Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Penny Pinching.........
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 278 Guests

Penny Pinching.........

This thread currently has 10,893 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
TheCodfather1966
August 21, 2016, 3:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
I wonder if Town's penny pinching appoach to getting promotion will cost us again at the end of the season.  Yes I know it is far too early to press the panic button, but the signs are clearly there for all to see.  Did we honestly think plundering the likes of York and Boston would strengthen our team and indeed our chances in League 2........  not in my book.  Even though we have regained league status, our approach pre-season was dubious to say the least.  The guts of our team and the star players all departed, unrest in the camp, or purely down to money again, and our ability not to pay a decent wage.  Hells teeth, we even begrudge paying a mascot a few quid a week !!!

What is needed in my book is competiton for McKeown, a new centre half, and two new midfielders and a striker.  Our squad is thinner than tescos market value ham !!!  Unless we get bodies in and quickly our fight will be at the wrong end of the table.  Why is it that for every step GTFC takes forward, we go on to take two steps backward.  Would love to see some new directors at this football club, with positive attitudes and a forward thinking approach.  Expect to lose another 500 fans on Saturday with a crowd of 4,500 against Stevenage.FFS strengthen this team before we end up playing Lincoln City again !!!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Davec
August 21, 2016, 3:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
I said during pre season that I had heard the budget wasn't as high as Paul Hurst wanted, I heard Fenty onlyv gave him a 5% Increase in the budget, PH tried to negotiate and Fenty only gave him 5% extra so in reality only a 10% increase which is far too small in my opinion.

When I posted this I got shot down by people, well early signs look like I was correct...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 92
MuddyWaters
August 21, 2016, 3:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Davec
I said during pre season that I had heard the budget wasn't as high as Paul Hurst wanted, I heard Fenty onlyv gave him a 5% Increase in the budget, PH tried to negotiate and Fenty only gave him 5% extra so in reality only a 10% increase which is far too small in my opinion.

When I posted this I got shot down by people, well early signs look like I was correct...

Well I had heard that the Pope was a Catholic.....

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 92
fleabag1970
August 21, 2016, 4:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
I wonder if Town's penny pinching appoach to getting promotion will cost us again at the end of the season.  Yes I know it is far too early to press the panic button, but the signs are clearly there for all to see.  Did we honestly think plundering the likes of York and Boston would strengthen our team and indeed our chances in League 2........  not in my book.  Even though we have regained league status, our approach pre-season was dubious to say the least.  The guts of our team and the star players all departed, unrest in the camp, or purely down to money again, and our ability not to pay a decent wage.  Hells teeth, we even begrudge paying a mascot a few quid a week !!!

What is needed in my book is competiton for McKeown, a new centre half, and two new midfielders and a striker.  Our squad is thinner than tescos market value ham !!!  Unless we get bodies in and quickly our fight will be at the wrong end of the table.  Why is it that for every step GTFC takes forward, we go on to take two steps backward.  Would love to see some new directors at this football club, with positive attitudes and a forward thinking approach.  Expect to lose another 500 fans on Saturday with a crowd of 4,500 against Stevenage.FFS strengthen this team before we end up playing Lincoln City again !!!

UTM

This is the right kind of post !! This guy knows his stuff ... Remember its just his opinion , it might not be true though ............... From what ive heard my opinion isthat this poster has gone it spot on

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 92
fleabag1970
August 21, 2016, 4:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Davec

Spot on poster!!!  The 2/3 year contracts we have handed out to players has me worried . Gonna be a long hard season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 92
fleabag1970
August 21, 2016, 4:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
SOOOOOOOOOOO where is Dic@k Barton these days ????????????????

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 92
ginnywings
August 21, 2016, 4:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Managers always ask for more money, doesn't mean they should get it. I have no idea what our budget is or what wages we pay and i suspect very few do and to say we are penny pinching is nothing more than guesswork. We should in theory have a healthy budget as we are one of the better supported clubs in the division. Whether we have or not i don't know. It's an easy accusation to throw at the club.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 92
MuddyWaters
August 21, 2016, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings
Managers always ask for more money, doesn't mean they should get it. I have no idea what our budget is or what wages we pay and i suspect very few do and to say we are penny pinching is nothing more than guesswork. We should in theory have a healthy budget as we are one of the better supported clubs in the division. Whether we have or not i don't know. It's an easy accusation to throw at the club.

When you're next in with John you can ask him Ginny  
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 92
ginnywings
August 21, 2016, 4:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from MuddyWaters

When you're next in with John you can ask him Ginny  

I did mention it. Not a direct question but i said something along the lines of the budget being bigger and he said yes, but didn't say by how much. I then said that i suppose the players wages will be higher but he said there isn't that big a gap between non league and league 2 now and some non league clubs pay bigger wages than you would imagine. He also said contracts run longer in league football, so that adds to the expense.

Someone can ask him directly at the fans forum. I'm sure he'll give you an answer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 92
lew chaterleys lover
August 21, 2016, 5:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from TheCodfather1966

UTM

The guts of the non league team and its star players finished a poor 4th in the Conference.It seems Paul Hurst recognised their shortcomings and set out to get a new team with better players, and fair play to him for that.

If we had got the win our performance yesterday deserved we would have been comfortably mid table.

We have clearly got better players this season and hopefully they will get better results soon. I think the new players deserve to be cut a bit of slack at this stage - people at the game yesterday understood we were the better side but sometimes these things happen. We do need more bodies in, but I am sure that will be addressed.

I am not the most patient of people, but even I can see that it would be daft to go overboard after so few games; winning is everything but its fine lines isn't it? Had we not looked capable of competing I would be worried, but we have aquitted ourselves well but not got the results.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 92
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Penny Pinching.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.