cardiffmariner
September 24, 2011, 1:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,320
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from psgmariner

I hear your pain! What a torturous thread this! Not sure what else you can to do explain things...

For what it's worth I think the Trust have tried extremely hard and we should be all thankful for the time they have put in and the money they have raised. Raising £20,000 odd is a fantastic achievement and something to be proud of.

However, I do have reservations. Fan ownership is an ideal that does not stack up to me and I would far rather have a wealthy businessman in charge than a group of fans with no experience of running multi million pound businesses. With such a large number of people with vested interests nothing is anything simple.

I would rather that the Trust was there as a fans voice and a money making vehicle. Taking over the club is an unrealistic target which I would not be in favour of. The only event in which I would want to see the Trust running the club would be if we went pop and started again in the local leagues.

WHS.

80's, it is abundently clear you have no intention of actually doing anything productive so why dont you just shut up and let those who do want to do something get on with it.  I have nothing but respect for those involved with the Trust and your constant criticism and unbelievable nit-picking contributes nothing to any potential future it has.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
Super Clive
September 24, 2011, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
80s Glory is spot on.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
80sglory
September 24, 2011, 9:45pm
Guest User
tarka,

From a marketing point of view, any "product" out there on the WWW needs to sell itself to potential customers - in this case GTFC supporters.
All I'm trying to do is to suggest ways that GTST can improve their communication through their website to make it as successful as it can be to help GTFC.

With all due respect, how difficult is it to understand that you giving me those answers on the fishy isn't the solution ?!
Forgive me but why do I get the impression you're deliberately not listening ?
Quoted from tarka
Prepare to have your message disectected!!

Are sarcastic comments like this mean to endear people to GTST ?
Quoted from tarka
As far as the real world is concerned....yes, some people can't be bothered, that's why the Trust is dormant.  If people can't be bothered then that is fine...forget it!

You see you've got overly defensive for no need...
Sure I might not have held back with the criticism but isn't it better everyone gets a wake up call NOW with some genuine feedback before they march ahead and potentially waste time later ?
Bit of a cheek if you ask me - tbh as a POTENTIAL CUSTOMER and someone who's WILLING TO HELP, I think I'm doing you all a BIG favour pointing these important things out !  
Quoted from tarka
Emma has come on here and basically set the scene...it is now up to the supporters to decide if they want to do anything about it!

What on earth does that mean ?!
Haven't I just spent my own time trying to make suggestions to help ?
Again I'm so so sorry to "criticize" but there's more to successful projects than showing willing and licking a few envelopes !

Be honest, did GTST fizzle out because people couldn't be bothered or because there was no underlying strategy so they couldn't think of any work to do ?
Quoted from tarka
Oh....and what is this lengthy democratic process you are talking about?

Lengthy and convoluted was the impression I got reading the website but it really doesn't matter.
All I was trying to say was that supporters may simply wish to donate without being (able to be) involved in GTST.
If I donate to Oxfam I don't need to volunteer or vote for them to know where the money is going ?
I've already made my points about that - feel disappointed you just don't seem to be taking any of them on board.  
Quoted from psgmariner
For what it's worth I think the Trust have tried extremely hard and we should be all thankful for the time they have put in and the money they have raised. Raising £20,000 odd is a fantastic achievement and something to be proud of.

So do I !!!
Everyone's done a great job but in the long-run it's counter-productive to tiptoe around on eggshells just because people can't handle a bit (or tbf a lot) of criticism.
Emma says you'll have to put up personal abuse, maybe she should expand it ?
Tell you what, none of you would last more than 1 minute on The Apprentice !
You'd be accusing Alan Sugar of "negativity".  
Quoted from Dan
To be frank, I don't think you actually have a clue. You suggest it's a great idea to get people to put all their coppers in a jar, put them in a constar machine and hand over a cheque, but deride a fully formed legal and provident society with proper accountability.

Not deriding anyone - trying to help them become MORE successful !
The fact you've mentioned "hand over a cheque" shows you've completely missed the whole point !
Got ZERO to do with the amount or means of money making either.
And don't ask "Well what is the point then ?"
Jesus wept I've spent hours trying to get people to understand the difference between fans "having a real say" and raising money just to hand over a cheque to John Fenty - I can do that myself at the club shop !
Quoted from Dan
The best way this can go is to leave the messageboards, organise a meeting where non-members can sign up on the day, and commit themselves to whatever skills they have.

Sorry I just can't make it.
You'll be relieved to know that rules me out then, so well done !   
How very convenient for you all ?  
Quoted from psgmariner
Fan ownership is an ideal that does not stack up to me and I would far rather have a wealthy businessman in charge than a group of fans with no experience of running multi million pound businesses. With such a large number of people with vested interests nothing is anything simple.

Who said anything about fan ownership ?
Is that what GTST are scared of ?
Anyway, try to telling all that to AFC Wimbledon !
Quoted from psgmariner
I would rather that the Trust was there as a fans voice and a money making vehicle.

So would I !!
Any ideas ?
Or is the fishy out of bounds for discussion and you're saving them all for the meeting ?

Fact is, it's not a real fans voice if only GTST members get to decide because many fans won't be able to make it.
I'll look forward to how you might be able to accomodate me ! (not)
Quoted from psgmariner
Taking over the club is an unrealistic target which I would not be in favour of.

Who mentioned "taking over the club" ?  
Stop deliberately twisting things !  
Quoted from cardiffmariner
80's, it is abundently clear you have no intention of actually doing anything productive so why dont you just shut up and let those who do want to do something get on with it.

Complete and utter rubbish ! Why don't YOU shut up instead ?    

Bloody typical - tarka says "it's up to the supporters" then when supporters come forward and offer ideas with a bit of criticism to help improve things, they're accused of being "negative" and "unwilling to help".  

I always used to imagine The Grimbarian was a complete joke, but now I'm starting to wonder if he's actually right !!!  
Reply: 42 - 52
ginnywings
September 24, 2011, 9:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
My brain hurts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
pizzzza
September 24, 2011, 9:58pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Utterly cringe-worthy...
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
80sglory
September 24, 2011, 10:00pm
Guest User
Don't be a cheapskate and drink Special Brew then.  
Reply: 45 - 52
80sglory
September 24, 2011, 10:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from pizzzza
Utterly cringe-worthy...

Says the person who's got a pair of greasy breasts in his profile.
Reply: 46 - 52
Super Clive
September 24, 2011, 10:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from 1600

Says the person who's got a pair of greasy breasts in his profile.

I like your thinking 80s, great post.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
Grim_Exile
September 25, 2011, 4:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +6 / 0
FAO 80sglory

Thanks for taking the time to post with your views and ideas about what GTST could do in order to make itself a more attractive proposition to GTFC supporters (ref, your original post September 23, 2011, 6:12pm).  
I appreciate that there have been a number of responses to your queries to date, however I felt I should at least have the good manners to respond to your questions and comments myself.  I apologise for it being a couple of days after my original post, however like the good housewife I am, I have had domestic matters to attend to  .

I’ve tried to pick the key questions out of your original post and address them one by one

1.     “..sounds fair enough, but how does it actually translate into benefitting the club if I were to join ?”

When the Trust was first set up in 2002, we had to specify some objectives to be detailed within the Society rules.  I have outlined these below – the first six (from memory) were suggested by Supporters Direct within the ‘model’ rules that were provided.  These were all hotly debated at the time, and I believe that we all agreed that they outlined well what we were hoping GTST would achieve.  The final objective was added by ourselves.

“The Society’s objects are, either itself or through a subsidiary company or society trading for the
benefit of the community and acting under its control:
i. to strengthen the bonds between the Club and the community which it serves and to
represent the interests of the community in the running of the Club;
ii. to benefit present and future members of the community served by the Club by
promoting encouraging and furthering the game of football as a recreational facility,
sporting activity and focus for community involvement;
iii. to further the development of the game of football nationally and internationally and
the upholding of its rules;
iv. to encourage the Club to take proper account of the interests of its supporters and of
the community it serves in its decisions;
v. to encourage and promote the principle of supporter representation on the board of
any company owning or controlling the Club and ultimately to be the vehicle for
democratic elections to the board;
vi. to promote, develop and respect the rights of members of the community served by
the Club and people dealing with the Society as set out in the Charter of Fundamental
Rights of the European Union, having regard in particular to the need to provide
information to members and conduct the affairs of the Society in accessible and
appropriate ways;
vii. to invest in the future of the Club both by assisting the Club in any way in connection
with youth coaching schemes and by encouraging younger supporters”.

Initially, GTST very much focussed on acquiring shares in GTFC.  Membership subscriptions and monies raised from other events (race nights, quiz nights etc) went towards share acquisition.  After a couple of years we decided to poll the members on what they wanted GTST to be doing with the funds raised – the response was investment in the youth setup.  Some articles that outline this can be found below – we have also continued to sponsor youth team players each season.
http://www.gtst.net/site/content/view/223/2/
http://www.gtst.net/site/content/view/269/2/

These objectives were, I feel, right for 2002, but may not be so right for 2011.  There is room in the constitution to make amend to these, however as with all democratic organisations changes have to be proposed, voted upon and agreed.  

2.  “What does the £15/year membership actually pay for? The running cost of GTST, GTFC shares, GTST voting rights ? “

Each member of GTST has one share in GTST (and therefore a single vote in any matters that are put to a vote).  Nominally, £1 of the annual membership fee pays for that one share.  There are administrative costs associated with running GTST (for example, we are required by law to submit audited accounts each year, and thus have to pay for auditing/examination), although we have always tried to keep these to a minimum.  Some investment has been made in the past in merchandise which has been sold at a profit.  Any resulting profits are put towards the objectives outlined above.  As previously mentioned, this has been focussed primarily on the youth setup in the last few years.

3.  “What advantage is there to buying shares via GTST and not the club ?”

It entirely depends on what your motives are.  The main advantage is that shares are held by the Supporters Trust, and not by any single individual.  GTST are entitled to attend the AGM and use the voting rights associated with any shares acquired in any matters that are put to vote.  The ideal is that the GTST member base would determine the way in which GTST votes in such matters (thus ensuring that the organisation is entirely democratic), however this has proved to be challenging in the past (although I am sure there are technical solutions that can resolve this).  In addition, GTST members can assign their proxy votes attached to any shares they may hold personally to GTST, thus increasing the number of votes that GTST has.  I appreciate that where we have two major shareholders in John Fenty and Mike Parker then this this is still a drop in the ocean, but I hope the principle is clear.

4.  “What issues do you vote on ?”.

Assuming this question relates to football club issues, then please see above.

5.  “HOW DOES ALL YOUR WORK ULTIMATELY BENEFIT THE SUPPORTERS OR THE CLUB ?”

I hope I have gone some way to answering this question.  Ultimately though, the benefits materialise thus:
•     Supporting the club financially
•     Having a say – albeit a small one – in matters that impact upon supporters.  As outlined in my original post, GTST were often consulted on matters that affected fans in the past.

6.  "I can be a member and have a say in an organisation that I don't know what it does or how it benefits the club or it's supporters ?"

I’ll draw your attention to the following sentence from my original post “At this moment in time, GTST could be described as dormant, at best”.  

When GTST was more active, we communicated regularly via the website, via member newsletters / email and via a column in the matchday programme about what we were up to.  At the present moment, there is not a lot to report, but if (and this is a big if) there were enough people willing to get involved, that could be easily rectified.

I absolutely take your point about communication; however this isn’t something I can do by myself.  Again, I will reference my original post “From experience, I envisage that it would take 15/20 willing volunteers with a good mix of skills to get things moving”.  Because GTST is an Industrial and Provident Society, and governed by the FSA, there is a lot of administrative work that has to be done to meet certain obligations, and these things can be pretty time consuming.  It’s best to spread the load as much as possible, else the burden is naturally placed on the shoulders of too few who just get fed up with being dumped upon.

For the final time, I will refer you back to my original post “I don’t think it’s my place to dictate what happens next, but maybe going back to square one wouldn’t be such a bad idea?”.  So yes, I absolutely agree that going back to basics would be a good idea and possibly a good starting point for the next chapter of GTST.

Finally, it’s clear that you have given this some considerable thought and have many valid points to make.  Assuming that a meeting is arranged in the next couple of weeks, I hope you could find the time to come along and get involved, and help to turn those thoughts and ideas into action.

Emma Blackbourn
GTST Chair
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
Grim_Exile
September 25, 2011, 4:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Quoted Text
Emma says you'll have to put up personal abuse, maybe she should expand it ?

Apart from the fact that females in football always seem to attract comments from the less forward thinking members of society, I specifically recieved personal abuse in reaction to an interview I gave to the GET prior to the Burton game.  Having read some of the 'we're gonna smash the town up' posts on here prior to the match, I responded to a question by the reporter about my thoughts should relegation be the outcome - my response was an appeal for calm.  For some reason, a few people thought this was utterly ludicrous.  Hey Ho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTST - The Past, The Present, The Future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.