Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 249 Guests

Just back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,352 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
aussiej
December 29, 2022, 11:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 17
I reckon a lot of it is about ambition. We started the season thinking a season of consolidation would be ok (which is the wrong way to think) and will probably end up in a relegation battle. We should have started the season with a great desire to be promoted again and then if things went wrong we would have probably ended up in mid table...
If the players get it into their heads the clubs only ambition is consolidation they will not be playing flat out and that is a real recipe for disaster...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
December 29, 2022, 11:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,783
Gold Stars: 237
Yes, it was bad in a lot of ways, but as ever games change in pivotal moments.

We were on top before and after we equalised, scored a really good goal, and looked good. Then comes the Crocombe/Hollahan combo and it was like a souffle collapsing. The game was lost at that very point. All confidence drained away.

Not a lot is going for us at the moment, injuries illness loss of form of too many players at once, narrow (usually) defeats, and some bizarre goals going against us against opponents who always seem to be coming into form.

We are short of pace and real quality, especially in the strikers' department, and I hope this has given the owners the wake-up call that in today's football you cannot get away without spending a fortune on the better players. They may think the budget was ok, but if we are to compete we need much more investment. All their great plans and aspirations will count for nothing if the playing side isn't right.

The players are not as bad as tonight's result would suggest, nor are they as good as some of the early season results suggested, but we need reinforcements and a bit of luck to get us back on track.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 104
Zmariner
December 30, 2022, 12:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think tonight is the best game to judge Orsi.

It was a shambles from most of the team and he was far from the worst on the pitch for us. He was involved in our only good bit of play that led to a goal. but apart from that, he was feeding on scraps.

Not saying he is the answer, but he would need a bit more playing time to write him off completely. Whether he gets another go remains to be seen.

Orsi was one of the better players in the first half. I would like to see him play with a target man as he is certainly not a hold up player. I think he needs more chances.
Holohan and Clifton were a mystery tonight as usually OK but tonight both looked to be running in lead boots
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 104
HertsGTFC
December 30, 2022, 12:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,006
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from aussiej
I reckon a lot of it is about ambition. We started the season thinking a season of consolidation would be ok (which is the wrong way to think) and will probably end up in a relegation battle. We should have started the season with a great desire to be promoted again and then if things went wrong we would have probably ended up in mid table...
If the players get it into their heads the clubs only ambition is consolidation they will not be playing flat out and that is a real recipe for disaster...

Check out what Jason Stockwood said today, it proves you’re incorrrct in your speculation.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 104
ginnywings
December 30, 2022, 12:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from aussiej

I've heard fans say that, but I haven't heard anyone from the club say it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 104
quebec38
December 30, 2022, 12:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Orsi wasn’t even bad first half. He linked up well a couple of times with McAtee and others. Definitely deserves to keep his spot on Sunday.

Until 1-2 the game was fairly even, and then we just threw it away. Shame really as it just feeds in to the negativity some people can’t get over right now…

“No progress” - we were in the league below last year.

“Accepting of mid-table” - this year, yeah? Nothing wrong with that. Because mid-table would probably be acceptable to most this season, it doesn’t mean we would accept it forever or even next year.

…Neither does it mean Hurst is beyond criticism. He has his faults - I don’t think he’s the greatest coach, and his use of subs is often poor, to name two. He has gained two promotions with us to date though and deserves to see the season out at the very least.

There seems to be a lot of OTT reactions to everything right now. Hopes of promotion again this season. Fears of relegation now (despite still being closer to the play-offs). Green being fantastic and a warrior and lots of other things after the Tranmere game before being completely useless after Harrogate.

Perspective, people. We are 16th. Nobody would remember a 16th place finish in 20 years, but building something is fine and can take time. We are still two seasons in to this thing.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 104
Bigdog
December 30, 2022, 12:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Some of the promoted players have run out of steam and been found out at this level. Hurst has probably underestimated how much we needed to rebuild. And the recruitment last summer wasn't good enough given the benefit of hindsight. At least there's only a few days before the window opens. Big test to see how ambitious the new board are, because they've certainly been backed by the fans, and they now need to match the fans' commitment to the club. No new age business speak bullshitt, half a dozen in and half a dozen out and much improved quality arriving at Cheapside in the next couple of weeks or so in order to save the season and put bums on seats next season too..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 104
MaccasBoots
December 30, 2022, 12:45am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ashby mariner
Awful display. My lad wanted to go at half time and I'm glad I did. Fair play to Smith I said to my mate we will need to defend well to stop him which we didn't. I remember him scoring 4 at Elland Road in the payoffs for Millwall. I can see us playing 5 at the back again against Stockport. Paul can't afford anther shambolic performance again.

Your son will have learnt to give up when the going gets tough - good for you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 104
grimsby pete
December 30, 2022, 12:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
We should have signed Ryan Bennett when we had a chance.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 104
Bigdog
December 30, 2022, 12:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC
That wasn’t acceptable “again”!

The only saving grace from tonight is that all the teams below us who played lost and only 1 of them has played less games than us. Oh yeah and to be fair a well worked and finished goal, look what happens when several players apply themselves!!!

Where has our spine gone? Both on the pitch from front to back and in terms of resilience we look like a relegation side in waiting. I’m not saying this team has no warriors I’m actually saying now Shaun’s out on loan this squad has nobody who willing to roll their sleeves up when the going gets tough. Heads went down at 1 - 2 never mind when the 4th went in.

Thought Khan did ok but currently Max, Waterfall, Smith and Holohan have just about used up any credit they banked during the play offs. Waterfall is drifting towards the player he was under Holloway.

If rumours are to be believed we’re looking at full backs, that’s wise as I’m not convinced tonight’s starters are first picks. H has been good this season and clearly had an off night. Green is a bit of a one trick pony IMHO. Orsi needs to be nastier if he’s going to have an EFL career and if the data is telling us McAtee is fully fit then fine, let’s just buy a data programme that measures sharpness as he’s miles off.

Subs - Kiernan tried, Maher I get as Smith’s circuits had gone but I didn’t see the point of Morris ahead of Hunt. Great to see Scanz back and Pepple was never going to make an impact.

Some additions required next week and not on deadline day, one of which needs to be a credible keeper otherwise we’re going to slide so far we might not make it back.

Agree. He certainly shouldn't be anywhere near seemingly undroppable at League Two level. Ok, Smith had a bad night, but it's his first game back, as it was Glennon's. It's either him or a new signing with a bit of pace to play alongside Maher going forward imho. We need to shake things up..

Although I like Green. He does seem a bit one paced for League Two level, as do several others..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.