Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Penny Pinching.........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Penny Pinching.........

This thread currently has 10,956 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 22, 2016, 1:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548

Do you even want us to do well? Surely its common courtesy to give a team/squad that have not played badly at all some settling in time? The tables don't mean a thing at this stage - one win and we would be mid table.

I think Swin enjoys being a curmudgeon. He is very good at it but i bet he's an old softy that cried at Wembley the same as the rest of us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 92
Ipswin
August 22, 2016, 2:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings

I think Swin enjoys being a curmudgeon. He is very good at it but i bet he's an old softy that cried at Wembley the same as the rest of us.  

Too bloody right I did but having supported GTFC since Christmas Day 1958 I have learned, only too often, that as far as the Mariners are concerned, expecting everything to turn out alright leads only to great disappointment. Blind stupid optimism is painful

I am quite happy to admit that when the poll was put up about Hurst's continuing tenure as manager I voted that he should not carry on after the end of the season even if we were promoted. I still hold that view although of course it is not PC to say so as we managed to scramble up by the skin of our teeth. I am still of the opinion that Hurst is not a Div 2 level manager and is out of his comfort zone and his new team will sadly prove that

I desperately hope I am proved wrong but I state my thoughts now so as not to be accused of jumping on the bandwagon later when, if things do go mammaries up, others start to air the same view.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 92
MuddyWaters
August 22, 2016, 2:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Cloudy
I cannot see anyone coming in with real money to work alongside Mr Fenty.

Wow! Bit early in the season for that old chestnut!

Suffice to say that can of worms has been done to death on here. I've reconciled myself by doing the 'What would I want if I were JF?' argument. I guess I'd want as much of my cash back as it were reasonable to get, given that I've not deliberately set out to make mistakes along the way and basically bankrolled the club through some pretty hard times.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 92
ginnywings
August 22, 2016, 3:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Fair do's Swin and i also wanted Hurst gone but i believe that he deserves a chance at the league and i'm nailing my colours to the mast now also and think we will do ok this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 92
Cloudy
August 22, 2016, 3:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Wow! Bit early in the season for that old chestnut!

Suffice to say that can of worms has been done to death on here. I've reconciled myself by doing the 'What would I want if I were JF?' argument. I guess I'd want as much of my cash back as it were reasonable to get, given that I've not deliberately set out to make mistakes along the way and basically bankrolled the club through some pretty hard times.

Nothing to do with the time of season or year.

I do not think anyone would any clout would work with Mr Fenty. Successful businessmen generally make decisions/take risks and do it their way. They are not comfortable sharing things when push comes to shove.

If someone with significant weakth came along and offered King John 50/75% of his loans back in cash AND showed he had the money to invest in improving the club then I think John would seriously consider it. Just cannot see anyone working alongside him
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 92
Ipswin
August 22, 2016, 4:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings
Fair do's Swin and i also wanted Hurst gone but i believe that he deserves a chance at the league and i'm nailing my colours to the mast now also and think we will do ok this season.

Desperately hope you are right nothing (apart  from Arnold's goal) would please me more

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 92
MuddyWaters
August 22, 2016, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Cloudy

Nothing to do with the time of season or year.

I do not think anyone would any clout would work with Mr Fenty. Successful businessmen generally make decisions/take risks and do it their way. They are not comfortable sharing things when push comes to shove.

If someone with significant weakth came along and offered King John 50/75% of his loans back in cash AND showed he had the money to invest in improving the club then I think John would seriously consider it. Just cannot see anyone working alongside him

Agree. Mike Parker springs to mind. I guess we will never know unless or until someone does come along with a shitload of cash.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 92
Fishy_fishtails
August 22, 2016, 4:44pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: -345
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm happy our club is owned by a true GTFC fan who's made his money out of fish. Mr Fenty's heart is in the right place no question. Watch a re-run of the play off final and you can tell he was giddy and excited. His mistakes have been honest ones. Newell and Woods were poor appointments and we would never have been down there bar a better appointment in place of Newell. I don't want my club to be owned by a Vegan Tw@t or a self obsessed tight Egyptian billionaire. If we finish mid table and we increase revenue more than expenditure then that is success IMO.

Wholeheartedly agree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 92
golfer
August 22, 2016, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from friskneymariner
Hope they are not going to charge us £5 a match to park a la Wycombe.

Of course they will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 92
Bigdog
August 22, 2016, 11:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm happy our club is owned by a true GTFC fan who's made his money out of fish. Mr Fenty's heart is in the right place no question. Watch a re-run of the play off final and you can tell he was giddy and excited. His mistakes have been honest ones. Newell and Woods were poor appointments and we would never have been down there bar a better appointment in place of Newell. I don't want my club to be owned by a Vegan Tw@t or a self obsessed tight Egyptian billionaire. If we finish mid table and we increase revenue more than expenditure then that is success IMO.

It's not success is it? It's meh, and unfortunately not every Town fan is as committed in their support as most on here. Mid-table would be a relief at this stage with how we are playing, but being mid-table means losing a lot of games and the casual supporter will drift away. So next season less budget due to decreased turnstile revenue to keep the success of staying in profit going. I don't advocate the club living beyond its means but at the same time having mid-table as a target of success has its dangers. We are probably going to have a top eight income due to home attendances so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that eighth is where we should expect to finish. Lower then it's relative failure, higher then that's what I call success. If we don't achieve this either our manager isn't good enough or our board isn't giving him enough of the income cake. I know we are all relieved to be back and I think it's clouding our expectations a little. If we are in the bottom half or fighting a relegation battle I'll be really disappointed and no size of positive number on a profit and loss account will make it any better.

So say we make a little profit and mid-fable this season. What are the aims the season after? It can only be the same again surely. Nothing's changed so we can't aim for higher with the same or worse budget scenario. If you think we should then why not this season. It's a feeling of relief that's decreasing expectations rather than the thinking that all teams this season start in the same position, Portsmouth biggest budget then Plymouth etc. To wish away a season on mediocrity is a waste of a season and gives those who are in charge or paid to win games for the club a leeway of relative failure..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Penny Pinching.........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.