This thread currently has 9,883 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
January 25, 2017, 7:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
It's not just Hurst and Bignot who haven't played him regularly. At Wrexham he was on the bench prior to his departure and as a kid was bombed out by West Ham.

Always said that talent only gets you so far, it has to be combined with attitude and application to even stand a chance of making it.

No manager in his right mind would 'build a team around him' unless he was desperate for the sack

Vose is heading back to non league obscurity I'm afraid
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
chaos33
January 25, 2017, 7:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Surely you need to earn your chance on the training pitch. When I think of Vose, my mind seems to be drawn to Sestanovich.

Or, to some extent, Scott Neilson, who just wasn't that bothered about being a pro despite his considerable talent.

I think Jonny makes a good point - I'd love to see him given a run of games (even if only as sub) in an advanced centre midfield position, but something is stopping Marcus from doing that. Mystery really.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
oldun
January 25, 2017, 8:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I love to watch Dominic play, he has some lovely skills, but I have to say he is not great off the ball which is why managers probably don't make him first choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
Garth
January 25, 2017, 8:39am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
If he went tomorrow he would not be missed, a skillful bit player at the most and one that Scunny won't want to keep. we have better now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
Tommy
January 25, 2017, 8:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Some players are better in training than in matches and some are not so good in training but deliver (or are more effective) in games.
I'm all for discipline and people having to earn places etc but when it comes down to it, I'm sure a manager would favour someone who is better on a Saturday. At the end of the day his job depends on what happens on a Saturday, not during the week behind closed doors.

I think when he's had a run of games he was one of our best players. When he was left-midfield under Hurst for 7/8 games he scored a couple and created a few goals, being an outlet that could receive the ball under pressure and make things happen. Only had the odd game under MB so far.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2017, 9:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Thinking back, he had the opportunity to come here last January and chose Scunny.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
Mariner93er
January 25, 2017, 9:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I really can't see how he'd fit into the current system anyway.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
diehardmariner
January 25, 2017, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I'm a fan of what Vose brings technically but his work-rate/ethic wouldn't be of benefit to the side at present.

I still think he deserves, or deserved, a run playing in the No 10 role but I think that's gone.  We've brought Osborne in who is far more industrious but also has creativity to his game.  

The Neilson/Sestanovic comparisons are very fair, loads of natural talent but not the right application levels to achieve.  Granted, I think too much is made of players who don't bleed on the shirt every game and fly into 50/50 tackles all the time but if you have an option of someone who can create and will work or someone who will only look to create, it's a no brainer.  

I also suspect that we won't regret letting Vose slip away too much.  Just like we didn't with Neilson 2 years ago.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
PPMariner
January 25, 2017, 10:18am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Sestanovich, Peter's Bore and Sweeney and Scott Neilson (even...Graham Hockless for a few short months) - differing degrees of over-talented for the level they played with us, but each only showed it whimsically. If they had put in the requisite effort throughout their careers, they'd have likely never pulled on black and white and played at our level. That effort would've meant they were playing with others of similar ability, and as such a relatively small fish in a bigger pond...rather than (certainly ability-wise...and ability to excite the fans) a big talented fish in a smaller GTFC-level pond.

A whole manner of things are required to knit a cohesive and successful team together and often, these personalities can and will be as disruptive in more subtle ways than their very obvious (though sporadic) gifts bring to boost the team.

It's a real shame, as they were each at times very exciting to watch, but perhaps we will add to the list Dominic Vose.

As others have said, it can be no coincidence that he's been perennially moved on/unplayed at previous clubs - at higher and lower levels - despite the undoubted technical gifts he possesses.

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Ipswin
January 25, 2017, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Its exactly the same as when Vose was at Colchester on loan from W Ham. According to my mate a Colchester ST holder he made the rest of the team look very ordinary when he could be bothered which wasn't very often.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MB in the Tellywag

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.