Googlebot and 168 Guests

GTST - The Past, The Present, The Future

This thread currently has 4,318 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 24, 2011, 1:42am
Guest User
I appreciate the information tarka.  

I wasn't criticizing the Trust, I just didn't know all that because I had no prior knowledge.

The fact you've now told me is great - I wish it was explained on the website !

May I ask:

What does £15 yearly membership pay for ? Is that just to be a member ?
Where does money donated to the trust go ?
Reply: 30 - 52
tarka
September 24, 2011, 1:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from 1600
I appreciate the information tarka.  

I wasn't criticizing the Trust, I just didn't know all that because I had no prior knowledge.

May I ask:

What does £15 yearly membership pay for ? Is that just to be a member ?
Where does money donated to the trust go ?

Apart from running costs the money goes towards whatever the membership chooses...as I say, in recent times that has been the youth set up.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
tarka
September 24, 2011, 1:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600

It is!

http://www.gtst.net/site/content/view/40/53/

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
80sglory
September 24, 2011, 4:48am
Guest User
Quoted from tarka

No it isn't !  

I was referring to your fishy comments about where the money went or where it's meant to be going.

You can come on here and explain it to me as if I'm thick as two short planks and meant to bow my head in shame, but nowhere on the site could I see :
(and forgive me if I've missed it but isn't it up to the website to grab my attention ?)

- where the money has been spent
- how GTFC has actually benefitted.
- where future donations will or might be used.

The only thing I saw was how many shares the trust have and how much it had raised. (and well done but just think how much potential there is !)

If I wish to make a donation then short of becoming a member and taking part in a lengthy democratic process(none of which is explained in any real depth), then I still have no influence or idea on where my money would go.

As someone who would ACTUALLY BE WILLING(!) to donate to a cause that could specifically benefit GTFC in some particular area, forgive me for saying I remain totally unconvinced and feel a lot more inclined to give my money directly to the club ! Or better, save it for the club for the future...

And it's all well and good saying GTST needs to revived, but it's ironic no-one connected with GTST has said WHY. (tbf Emma said "be mobilised in times of crisis")

But it's pretty obvious what I'm saying - to be successful GTST needs clearer goals, better presentation and more transparency to non-members
i.e. the average supporter with money ready to spend on-line who may lack the time, patience or ability to embroil themselves in GTST's inner workings.

PS Dare I also live in the REAL WORLD and point out some supporters may not even be bothered to write a cheque or address an envelope ?  
Reply: 33 - 52
tarka
September 24, 2011, 5:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Oh I give up 80's....you wanted to know what the Trust was about, you obviously had no idea so I pointed you to the FAQ page of the site. I've already said that funds in the past have gone on buying shares and the youth set up...future investments would be decided by the members.

"You can come on here and explain it to me as if I'm thick as two short planks and meant to bow my head in shame"  No I haven't...I've answered your questions and tried to point you in the right direction for info...now give over!

As far as the real world is concerned....yes, some people can't be bothered, that's why the Trust is dormant.  If people can't be bothered then that is fine...forget it! Emma has come on here and basically set the scene...it is now up to the supporters to decide if they want to do anything about it!

Oh....and what is this lengthy democratic process you are talking about?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
psgmariner
September 24, 2011, 7:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from tarka
Oh I give up 80's....you wanted to know what the Trust was about, you obviously had no idea so I pointed you to the FAQ page of the site. I've already said that funds in the past have gone on buying shares and the youth set up...future investments would be decided by the members.

"You can come on here and explain it to me as if I'm thick as two short planks and meant to bow my head in shame"  No I haven't...I've answered your questions and tried to point you in the right direction for info...now give over!

As far as the real world is concerned....yes, some people can't be bothered, that's why the Trust is dormant.  If people can't be bothered then that is fine...forget it! Emma has come on here and basically set the scene...it is now up to the supporters to decide if they want to do anything about it!

Oh....and what is this lengthy democratic process you are talking about?

I hear your pain! What a torturous thread this! Not sure what else you can to do explain things...

For what it's worth I think the Trust have tried extremely hard and we should be all thankful for the time they have put in and the money they have raised. Raising £20,000 odd is a fantastic achievement and something to be proud of.

However, I do have reservations. Fan ownership is an ideal that does not stack up to me and I would far rather have a wealthy businessman in charge than a group of fans with no experience of running multi million pound businesses. With such a large number of people with vested interests nothing is anything simple.

I would rather that the Trust was there as a fans voice and a money making vehicle. Taking over the club is an unrealistic target which I would not be in favour of. The only event in which I would want to see the Trust running the club would be if we went pop and started again in the local leagues.

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
tarka
September 24, 2011, 8:15am
Table Wine Drinker
I don't think I would argue with that....it was never our intention to run the Club....rather to have a voice and to a certain extent we achieved that.  By the way, the figure was well over £30,000 but only £22,000 went in shares.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
TownSNAFU5
September 24, 2011, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42

I am a fully paid-up member of the Trust since the start.  I travelled to the initial meeting in Cleethorpes from North Yorkshire on a very foggy night.   I have also attended one annual Trust meeting in the Lower Smiths.

I have work, family, sporting and other commitments that allow no spare time for the Trust. I would offer to help with the admin if I could.  I don't live in the Grimsby area either.

Dave, Emma and the other Committee have done an excellent job.  Particularly, considering that they have had very little support from non-Trust Town fans.  Apathy and even some hostility have been evident.  You would think sometimes that the Trust was set up to support Scunny.

Most of the Trust Committee members are exiles.  If some local fans could each do their bit, then the Trust can move forward.  We might need it more in the future.  Who knows?

Whatever happens, well done the Committee members for all the hard work that you have unselfishly managed to fit in for the good of the Club, whilst leading busy lives. The silent majority recognise and appreciate your efforts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
Dan
September 24, 2011, 1:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
With all due respect 80's (which is very little) your negativity in this thread has probably already put off any chance this had of going anywhere. It might be the case that the goals aren't clear (I disagree) but surely getting people involved to help articulate a direction - or a new direction is a good thing.

To be frank, I don't think you actually have a clue. You suggest it's a great idea to get people to put all their coppers in a jar, put them in a constar machine and hand over a cheque, but deride a fully formed legal and provident society with proper accountability.

The best way this can go is to leave the messageboards, organise a meeting where non-members can sign up on the day, and commit themselves to whatever skills they have.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
tarka
September 24, 2011, 1:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Dan
With all due respect 80's (which is very little) your negativity in this thread has probably already put off any chance this had of going anywhere. It might be the case that the goals aren't clear (I disagree) but surely getting people involved to help articulate a direction - or a new direction is a good thing.

To be frank, I don't think you actually have a clue. You suggest it's a great idea to get people to put all their coppers in a jar, put them in a constar machine and hand over a cheque, but deride a fully formed legal and provident society with proper accountability.

The best way this can go is to leave the messageboards, organise a meeting where non-members can sign up on the day, and commit themselves to whatever skills they have.

Prepare to have your message disectected!!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTST - The Past, The Present, The Future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.