Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 233 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 7,819 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
April 19, 2023, 12:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,880
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from HerveJosse

Not sure that observing that a player who may aid our cause has a profile that suggests he would want to move here on anywhere else outside the south east has anything to do with any views I may have on the new owners.

It doesn’t, particularly. Both are just examples of a consistent theme of negativity that you seem to peddle, the justification for which I do not see.

As I said earlier, if I’ve got that wrong and that’s not a fair comment, please feel free to correct me.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 87
ska face
April 19, 2023, 12:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from HerveJosse

.it is well known that 80% of people have a positive outcome bias.

Is it?
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 87
HerveJosse
April 19, 2023, 1:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ska face

Is it?

Yes More accurately I should have said positive outlook bias. You can round about it on the interweb
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 87
lee65
April 19, 2023, 1:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from HerveJosse

No problem.it is well known that 80% of people have a positive outcome bias. While that has many advantages it can also lead to acceptance of the stays quo ,mediocrity and underachievement . I am in the other 20%

And as you can see I am crap at understanding the mechanics of how to post on these reply to points based comments

I think you both make a good point re early season ticket sales, it struck me at Bradford the other week how on the ball they always are, as they were promoting them over the tannoy on 1st April
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 87
HatTrickHero
April 19, 2023, 1:29pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from ginnywings

Think PH has form for this though doesn't he?

Plenty of people moan about him and his team / tactics / substitutions, but when you look at the big picture, he is quietly and confidently making us better, and achieving stuff that many other managers fail at doing, and the critics have to eat their words.

15 months ago, fans were screaming for his head, and then we get promoted, reach the FA Cup quarter finals, and now find ourselves in the top half of League 2, whilst not so long ago, some were worried we would be getting dragged into a relegation scrap.

He just keeps soldiering on, ignoring the flak and being very competent.

That's the thing though, I'm happy enough with Hurst at the helm, never gave relegation a thought and I'm quietly hopeful he will improve us for next season. It's the contrast in feeling after every game that I refer to, poor at home but brilliant away, then struggling both home and away...yet if someone this time last year had offered me a deal that we were to gain promotion by winning the most thrilling play-offs ever, in exchange for a mid-table solid position at the end of the first season back in the league I'd have snapped their arm off. The home fans have been a little short changed though, directionless play against 2nd from bottom Hartlepool, a baffling and concerted effort to get the ball to Smith for him to give possesion away vs Mansfield and then spirited 2nd halves where you get flashes of what could have been/what could be.

I'm happy with the season and prepared to put it down to a transitional period but as Crofty said last first half  night, it's a hard watch at times.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 87
Bigdog
April 19, 2023, 1:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Zmariner
Green clear mom for me. Won his battles , passing ok and a better footballer than many he give him credit for.
Khan works hard even when things are not running well and I like him. Subs did well. Emmanuel I am not sure about. Looks very able and I expect a bit more from him. I like Smith and I wonder if he could be signed, there is a huge gulf to the championship. I watched Hull play Burnley and there is a chasm in standard. Crocombe much better last night I thought , I think he had been poor since Xmas but full credit last night he played very well. MacAtee was off the pace again and perhaps his mind is elsewhere. He had been great and so no complaints. I am lost as to why Hurst plays him in this forward role. He does not head the ball or hold it up and so I am lost. As a link up player he is great. Great to win but a hard watch yet again utm

Me too. Looks very lazy in comparison to Efete, didn't defend as well, didn't get forward much and didn't put any crosses in, never mind good ones. Probably looked after the ball slightly better, but has 50p heading ability.. Has only ever looked half decent with Efete behind him and providing the overlap..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 87
Bigdog
April 19, 2023, 1:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
In defence of McAtee. He's missed a bit of pre-season, had the shoulder operation and has been playing catch up fitness wise ever since. His future's a bit undecided as Luton now have a new manager, but he works his nuts off every game trying to win the ball back, probably doing too many of the hard yards. We haven't been playing great football either, so we're not playing to his strengths. If we're lucky enough somehow to get him back here for next season, we'd see a completely rejuvenated player with a full pre-season and hopefully a few new quality signings for him to play with..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 87
diehardmariner
April 19, 2023, 1:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from jamesgtfc
With McAtee going, I think we can accommodate a bit of a rogue. Whilst Hurst builds hard working teams, he has often taken a punt on a player who isn't quite like the rest of the group: McAtee, Neilson, Vose, Cook. Some have worked, some haven't.

I don't think Smith will come here, but we definitely need a focal point up front in that mould.

How many of those rogues were down to Hurst signing them or Scott though?  I can only think of McAtee and Vose as someone he's gambled on a bit and one of them was someone he's worked with before and then Vose was a loan.  Oh, let's not forget Stefan Payne (but, again, had worked with him before).

Hurst likes what he likes and he definitely doesn't like taking risks.  I think it's too our detriment at times but it's also possibly his best asset too, in a weird way. He'll speak at lengths about the dressing room and the right characters in there, he'll protect that at all costs.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 87
ginnywings
April 19, 2023, 1:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HatTrickHero

That's the thing though, I'm happy enough with Hurst at the helm, never gave relegation a thought and I'm quietly hopeful he will improve us for next season. It's the contrast in feeling after every game that I refer to, poor at home but brilliant away, then struggling both home and away...yet if someone this time last year had offered me a deal that we were to gain promotion by winning the most thrilling play-offs ever, in exchange for a mid-table solid position at the end of the first season back in the league I'd have snapped their arm off. The home fans have been a little short changed though, directionless play against 2nd from bottom Hartlepool, a baffling and concerted effort to get the ball to Smith for him to give possesion away vs Mansfield and then spirited 2nd halves where you get flashes of what could have been/what could be.

I'm happy with the season and prepared to put it down to a transitional period but as Crofty said last first half  night, it's a hard watch at times.

It's a case of being happy with the destination, but not the journey. A bit like driving to Cornwall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 87
April 19, 2023, 1:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from HerveJosse
No problem.it is well known that 80% of people have a positive outcome bias. While that has many advantages it can also lead to acceptance of the stays quo ,mediocrity and underachievement . I am in the other 20%

Is 'people who lack a positive outlook bias' the new high-falutin' phrase for what we used to call "miserable gits" in days gone by?
Reply: 69 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.