Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Penny Pinching.........
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 148 Guests

Penny Pinching.........

This thread currently has 10,892 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
August 22, 2016, 9:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
I'm happy our club is owned by a true GTFC fan who's made his money out of fish. Mr Fenty's heart is in the right place no question. Watch a re-run of the play off final and you can tell he was giddy and excited. His mistakes have been honest ones. Newell and Woods were poor appointments and we would never have been down there bar a better appointment in place of Newell. I don't want my club to be owned by a Vegan Tw@t or a self obsessed tight Egyptian billionaire. If we finish mid table and we increase revenue more than expenditure then that is success IMO.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 92
Ipswin
August 22, 2016, 9:31am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Mariner_09
I don't want my club to be owned by a Vegan Tw@t or a self obsessed tight Egyptian billionaire. If we finish mid table and we increase revenue more than expenditure then that is success IMO.

What if we increase revenue but are relegated? Revenue sure as hell wouldn't increase again if we did

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 92
Ipswin
August 22, 2016, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from golfer
Am I thick or am I thick ?  I do not understand why as stated in various posts on several occasions that a 2 year deal takes more out of the budget than a 1 year deal. It seems common sense even for a 3 year old but then again I might just be thick.

Amond not looking the great signing or justifying his two years at Hartlepool by the sound of this from the 'Pools forum

'Where have you been Alfa?? Surely you must have heard of 'Podge' (Padraig Amond), our new 30-goal per season striker, the clubs summer 'marquee' signing snatched from non-league during the summer? Did you not hear about yesterday's winning goal that came as a direct result of 'Podges' gaffe who made absolutely no attempt to recover the ball from the 'fat bloke' aka Notts County's Laing who shunted him aside and was then permitted to run 60-70 metres through defence/midfield that opened up like the proverbial Dead Sea? .

Don't get me wrong, I still think'Podge' can do a job for Pools if only as an impact sub but a) he needs to grow a pair and b) needs to start putting a bit of effort into his game instead of strutting about like one of those overpaid tarts who represented 'England' this summer. If he gets even 25% of the goals that he amassed in the donkeys league last season I for one will be amazed however.'

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 92
MuddyWaters
August 22, 2016, 9:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm happy our club is owned by a true GTFC fan who's made his money out of fish. Mr Fenty's heart is in the right place no question. Watch a re-run of the play off final and you can tell he was giddy and excited. His mistakes have been honest ones. Newell and Woods were poor appointments and we would never have been down there bar a better appointment in place of Newell. I don't want my club to be owned by a Vegan Tw@t or a self obsessed tight Egyptian billionaire. If we finish mid table and we increase revenue more than expenditure then that is success IMO.

I'll be more than happy if we finish mid-table, I'll be even happier with that outcome if we don't increase our debt but the consequences of going back down again aren't even worth considering. With that in mind, I don't really care who funds our club so long as we maintain league status.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 92
ginnywings
August 22, 2016, 10:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from malkamalka

We have a Chairman?

What's in a name?

Getting back to the whole budget thing, it's a balancing act isn't it? As the first game of the season shows, we have the capability to attract 6000 fans, but keeping those fans with a side that is losing is not going to happen. Second attendance already down by over 20% and is likely to drop further for the Stevenage game. That's a lot of lost revenue and if we continue to struggle, we will level off around 3500 again in all probability. Do you speculate to accumulate by throwing money at better players and hope the fans come through the turnstiles to pay for the extra outlay, or do you set a budget that is covered by a lower average attendance and hope the players you have can win enough games to keep the gate at a level that exceeds expectations and therefore not have to keep the club afloat with benign loans?

Do you want a club run on a sound financial footing, or a club that shoots for the stars with possibility that you crash and burn. I'm hoping that the board learned it's lesson from our demise into non league and we look to build slowly and surely toward some sort of equilibrium. The last time we were in the league, it got crazy with the amount of players coming in and stealing a wage.

We now need to establish ourselves back in the league, with a good youth system, steady management on and off the pitch and hopefully a new stadium in the not too distant future. A certain amount of trust and patience is required but i know that's difficult for fans given what has happened over the last ten years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 92
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 22, 2016, 10:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mariner_09
If we finish mid table and we increase revenue more than expenditure then that is success IMO.

Not in mine it isn't. Finishing in the playoffs might suffice.

If all you aim for is mid-table stability you can rest assured you will have a relegation battle to watch at the end of the season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 92
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 22, 2016, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

What's in a name?

Getting back to the whole budget thing, it's a balancing act isn't it? As the first game of the season shows, we have the capability to attract 6000 fans, but keeping those fans with a side that is losing is not going to happen. Second attendance already down by over 20% and is likely to drop further for the Stevenage game. That's a lot of lost revenue and if we continue to struggle, we will level off around 3500 again in all probability. Do you speculate to accumulate by throwing money at better players and hope the fans come through the turnstiles to pay for the extra outlay, or do you set a budget that is covered by a lower average attendance and hope the players you have can win enough games to keep the gate at a level that exceeds expectations and therefore not have to keep the club afloat with benign loans?

Do you want a club run on a sound financial footing, or a club that shoots for the stars with possibility that you crash and burn. I'm hoping that the board learned it's lesson from our demise into non league and we look to build slowly and surely toward some sort of equilibrium. The last time we were in the league, it got crazy with the amount of players coming in and stealing a wage.

We now need to establish ourselves back in the league, with a good youth system, steady management on and off the pitch and hopefully a new stadium in the not too distant future. A certain amount of trust and patience is required but i know that's difficult for fans given what has happened over the last ten years.

There is an alternative scenario Ginny. The major shareholder finally manages to put his personal feelings aside and convince someone else with money to come on board. With extra investment we could establish ourselves at least one league higher and I for one would feel a lot more comfortable there than fannying about after a mid-table spot in L2 on some sort of consolidation mission. Consolidation does not win games. Decent players win games.

A new ground is not going to be an income stream unless there are more people at the games. There will not be decent gates to support expenditure unless the club shows ambition and looks as though it may be on the up. That's human nature. York's new ground won't do them much good in the Conference will it?

My worry is that we go back to this "live within our means" kick again. Sometimes you do have to speculate to accumulate and in football there simply is no standing still.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 92
ginnywings
August 22, 2016, 10:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538

There is an alternative scenario Ginny. The major shareholder finally manages to put his personal feelings aside and convince someone else with money to come on board. With extra investment we could establish ourselves at least one league higher and I for one would feel a lot more comfortable there than fannying about after a mid-table spot in L2 on some sort of consolidation mission. Consolidation does not win games. Decent players win games.

A new ground is not going to be an income stream unless there are more people at the games. There will not be decent gates to support expenditure unless the club shows ambition and looks as though it may be on the up. That's human nature. York's new ground won't do them much good in the Conference will it?

My worry is that we go back to this "live within our means" kick again. Sometimes you do have to speculate to accumulate and in football there simply is no standing still.

That was the gist of my post really. Which way is the right way?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 92
Davec
August 22, 2016, 10:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
The club estimate that attendances will see a 20% increase from last season, (or that is what it said on one of the documents on the new stadium which was posted on here ) so my point is, why is the budget only 10% higher, if my source is correct, don't forget ticket prices has rose so that is even more income.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 92
Cloudy
August 22, 2016, 11:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I cannot see anyone coming in with real money to work alongside Mr Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Penny Pinching.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.