Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Penny Pinching.........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 223 Guests

Penny Pinching.........

This thread currently has 10,953 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
August 23, 2016, 2:12pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Grim Rob.............  You are such a jobsworth with your replies it makes me laugh.  I am negative for stating the obvious.  You think Wycombe are a wealthy club because they have a newer ground than Grimsby..........  Do you realise that Wycombe's ground is basically situated in an Industrial Estate, how the hell does that generate money/ funds / etc etc........  Yet again, you will no doubt be so in the pocket of the club that no logical thinking is allowed, and the slightest criticism of the club is not allowed.  I was supporting this club and always will when you were  probably in short pants or not even on the planet.  I like other fans can see shortcomings and negativity by the hierarchy of the club which has on more than one occasion dragged this club into the gutter.

With the current squad we will be in trouble this year and crowds will slowly dip.  This is all due to a lack of foresight.  Last post from me on this sight I really cannot be bothered with a forum where people cannot express their opinions freely and openly, other than to be questioned by the moderator, or indeed removed by other external sources.  Believe what you like Grim (Reaper) Rob, this club is in a mess once again..........  keep wearing your rose coloured spectacles, that maybe you got a 5% discount off from the club shop...........

I am as neutral as anyone else, I think the club will have done more research into the viability of a new ground than you, who haven't even extended your thoughts to the back of a cigarette packet by the sounds of it.

If we can't question other people's opinions then what is the point? I am no different to anyone else, I happen to be a moderator, but I am just a supporter with my own views. If we all agreed then much of the debate on here would disappear.

I would like to see the club live within their means rather than chase success by spending money they haven't got. We've all seen clubs suffer as a result. If that means our natural position remains in the bottom half of this division until we get the extra income streams that the Wycombes of this world have, then so be it.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 80 - 92
marinerjase
August 23, 2016, 2:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
All well and good in theory..but there'll always be a case of spending money we haven't got. Will we own the new ground? Will we still be beholden to a director/directors/mystery backer/council/whomever?? If the new ground does get go ahead it doesn't necessarily follow that our financial status is automatically in a good state. (That's not to say it won't..in time)

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 92
Bigdog
August 23, 2016, 3:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GrimRob

I am as neutral as anyone else, I think the club will have done more research into the viability of a new ground than you, who haven't even extended your thoughts to the back of a cigarette packet by the sounds of it.

If we can't question other people's opinions then what is the point? I am no different to anyone else, I happen to be a moderator, but I am just a supporter with my own views. If we all agreed then much of the debate on here would disappear.

I would like to see the club live within their means rather than chase success by spending money they haven't got. We've all seen clubs suffer as a result. If that means our natural position remains in the bottom half of this division until we get the extra income streams that the Wycombes of this world have, then so be it.

Year ending 2015, Wycombe turned over £2.2m, we turned over just under £2m in the Conference. They had Football League payments, we didn't. They had Football League visiting supporters, we had hardly any in the Conference. We do now so I would say our turnover will be higher than theirs this season. It's this sort of resignation without the facts that really cheeses me off. Yes, we've been in the Conference for a while, but due to our home support this season we should have a top half turnover at the very least. To say our natural position in the Football League due to finances is bottom half in League Two is just plainly wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 92
GrimRob
August 23, 2016, 3:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Bigdog

Year ending 2015, Wycombe turned over £2.2m, we turned over just under £2m in the Conference. They had Football League payments, we didn't. We do now so I would say our turnover will be higher than theirs this season. It's this sort of resignation without the facts that really cheeses me off. Yes, we've been in the Conference for a while, but due to our home support this season we should have a top half turnover at the very least. To say our natural position in the Football League due to finances is bottom half in League Two is just plainly wrong.

Ironic that I was accusing someone else of "resignation without the facts" (about the new ground in his case) and now I get lumbered with it!

Thanks, I didn't know the figures for Wycombe, but I didn't say that our natural position was in the bottom half, I said if our finances meant that it ended up being there then "so be it".  I'd be very disappointed if we didn't spend every penny of our disposable income on trying to get as high up the table as we can, my only point is that we should try not to overspend unless it's budgeted for (the accusation made by the OP). I don't pretend to know where our budget would place us in the pecking order, I'd assume somewhere around halfway but I stand to be corrected.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 92
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 23, 2016, 3:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

Year ending 2015, Wycombe turned over £2.2m, we turned over just under £2m in the Conference. They had Football League payments, we didn't. We do now so I would say our turnover will be higher than theirs this season. It's this sort of resignation without the facts that really cheeses me off. Yes, we've been in the Conference for a while, but due to our home support this season we should have a top half turnover at the very least. To say our natural position in the Football League due to finances is bottom half in League Two is just plainly wrong.

Yes.

If we aim to be at the top of L2 we may end up in the bottom half.

If we accept our natural position is in the bottom half of L2 we WILL be in the bottom half of L2 ............ or worse.

Like I said before, nobody expects a sudden input of millions from a new fairy godfather investor or a takeover. The point is as much psychological as financial. Some final signings for the squad that indicate positive intent on the part of the board.  Something that tells the fans "We are prepared to push the boat out and go for the next level". Steady Eddie is not the way to success in football.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 92
MuddyWaters
August 23, 2016, 4:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235

Yes.

If we aim to be at the top of L2 we may end up in the bottom half.

If we accept our natural position is in the bottom half of L2 we WILL be in the bottom half of L2 ............ or worse.

Like I said before, nobody expects a sudden input of millions from a new fairy godfather investor or a takeover. The point is as much psychological as financial. Some final signings for the squad that indicate positive intent on the part of the board.  Something that tells the fans "We are prepared to push the boat out and go for the next level". Steady Eddie is not the way to success in football.

This is the thing that annoys me RRFC - our neighbours down the road seem to be taking that sort of initiative whilst we remain more bothered about saving pennies. Brings back the old adage about 'penny rich, pound thick'.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 92
chaos33
August 23, 2016, 4:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Good post RRFC. Broadly agree with Rob  though too and think he makes some good points on this thread.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 92
oldun
August 23, 2016, 4:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Amazing. All this talk about the club's finances and ambitions when few if any of us know any financial facts about the current situation. We don't know the budget, or how much is for playing staff. We do not know the salary structure or what income has been assumed. We don't know how much of the playing budget has already been spent, yet there are people suggesting the club can just go out and splash cash they may not have on players that may not be available or prepared to come here. All because we have lost 3 games. Had this not been the case this topic would not even be debated. Some people need a reality check and let those with the facts get on with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 92
Ipswin
August 23, 2016, 4:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
If our 'spending within our means' budget leads to our 'natural position' being in the bottom half then it is necessary to question whether it is false economy as lower half inevitably means lower attendances, in fact I think they will be seen to be dropping very soon and only an outside hope of the playoffs will turn them around again.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 92
Bigdog
August 23, 2016, 6:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from oldun
Amazing. All this talk about the club's finances and ambitions when few if any of us know any financial facts about the current situation. We don't know the budget, or how much is for playing staff. We do not know the salary structure or what income has been assumed. We don't know how much of the playing budget has already been spent, yet there are people suggesting the club can just go out and splash cash they may not have on players that may not be available or prepared to come here. All because we have lost 3 games. Had this not been the case this topic would not even be debated. Some people need a reality check and let those with the facts get on with it.

The majority of a club's income is home attendances coupled with the Football League payment which is the same for every club, so it is reasonable to assume that there is a correlation with playing budget which in turn should correlate with fan expectation. I'm guessing there's more expectation at Portsmouth than there is at Newport. The debate is ambition and whether we've got the personnel to get the best out of our budget.

PH has already said that he needs to add to the squad so there's no harm in hoping for game changing signings rather than squad fillers. I've seen enough of the players to think that two or three won't cut it if we're going to be successful at this level. Win. lose or draw it can be easy to see a player's shortcomings. So there's massive expectation from me that PH will get some signings in before the transfer window closes that will improve our starting XI.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Penny Pinching.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.