Grimsby2012
June 16, 2022, 8:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
Should sell him. Probably get a bit for him

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 59
LondonMariner43
June 16, 2022, 8:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
If Fox goes, it’s makes room for Fabregas - or maybe Jon Nolan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
Northbank Mariner
June 16, 2022, 8:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Be good see Harry stay on, his enthusiasm and drive is contagious.

As for Fox, I'd be more than a tad disappointed, not just because we'd be losing a very good player but the fact we kind of took a punt on him knowing he'd just got over a serious knee injury and had been out for nearly a full season, then he puts himself in the shop window and is off at the first sniff of a fewer extra quid. Makes me feel a little dirty tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 59
blundellpork
June 16, 2022, 8:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

As for Fox, I'd be more than a tad disappointed, not just because we'd be losing a very good player but the fact we kind of took a punt on him knowing he'd just got over a serious knee injury and had been out for nearly a full season, then he puts himself in the shop window and is off at the first sniff of a fewer extra quid. Makes me feel a little dirty tbh.

Sometimes you only get hold of these players as they’ve been out for a while. Danny Andrew was another example. You can’t blame them for wanting to move on if they believe, as many of us do, that they can play higher. Whilst I would like to retain Fox, if we hadn’t have got promoted he would have definitely gone higher. I just hope that our promotion helps retain him for another year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 59
Rodley Mariner
June 16, 2022, 8:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
We gave him a one year contract. He played a major role in getting us promoted. He doesn't owe us anything and having had a serious injury already he is probably more conscious than most of what a short career it can be. He seems a sensible bloke so hopefully we can make a decent enough offer to persuade him to stay where he's been happy and is appreciated. If not we are a considerably more attractive proposition than we were a year ago when we managed to attract a player as good as he has been.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
Poojah
June 16, 2022, 8:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,899
Gold Stars: 1,527

Football ‘innit. Erico Sousa just ran himself into the ground for the club over three attritional play-off games, and it’s off you go mate. It’s a short career; if someone is prepared to pay him substantially more money than our wage structure allows, he’s completely in his rights to take it.

All that said, given the circumstances under which we signed him it’s perhaps a little surprising we didn’t have another year’s option in his contract. Perhaps we tried, who knows.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
louth_in_the_south
June 16, 2022, 9:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from livvo

What's the scale? Is 25 Bentleys good?

I seem to remember a low Bentley scale score is a likely outcome, a high Bentley score indicates the increased level of bo.llocks .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
Southwark Mariner
June 16, 2022, 9:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
I think the difference now is any player leaving us will have nothing but praise for the club, which might come in handy for future loan players or permanent signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
aldi_01
June 16, 2022, 9:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I think the difference now is any player leaving us will have nothing but praise for the club, which might come in handy for future loan players or permanent signings.

This is key for me. Imagine anyone that’s been at the club in the last 15 years…you’d imagine they’d speak highly of the fans which is all well and good but we’re not the employers, and it wouldn’t take much of a genius to realise that’s probably been horrific over the last few years.

Players will no doubt speak highly of the club, the culture, the values and the vision. Then factor in Paul Hurst and it’s a good thing indeed…

Regardless of the Macca situation, imagine how he felt when his employer came out and essentially made him out to be a girl private publicly…if I’d have been Macca I’d have said shove ya flipping contract and enjoy losing money with your charlatan mates…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
toontown
June 16, 2022, 10:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70

I find this really bizarre - fox doesn't owe us anything, he left it all out there on the pitch for us in those games and was absolutely crucial to our promotion. He is nothing like rhe wage stealers of yesteryear. He didn't think, oh I'll probably be fine with anew contract if we don't go up, I'll just coast through these games to make sure I dont pick up an injury. He gave it absolutely everything.
Truth is we would never have got a player of his quality if it hadn't been for his injuries. We have a chance of retaining him but to be honest it's more likely he'll leave as its a short career and he isn't rich so needs to earn whilst his store is high.

As has been said, other players gave it everything too like sousa, but the club don't want him now he's helped battle our way to promotion - is he meant to feel dirty for trying to get us up because we didn't give him a new deal afterwards?

These things are part and parcel or the phrase 'that's football'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › He's one of our own

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.