Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done GTFC and trust (again)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

Well done GTFC and trust (again)

This thread currently has 4,917 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
EvilFish
June 21, 2022, 12:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
If people are concerned about the club losing money from a boycott, just spend more in the club shop or donate to the youth setup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
toontown
June 21, 2022, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from gtfc_chris

The compromise part wasn't my personal view, it's a take on being rejected for League entry but offered a place in this competition - a compromise between EFL and Premier League.

My trust is more with the EFL than the elite Clubs or PL. The EFL - I can't imagine - had anything to do with the Euro Super League. I was and still am against that. Your point about pole climbers makes sense and maybe there is scope that whoever agrees the U23 sides into a League Structure opens up job opportunities, we know that happens in many industries. I've never been that deep a thinker or conspiracy theorist to really worry about such things, hence being very trusting.

The point about those in positions of power within the EFL selling clubs like ours down the river on the B teams issue is really important. The likes of shaun Harvey always have one eye on the possibility of a potentially lucrative job in the premiership when supposedly negotiating with them on behalf of the EFL. Either directly or at least indirectly, that is part of their equation. They wouldn't give two hoots about clubs being forced out of league 1 and 2 in order to make way for b teams if it suited their job prospects d earnings. This EFL trophy thing is just the beginning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
diehardmariner
June 21, 2022, 1:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from gtfc_chris

The compromise part wasn't my personal view, it's a take on being rejected for League entry but offered a place in this competition - a compromise between EFL and Premier League.

My trust is more with the EFL than the elite Clubs or PL. The EFL - I can't imagine - had anything to do with the Euro Super League. I was and still am against that. Your point about pole climbers makes sense and maybe there is scope that whoever agrees the U23 sides into a League Structure opens up job opportunities, we know that happens in many industries. I've never been that deep a thinker or conspiracy theorist to really worry about such things, hence being very trusting.

Yes, apologies I realise it wasn't your personal view regards compromise.  But my point was that there shouldn't have been a compromise offered to start with.  The EFL should have shut up shop and said straight away no to any suggestion of Academy teams in their structure.  That they felt any need to engage in the process and offer any end of the wedge, regardless how thin, was foolish.

I don't trust the EFL at all.  I've yet to see anything in modern times that suggests they've anything but their own interests at heart.  Unfortunately, as a members organisation, their power lies with the membership and that's largely weak and happy to wag their tail at whoever offers the slightest bit of bone.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
GrimPol
June 21, 2022, 1:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from toontown

Sorry I don't understand what point your making? What will who say when 50 punters turn up? Who is them getting instant gratification? Are you talking about the board - I just don't get what point you are making.

Q   What will who say when 50 punters turn up?       A .   What will the Club say when 50 punters turn at a PJ game.
Q    Who is them getting instant gratification?           A .  The Club/Trust
Q   I just don't get what point you are making         A.     The point I'm making is that the Board/Trust put out a statement, leaving PH in an invidious position
                                                                                   and splitting the fanbase.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
GrimPol
June 21, 2022, 2:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Nope, they still want to put B Teams into the pyramid. Can't give them an inch and legitimise this competition.

They will put together a package that sways greedy owners

Where did this leap from Trophy and U21  teams to B teams in the future come from? Was it from some PL Blue Sky thinking paper, or an overactive conspiracy theory?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
RichMariner
June 21, 2022, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
The EFL are meant to have the best interests of their 72 clubs at heart.

Each of those clubs is utterly dependent on fans, and I reckon the fans will be close to unanimous in rejecting U23 sides from joining any competition, let alone the league.

So, the reason why the EFL won't listen to the fans, and therefore their member clubs, is simple.

Money. Self-preservation. Greed.

It's at the top of the EFL, other institutions, the government and the media. People constantly protecting themselves by pursuing money and selling anyone that gets in their way down the river.

If left unchecked, this is exactly what the EFL will do to its clubs, if it means a small 'elite' group are able to profit further. Rich get richer, poor get poorer.

Of course it's fine to ask the questions. I've asked enough and I would never trust the EFL. I simply don't believe it has the best interests of its member clubs at heart. If it did, the B-teams thing would never have got off the ground.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
GrimPol
June 21, 2022, 2:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from EvilFish
If people are concerned about the club losing money from a boycott, just spend more in the club shop or donate to the youth setup.

When I'm in the shop buying stuff I don't need, will the Mariners actually hear me on the pitch shouting encouragement from the shop??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
EvilFish
June 21, 2022, 2:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from GrimPol

When I'm in the shop buying stuff I don't need, will the Mariners actually hear me on the pitch shouting encouragement from the shop??

I'm sure they'll cope...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
forza ivano
June 21, 2022, 2:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
There is no 'slippery slope' toward loss of liberties, only a long staircase where each step downward must first be tolerated by the American people

quote from Alan Simpson, a US politician, which for me sums up what people are saying.
we've gone down the first step where EFL have accepted B  teams into their crappy little cup
we go down another step when the fans accept/ embrace this
another step down is accepting B teams into the League Cup
the enxt step down is fans accepting that

and so on and so on

On another scale look how Putin & Orban work - start small , then ratchet things up inch by inch and in a way that it's difficult to find a 'red line' point when they can actually be opposed and defeated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
GollyGTFC
June 21, 2022, 2:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359

They are already able to take our best young players for what is pennies to them whenever they want. Is that not enough already?

I’m not defending them or agreeing with them. But the fact is if you take money off the PL you are going to have to dance to their tune under the current way football is governed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done GTFC and trust (again)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.