Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

Just back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,349 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
barrattstandman
December 30, 2022, 10:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 17
We berate the lack of change that subs make . We expect them to change the game but half the time they haven't played competitive games for weeks and are not ready because of a lack of reserve team football . A good reserve league means that our subs will be fit to play competitive football .
I am not alone in missing reserve football .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 104
Withnail
December 30, 2022, 10:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
We're in trouble. No doubt about it. A lot of the players' confidence is shot and the feel good factor we basked in at the tail end of last season seems an age ago.

I'm not a fan of booing the players - it's counterproductive as it certainly won't make them play any better, if anything it just makes them more risk averse.

I remember as a lad we had a young Aussie sports teacher who did a stint at our school while he was travelling the UK. He couldn't understand the Brits habit of slaughtering a teammate whenever he made a mistake as it wouldn't make them play better. In Oz they'd reassure the player, tell him not to worry and "keep going". That was admittedly  30+ years ago.

I'm as frustrated with recent results as anyone else but my view is spporters who boo the players are an oxymoron.

Back to the football, I hate to say this but after the last couple of games I think we need half a dozen quality signings - two centre forwards, two full backs, a creative midfielder and if I'm being greedy an out and out winger so we can switch the formation.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
December 30, 2022, 10:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,779
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Withnail
We're in trouble. No doubt about it. A lot of the players' confidence is shot and the feel good factor we basked in at the tail end of last season seems an age ago.

I'm not a fan of booing the players - it's counterproductive as it certainly won't make them play any better, if anything it just makes them more risk averse.

I remember as a lad we had a young Aussie sports teacher who did a stint at our school while he was travelling the UK. He couldn't understand the Brits habit of slaughtering a teammate whenever he made a mistake as it wouldn't make them play better. In Oz they'd reassure the player, tell him not to worry and "keep going". That was admittedly  30+ years ago.

I'm as frustrated with recent results as anyone else but my view is spporters who boo the players are an oxymoron.

Back to the football, I hate to say this but after the last couple of games I think we need half a dozen quality signings - two centre forwards, two full backs, a creative midfielder and if I'm being greedy an out and out winger so we can switch the formation.

I agree with most of that but no point in getting another out and out winger as he won't be allowed to play as one. We have two of our own who are out on loan.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 104
sam gy
December 30, 2022, 11:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
We also have two that play most weeks in Kiernan and Khan though?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 104
lukeo
December 30, 2022, 11:26am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,406
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from cannylad65
For all the critcism of Orsi, who would the knowledgeable ones suggest playing in front of McAtee?

If we can't get a new lad in. Kiernan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 104
December 30, 2022, 11:30am
Guest User
Quoted from Withnail

I wouldn't say we are in trouble.....yet!  We are still 12 points above a relegation place, and we can't play like we did yesterday for the rest of the season!  I still have faith in PH!

Reply: 85 - 104
Withnail
December 30, 2022, 11:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from 123614

I wouldn't say we are in trouble.....yet!  We are still 12 points above a relegation place, and we can't play like we did yesterday for the rest of the season!  I still have faith in PH!

Me too but we need to do some canny business in the January window as we simply don't have enough quality. At times last night we made Salford look like the Barcelona team of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 104
TownSNAFU5
December 30, 2022, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Hurst will not need to buy and pay a fee for a creative midfielder.  He has Hunt already.  Totally out of favour.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 104
Spurn boy
December 30, 2022, 1:48pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
After watching both the Harrogate and Salford games the one thing that was similar apart from loosing both games was that both pitches seemed heavy after recent rain and it seemed to affect some of our players more than the opposition, we had the same problems last season and after a great start we faltered during the winter months before regaining our good form in the spring when the ground dried up and town could start to play their passing game again. So many passes in the last 2 games were misplaced by under or over hitting passes. Our form will come back but it is frustrating watching at the moment.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 104
Maringer
December 30, 2022, 5:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Withnail

Me too but we need to do some canny business in the January window as we simply don't have enough quality. At times last night we made Salford look like the Barcelona team of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

Worth noting that their tricky No. 16 who ran the midfield is on loan from Manyoo - he made over 30 appearances for Donny in League One when on loan there last season. Not too surprising that our midfield looked a big clumsy against him. Their striker who bagged a hat-trick has played most of his career in the Championship. They've spent a lot of money and have some good players.

Thing is that most teams they play don't implode defensively like we did last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.