Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 237 Guests

Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

This thread currently has 10,241 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
April 30, 2017, 4:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Is Slade up for the challenge?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
golfer
April 30, 2017, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 117
I can see where you are coming from mariner91 and agree on most of what you say,but I just want to add why is Slade still persevering with Maxwell,Comley,and Dyson. He must have seen enough already to know that they are not of the standard required so why not send them back now instead of waiting until after Plymouth. Surely he is not going to play them again when we have alternatives that will be here next season and who want the experience instead of sat twiddling their thumbs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
Bigdog
April 30, 2017, 5:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Grantley
Calling Shaun Pearson a slow, whole-hearted player is ridiculously harsh.

I'm probably going to be really unpopular on here with these comments.

Taking account that my OP was based on being in a perfect world and we were looking to build a promotion winning side, I don't think SP would be in an ideal side week in week out to get out of this division. Based purely on performances I don't think there's been too much between SP, DC and JG this season, yet the general consensus is that JG is not League Two standard yet SP can do no wrong and deserves a two year contract. All three have had games good, bad and indifferent, all commit too many fouls, all ball watch, all drop too deep, all not particularly that good on the ball and are all not quick enough. I just don't think any of them are the standard of a promotion winning side, yet due to age being on his side I would maybe keep SP as a back up.

SP is a great role model and a great ambassador for GTFC, but looking through rose-tinted specs won't get us promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
HertsGTFC
April 30, 2017, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog

Taking account that my OP was based on being in a perfect world and we were looking to build a promotion winning side, I don't think SP would be in an ideal side week in week out to get out of this division. Based purely on performances I don't think there's been too much between SP, DC and JG this season, yet the general consensus is that JG is not League Two standard yet SP can do no wrong and deserves a two year contract. All three have had games good, bad and indifferent, all commit too many fouls, all ball watch, all drop too deep, all not particularly that good on the ball and are all not quick enough. I just don't think any of them are the standard of a promotion winning side, yet due to age being on his side I would maybe keep SP as a back up.

SP is a great role model and a great ambassador for GTFC, but looking through rose-tinted specs won't get us promotion.

To be honest he is a hero to us and quite right too as he has been a good player and servant for the club on and off the pitch and if reports have been accurate has turned down better terms elsewhere to stay at GTFC. He has progressed well but still at times struggles to win high balls launched into our box especially at the near post Cheltenham a couple of weeks ago was a good example. I don't think he's physically that slow but maybe sometimes a bit slow to read a situation, experience will change that though.

Funnily enough I thought his all round footballing game was progressing really well under MB. If I was Russ I would certainly offer him a decent deal but make him 1 of 3  playing for 2 first team places with a utility defender as back up.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
golfer
April 30, 2017, 5:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Think it's time the pub shut
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
Youngy
April 30, 2017, 7:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
After watching the Cheltenham and Barnet matches, Slade has got a lot to prove that he is the right man for the job and that he can get players to play for him.  All i've seen so far is a lack of a plan an a lack of effort.

I hope i'm wrong but I predict a lower finish next year than this.

In the two games I saw the opposite, thought we played with far more energy and organisation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
Youngy
April 30, 2017, 7:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,674
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Bigdog

Firstly I love Shaun, wonderful bloke and a great servant.....but I half agree with you. I think it's easy to forget he wasn't even a first choice centre back in a Conference team last season. To me he seems to have 2 or 3 good games but then has 1 complete nightmare performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
moosey_club
April 30, 2017, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Before we completely obliterate the players/squad should the question be established.........is it the players/squad that have not been good enough or the managers (RS excluded) ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
GrimRob
April 30, 2017, 8:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club
Before we completely obliterate the players/squad should the question be established.........is it the players/squad that have not been good enough or the managers (RS excluded) ?

The results under the 3 managers have all followed a similar pattern, so I would suggest that the finger of blame should be pointed at the players, plus the two managers who selected them in the first place. Regardless of how our budget compares to the other teams, I think it's fair to say that the money we have spent could have been done so more optimally than it was done.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 66
golfer
April 30, 2017, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
To be honest I would say half the players on Towns books are" not bad to good" the other half are "absolute shite"so obviously the praise or blame is down to the 2 managers before Slade
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Big Job For Slade In The Summer?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.