Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 145 Guests

Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

This thread currently has 10,244 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 30, 2017, 11:43am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Considering we've been through three managers it's been a respectable finish but the size and balance of the squad is a real concern, not least because two managers with no experience at this level have thrown together lots of players together in a very short of time - PH because he had to and MB because he wanted to. We've never resembled a team, as opposed to a group of individuals, for much of the season. Slade has the experience to take what we have and transform it into a coherent unit. It's going to be a very tough challenge and realistically may take a full season to fully accomplish.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 12:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Grantley
Calling Shaun Pearson a slow, whole-hearted player is ridiculously harsh.

Who called him that ?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
MuddyWaters
April 30, 2017, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
After watching the Cheltenham and Barnet matches, Slade has got a lot to prove that he is the right man for the job and that he can get players to play for him.  All i've seen so far is a lack of a plan an a lack of effort.

I hope i'm wrong but I predict a lower finish next year than this.

FFS - he's come in 5 games from the end of a season where we've had two squads and three managers with absolutely no chance of signing his own players. He's now got 10 days to decide which of Hurst's and Bignot's squad he wants to keep as well as maybe having to ask the board to pay off some players who are still under contract..
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 66
mariner91
April 30, 2017, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,725
Gold Stars: 262
If it were me with this squad:

McKeown: We need a new keeper because he's cost us too many points and it all seems to have soured for him at the club. If he's willing to stay as back up I'd keep him but if not, thank him for his great work in the past and wish him all the best.
Mills: Young, will keep improving, definite keep.
Davies: Been a liability, in no circumstances keep him on.
Gowling: Can't quite hack L2 so we thank him and wish him all the best.
Boyce: 2 year contract and if he's cheap keep him as fourth choice.
Andrew: Try and keep hold of him, far too good for this level.
Dan Jones: Barely seen him, probably for a reason, Get rid.
Bolarinwa: Very raw and little end product but probably cheap and at least gives us some pace and power. Keep.
Chambers: Not good enough for a side with genuine promotion aspirations. Thanks and goodbye.
Rhys Browne: Young, probably cheap, give him a chance to see what he can do.
McAllister: No idea, barely seen him.
Disley: With a heavy heart, he is getting too old. Get him a great send off against Plymouth and thank him for being a legend.
Clements: Keep
Osborne: Keep
Comley: Not good enough on the ball, thanks and goodbye.
Berrett: Probably not that cheap cause we paid a fee for him. See if he could find another club.
Summerfield: Not good enough for promotion chasing side.
Vose: Good on the ball but not as effective as some people think. The only way you'd get the best out of him is to build a team around him and he's not good enough in my opinion to warrant that.
Maxwell: Pointless loan signing.
Gunning: If he's the best we could do for defensive midfield then we're in big trouble. Get rid.
Sam Jones: Keep obviously.
Yussuf: Started brightly then barely seen him under either RS or MB. Must be a reason for this? Maybe keep if he's cheap because he can cover wide and up front but probably bin.
Dyson: Decent player, works hard but we'd need better as our first choice.
Vernon: Decent hold up, okay back up player for certain game situations.
Asante: I think could come good if we got him fit. I don't know if he'll ever be fit though. Keep as fourth choice in the hope he gets fit.

The two that I really can't make my mind up is Pearson and Collins. Pearson is a legend, always puts a shift in and is a competent defender but he isn't quite as good as someone like Rob Jones and I think you need a really, really good centre back to get promoted. Collins is classy and made a big difference when he came in but I think he's gone backwards a bit. That's a big concern because he'll be 37 by the time the new season comes around and we've seen how quickly a players legs can go (Monkhouse and Davies being two recent examples) and how quickly they can deteriorate. I would be concerned that this might happen with Collins in the next season due to the fact that I don't think he's been quite as good as when he first came and perhaps it's time starting to creep up on him. So on that basis I'd probably plump for Pearson who is more likely to improve than deteriorate. However, we desperately need an athletic and mobile centre back next to him and if we could get two like that then all the better. This would make Shaun back up but he's proven before that he tries to improve himself in this situation and is the consummate professional.

Going forward that would leave me with: Mills, Pearson, Boyce, Andrew, Osborne, Clements, Sam Jones, Asante, Bolarinwa, Browne, Vernon with Yussuf possibly if he's on low wages.

We need:
A commanding and good goalkeeper.
Two good, mobile centre backs.
Cover for full backs or maybe a RB and use Mills as cover.
A mobile centre mid who can break up play but also can play a bit so we keep possession.
A couple of quick, powerful wide players.
A replacement for Omar and possibly another good striker.

A minimum of 8 signings, possibly 10 and with the players I'd retain we'd have a squad of about 20/21 so supplement it with some of the youngsters. Big job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
Grantley
April 30, 2017, 1:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Who called him that ?

The OP.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 30, 2017, 1:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
My views are not a millions miles from the OP and Ginny. The optimist in me says, we've got a competitive budget, did OK despite all the disruption in management and loss of Bogle. The pessimist says, look at the imbalances in the squad, look at the gaps, look at the lack of character.

Big job for Slade indeed.

And although his press conferences have been reassuring - nicely pitched between the dour Hurst and the hyperactive Bignot - he gives me a sense that he might not be here that long. His heart might not be in it. Sure he'll do a professional job. It's what he does. But .......I can't quite put my finger on it

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 66
MuddyWaters
April 30, 2017, 3:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner
My views are not a millions miles from the OP and Ginny. The optimist in me says, we've got a competitive budget, did OK despite all the disruption in management and loss of Bogle. The pessimist says, look at the imbalances in the squad, look at the gaps, look at the lack of character.

And although his press conferences have been reassuring - nicely pitched between the dour Hurst and the hyperactive Bignot - he gives me a sense that he might not be here that long. His heart might not be in it. Sure he'll do a professional job. It's what he does. But .......I can't quite put my finger on it

Put your finger on what? I don't understand what people are expecting him to have achieved with a squad that's other peoples' players in a three week period. I think Slade's had enough jobs at higher levels to know that there are imbalances in the squad. He says he's got a job to do, why don't we let him get on with it and take a view when we start again in August.

It's been a weird old season but ultimately, we're comfortably secure in League 2 for another season in spite of everything that's happened.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 30, 2017, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Put your finger on what? I don't understand what people are expecting him to have achieved with a squad that's other peoples' players in a three week period. I think Slade's had enough jobs at higher levels to know that there are imbalances in the squad. He says he's got a job to do, why don't we let him get on with it and take a view when we start again in August.

It's been a weird old season but ultimately, we're comfortably secure in League 2 for another season in spite of everything that's happened.

Exactly. I'm not sure what some folks expected. We have a squad with no wingers and several obvious weaknesses that have been pointed out on this forum several times before MB departed. Did they expect Slade to suddenly convert the squad into worldbeaters, make the play offs and miraculously get into L1 for August?

In these few games he has had a look at the squad. He will have a reasonable budget next year, he will let several players go and sign some others. Come August we will see Slade's team and Slade's tactics. Then is the time to start coming out with opinions. It might be a big job but I suspect we will see a much fitter, tougher minded, more resilient and better organised side next season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
KingstonMariner
April 30, 2017, 4:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Ol Codger and RRFC calm down . I'm not expecting Slade to have achieved anything yet. I said I had a feeling that he won't be with us for long. I don't know why it's just a gut feeling based on his demeanour.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
livosnose
April 30, 2017, 4:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Hate to say this but I agree. Think Slade might feel he is better than league 2

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.