6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
June 17, 2022, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Good assessment ska face, I think it's very fair to say that after an initial impact Fox struggled a little.  I wasn't that impressed with him during our bad run and, as you've said, felt there was as lot of stepping on toes.  Fox's asset is his energy and tenacity, yet he seemed to be wanting to do that holding role which doesn't really suit him.  From memory this was partly in a 3-man midfield too which may have contributed to the confusion a little.

Wouldn't begrudge him, or anyone for that matter, a move away if it's better for them.  Be disappointed as I think the Fox we saw post-injury looked to have found his feet and with Holohan was developing a pairing that wouldn't look out of place in this league.  

Equally so, I'd never heard of Ben Fox just like I hadn't heard of Gavan Holoahn.  Or Alex Hunt.... full trust in Hurst to find someone else who will kick us on again.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
Son of Cod
June 17, 2022, 9:29am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face
Not to do Fox down at all, but the Fox that came into the squad after Barnet was completely different to the one we saw in the first part of the season for my money. I think he struggled to work out his role in the first few months as Hunt liked sitting low, receiving and moving it quickly, whereas Coke and Clifton did much of the breaking up. It’s like they were all stepping on each other’s toes at times and Fox was almost a third wheel in a system they hadn’t quite clicked.

This is the key part for me when talking about early season vs late season Fox. It also really highlights how good of a partnership Fox and Holohan struck up. The value of those two being more efficient than a three in midfield or a two that was constantly being rotated can't be understated and was arguably one of the major factors in us going up.

There's absolutely no way I'd begrudge Fox a move to somewhere on more money and/or higher up as he's earnt it, but I'll definitely be a bit gutted if that happens as I think he's ready to not only step up to League 2 but to also be an influential player for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 59
ginnywings
June 17, 2022, 9:52am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Hurst himself said the balance in midfield wasn't quite right around the time he brought in Holohan and the Fox role in the team changed. That's when he showed his true worth.

He also brought in JMD because Sousa wasnt producing end results.

Point is that it wasn't working and PH solved it, which he will again if Fox and Clifton move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
Garth
June 17, 2022, 9:59am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Like a lot on here I thought Fox was garbage early in the season, maybe through injury.
But during the playoffs he was a man possessed and stood out amongst others.
If he feels he needs to move on, I'm sorry but I wish him all the best, others were discarded without a say
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 59
Poojah
June 17, 2022, 10:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,889
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from ginnywings
Hurst himself said the balance in midfield wasn't quite right around the time he brought in Holohan and the Fox role in the team changed. That's when he showed his true worth.

He also brought in JMD because Sousa wasnt producing end results.

Point is that it wasn't working and PH solved it, which he will again if Fox and Clifton move on.

This. I’m genuinely quite relaxed about the contract situation. I’d be delighted if all those we’ve offered deals to stayed, but regardless of what happens we’re going to be in a far better position than in 2016 when we found ourselves having to replace Tait, Toto, Nolan, Amond and Arnold (albeit we chose to not to retain him).

We’re going to have a much stronger base to start with than we did then, and for all kinds of reasons we’re in a position to sign far better players than we did then too.

This club is as strong as it has been in over 20 years, and will only get stronger. Relax and enjoy the ride, I say.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
LocalLadGTFC
June 17, 2022, 10:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,354
Gold Stars: 140
One thing I’ve noticed this season is the togetherness of the squad is on a completely different level. Seasons finished and you’d expect everyone to go on separate holidays with there families etc, that isn’t the case however. Fox and his wife are on holiday with Clifton and his girlfriend. Taylor,Waterfall,Wright etc all on holiday together. I know people have there doubts about Fox signing but I personally think he loves it here and knows how much the fans love him. I think it’d take something special to prize him away as I imagine there’s a multi year deal tabled by the club 👍
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 59
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 17, 2022, 1:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556

Keane and Vieira were 1 in 10 men. Kante 1 in 16.  

Fox shares more traits with the mighty Fernando Redondo who was a 1 in 41 man at Real Madrid, with similar ungainly grace, hunched gait and a scraped back ponytail like a Nunsthorpe DIY facelift.

…as I was saying…Pouton was a 1 in 10 man. Groves a 1 in 6.

Fox shares more traits with Terry Fleming, with his lack of goal threat and awkward gait, like he was running with the clothes hangar still stuffed up his shirt. Like Ray Wilkins without the butchness. A wobbly wardrobe on an uneven floor, with Rodney’s ponytail from Only Fools & Horses hanging out the back.

Only joking, Fox played a huge part in our promotion and I wish him well.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
diehardmariner
June 17, 2022, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543

…as I was saying…Pouton was a 1 in 10 man. Groves a 1 in 6.

Fox shares more traits with Terry Fleming, with his lack of goal threat and awkward gait, like he was running with the clothes hangar still stuffed up his shirt. Like Ray Wilkins without the butchness. A wobbly wardrobe on an uneven floor, with Rodney’s ponytail from Only Fools & Horses hanging out the back.

Only joking, Fox played a huge part in our promotion and I wish him well.

I think we all knew you were joking when you elevated Fox's status to that of TBZ.  
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
acko338
June 17, 2022, 8:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
I wonder if Raikhy returning very late into the fray is any sign that he could still be in Hurst's mind for this season at the higher level.

A higher level for Villa to assess his progress, and a test for the lad himself to better his playing prospects?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 59
Northbank Mariner
June 17, 2022, 8:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from acko338
I wonder if Raikhy returning very late into the fray is any sign that he could still be in Hurst's mind for this season at the higher level.

A higher level for Villa to assess his progress, and a test for the lad himself to better his playing prospects?

I had the pleasure of speaking to his dad at the notts game, said Arjan really enjoyed being at town and was open to spending more time with us..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › He's one of our own

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.