Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 256 Guests

Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

This thread currently has 10,238 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
April 30, 2017, 9:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
We haven't finished a million miles away from the play offs and I think without Bignot's pissing about we'd have been a top 7 side.

I'm sure Slade will sort out our lack of width. I imagine we will be fit, organised and dedicated. Slade has already targeted the top 7 and I think he'll probably deliver it. I hope the board back him sufficiently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 30, 2017, 9:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,760
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from headingly_mariner
We haven't finished a million miles away from the play offs and I think without Bignot's pissing about we'd have been a top 7 side.

I'm sure Slade will sort out our lack of width. I imagine we will be fit, organised and dedicated. Slade has already targeted the top 7 and I think he'll probably deliver it. I hope the board back him sufficiently.

I tend to agree but very puzzled why RS picked Comley yesterday to play out wide a selection that had people on here advocating that MB was clueless a few weeks back !!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
golfer
April 30, 2017, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,446
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I tend to agree but very puzzled why RS picked Comley yesterday to play out wide a selection that had people on here advocating that MB was clueless a few weeks back !!!!

I am puzzled why he was picked ahead of Bolly or even in the side when there isn't a cat in hells chance that he'll be here next  season--well I hope not--there will be far better players available and hope Slade has set his sights already. The tree needs a lot of pruning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
mimma
April 30, 2017, 10:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Bignot brought in players he was familiar with, from non league, and the midlands. Some were not up to the jump to league football. If they get a full pre-season they might be fit enough and improve, or might not.

Slade and Wilko have come from the championship, and have a strong knowledge of championship players. I bet they will be studying the released players lists to see who they might be able to persuade to come here, and if so, these players will be of a better quality than some of the non-league players that MB brought in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
lowerfindus
April 30, 2017, 10:26pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
I think there are some way over the top ideas here. The squad will be dictated by the finance available and those that think we are going to pay off 3, 4 or 5 players  or more are deluded.

PH kept to budget last summer (which IMO aided the departure of certain players) and those brought in will be on wages that are not crazy for our level.

I don't expect any of the loan players to stay, especially Vose. He just wouldn't fit into a Sladeball side.

I'd expect RS to work with the majority of what he has got with midfield being his biggest problem.

Summerfield,  Browne, Berrett, Mccallister, Clements, Bolawinra, Osborne with a decent winger and midfield enforcer brought in as a minimum is probably not such a bad collection providing all are fit and available.

Infact most of the above have had good games in which when the midfield has worked well we have beaten some top teams. Pre season under Slade and a defined game plan (didn't like Hurst game plan and unfortunately Biggies got lost between the Humber Royal and the BP) may even allow them to be more consistent.

A well drilled midfield will help the defence out and the  attack. Besides a new goal keeper (please, please, please) and maybe Davies out, Andrew to go if we can't persuade him to stay I wouldn't expect any major shake up. Likewise up front maybe some pace in to play off Vernon but not major changes.

Evolution not revolution.

We learnt last time in this division that bringing players in then paying them off every other month is not a good way of doing business.

UTM

#sortitslade

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
Mariner_09
April 30, 2017, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
He doesn't have to sign an absolute shed load of players, he just needs to sign 3 or 4 top quality players. A goalkeeper, a left sided winger, a genuine goal scorer and an athletic centre half. He then needs decent cover at full back, holding midfield and out wide Probably max 7 players needed. The squad needs trimming. For me McKeown, Davies, Gowling, Gunning, D. Jones, Yussuf, Comley, Maxwell, Summerfield, Chambers and Vose can all go in some capacity.

Vose has incredible ability but is just too slow and languid to make an impact on games regularly. Sadly I think Dis has to be released as well, I am so happy that I am not the man who has to tell him that. My favourite Town player ever.

That leaves us with Mills, Boyce, Clements, Osborne, McAllister, Berrett, Bolarinwa, Browne, Asante, Vernon, Jones and with a bit of luck Andrew, Pearson and Collins. I'd also try and sign Dyson, I can see the potential and I think he could be a really good player. So hopefully that leaves us with 15 players and then 7 to sign (as I mentioned earlier.) With the players released upgraded and the non league players having got to grips with league football I think we could be really competitive!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 10:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from lowerfindus
I think there are some way over the top ideas here. The squad will be dictated by the finance available and those that think we are going to pay off 3, 4 or 5 players  or more are deluded.

PH kept to budget last summer (which IMO aided the departure of certain players) and those brought in will be on wages that are not crazy for our level.

I don't expect any of the loan players to stay, especially Vose. He just wouldn't fit into a Sladeball side.

I'd expect RS to work with the majority of what he has got with midfield being his biggest problem.

Summerfield,  Browne, Berrett, Mccallister, Clements, Bolawinra, Osborne with a decent winger and midfield enforcer brought in as a minimum is probably not such a bad collection providing all are fit and available.

Infact most of the above have had good games in which when the midfield has worked well we have beaten some top teams. Pre season under Slade and a defined game plan (didn't like Hurst game plan and unfortunately Biggies got lost between the Humber Royal and the BP) may even allow them to be more consistent.

A well drilled midfield will help the defence out and the  attack. Besides a new goal keeper (please, please, please) and maybe Davies out, Andrew to go if we can't persuade him to stay I wouldn't expect any major shake up. Likewise up front maybe some pace in to play off Vernon but not major changes.

Evolution not revolution.

We learnt last time in this division that bringing players in then paying them off every other month is not a good way of doing business.

UTM

#sortitslade

Agree with this, maybe we should get season tickets on sale pretty quickly.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
lowerfindus
April 30, 2017, 11:19pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
At the Fans Forum JF said they wait for the right moment (or words to that effect) Herts. I can't say I agree with that.

Season ticket holders should be getting their renewal packs within a month or more of the season left. They in general are not likely to be swayed by a last minute run of form or a signing "that will make the hairs on your neck stand up". Having witnessed a full season they have more likely to have come to a conclusion yes or no regards renewal way before depending on what they have got out of the season.

When you listen to Radio Hull all the other local sporting teams start early with their sale's and we always lag behind. I wonder which one of us is in the wrong??

The non chairman will tell us what to think.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
Marinerz93
April 30, 2017, 11:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Slade has a lot of work to do bringing in the right players and club staff if the club intentions are real of getting promotion, the truth will be in the budget won't it Mr Fenty.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
moosey_club
April 30, 2017, 11:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,293
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree with this, maybe we should get season tickets on sale pretty quickly.

Hahahahaha...thats a cracker

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.