6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
tarka
September 23, 2011, 6:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Well, the sad fact is that Trusts always flourish in adversity. Let's hope that's the case here.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
Wrawby_Mariner
September 23, 2011, 6:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The hardest thing facing the Trust in my opinion  is that fact the gates have just about halved since the last time they were Active on a regular basis.

Having said that, could an active and 'fun' trust bring people back into the circle?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 11 - 52
1mickylyons
September 23, 2011, 6:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

Having said that, could an active and 'fun' trust bring people back into the circle?

Yes it could but take this kids go free offer the Club have got on for tomorrow hardly anyone knows about it and worse still those that do cant be bothered to attend in any numbers yet come 5pm tomorrow if Town lose they will be allover this messageboard gloating about money saved.Town fans need to spread the message via workplaces etc and try and get back some of those missing fans that DO care about the Club and want to see it restored to the Football League and more importantly have a voice on the board that can stop ego maniacs putting the very existance at stake with there petty squabbles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
cmackenzie4
September 23, 2011, 6:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
I would be more than willing to both attend and contribute anything I can.

Me too

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
voice of reason
September 23, 2011, 6:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
That was a great post Grim Exile... I would be willing to attend a meeting to see what idea's we can come up with to move the trust on...

I think the other thing we need to work out is, how can we get the message out to other fans who are not members of the fishy, that the trust is trying to gauge support and how fans could put themselves forward if they are interested... I would say the telegraph and radio but I suppose these could be costly unless the trust already has some contacts that would be able to help with this...???

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
tarka
September 23, 2011, 6:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from voice of reason
That was a great post Grim Exile... I would be willing to attend a meeting to see what idea's we can come up with to move the trust on...

I think the other thing we need to work out is, how can we get the message out to other fans who are not members of the fishy, that the trust is trying to gauge support and how fans could put themselves forward if they are interested... I would say the telegraph and radio but I suppose these could be costly unless the trust already has some contacts that would be able to help with this...???

I can sort these things out...and I will.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
tarka
September 23, 2011, 6:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
I forgot to add...that's if you want me to Emma...sorry!!!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
Grim_Exile
September 23, 2011, 6:28pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Thanks VOR - back in 2002, that first meeting was (from memory) limited to messageboard members.  Once we had an initial body of volunteers we then allocated tasks and used our contacts to spead the word further.

Edit - I've just seen Daves reply.  Once a meeting date / time / location has been agreed then yes - using local media to publicise would be great!  The more the merrier!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
80sglory
September 23, 2011, 7:12pm
Guest User
Emma thankyou.

Without wishing to lay any blame whatsoever I would like to make a few suggestions.

I suggested myself on the fishy that fans should save their small change long term WHILST STILL SUPPORTING THE CLUB in any case of future emergency.
The idea being they did not hand over a single penny to anyone, just collectively saved until such time they could have a "democratic" say where the money would go.
The response was disappointing.

However since you are in a much more respected and powerful position, I would like to offer my own observations as an outsider who would be more than willing to volunteer or join in principle, but is not currently convinced.

Put it this way - if you can't convince me then what real chance have you got with the average apathetic fan ?

Please bear in mind my intention is NEVER to belittle your ideas, willingness or hard work, just to raise some issues that could help to get this thing off the ground again.

Ok here we go....

Firstly, having viewed your website, I don't actually know what the organisation is meant to do !!!  
http://www.gtst.net/site/content/view/40/53/

"give supporters an ownership stake in their club and a voice in its affairs"
sounds fair enough, but how does it actually translate into benefitting the club if I were to join ?

All I seem to know is you somehow acquire shares ?

- What does does the £15/year membership actually pay for ? The running cost of GTST, GTFC shares, GTST voting rights ?
- What advantage is there to buying shares via GTST and not the club ?
- What issues do you vote on ?
- HOW DOES ALL YOUR WORK ULTIMATELY BENEFIT THE SUPPORTERS OR THE CLUB ?

To be frank, this bit summed it all up for me:

"4. WHAT BENEFITS ARE THERE TO GTST MEMBERSHIP?

As a GTST member you have a full say in deciding GTST policy. You also participate in the election of GTST's directors, can stand for election yourself, and have a vote on all GTST policies. You can attend and speak at the GTST AGM as well as other members' events.
We also publish a regular GTST news magazine for all members. Initially this is biannual but we'll increase frequency as GTST membership grows."

That's all fine, but the impression I am left with is...

"I can be a member and have a say in an organisation that I don't know what it does or how it benefits the club or it's supporters ?"

I would suggest you (or we if the idea is to include as many fans as possible) need to:

- be clear what your message is
- communicate it a lot better.
- have a GOAL

Another problem with truly democratic organisations is the fine line between democracy and "not wanting to take over" and showing leadership.

This can end up losing focus on the actual goal and becoming tied up in knots in organising the organisation itself.

I would never wish to belittle any attempts at trying to rally support, but might it be worth going right back to SQUARE 1 and engaging as many fans in dialogue about the aims of GTST before asking others to "show willing" on something they don't actually know what it will be for ?

Or can you enlighten me and others what GTST is and how it could make a difference to GTFC ?

Many thanks.
Reply: 18 - 52
Will Haddock
September 23, 2011, 10:22pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -32
For clarity 80's, I believe the point of the Trust is to be a coherent and reliable voice of the fans to deliver opinion and fact from the fans to the club, and to be a recognised channel for the club to communicate with the fans. It should also be a place where the fans can come together to raise funds, discuss projects for those funds to spent on, and as Emma said - have fun! It should be seen as a social club, with a unifying cause, yet with a free rein on it's activities.

I only get to Grimsby 4 or 5 times a year, and then the majority of time is taken up with family commitments, but I'm certainly willing to get involved in anything that can be done remotely. With the internet and email most jobs should be achievable no matter where you live.

I think online registration and subscription should be easy to achieve, and anyone that reads the Fishy has the tools required to update social media. I would love to be involved, even if it's just to update a twitter account. Count me in.

Up the Mariners!

<*((((((><  
<*((((((><  
<*((((((><  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTST - The Past, The Present, The Future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.