Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 346 Guests

Just back

This thread currently has 7,869 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 4:47pm
Guest User
But surely if we can afford to pay him on non-contract terms then we can afford to pay him on contract terms ?

I don't buy this story we haven't got any money - I reckon it's Fenty's digging his budget heels in.

Or maybe just maybe, if Scott and Hurst DO sign him then they know there won't be any more money left to sign another short term replacement should we need one e.g. if Bradley Wood gets suspended (current on 4 yellows)

Wonder if Conor Marshall is still on non contract terms... ?
Somehow I doubt it but if he's not, then he might be again later...
Reply: 80 - 91
Devonmatt
September 12, 2011, 4:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from Maringer
I think Makofo has certainly improved defensively this season as a whole so I'm not sure that Green has much to do with this. More likely that he's getting some decent coaching as his positioning does seem to be better most of the time.

That said, Green certainly looked a competent full-back and I wouldn't be upset to see him stay though I think it unlikely. I think Ridley is still a decent player at this level but his lack of pace can be a problem against some teams (especially combined with the general lack of pace across the back four). Green is a bit nippier which is helpful.

Unfortunately, as we've got no fahkin mahney, I doubt we'll be able to keep Green after the transfer window re-opens after Christmas.

Perhaps now is the perfect opportunity to get Thanoj out on loan.  I appreciate he and Mulready will not be on any great money but having these two away from the club will free up a little room in the budget as well as getting these two young talents some game time.  I know Green will command a reasonable wage but let's remember that he was unemployed until we picked him up.  Now is a good time for clubs to be striking advantageous deals (in respect of the club involved) with players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 91
Fishfinger
September 12, 2011, 4:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
I agree with 80's. Although I think Green is very good on the ball and is pretty good going forward, I just think he's a little lightweight and doesn't seem to get stuck in at the opposition winger. To be fair though, I need to judge him after a few games and not just one in which I've seen him play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 91
voice of reason
September 12, 2011, 4:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1600
But surely if we can afford to pay him on non-contract terms then we can afford to pay him on contract terms ?

I don't buy this story we haven't got any money - I reckon it's Fenty's digging his budget heels in.

Or maybe just maybe, if Scott and Hurst DO sign him then they know there won't be any more money left to sign another short term replacement should we need one e.g. if Bradley Wood gets suspended (current on 4 yellows)

Wonder if Conor Marshall is still on non contract terms... ?
Somehow I doubt it but if he's not, then he might be again later...

Connor Marshall is still with the club... He is being paid expenses only and is willing to carry on with this arrangement in the hope he can earn a contract... Take my hat off to the lad, his attitude on this cannot be faulted...

There was an article in the Telewag yesterday about it...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 91
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 5:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from voice of reason

Connor Marshall is still with the club... He is being paid expenses only and is willing to carry on with this arrangement in the hope he can earn a contract... Take my hat off to the lad, his attitude on this cannot be faulted...

There was an article in the Telewag yesterday about it...

Cheers for that - found it will have a read.
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk.....23-detail/story.html

Quoted from Fishfinger
To be fair though, I need to judge him after a few games and not just one in which I've seen him play

Yeah me too.

Reply: 84 - 91
Abdul19
September 12, 2011, 5:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,604
Gold Stars: 219
I'd be surprised if we didn't sign Green, purely because, Ridley will get injured again.(...............)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 91
amanda hugnkiss
September 12, 2011, 6:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
No you don't need to judge Marshall the managers do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 91
barralad
September 12, 2011, 6:42pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Green looked a bit shaky in the first 20 minutes or so at FGR but I put that down to not having worked with the rest of the team given the last minute nature of the signing etc. Thought he looked excellent on Saturday against admittedly poor opposition.

I'd like to see him signed.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 91
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 6:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from voice of reason
Take my hat off to the lad, his attitude on this cannot be faulted...

Having just read the article I totally agree - good on the lad being here for no wage, he certainly deserved a contract but the clubs interests come first and sadly it's a dog eat dog cruel world.

But IMO this is exactly where supporters COULD collectively help out and make a small difference to financially support him if they had their own emergency funds. I'd still be happy to contribute a fiver even now as a one off if others did too.

Ooops silly me, I forgot it "can't work"...  

Reply: 88 - 91
acko338
September 12, 2011, 7:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
iI players go out on loan, what is the deal with short term recall over 24 hours?

Does it make the loan contract change in some way legally, or under league rules, between clubs with amounts being paid by the loaning club for the loan period - does anyone know for sure?

Some of these lads need good playing time at a reasonable level with no reserve or "arranged" games coming up or they will fail badly if asked to drop in for injured players later this season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 91
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.