9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
January 19, 2017, 8:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
I think somebody else mentioned summerfield having only 1 assist to his name this season - well I can think of two he has had for the opposition off the top of my head! And he has done it a couple more times but been saved by last ditch tackles from teammates. Think he flatters to deceive goin forward, appears more effective than he is. But is dangerous for his own team when in possession in his own half. For me definitely one of those players who improves in people's eyes when he isn't in the team! Still maybe MB can coach some of his weaknesses out of him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 86
Mariner_09
January 19, 2017, 8:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
If you watch him more carefully, when he doesn't play a square ball across the back 4, he tends to keep the ball well and actually be really composed on the ball and energetic with ot without it. Has everything in the locker, a good engine, good passing range, can put his foot in, can score from distance but also has a monumental balls up there. If he could eradicate that he wouldn't be playing at this level.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2017, 8:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,945
Gold Stars: 228
Summerfield has a great attitude and always tries to play at tempo which sometimes can be his downfall as he becomes careless with the ball and gives it away. He has got a good range of passing though and does not mind putting in a shift.

I actually think he could make a much bigger impact with a more stable mid field around him that means he can just focus on getting us up the park.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
Tommy
January 19, 2017, 9:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from MarinerMal
It's amazing how some players improve when they don't play.

I think some of you are guilty of forgetting how poor Summerfield can be. He's probably provided more assists for the opposition than he has for his own team this season.

Or maybe, when he doesn't play, you see what he gives you that Disley/Mills don't.

Yes there has been a few times this season where a poor pass in our own half has given the opposition a chance to counter attack us. But at least that comes from him constantly wanting to get on the ball and pass it progressively. Even in those games he still doesn't hide after it and still always wants the ball which shows a bit of mental strength.

He has a bit of energy and helps us press fairly well.
He always looks to receive the ball on the half-turn and get us going forward as quickly as possible. (Can be another slight downfall of his at times though as he sometimes does this without checking behind him).

He looks to play passes that break lines and get the ball into the feet of the strikers.

Overall he's nowhere near as bad as some claim.
He's a decent enough League 2 player and I'd be happy for him to stay as part of the squad.
I think some people use the fact that he's gifted a few chances to opposition as justification for a lazy observation that he always gives the ball away - which he doesn't.

I actually think he's been involved in the build up of quite a few goals of ours without getting the "assist" state for bring the last one to touch the ball before the scorer. I remember a few good through balls he's played to an overlapping Andrew who has then crossed, directly or indirectly leading to goals.

And I think as someone else has said, it may help him playing  in a three too.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
Mariner93er
January 19, 2017, 9:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,737
Gold Stars: 28
To be fair to him, despite his mistakes, he's never shown an unwillingness to receive the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 86
Badger57
January 19, 2017, 9:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,912
Gold Stars: 30
The lad from Mansfield on signing today. Good spot by the fishy detective!  B-)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
Garth
January 19, 2017, 9:35am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quotes

Summerfield has a great attitude and always tries to play at tempo

He always looks to receive the ball on the half-turn and get us going forward as quickly as possible

He looks to play passes that break lines and get the ball into the feet of the strikers.

I actually think he's been involved in the build up of quite a few goals of ours without getting the "assist"

Where is this genius, go get him Marcus------Oh wait

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
IlkleyMariner
January 19, 2017, 9:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
So far MB has done a good job in getting new players on board. If he can get Chris Clements to put in the effort he too looks useful.

However, we don't have any potency out wide. Ashley Chambers puts in a good shift, but doesn't get wide and put in telling crosses.

If we put Yusuf out wide he will be missed up front, and was not effective for Crawley out wide.

Jackson (if he stays) has lost confidence, and Browne is out on loan.

Maybe its time for Bolly to come to the party. I can't see that JF will allow money to be spent much more after the 5 signings and resigning of Conley.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 86
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2017, 9:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,945
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
So far MB has done a good job in getting new players on board. If he can get Chris Clements to put in the effort he too looks useful.

However, we don't have any potency out wide. Ashley Chambers puts in a good shift, but doesn't get wide and put in telling crosses.

If we put Yusuf out wide he will be missed up front, and was not effective for Crawley out wide.

Jackson (if he stays) has lost confidence, and Browne is out on loan.

Maybe its time for Bolly to come to the party. I can't see that JF will allow money to be spent much more after the 5 signings and resigning of Conley.

I don't get " I can't see that JF will allow money to be spent much more after the 5 signings and resigning of Conley" ??? Maybe we have spent what is available and the budget has been used up? I am sure we are not sat on a pot of money just earning interest the club are doing everything they can to get players in.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
Tommy
January 19, 2017, 9:46am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Garth
Quotes

Summerfield has a great attitude and always tries to play at tempo

He always looks to receive the ball on the half-turn and get us going forward as quickly as possible

I actually think he's been involved in the build up of quite a few goals of ours without getting the "assist"

Where is this genius, go get him Marcus------Oh wait

Selective quotes there Garth.

I gave a balanced opinion of him which did include negatives.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our Midfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.