more like a foot locker as usual.

Just because we are GTFC does not mean that we should had the biggest budget while in the non league, during that period, there were other league clubs  (Luton, Wrexham, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere and Lincoln) trying to achieve the same goal.  Then you have the non league clubs being bank rolled (Crawley, Fleetwood, Forest Green, Eastleigh, Barrow) chasing the dream of league football.  The non-league is the hardest league to gain promotion with only 2 clubs being promoted.

We would have had a competitive budget this season, not the biggest nor the smallest.  We need to re-establish ourselves, which we have achieved this season, job done.

Mr Fenty is like Marmite you either love or hate him, but John is a GTFC fan like us. I like someone said on here the other day, with all the going ons at other clubs (Leyton Orient, Blackpool, Charlton, Blackburn, Cardiff, Coventry, Forest etc) at the moment, you appreciate John a bit more.

Chasing the dream, but at what cost, I know which I prefer.

Looking forward to next season already, why because I have black and white running my through veins.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
moosey_club
May 2, 2017, 12:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I'd put myself in that category but the timing of the release won't make a difference to me. Neither will any promotion or incentives.

But if the buy this season for next season discount was maybe 50 quid...and announcing that next season on the day sales will rise by 1 quid per game...  ??

That way the club get monies in early, allowing a better prepared forecast of income, giving a clearer budget for the manager to work with starting Saturday evening, which may just help capture some early exciting signings...which in turn may boost more sales...which raises talk around the town...

or....
Hi its July...you must be missing football by now and because you have always bought a ticket then buy another one and because you are so loyally blind to the fact we failed to win over half of our games that you are paying up front to watch, it wont bother you that we will charge the same or potentially increase the price.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
ginnywings
May 2, 2017, 1:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from moosey_club

But if the buy this season for next season discount was maybe 50 quid...and announcing that next season on the day sales will rise by 1 quid per game...  ??

That way the club get monies in early, allowing a better prepared forecast of income, giving a clearer budget for the manager to work with starting Saturday evening, which may just help capture some early exciting signings...which in turn may boost more sales...which raises talk around the town...

or....
Hi its July...you must be missing football by now and because you have always bought a ticket then buy another one and because you are so loyally blind to the fact we failed to win over half of our games that you are paying up front to watch, it wont bother you that we will charge the same or potentially increase the price.  

That's a fair assessment but it makes no odds to me personally, though i can see it may do to others. What's better for the club:- me buying a discounted season ticket for say £250, or me paying on the day over the season and the club receiving over £400? I'll go to 90% or more of the games anyway. Maybe the club ought to concentrate on getting things right on the pitch, then the rest will fall into place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
SteffiMariner
May 2, 2017, 4:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Cloudy

If the income relates to the next financial year, then it would be accrued and not count in this years accounts as in essence it's a payment in advance. Or so I am led to believe.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
Cloudy
May 2, 2017, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Just because we are GTFC does not mean that we should had the biggest budget while in the non league, during that period, there were other league clubs  (Luton, Wrexham, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere and Lincoln) trying to achieve the same goal.  Then you have the non league clubs being bank rolled (Crawley, Fleetwood, Forest Green, Eastleigh, Barrow) chasing the dream of league football.  The non-league is the hardest league to gain promotion with only 2 clubs being promoted.

We would have had a competitive budget this season, not the biggest nor the smallest.  We need to re-establish ourselves, which we have achieved this season, job done.

Mr Fenty is like Marmite you either love or hate him, but John is a GTFC fan like us. I like someone said on here the other day, with all the going ons at other cluabs (Leyton Orient, Blackpool, Charlton, Blackburn, Cardiff, Coventry, Forest etc) at the moment, you appreciate John a bit more.

Looking forward to next season already, why because I have black and white running my through veins.

There is that but then you look at Burton, Fleetwood, Southend, Rochdale etc and wonder what might have been. I would never advocate outlandish spending but long term plans and growth targets are part of proper management and leadership
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
Grantley
May 2, 2017, 5:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Fleetwood are a bad example; they have a lot of money.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
MuddyWaters
May 2, 2017, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Mr Fenty is like Marmite you either love or hate him, but John is a GTFC fan like us. I like someone said on here the other day, with all the going ons at other clubs (Leyton Orient, Blackpool, Charlton, Blackburn, Cardiff, Coventry, Forest etc) at the moment, you appreciate John a bit more.

Well, as Marmite makes my gout flare up....
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
Cloudy
May 2, 2017, 5:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grantley
Fleetwood are a bad example; they have a lot of money.

It invested in players AND infrastructure. Now got a very clear development plan taking on youngsters released from the big NW clubs and giving them an opportunity. They spent initially to get them into the league but not buying players now.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.