10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 10, 2011, 5:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
A more comprehensive one sided victory you couldn't get.Bossed the game from first minute to last and created hatfuls of chances with some great football.

Anyone who says the S&H are long ball merchants are wrong.Similarly,anyone who says we haven't improved from last season are wrong.Not seen us totally outplay a team in that fashion for a long time.

Only slight worry is the amount of chances we spurned and Hearn was desperately unlucky.Must have had a shot saved by all 4 of the keepers limbs at various points.

Disley looked a class act and was my MOM.

Green has got to be signed.Looked very impressive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Meza
September 10, 2011, 5:15pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,648
Gold Stars: 50
Cheers Ginny but i'd be more worried if we weren't creating chances so as long as we keep creating then Hearn will get one in the end having said that even though he hasn't scored he doesn't look like someone struggling with confidence.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 91
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2011, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from ginnywings
A more comprehensive one sided victory you couldn't get.Bossed the game from first minute to last and created hatfuls of chances with some great football.

Anyone who says the S&H are long ball merchants are wrong.Similarly,anyone who says we haven't improved from last season are wrong.Not seen us totally outplay a team in that fashion for a long time.

Only slight worry is the amount of chances we spurned and Hearn was desperately unlucky.Must have had a shot saved by all 4 of the keepers limbs at various points.

calm down..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 91
Marinerz93
September 10, 2011, 5:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
We fully deserved to have a cricket score line in our favour today, Hearn will score, keep going fella.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 91
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 10, 2011, 5:20pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
We where different class today and if we won 6-0 it wouldn't of flattered us.  

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 91
Tommy
September 10, 2011, 5:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Hearn looked more threatening than he has in other games. A really good performance from him. Still looked confident towards the end pulling off skillful turns, so i don't think him not scoring is affecting his confidence just yet as he knows he is playing well.

Duffy had another solid game and we didn't look as good after he went off. Can't have been happy coming off with half an hour left to get his hat trick, but can understand the gaffers' wanting to give someone else a run out with the game all but over.

Really pleased we got the third goal to give the score a more realistic picture of the match. 2-0 wouldn't have told the full story of our dominance and the number of chances we made. When was the last time we created that many chances in a game?

First time i've seen Green play and would like to see him sign. I can see Ridley struggling to get back into the team when fit again. Good defender and good going forward.

Oh and what happened with Artus? Was it Serge he banged his head into?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 91
Brough Mariner
September 10, 2011, 5:28pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +35
Let's remember, we took 1 point from these two games last season.

Don't think we are world beaters just yet but I think you could argue we are making steps in the right direction.

"There are two types of women in the world, those who charge for blow jobs and those who don't. In my experience, those who don't end up costing you more money in the long run." Charlie Sheen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 91
Marinerz93
September 10, 2011, 5:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

Duffy had another solid game and we didn't look as good after he went off. Can't have been happy coming off with half an hour left to get his hat trick, but can understand the gaffers' wanting to give someone else a run out with the game all but over.

Duffy was playing through an illness which makes his performance even better, they took him off because he looked drained.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 91
Tinymariner
September 10, 2011, 5:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Artus clattered into Hearn during the goal celebration.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 91
TWAreaTownSupporter
September 10, 2011, 5:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
You mean 1 point from FGR away and H&Y at home last season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 91
Marinerz93
September 10, 2011, 5:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Just confirmed by Scott that Duffers has suspect food poisoning and they brought him off because he was looking pale and was starting to get shakes.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 91
LH
September 10, 2011, 5:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,597
Gold Stars: 175
Insert burger joke here.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 91
Tinymariner
September 10, 2011, 5:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Marinerz93
Just confirmed by Scott that Duffers has suspect food poisoning and they brought him off because he was looking pale and was starting to get shakes.

They should make sure he has a dodgy chicken before stockport then if he plays like that with food poisoning.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 91
headingly_mariner
September 10, 2011, 6:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
well and truly entertained today!

Hearn was MoM.

I thought they were very poor but we still look a little dodgy at the back sometimes.

Referee also had a very good game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 91
STB
September 10, 2011, 6:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from Marinerz93

The last thing he wants with food poisoning is dairy-based products.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 91
Marinerz93
September 10, 2011, 6:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from STB

The last thing he wants with food poisoning is dairy-based products.

Be honest what flavour did you think of, I thought of Banana milk shake  

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 6:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Spot on cross from Hearn for second and Green played very well and with confidence.All round great performance lads well done!

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 91
AndyGTFC
September 10, 2011, 6:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Very good performance from us today. It's funny how football works, people were talking about how we didn't create enough in the first couple of games but we created a hatful of chances today and could definitely have won by a lot more.

We defended well again and H & Y didn't really look like scoring. Great for Duffy to get two, he's started the season well and I hope he keeps it up.  Hearn is a very classy player and was deservedly announced as MOTM. He'll score soon enough without question.

Well done again Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 91
gobby
September 10, 2011, 6:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Good performance. Nuff said!
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 91
we will return
September 10, 2011, 6:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Very good performance, Hearn must be wondering what he needs to do to score. My motm would be Pearson, nothing got past him all game.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 91
Tommy
September 10, 2011, 6:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Was anything interesting said in a post match interview with one of the bosses? Didn't catch it on RH.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 91
barralad
September 10, 2011, 6:37pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Came away today very entertained. Carried on where they left off last Saturday. Kempson and Pearson look to have the makings of a very good centre half partnership. I think the other day one of the managers was lamenting the fact that 3/4 of our first choice back four were injured. I wonder if he thinks that now? Green looks a class act at this level. Whether or not we can actually get him to come here permanently is anyone's guess.
Disley was everywhere today ably supported by Artus until the ridiculous goal celebration injury.

Hearne was fantastic today. Full of running and desperately unlucky not to score. My only "criticism" would be that he doesn't help himself with the angle of his shots. Seems to give the keeper a better than evens chance of getting something on it without a richochet into the goal.

Was it me or did Duffy arrive really late in the box for his second goal? A fantastic finish.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 91
Marinerz93
September 10, 2011, 6:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Was anything interesting said in a post match interview with one of the bosses? Didn't catch it on RH.

Said basically that the players hard work is now paying off and that they are very committed players who give their all.  He thought that Hearns work rate and play was excellent and said that Hearn will score loads if he carry's that on.  Also said that he thought Hearns fitness and attitude was excellent considering he was a part time player last season.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 91
StiggsGTFC
September 10, 2011, 6:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from Tinymariner
Artus clattered into Hearn during the goal celebration.

Not according to Frankie, he said after the game it was Pearson.

Looked like 3-4 stitches above his right eye.

He seemed really chuffed with the result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 91
BIGChris
September 10, 2011, 6:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Comprehensive win against a very poor team. In part perhaps that was because we made them look bad but they were a very limited team.

Really pleased with another clean sheet. That will be vital for confidence.

In honesty i thought we cruised through the game but glad we got the third, howerver fortunate, to put a realistic slant to the scoreline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 91
Swansea_Mariner
September 10, 2011, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Have to say they sounded excellent on the radio, so am very happy that those who went confirmed this. I think Green won't be able to play for anyone else until the January window as he's now played for us, so we should have him till then at least.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 91
September 10, 2011, 6:58pm
Guest User
Was impressed with thier 'keeper for a long time, he kept score respectful and pulled off some very good saves until his juggling act! Was that Bradleys first ever goal for us?
Reply: 26 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 7:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad
Came away today very entertained. Carried on where they left off last Saturday. Kempson and Pearson look to have the makings of a very good centre half partnership. I think the other day one of the managers was lamenting the fact that 3/4 of our first choice back four were injured. I wonder if he thinks that now? Green looks a class act at this level. Whether or not we can actually get him to come here permanently is anyone's guess.
Disley was everywhere today ably supported by Artus until the ridiculous goal celebration injury.

Hearne was fantastic today. Full of running and desperately unlucky not to score. My only "criticism" would be that he doesn't help himself with the angle of his shots. Seems to give the keeper a better than evens chance of getting something on it without a richochet into the goal.

Was it me or did Duffy arrive really late in the box for his second goal? A fantastic finish.
....and a fantastic assist from Liam

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 91
upthestripes
September 10, 2011, 7:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Whoever said green was unlucky for the mariners!

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 91
80sglory
September 10, 2011, 7:07pm
Guest User
Bloody well done today Town.  

Not just the scoreline but thought we playes some really nice football - how we weren't 1 up before the first went in I don't know !

OK H&Y may be one of the poorer teams at BP we see this season but they still had some useful players and we can only concentrate on what we do.

2 special mentions for me...  

Liam Hearn(well done Sponsors!) - thought some of his passing and crossing was great and never stopped running.
In the last 10 minutes he looked tired but even so, still wanted the ball, still kept running.

A lot of other players did great too and everyone played well.

Second one is the ref ! (and his assistants) - thought he generally had an excellent game - can we have you evey week please ?

More 80's analysis later...
Reply: 29 - 91
ginnywings
September 10, 2011, 7:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Just had a quick shufty on the H&Y forum and one of their fans who was at the game reckoned it was a very even first half and only a mistake from them allowed us to score.

I know fans can be biased but was he at the same game as me? We absolutely battered them from the off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 91
cleeimp
September 10, 2011, 7:31pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0

what a great game I hope that we have now turned the corner the sqaud is now gelling for one another and at last we  have a goalkeeper who is going right to the top now for a pint or 2.UTMM

cleefish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 91
alvinghammariner
September 10, 2011, 7:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
We played very very well today, disley, duffy, green and hearn impressed. More of the same!

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 91
TAGG
September 10, 2011, 8:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ginnywings

Spot on
Agree with everything

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 8:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Isn't it nice when a plan comes together   "A" Team 1986

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 91
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2011, 8:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Bloody well done today Town.  

Not just the scoreline but thought we playes some really nice football - how we weren't 1 up before the first went in I don't know !

OK H&Y may be one of the poorer teams at BP we see this season but they still had some useful players and we can only concentrate on what we do.

2 special mentions for me...  

Liam Hearn(well done Sponsors!) - thought some of his passing and crossing was great and never stopped running.
In the last 10 minutes he looked tired but even so, still wanted the ball, still kept running.

A lot of other players did great too and everyone played well.

Second one is the ref ! (and his assistants) - thought he generally had an excellent game - can we have you evey week please ?

More 80's analysis later...

the hardback novel version..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 8:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

the hardback novel version..
That was quite good for you  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 91
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2011, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ponnyfan
That was quite good for you  

are you getting fond of me?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 8:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

are you getting fond of me?
No Jack I'm not  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 91
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2011, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ponnyfan
No Jack I'm not  

I`m sure i will sleep tonight  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 9:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I`m sure i will sleep tonight  

Good - Bless you my child

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 91
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2011, 9:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ponnyfan
Good - Bless you my child

thanks.Bless you too.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 9:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

thanks.Bless you too.
Are you going for -18  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 91
Super Clive
September 10, 2011, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Played well today, Hearn, Duffy, Coulson, Serge, Disley, Fragile Frankie, Wood, Green, Kempson, Pearson, Macca the stand outs for me...

On to Stockport now, kill the illegitimates from the off like today, match the workrate, put away the chances and give Rob Duffy another bloody burger from the famous vans come on lets get 3 wins on the bounce.

On another note glad Eagle got a chance today looks understandably rusty but played well when with the time he had on the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 91
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2011, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ponnyfan
Are you going for -18  

No sorry dont get involved with minors..

comeback when your old enough

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 9:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

No sorry dont get involved with minors..

comeback when your old enough
UR safe  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 91
jonnyboy82
September 10, 2011, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ponnyfan
UR safe  

hmmmm you sure?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 91
ponnyfan
September 10, 2011, 9:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

hmmmm you sure?

Hehe ! Totally sure - Your posts are excrement  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 91
we will return
September 10, 2011, 9:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Quoted from 1106
Was impressed with thier 'keeper for a long time, he kept score respectful and pulled off some very good saves until his juggling act! Was that Bradleys first ever goal for us?

Yep

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 91
1mickylyons
September 10, 2011, 10:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
That is the best home peformance for quite some time in my opinion and Pearson,Hearn and Mckeown all seem to be getting to the right level now after there step up the Leagues have to say i was impressed with Church as well after he came on for Artus.For any fans reading this who have been humming and arghing about getting to a game and havent seen these players please believe me when i say they might not be the best but they are all 100% triers and that should deserve support.I am still concerned about the lack of pace at the back for Town and ideally would like a different striking option on the bench to the 3 target men but were looking like a  decent side now and it has been a while since that was the case.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 91
1mickylyons
September 10, 2011, 10:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from BIGChris
Comprehensive win against a very poor team. In part perhaps that was because we made them look bad but they were a very limited team.

Really pleased with another clean sheet. That will be vital for confidence.

In honesty i thought we cruised through the game but glad we got the third, howerver fortunate, to put a realistic slant to the scoreline

I thought the injury to there centre back finished them Chris he was having a fine game til then i hope he recovers and keeps a clean sheet v The Imps
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 91
shaunieboy
September 10, 2011, 10:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / -3
i would just like to say a great performance from all today and must comment the ref had a really good game fair with all decisions and let the game flow but at last the lads gave the supporters something to talk about and i believe if we get behind this team and keep the positives we will be up there at the end of the season. i also believe we had a bit of luck today so maybe lady luck is with us at long last. keep faith and keep believing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 91
upthestripes
September 10, 2011, 10:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Very slow trickle of posts tonight.
That's when you know all is well at GTFC

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 91
grimsby pete
September 10, 2011, 10:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Just got back to Suffolk,

Well worth the 14 hour trip, Had to buy my own pint in the Imp as Ponnyfan did not turn up again  

Hearn had a great game and he will score a hatful very soon,

The whole team played well and looked a different team than the One at Braintree,

Well done to the players and to S + H,

Keep this form up and we will end up near the top.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 91
upthestripes
September 10, 2011, 10:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just got back to Suffolk,

Well worth the 14 hour trip, Had to buy my own pint in the Imp as Ponnyfan did not turn up again  

Hearn had a great game and he will score a hatful very soon,

The whole team played well and looked a different team than the One at Braintree,

Well done to the players and to S + H,

Keep this form up and we will end up near the top.

Has that swayed you to think more about the Wrexham game Pete?
I'll get you a drink don't worry. You can try some of that new beer the Imp are selling, it's clear and a bit flat but you'll enjoy it!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 91
grimsby pete
September 10, 2011, 10:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from upthestripes

Has that swayed you to think more about the Wrexham game Pete?
I'll get you a drink don't worry. You can try some of that new beer the Imp are selling, it's clear and a bit flat but you'll enjoy it!

Sorry Ian, I will not be able to make that one now,  ( In hospital next week for a op on my bum )

Kettering away and Cambridge away, will be my next games,

BUT

Hope to be back at the Park in the new year sometime.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 91
TownSNAFU5
September 10, 2011, 10:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
A really enjoyable game.  We seem to be getting it together as the players start to gell, fitness levels improve and players get use to to FT and BSP football.

I have posted after other games that am impressed with Hearn's alround play.   For a out and out goal-scorer last season, he is very good in other footy and forward-play skills. He said that his fitness and sharpness are still improving.  He has a lot of potential and is already converting this to better play. My MOM.

Pearson has also improved after the big step up.  He was close to being MOM.  Very solid and resolute in his heading and tackling.  Anybody else thinks that he runs like Lucio?

Everyone did well today.  Their number 27 found acres of space on their left wing, but they were reluctant to pass to him early in the game.  Like a re-run of the Darlo game.

The ref was very good and would not like to meet him on a dark night.  Pity we did not have him when (dirty) Fleetwood were here.

Great weather as well.  Although heavy rain all the way back, with thunder and lighting.  The perfect day at Blundell Park was complete during the HT draw.  I buy £5 of tickets every game and have never won anything in years.  I said to my brother "if that little kid does not draw my ticket out he should be taken away from his parents".  5 seconds later I had the first prize.   A nice £295>   Pity no more away fans to boost the winnings. Good for petrol money for other games.  

Hard to find fault with anything today though. Ironic Scotty banned himself from talking to fans who who would have said very positive things to him. Also well done Eagle.  His little cameo role was encouraging after it appeared he had fallen out with the managers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 91
upthestripes
September 10, 2011, 10:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Sorry Ian, I will not be able to make that one now,  ( In hospital next week for a op on my bum )

Kettering away and Cambridge away, will be my next games,

BUT

Hope to be back at the Park in the new year sometime.

Oh right, okey doke mate. Next year then!
Good luck with your bum! (don't think I've ever said that to anyone before).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 91
RichMariner
September 10, 2011, 10:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
We were excellent today - here's my take on the game...

[url]http://wp.me/p1FK1u-15[/url]

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 58 - 91
Les Brechin
September 10, 2011, 10:49pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,720
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A really enjoyable game.  We seem to be getting it together as the players start to gell, fitness levels improve and players get use to to FT and BSP football.

I have posted after other games that am impressed with Hearn's alround play.   For a out and out goal-scorer last season, he is very good in other footy and forward-play skills. He said that his fitness and sharpness are still improving.  He has a lot of potential and is already converting this to better play. My MOM.

Pearson has also improved after the big step up.  He was close to being MOM.  Very solid and resolute in his heading and tackling.  Anybody else thinks that he runs like Lucio?

Everyone did well today.  Their number 27 found acres of space on their left wing, but they were reluctant to pass to him early in the game.  Like a re-run of the Darlo game.

The ref was very good and would not like to meet him on a dark night.  Pity we did not have him when (dirty) Fleetwood were here.

Great weather as well.  Although heavy rain all the way back, with thunder and lighting.  The perfect day at Blundell Park was complete during the HT draw.  I buy £5 of tickets every game and have never won anything in years. I said to my brother "if that little kid does not draw my ticket out he should be taken away from his parents".  5 seconds later I had the first prize.   A nice £295>   Pity no more away fans to boost the winnings. Good for petrol money for other games.  

Hard to find fault with anything today though. Ironic Scotty banned himself from talking to fans who who would have said very positive things to him. Also well done Eagle.  His little cameo role was encouraging after it appeared he had fallen out with the managers.

Aha, now I know who you are.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 91
forza ivano
September 12, 2011, 12:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
looks like green impressed again.is it just me or does he remind anyone else of macca in terms of build and the way he plays?
sounds like pearson improved again so hope he's growing into this higher level of footie (incidentally when is garner due back?)

last thing - did the 'if you don't feckin like it don't come ' chant get an airing on saturday? did make me laugh at forest green
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 91
RoboCod
September 12, 2011, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Green seems more vocal than Ridley. Haven't seen a lot of games but I though Green prompted and positioned Makofo into a better game, his tracking back to help defend seemed a lot more determined.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 91
Biccys
September 12, 2011, 12:25pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from forza ivano
looks like green impressed again.is it just me or does he remind anyone else of macca in terms of build and the way he plays?
sounds like pearson improved again so hope he's growing into this higher level of footie (incidentally when is garner due back?)

last thing - did the 'if you don't feckin like it don't come ' chant get an airing on saturday? did make me laugh at forest green

Absolutely yes, Green really impressed me. And yes, he does remind me of Macca as well. A couple of lads who sit near me said he was very short though, which is an odd thing to say about a fullback...! I reckon Pearson is growing in stature as well. He and Kempson seem to be the preferred partnership and rightly so IMHO. I saw Garner in Maccies car park as I waited for my lift home & he seemed ok. A nice option should the managers need it with I'Anson also in the mix.

The 'if you don't feckin like it don't come!' chant did get a brief airing on saturday, but only the once that I heard from the Pontoon. That should definitely be one of our stock chants from now on!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 91
forza ivano
September 12, 2011, 12:31pm

Exile
Quoted from Biccys

Absolutely yes, Green really impressed me. And yes, he does remind me of Macca as well. A couple of lads who sit near me said he was very short though, which is an odd thing to say about a fullback...! I reckon Pearson is growing in stature as well. He and Kempson seem to be the preferred partnership and rightly so IMHO. I saw Garner in Maccies car park as I waited for my lift home & he seemed ok. A nice option should the managers need it with I'Anson also in the mix.

The 'if you don't feckin like it don't come!' chant did get a brief airing on saturday, but only the once that I heard from the Pontoon. That should definitely be one of our stock chants from now on!

i didn't think he was that short - have checked on wikki and both him and mcdermott are the same height 5' 7 (nigel winterburn is only 5' 8, and it didn't seem to impede him!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 91
BIGChris
September 12, 2011, 12:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Provided he has a decent jump on him he will be fine. (he made a few decent headers on Saturday).

There will be the odd team that target full backs aerially. Crawley did it last season but Woods called that one right and had Watt at right back to counter McAllister, even so Alan Wrigth looked superb for Fleetwood last season and he cant be much taller that Davie B and is pushing 40 (not you Dave)
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 91
forza ivano
September 12, 2011, 12:43pm

Exile
Quoted from BIGChris
Provided he has a decent jump on him he will be fine. (he made a few decent headers on Saturday).

There will be the odd team that target full backs aerially. Crawley did it last season but Woods called that one right and had Watt at right back to counter McAllister, even so Alan Wrigth looked superb for Fleetwood last season and he cant be much taller that Davie B and is pushing 40 (not you Dave)

certainly forest green did that - but that was against bradley wood not green. i mentioned elsewhere that wood defending deep crosses and long diagonal balls is very poor.just wish macca and stockdale could coach him on this area of his game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 91
Zmariner
September 12, 2011, 1:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
The back 4 lacks pace and this makes Green a useful addition in my book. Much rather have the pace than the height at full back. I hope that we sign him. Right back tricky - Wood is the hardest trier in the squad but does get caught out. Hopefully this can be coached into him as I am a fan. Great show on Saturday and encouraging - run must be sustained on Sat - this will give us some belief UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 91
the Grimbarian
September 12, 2011, 1:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -22
Approval: -2
As soon as Ridleys fit and available Green will be gone

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/awxlia.jpg[/IMG]                                                          

• In addition, it was requested for anyone involved with GTST to step away from the
negativity, and refrain from getting involved in any nastiness and backbiting that
seems commonplace on messageboards.

AN EPITAPH FOR ALL GTST MEMBERS

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 91
Garth
September 12, 2011, 2:50pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Quoted from the Grimbarian
As soon as Ridleys fit and available Green will be gone

I`m not so sure about that, quick and experienced we need cover in that position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 91
upthestripes
September 12, 2011, 3:07pm

Vodka Drinker
I'd love Green to sign but we've got no fackin maney

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 91
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 3:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from RoboCod
Green seems more vocal than Ridley.

I went to a lot of pre-season games and Ridley was probably the most vocal of the lot at times, always shouting "hold the line", organising etc - looks captain material (if he hasn't been already).

Seen a few other people say "Ridley will struggle to keep his place" etc which I think is a little premature.
Green looks good yes but can he defend ?
Don't think Saturday told us very much and there were one or two occasions vs Forest Green that worried me a bit.

And let's remember Ridley has done very well this season so far too.
So think it's a little early to say Green should be first choice just yet.
MP said Ridley could/should be back in training this week !  

Quoted from upthestripes

He may well strengthen the squad but fixed budgets are there for a very good reason - ask the chairman...  
Reply: 70 - 91
Devonmatt
September 12, 2011, 3:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
What is the position with Green at the moment?  Is he here on a month to month contract at the mo (apologies for being lazy)?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 91
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 3:50pm
Guest User
Reply: 72 - 91
StiggsGTFC
September 12, 2011, 3:54pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from upthestripes

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 91
bradzmilne
September 12, 2011, 4:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 30
Sadly i think the signing of green will very much depend on the result of the tribunal. Does anyone know whats up with church? i no he got that injury during pre season, but is he still not fully fit? or is artus getting in the side ahead of him?

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 91
RoboCod
September 12, 2011, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from 1600

I went to a lot of pre-season games and Ridley was probably the most vocal of the lot at times, always shouting "hold the line", organising etc - looks captain material (if he hasn't been already).

Seen a few other people say "Ridley will struggle to keep his place" etc which I think is a little premature.
Green looks good yes but can he defend ?
Don't think Saturday told us very much and there were one or two occasions vs Forest Green that worried me a bit.

I can only say what I saw and that was a tidy display from Green and very ably supported at times from Makofo, who was getting stick a few weeks ago for not dropping back to help. Two wins and two blank sheets since Green started shows a much more settled defence for me, and with a bunch of players getting back to fitness and wanting to start I'm enjoying the moment (while it lasts).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 91
Garth
September 12, 2011, 4:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Quoted from bradzmilne
Sadly i think the signing of green will very much depend on the result of the tribunal. Does anyone know whats up with church? i no he got that injury during pre season, but is he still not fully fit? or is artus getting in the side ahead of him?

Seemed OK Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 91
bradzmilne
September 12, 2011, 4:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Garth

Seemed OK Saturday

well thats what i thought, his impressed me all the times ive seen him. Strange that hands we so desperate to get him if he ends up bench warming

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 91
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 4:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from RoboCod
I can only say what I saw and that was a tidy display from Green and very ably supported at times from Makofo, who was getting stick a few weeks ago for not dropping back to help. Two wins and two blank sheets since Green started shows a much more settled defence for me, and with a bunch of players getting back to fitness and wanting to start I'm enjoying the moment (while it lasts).

Of course, not trying to put down your own opinion, just adding my view too.
And yes, I totally agree with you about Makofo (though tbh I thought that was probably his worst performance of the season)

Quoted from bradzmilne
Does anyone know whats up with church? i no he got that injury during pre season, but is he still not fully fit? or is artus getting in the side ahead of him?

Maybe a bit of both.
Guess the managers will always want to try to gradually ease in any returning players from injury.
But when you're up against a side like H&Y at home, you probably want your best ball players on the pitch too.
Reply: 78 - 91
Maringer
September 12, 2011, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
I think Makofo has certainly improved defensively this season as a whole so I'm not sure that Green has much to do with this. More likely that he's getting some decent coaching as his positioning does seem to be better most of the time.

That said, Green certainly looked a competent full-back and I wouldn't be upset to see him stay though I think it unlikely. I think Ridley is still a decent player at this level but his lack of pace can be a problem against some teams (especially combined with the general lack of pace across the back four). Green is a bit nippier which is helpful.

Unfortunately, as we've got no fahkin mahney, I doubt we'll be able to keep Green after the transfer window re-opens after Christmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 91
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 4:47pm
Guest User
But surely if we can afford to pay him on non-contract terms then we can afford to pay him on contract terms ?

I don't buy this story we haven't got any money - I reckon it's Fenty's digging his budget heels in.

Or maybe just maybe, if Scott and Hurst DO sign him then they know there won't be any more money left to sign another short term replacement should we need one e.g. if Bradley Wood gets suspended (current on 4 yellows)

Wonder if Conor Marshall is still on non contract terms... ?
Somehow I doubt it but if he's not, then he might be again later...
Reply: 80 - 91
Devonmatt
September 12, 2011, 4:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from Maringer
I think Makofo has certainly improved defensively this season as a whole so I'm not sure that Green has much to do with this. More likely that he's getting some decent coaching as his positioning does seem to be better most of the time.

That said, Green certainly looked a competent full-back and I wouldn't be upset to see him stay though I think it unlikely. I think Ridley is still a decent player at this level but his lack of pace can be a problem against some teams (especially combined with the general lack of pace across the back four). Green is a bit nippier which is helpful.

Unfortunately, as we've got no fahkin mahney, I doubt we'll be able to keep Green after the transfer window re-opens after Christmas.

Perhaps now is the perfect opportunity to get Thanoj out on loan.  I appreciate he and Mulready will not be on any great money but having these two away from the club will free up a little room in the budget as well as getting these two young talents some game time.  I know Green will command a reasonable wage but let's remember that he was unemployed until we picked him up.  Now is a good time for clubs to be striking advantageous deals (in respect of the club involved) with players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 91
Fishfinger
September 12, 2011, 4:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
I agree with 80's. Although I think Green is very good on the ball and is pretty good going forward, I just think he's a little lightweight and doesn't seem to get stuck in at the opposition winger. To be fair though, I need to judge him after a few games and not just one in which I've seen him play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 91
voice of reason
September 12, 2011, 4:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1600
But surely if we can afford to pay him on non-contract terms then we can afford to pay him on contract terms ?

I don't buy this story we haven't got any money - I reckon it's Fenty's digging his budget heels in.

Or maybe just maybe, if Scott and Hurst DO sign him then they know there won't be any more money left to sign another short term replacement should we need one e.g. if Bradley Wood gets suspended (current on 4 yellows)

Wonder if Conor Marshall is still on non contract terms... ?
Somehow I doubt it but if he's not, then he might be again later...

Connor Marshall is still with the club... He is being paid expenses only and is willing to carry on with this arrangement in the hope he can earn a contract... Take my hat off to the lad, his attitude on this cannot be faulted...

There was an article in the Telewag yesterday about it...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 91
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 5:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from voice of reason

Connor Marshall is still with the club... He is being paid expenses only and is willing to carry on with this arrangement in the hope he can earn a contract... Take my hat off to the lad, his attitude on this cannot be faulted...

There was an article in the Telewag yesterday about it...

Cheers for that - found it will have a read.
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk.....23-detail/story.html

Quoted from Fishfinger
To be fair though, I need to judge him after a few games and not just one in which I've seen him play

Yeah me too.

Reply: 84 - 91
Abdul19
September 12, 2011, 5:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 219
I'd be surprised if we didn't sign Green, purely because, Ridley will get injured again.(...............)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 91
amanda hugnkiss
September 12, 2011, 6:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
No you don't need to judge Marshall the managers do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 91
barralad
September 12, 2011, 6:42pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Green looked a bit shaky in the first 20 minutes or so at FGR but I put that down to not having worked with the rest of the team given the last minute nature of the signing etc. Thought he looked excellent on Saturday against admittedly poor opposition.

I'd like to see him signed.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 91
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 6:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from voice of reason
Take my hat off to the lad, his attitude on this cannot be faulted...

Having just read the article I totally agree - good on the lad being here for no wage, he certainly deserved a contract but the clubs interests come first and sadly it's a dog eat dog cruel world.

But IMO this is exactly where supporters COULD collectively help out and make a small difference to financially support him if they had their own emergency funds. I'd still be happy to contribute a fiver even now as a one off if others did too.

Ooops silly me, I forgot it "can't work"...  

Reply: 88 - 91
acko338
September 12, 2011, 7:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
iI players go out on loan, what is the deal with short term recall over 24 hours?

Does it make the loan contract change in some way legally, or under league rules, between clubs with amounts being paid by the loaning club for the loan period - does anyone know for sure?

Some of these lads need good playing time at a reasonable level with no reserve or "arranged" games coming up or they will fail badly if asked to drop in for injured players later this season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 91
rancido
September 12, 2011, 7:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,655
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Maringer

The Dynamic Duo were quoted in the GET just prior to the start of the season that Makofo needed to work on his defending and they were trying to address that.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 91
Laceby Miller
September 12, 2011, 9:02pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from RoboCod

I've just had a look through some of the comments on Green's performance. He'll be good for you, plus he's very consistent. Dun't remember him ever having a bad game at Rovrum. Pleased he's doing well so far. I still think we were wrong to release him. To the 'doubting' postee - yes he can defend and his positional play is very good: reads the game well for a young player. I'll check back in two weeks!

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 91
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.