6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Mallyner
January 15, 2017, 5:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Apparently Childline were inundated with phone calls last night.

Mainly from Reynolds Street school kids, Shaun gave free tickets to.  

Nice touch though Shaun, shame about the game.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2017, 10:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Nobody can argue that the quality of the game was poor and personally I had no problems with our formation just the players selected for a home match. Mills is, on todays evidence, a midfield player who can receive a ball from the back four and get it through to our forwards quickly.

That said it is for me our ability to turn defence into attack that is our major problem not least the speed at which this is done. Thinking about the game some hours later I can reflect that most of the first half was actually pretty even and much like the Blackpool game neither side looked like scoring until an untidy goal for them makes us put a different reflection on the first half. Within that time I believe we put in four of the best crosses I have seen all season but we did not win one of these, or, in truth look like we would and our lack of aerial anility up front is another problem. Sean headed over from a very good position from a corner and from some attacks we actually got men into the box but never troubled their keeper.

Second half nearly brought what would have been a fantastic goal from Andrew and two quality passes from Gunning but then came the Collins error and from then on we were abysmal rather than poor. Big disappointment was the inability of two very experienced players, Disley & Davies, to influence our midfield and shape during the game. I did a few weeks back suggest they play together but just shows armchair management is not always correct either.

Thought Vose should have started and could not understand Sean going off, unless injured which put Collins out of his comfort zone, nor bringing Tom on up front, why not retain the two strikers with a proper wide player?

So MB said we would always go for the three points but did not see how hfe planned to go about this with the changes he made. Going to BP is not for the faint hearted thats for sure and hopefully MB will have learned a lot today and we will see a couple of new signings arrive this week which will help lift the gloom.

Whatever we do need to improve our home form otherwise we will be losing a lot of home fans which will only impact on our budget and players we can bring in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
acko338
January 15, 2017, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
I honestly feel that 6 or 7 players out there in the first half were afraid to accept passes with the sheer speed of Exeter's harassing tactics.

The amount of frantic passes across the field and back to Henderson was indcative of how well Exeter set out a game plan for the first 20 minutes and executed it brilliantly.

Yussuf found good space but often had three defenders surrounding him with "no shows" for his next pass.

Grimsby passing accuracy was abysmal - so many going behind players or straight into touch.

Exeter just seemed stronger, faster and more organised and the players had no answers to how they played  - just thought our guys should have put up a better fight of it !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
BottesfordMariner
January 15, 2017, 12:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from acko338
I honestly feel that 6 or 7 players out there in the first half were afraid to accept passes with the sheer speed of Exeter's harassing tactics.

The amount of frantic passes across the field and back to Henderson was indcative of how well Exeter set out a game plan for the first 20 minutes and executed it brilliantly.

Yussuf found good space but often had three defenders surrounding him with "no shows" for his next pass.

Grimsby passing accuracy was abysmal - so many going behind players or straight into touch.

Exeter just seemed stronger, faster and more organised and the players had no answers to how they played  - just thought our guys should have put up a better fight of it !

This would back up Bignots post match comments. He wants to play out from the back and keep possession.

Of course you need to have players who are able to do that. Hence Bignot bringing in Gunning and looking at other new faces. And if thats how teams know you play they will counter that with a high tempo pressing game. Exeter did it well yesterday (and Pompey did the same great job on us recently). It is a bit alien to the English game and you wonder how a traditional stopper centre half (and a good one) like Shaun Pearson fits into the long term plans.And i am not having a pop at Shauny. It is not an easy transition to change the way you play ..just ask Pep Guardiola...and he has £30-£40M players struggling to adapt...we are League 2.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Kris2
January 15, 2017, 12:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Grim74
He's right about the crowds though some of the kids there won't want to go again.

Considering most of them didn't seem to be watching the game at all I doubt it'll make any difference. Half the kids in the pontoon seemed more interested in running around the stands after the first 5 minutes of the game.

As for the game it was bad, not the worst game I've seen us play but just lacked anybody trying to get the ball moving forward we played way too defensively for a home game and paid for it. I lost count of how many backpasses we made and how many passes in our own area.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 12:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

This would back up Bignots post match comments. He wants to play out from the back and keep possession.

Of course you need to have players who are able to do that. Hence Bignot bringing in Gunning and looking at other new faces. And if thats how teams know you play they will counter that with a high tempo pressing game. Exeter did it well yesterday (and Pompey did the same great job on us recently). It is a bit alien to the English game and you wonder how a traditional stopper centre half (and a good one) like Shaun Pearson fits into the long term plans.And i am not having a pop at Shauny. It is not an easy transition to change the way you play ..just ask Pep Guardiola...and he has £30-£40M players struggling to adapt...we are League 2.

I hope the "playing out from the back"  style is not too ambitious for a "4th division" team who are currently importing players from the lower end of the SPL and looking at more NL stars. Teams often win promotion by being pragmatic rather than artisan.

Yesterday as we have been all season our mid field and the CBs playing out from the back where so ponderous on the ball I think my granddad could have played a pressing game against them. We can play out from the back as much as we like but if players in the same coloured shirt don't move into space and demand the ball it will never work.  

To move forward we need a blend of energy, skill and savvy at the moment we lack that mix and it will take more than the Jan window to fix it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
golfer
January 15, 2017, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
I agree with what you say but they also have to have spacial ability. When I played I knew where my team mates where before I got the ball and knew who to pass to when I received it. Surely they must have seen Andrew unmarked time and time again and have it in their mind to try to bring him into the game if they received the ball. Comley tried to do this but like the rest of the midfield took too long for his brain to come into sync. the fullback sees what is going to happen and if the pass is made he has time to cut it out. The other times they just can't be bothered to try to create something so take the easy option and pass backwards or sideways to give the responsibility to someone else. A lot of them don't seem to know how to do any thing different. I dare say it's a form of laziness. We all see how Bogle reacts when he gets frustrated-that's because  he wants to win. It seems to me that a lot of the others want the pay cheque but dont want to have to work for it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2017, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from golfer
I agree with what you say but they also have to have spacial ability. When I played I knew where my team mates where before I got the ball and knew who to pass to when I received it. Surely they must have seen Andrew unmarked time and time again and have it in their mind to try to bring him into the game if they received the ball. Comley tried to do this but like the rest of the midfield took too long for his brain to come into sync. the fullback sees what is going to happen and if the pass is made he has time to cut it out. The other times they just can't be bothered to try to create something so take the easy option and pass backwards or sideways to give the responsibility to someone else. A lot of them don't seem to know how to do any thing different. I dare say it's a form of laziness. We all see how Bogle reacts when he gets frustrated-that's because  he wants to win. It seems to me that a lot of the others want the pay cheque but dont want to have to work for it

Agree with this, and would add that the tempo and energy has been missing for a while, there are too many players who are not busy enough off the ball and in possession.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
Garth
January 15, 2017, 1:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from golfer

You mean like the last two away wins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
jonnyboy82
January 15, 2017, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Marcus talks a good game and likes to have a laugh on his terms that is..

I worry about his tactical side of the game as we can't seem to look settled on a formation and he has had a fair few games to settle on one surely by now, ATM we are 3 5 2 which we have picked up some decent points with but is that really an attacking formation which lets be honest his words were he wants to play attacking football and entertain the fans , I haven't seen one game yet in which shows this.

I like him but he needs to come down off his perch a bit and stop thinking Grimsby is Solihull in which he was the big dog who made all the decisions , this is full time football in front of a Knowledgeable crowd who have seen both sides of it.

He needs time no doubt and in that we will see if he is as good as he thinks he is.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Disgrace

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.