January 19, 2017, 9:48am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Tommy

Selective quotes there Garth.

I gave a balanced opinion of him which did include negatives.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
GyMariner
January 19, 2017, 9:51am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
So we now have a completely new midfield in Osborne, McAllister and Clements (if he signs)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
ginnywings
January 19, 2017, 10:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
MB has said he doesn't mind players giving the ball away if they are trying to be positive with a pass. You see every week on MOTD, players with far more talent giving away goal scoring chances by playing out from the back. Sometimes a player can look bad because of those around him not being on the same wavelength and taking risks to get forward. A ball is played to where the man in possession thinks his team mate should be but isn't because he is naturally defensive minded. You see this every week at BP and it is what makes us disjointed. Pass and move football needs the move to make the pass effective. It takes a long time on the training pitch to get this fluid movement to come naturally. I think Summerfield could be a far more effective player in a more progressive, forward thinking side. Clements possibly suffers the same criticisms by Mansfield fans. It's easy to play the safe option and is why we struggle to break teams down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
MarinerMal
January 19, 2017, 10:41am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Tommy
Yes there has been a few times this season where a poor pass in our own half has given the opposition a chance to counter attack us. But at least that comes from him constantly wanting to get on the ball and pass it progressively. Even in those games he still doesn't hide after it and still always wants the ball which shows a bit of mental strength.]

In just about every home game I've seen him play in, he has gifted the opposition the ball and set up a counter attack and at least twice resulting in a goal for them. Once, twice maybe even 3 times could be forgiven but four, five, six... is a sign of a player who is a liability.

"Wanting to pass it progressively". Well it depends on how often that pass succeeds and I don't see him providing enough of this. Yes we need a player who can do that in the middle but we need a better player who can do that. Hopefully he will be one of the new signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2017, 10:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
MB has said he doesn't mind players giving the ball away if they are trying to be positive with a pass. You see every week on MOTD, players with far more talent giving away goal scoring chances by playing out from the back. Sometimes a player can look bad because of those around him not being on the same wavelength and taking risks to get forward. A ball is played to where the man in possession thinks his team mate should be but isn't because he is naturally defensive minded. You see this every week at BP and it is what makes us disjointed. Pass and move football needs the move to make the pass effective. It takes a long time on the training pitch to get this fluid movement to come naturally. I think Summerfield could be a far more effective player in a more progressive, forward thinking side. Clements possibly suffers the same criticisms by Mansfield fans. It's easy to play the safe option and is why we struggle to break teams down.

Agree with this, also when we lose the ball the team has to win it back I'm not sure we have been as effective as we might be at this season to date.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
ginnywings
January 19, 2017, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
I think Summerfield has shown enough to be given some leeway and see what he's got in a better balanced side. He looked very good at Bolton and in a couple of games at BP. If he can get some consistency and cut out the sloppy passes, then we could have a good player on our hands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
MarinerMal
January 19, 2017, 11:20am
Snakebite drinker
Disagree. I just don't think Summerfield is good enough, just my opinion. He has had the occasion decent game but nowhere near enough at this level. He may do okay at a lower level.

I think people desperate to see a creative type of midfield player at Town that they accept mediocrity as good. A similar thing happened with Nolan. We should be looking at players better than these.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2017, 11:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MarinerMal
Disagree. I just don't think Summerfield is good enough, just my opinion. He has had the occasion decent game but nowhere near enough at this level. He may do okay at a lower level.

I think people desperate to see a creative type of midfield player at Town that they accept mediocrity as good. A similar thing happened with Nolan. We should be looking at players better than these.

We have one - Vose! Sometimes you can only sign what's available and within your price range. I think we saw the value of Nolan when it counted - at Wembley! and also delivering the free kick for Omar to head home the winner in the semi at Braintree.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
Grantley
January 19, 2017, 11:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
As if Nolan was mediocre.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
MarinerMal
January 19, 2017, 11:43am
Snakebite drinker
But maybe with a better midfielder than Nolan we wouldn't have fallen so far of the pace after his arrival and wouldn't have finished lower than Braintree in the League. Nolan's best game were when he had Disley and Clay alongside him to do the job he couldn't/wouldn't do. Nolan wasn't a bad player he just wasn't a good player. Mediocre.

Yes I would play Vose over Summerfield, he's a better more creative player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our Midfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.