Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2017, 2:28pm
Talking about his striking options as 'Akwasi, Adi, Scott and Omar and we can throw Tom in as well'

No mention of Jackson and Vose?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2017, 2:33pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Talking about his striking options as 'Akwasi, Adi, Scott and Omar and we can throw Tom in as well'

No mention of Jackson and Vose?

I think it's fairly obvious that those 2 are not in his plans. Neither of them are our players anyway. Vose divides opinion and i think we know which side MB comes down on.
Posted by: coddy60, January 24, 2017, 2:55pm; Reply: 2
Neither Tom nor Vose are strikers, and Jackson is doubtful....
Posted by: TAGG, January 24, 2017, 10:17pm; Reply: 3
Vose
Best technical footballer at this club for years.

Fookin great player for this league.
Boils my urine that he not playing.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 24, 2017, 10:26pm; Reply: 4
He said that Vose had it in him to be a good player at a higher level,

AND

Encouraged him to show it on a regular basis,

He has failed to produce that in training so I expect him to go back to Scunny.
Posted by: TAGG, January 24, 2017, 10:32pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
He said that Vose had it in him to be a good player at a higher level,

AND

Encouraged him to show it on a regular basis,

He has failed to produce that in training so I expect him to go back to Scunny.

Fook it if he's not that good in training sessions as long as he can do it on the pitch which I think he can if given a run in the starting line up get him in there UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 24, 2017, 10:36pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from TAGG

Fook it if he's not that good in training sessions as long as he can do it on the pitch which I think he can if given a run in the starting line up get him in there UTM

I agree but managers think different,

If they do not produce the goods in training they do not start.
Posted by: chaos33, January 24, 2017, 10:46pm; Reply: 7
I saw the piece and immediately thought that it must mean that Kayden Jackson has gone back to Barnsley as he was omitted. Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere. I consider Vose to be a midfielder so it didn't really register that he wasn't mentioned in the list of 'striking options'.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 24, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 8
One player that was terrible in training according to Alan Buckley was Paul Futcher,

BUT

What a player in a proper match,

So sometimes you have to rely on what a player does in a real game and not how he performs in training.
Posted by: chaos33, January 24, 2017, 10:57pm; Reply: 9
I like Vose and would like to see him selected, but can't get past the fact that his last two managers have been reluctant to play him, and his two managers prior to that were happy enough to let him leave. There must be something in that.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 24, 2017, 11:06pm; Reply: 10
There's a good player in him somewhere, no doubt , but it's no coincidence that he gets bombed out continually. Shame because he's wasted his talent .
Posted by: Maringer, January 24, 2017, 11:18pm; Reply: 11
I think you'd need to build your team and formation around Vose to get the best out of him as putting him out on the wing hasn't worked and he isn't really a striker either. Perhaps he's not quite effective enough often enough in whichever position he plays to make this worthwhile?
Posted by: wiggers, January 24, 2017, 11:26pm; Reply: 12
Vose has bags of talent, he just doesn't seem that bothered to me. If he had a bit of fire in his belly I think he could be an outstanding player. That's my opinion of him whenever I ve seen him in a town shirt. UTM.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 24, 2017, 11:33pm; Reply: 13
I think he's done at GTFC as he is I assume not going to be here next year and possibly Marcus would rather build the mid field mid/long term around the new signings and perm deal lads, real shame as I think he has real talent.

I just wonder what he would perform like if he was part of a first team squad where he wasn't the most talented? Would they see a bit more hunger perhaps?
Posted by: Mrbusdriver, January 25, 2017, 12:48am; Reply: 14
Quoted from chaos33
I like Vose and would like to see him selected, but can't get past the fact that his last two managers have been reluctant to play him, and his two managers prior to that were happy enough to let him leave. There must be something in that.

If he had blue eyes and blonde hair with that talent, I think your point would be invalid. If he was a poster boy, we would of never got him here in the first place. Anyway hard to replace quality, let's see what happens now.
Shave your beard Dominic Vose.👍
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2017, 1:02am; Reply: 15
WTF?
Posted by: Kris2, January 25, 2017, 1:52am; Reply: 16
Quoted from chaos33

Seems a bit chronic for him really, every time we talk about it here I just think "wow what a shame" because he clearly has the talent and on the days where he feels like it he's a good player it just seems to be a job keeping him motivated because he's a player who can go missing when he cba. One week he's picking out these amazing passes you wouldn't expect him to accurately put through several players to feet and the next you barely notice him as he slowly strolls around the pitch.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 25, 2017, 5:49am; Reply: 17
Let's be honest has vose really been given a proper chance here ?

He certainly hasn't under marcus IMO for one reason or another.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 25, 2017, 6:44am; Reply: 18
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Let's be honest has vose really been given a proper chance here ?

He certainly hasn't under marcus IMO for one reason or another.

Surely you need to earn your chance on the training pitch. When I think of Vose, my mind seems to be drawn to Sestanovich.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, January 25, 2017, 7:00am; Reply: 19
Vose clearly showed earlier in the season that he was the only player in the team who was a) comfortable on the ball b) unfazed when surrounded by opposition players as he had the skill to wriggle his way out of a situation and c) the only one capable of making an incisive pass.

He needs a manager who has the nous to understand him properly and not base their opinion solely on what he does in training. We've missed a great opportunity by not playing Vose regularly, particularly during the last few weeks when we had a midfield who probably all did well in training, but out on the pitch were utterly clueless and outclassed by the opposition.
Posted by: Cloudy, January 25, 2017, 7:17am; Reply: 20
It's not just Hurst and Bignot who haven't played him regularly. At Wrexham he was on the bench prior to his departure and as a kid was bombed out by West Ham.

Always said that talent only gets you so far, it has to be combined with attitude and application to even stand a chance of making it.

No manager in his right mind would 'build a team around him' unless he was desperate for the sack

Vose is heading back to non league obscurity I'm afraid
Posted by: chaos33, January 25, 2017, 7:21am; Reply: 21
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Surely you need to earn your chance on the training pitch. When I think of Vose, my mind seems to be drawn to Sestanovich.

Or, to some extent, Scott Neilson, who just wasn't that bothered about being a pro despite his considerable talent.

I think Jonny makes a good point - I'd love to see him given a run of games (even if only as sub) in an advanced centre midfield position, but something is stopping Marcus from doing that. Mystery really.
Posted by: oldun, January 25, 2017, 8:07am; Reply: 22
I love to watch Dominic play, he has some lovely skills, but I have to say he is not great off the ball which is why managers probably don't make him first choice.
Posted by: Garth, January 25, 2017, 8:39am; Reply: 23
If he went tomorrow he would not be missed, a skillful bit player at the most and one that Scunny won't want to keep. we have better now.
Posted by: Tommy, January 25, 2017, 8:54am; Reply: 24
Some players are better in training than in matches and some are not so good in training but deliver (or are more effective) in games.
I'm all for discipline and people having to earn places etc but when it comes down to it, I'm sure a manager would favour someone who is better on a Saturday. At the end of the day his job depends on what happens on a Saturday, not during the week behind closed doors.

I think when he's had a run of games he was one of our best players. When he was left-midfield under Hurst for 7/8 games he scored a couple and created a few goals, being an outlet that could receive the ball under pressure and make things happen. Only had the odd game under MB so far.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 25, 2017, 9:40am; Reply: 25
Thinking back, he had the opportunity to come here last January and chose Scunny.
Posted by: Mariner93er, January 25, 2017, 9:44am; Reply: 26
I really can't see how he'd fit into the current system anyway.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 25, 2017, 9:45am; Reply: 27
I'm a fan of what Vose brings technically but his work-rate/ethic wouldn't be of benefit to the side at present.

I still think he deserves, or deserved, a run playing in the No 10 role but I think that's gone.  We've brought Osborne in who is far more industrious but also has creativity to his game.  

The Neilson/Sestanovic comparisons are very fair, loads of natural talent but not the right application levels to achieve.  Granted, I think too much is made of players who don't bleed on the shirt every game and fly into 50/50 tackles all the time but if you have an option of someone who can create and will work or someone who will only look to create, it's a no brainer.  

I also suspect that we won't regret letting Vose slip away too much.  Just like we didn't with Neilson 2 years ago.
Posted by: PPMariner, January 25, 2017, 10:18am; Reply: 28
Sestanovich, Peter's Bore and Sweeney and Scott Neilson (even...Graham Hockless for a few short months) - differing degrees of over-talented for the level they played with us, but each only showed it whimsically. If they had put in the requisite effort throughout their careers, they'd have likely never pulled on black and white and played at our level. That effort would've meant they were playing with others of similar ability, and as such a relatively small fish in a bigger pond...rather than (certainly ability-wise...and ability to excite the fans) a big talented fish in a smaller GTFC-level pond.

A whole manner of things are required to knit a cohesive and successful team together and often, these personalities can and will be as disruptive in more subtle ways than their very obvious (though sporadic) gifts bring to boost the team.

It's a real shame, as they were each at times very exciting to watch, but perhaps we will add to the list Dominic Vose.

As others have said, it can be no coincidence that he's been perennially moved on/unplayed at previous clubs - at higher and lower levels - despite the undoubted technical gifts he possesses.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 25, 2017, 10:22am; Reply: 29
Its exactly the same as when Vose was at Colchester on loan from W Ham. According to my mate a Colchester ST holder he made the rest of the team look very ordinary when he could be bothered which wasn't very often.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 25, 2017, 10:28am; Reply: 30
i like vose, a lot, but unfortunately the managers we've had this season dont seem too, which means something isnt right, technically he is miles and miles above our midfield players, shame as he really does have talent, would hate for it to go to wate but what can you do?
Posted by: Hertsmariner, January 25, 2017, 10:37am; Reply: 31
Perhaps it just boils down to 'hunger'. Even the technically gifted need to have the appetite for relentless application to become outstanding players. And 'practice, practice, practice', is what delivers the technical ability to begin with. I find it impossible to understand how young players (isn't Vose only 23?) can expect to develop their full potential without relentless practice on the training ground. The work ethic can only come from within. I'm not sure that anyone can really teach that, though perhaps psychotherapy can tweak a mental switch. Perhaps both Vose and Jackson would benefit from that.
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 25, 2017, 10:49am; Reply: 32
My gym has a sign saying 'Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard' - a bit trite, but sort of sums it up
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2017, 11:05am; Reply: 33
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
Vose clearly showed earlier in the season that he was the only player in the team who was a) comfortable on the ball b) unfazed when surrounded by opposition players as he had the skill to wriggle his way out of a situation and c) the only one capable of making an incisive pass.

He needs a manager who has the nous to understand him properly and not base their opinion solely on what he does in training. We've missed a great opportunity by not playing Vose regularly, particularly during the last few weeks when we had a midfield who probably all did well in training, but out on the pitch were utterly clueless and outclassed by the opposition.

I find these kinds of posts quite funny. If only they could see what you can see, if only they had the nous that you have, they would put Vose in every week in a number 10 role. So successive managers who have spent their whole lives in the professional game can't see that if only they would listen to the fans, they would realise the error of their ways?

There is a reason Vose drifts from club to club and drifts in and out of teams. The utterly clueless midfield that have been outclassed by the opposition in the last few weeks have taken 13 points from the last 6 games. That is promotion form. Can we just trust the judgement of those whose job it is to actually pick the best team they think will win games?
Posted by: 97 (Guest), January 25, 2017, 11:16am; Reply: 34
I'm glad Scunny bought him.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 25, 2017, 12:22pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from ginnywings

I think it's fairly obvious that those 2 are not in his plans. Neither of them are our players anyway. Vose divides opinion and i think we know which side MB comes down on.

Maybe he sees Vose as an attacking midfielder as opposed to a striker?
Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2017, 12:38pm; Reply: 36
MB stated to the press a few weeks ago now that Vose had the best chance of his career to impress a manager who is there for the players and  a manager who will support and develop his players....he did strongly hint that although Dom has the talent if he couldnt apply the other elements of the game then it would be hard for him to have a solid future in the game altogether as he was running out of chances.  
Posted by: RichMariner, January 25, 2017, 12:39pm; Reply: 37
I've only been able to make a handful of home matches this season. In three of them - Crewe, Hartlepool and Cheltenham - Vose started and was totally anonymous.

In fact, he was subbed off in the 76th minute on all three occasions.

I don't doubt that he has talent, and I accept that he's been much better in matches I haven't been able to get to, but clearly we're not seeing what the managers have been seeing.

I hope someone like Gavin Gunning has a word with him - someone who knows what it's like to waste talent, but who's working hard to turn it around.
Posted by: Maringer, January 25, 2017, 1:06pm; Reply: 38
If Soccerbase is to be believed, Vose has made 12 starts and 4 sub appearances since he joined us. Just a couple of assists in this time isn't a great record for a supposedly creative player, though he did also bag a couple of goals early in the season.

It seems to be the case that he doesn't have a role in our team as it is set up at present.
Posted by: Cloudy, January 25, 2017, 1:13pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33

Or, to some extent, Scott Neilson, who just wasn't that bothered about being a pro despite his considerable talent.

I think Jonny makes a good point - I'd love to see him given a run of games (even if only as sub) in an advanced centre midfield position, but something is stopping Marcus from doing that. Mystery really.

Fans often suggest that this is where they want too see Vose played (myself included) BUT no manager seems to see him in that role. Even at Wrexham he was played wide left as he has primarily been here
Posted by: Garth, January 25, 2017, 1:24pm; Reply: 40
It never seems to amaze me that you can train all week for ninety minutes then on Saturday just stroll around.

In order to make good money from the game and give it your best you need to follow the example of Kevin Keegan who was not blessed with close ball control but worked very hard for ninety minutes for the team and was a success.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 25, 2017, 1:25pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Hagrid
i like vose, a lot, but unfortunately the managers we've had this season dont seem too, which means something isnt right, technically he is miles and miles above our midfield players, shame as he really does have talent, would hate for it to go to wate but what can you do?

The bit in bold is interesting as much as a talent a player is he needs players around him who can click with him by making runs into space, one two's and creating space by unselfish work etc.... I just wonder if our mid field has not (up until now been) been good/consistent enough or the strikers savvy enough for us to see the best of him?

Or maybe he's just a lazy fornicator with a bad attitude................ Probably not either but the speculation is filling time on a grey afternoon in January and before Saturday's game.  
Posted by: Davec, January 25, 2017, 2:19pm; Reply: 42
Quite clearly Dominic Vose is very much technically gifted, his close ball control is excellent and that makes him very hard to disposses but he clearly lacks application and his attitude lets him down, as it does so many players.

Much have been made about the merits of playing him in the centre, but the fact of the matter is, most managers have played him out wide, and I believe Vose prefers it there, so would he be better suited playing in the centre? not necessarily so.

For all his technical ability he certainly does lack consistency, and he doesn't get as many goals or assists as he should, he got 10 in half a season for Wrexham in the conference last season, which seems decent enough for a wide player, but many of them were free kicks or penalties, yes I know they still count as goals, but take them away that makes his goals record from open play look average at best.

He's 23 now, 24 in November, and he's already played for nearly two dozen clubs, why is that? So many managers have tried and not been able to get the best out of him, and sadly time is running out for Vose to pull his finger out, if he does pull his finger out he will be a much better player, but will he pull his finger out? Sadly  I suspect not, it's a shame.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 25, 2017, 2:25pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Davec
Quite clearly Dominic Vose is very much technically gifted, his close ball control is excellent and that makes him very hard to disposses but he clearly lacks application and his attitude lets him down, as it does so many players.

Much have been made about the merits of playing him in the centre, but the fact of the matter is, most managers have played him out wide, and I believe Vose prefers it there, so would he be better suited playing in the centre? not necessarily so.

For all his technical ability he certainly does lack consistency, and he doesn't get as many goals or assists as he should, he got 10 in half a season for Wrexham in the conference last season, which seems decent enough for a wide player, but many of them were free kicks or penalties, yes I know they still count as goals, but take them away that makes his goals record from open play look average at best.

He's 23 now, 24 in November, and he's already played for nearly two dozen clubs, why is that? So many managers have tried and not been able to get the best out of him, and sadly time is running out for Vose to pull his finger out, if he does pull his finger out he will be a much better player, but will he pull his finger out? Sadly  I suspect not, it's a shame.

Town are his 9th club according to Wiki, a few less than 24!
Posted by: Davec, January 25, 2017, 3:32pm; Reply: 44
Apologies les I was typing something else, about only scoring two goals this season but I decided to type about his clubs instead and I obviously forgot to take out the "two" I did mean to say nearly a dozen
Posted by: moosey_club, January 25, 2017, 4:57pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Davec
Apologies les I was typing something else, about only scoring two goals this season but I decided to type about his clubs instead and I obviously forgot to take out the "two" I did mean to say nearly a dozen

So ....9 is nearly a dozen now ?

If i asked... how wonder how big your man parts would be ?    ;)
Posted by: Pastandpresent, January 25, 2017, 5:05pm; Reply: 46
I believe if hurst had stayed he would have played more , from what I'm hearing MB ego is the biggest problem tells players there going to start and then changes it at the last minute at present we've put the playing budget up by 5k pw he's told certain players to find clubs with a week to go , not saying it's a bad thing but harmony isn't the best at present
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 25, 2017, 5:14pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Pastandpresent
I believe if hurst had stayed he would have played more , from what I'm hearing MB ego is the biggest problem tells players there going to start and then changes it at the last minute at present we've put the playing budget up by 5k pw he's told certain players to find clubs with a week to go , not saying it's a bad thing but harmony isn't the best at present

Well he wasn't likely to allow players to leave if he didn't get replacements in, particularly with the 3 young pros out on loan. And of course Hurst would have played Vose more - he wanted him last January and then signed him on a season long loan. F**k the squad harmony - if the manager feels that he needs to improve the squad then surely that's a good thing?
Posted by: mariner91, January 25, 2017, 6:20pm; Reply: 48

And yet our form is the best it's been all season. It'll be the players who aren't contributing to the form that are whinging and a lot of them won't be here for long so I can't say I'm that concerned.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, January 25, 2017, 9:38pm; Reply: 49
I think most of us would say Vose is a gifted footballer and probably the most skilled player in the squad and one of the most skilled players we have had at BP for many years.

When not in possession he is almost a liability though and his work off the ball is lacking. For better or worse the modern game demands more than just being great with the ball at your feet. Some may call him a luxury player. As much as i like to see him play and lighten up the game with his ability i do think where he fits into our current team. He is the sort of player you have to build your team around not try to fit him into your team.

4-4-2  he doesnt do enough off the ball to play in the middle 2 and stuck out wide is a waste of his ability......he is not involved enough and offers no protection for your full back at all.

4-4-3 may be better suited but again he gets exposed when we dont have the ball.

For me his best position is in the 'hole' behind the centre forward but Town dont really play that way.

Its a shame as i fear he will never fulfill his potential.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 25, 2017, 10:02pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
I think most of us would say Vose is a gifted footballer and probably the most skilled player in the squad and one of the most skilled players we have had at BP for many years.

When not in possession he is almost a liability though and his work off the ball is lacking. For better or worse the modern game demands more than just being great with the ball at your feet. Some may call him a luxury player. As much as i like to see him play and lighten up the game with his ability i do think where he fits into our current team. He is the sort of player you have to build your team around not try to fit him into your team.

4-4-2  he doesnt do enough off the ball to play in the middle 2 and stuck out wide is a waste of his ability......he is not involved enough and offers no protection for your full back at all.

4-4-3 may be better suited but again he gets exposed when we dont have the ball.

For me his best position is in the 'hole' behind the centre forward but Town dont really play that way.

If he was so good, why not? Or is it another example of application not matching talent? Sadly, he may only have himself to blame.
Posted by: chaos33, January 25, 2017, 10:25pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

i like the idea of 4-4-3 mate.  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 25, 2017, 10:27pm; Reply: 52
I believe if hurst had stayed he would have played more , from what I'm hearing MB ego is the biggest problem tells players there going to start and then changes it at the last minute at present we've put the playing budget up by 5k pw he's told certain players to find clubs with a week to go , [b]not saying it's a bad thing but harmony isn't the best at present

It never is during a period of change...........
Posted by: ginnywings, January 25, 2017, 10:28pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from chaos33

i like the idea of 4-4-3 mate.  ;)

Rush goalie. Henderson started as an outfield player.  :)
Posted by: chaos33, January 25, 2017, 10:29pm; Reply: 54
:)
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 10:14am