Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ideas for how Grimsby Town can improve further.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Ideas for how Grimsby Town can improve further.

This thread currently has 11,005 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
June 14, 2022, 4:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,524
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from lukeo
Songs to play at 2.40pm :
Up the mariners
Pump it up
Free from desire

Then 2-3mins before kick off, give a rallying call to get behind the boys and switch a song on for a few seconds to get the crowd singing along then turn it off for the fans to continue by themselves

play those and your just like every other club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 86
June 14, 2022, 5:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think with the almost certain increase in gates we've got to come this season, an alternative plan for transport is definitely something the club/council will be looking at exploring.

The thing with park-and-rides is that they're only really going to appeal to people who come from further away than where the stops are.  So if you have them on the edges of the town, like for example at Europark, will anyone between there and BP use them?  I don't know the percentages of people who travel to games from outside the boundaries of NELC but I'd guess the bulk of numbers come from within the boundaries.

Equally so, if you're travelling from somewhere that's 2 hours away.  Let's say Nottingham for example.  Do you want to spend 2 hours in your car, then park up to spend 30 minutes on the bus to then have to spend another 20 minutes waiting for the bus to depart after the game, another 30 minutes on the bus just to find yourself 4 miles down the road with a further 2 hour journey ahead?  Realistically probably not.  That 50 minutes post game would be reduced by parking up 10 minute walk away from BP with another 20 in traffic to get away.

I'm in agreement though, something will need doing.  With gates of 5000ish it's managable.  When we got the bigger gates last season it was noticeable in terms of finding a parking space relatively close to the ground.  If we're putting another 1000 on the gate, it could get interesting.

My thinking is more about acknowledging that people will want to drive to the games, for whatever reasons.  It's about finding somewhere that's not too inconvenient for them and reduces any build-up around the ground before/after kick-off.  Off the top of my head somewhere like the Ice House (the Christian Centre, not the one on the Docks) on Victor Street is not too far away from the ground (1 mile?), certainly to the point that for most people it's a time saver walking to/from there and not sitting in lots of traffic.  Pretty much straight onto the main road and the M180 to get away or into the centre of Town if needed for other routes.  Large car park that I think wouldn't be in use on Saturday afternoons so not impacting on local business.  Perhaps a deal with the council for Grant Street Car Park too, although this isn't quite so easy to get away from after the game.

We did have a scheme for a few seasons where you showed your ST and could board a bus going towards the ground for free. I was disappointed when that was shelved. I always thought it was a cracking idea and would like to see that brought back despite now having a disability pass which I can use in GY.
Reply: 51 - 86
TownSNAFU5
June 14, 2022, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
The Club Shop would increase sales by having 2 doors, instead of everyone trying to get in and out at the same time.

And by having floor space that is about 4 times the size, for accessibility to current stock and for selling a wider-range of products.  (This perhaps could be a longer-term plan).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
TuckerJenkins
June 14, 2022, 6:05pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +68
Gold Stars: 1

My thinking is more about acknowledging that people will want to drive to the games, for whatever reasons.  It's about finding somewhere that's not too inconvenient for them and reduces any build-up around the ground before/after kick-off.  Off the top of my head somewhere like the Ice House (the Christian Centre, not the one on the Docks) on Victor Street is not too far away from the ground (1 mile?), certainly to the point that for most people it's a time saver walking to/from there and not sitting in lots of traffic.  Pretty much straight onto the main road and the M180 to get away or into the centre of Town if needed for other routes.  Large car park that I think wouldn't be in use on Saturday afternoons so not impacting on local business.  Perhaps a deal with the council for Grant Street Car Park too, although this isn't quite so easy to get away from after the game.

Agree with this, đź’Ż

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
Withnail
June 14, 2022, 6:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Withnail
I would love a banging sound system at BP with some choice tunes to razz up the crowd before the game.

I don't mean music for us to run out to, or to drown out the crowd, but more uplifting songs to get the crowd jumping beforehand.

Summat like,

Gonna Fly Now (Rocky theme tune) by Bill Conti (I'm sure I've heard this played at BP before a game, back in the 90s). https://youtu.be/ioE_O7Lm0I4

Or, and this is a bit left field, but rather than the obvious (insert track from ACDC/Led Zep/White Stripes/Foos/Jay Z/Kendrick/Neil Diamond etc...how about The William Tell overture Final, https://youtu.be/j3T8-aeOrbg

I recently read about a former DJ who used to have a bit of fun with his choice of tracks before and after Cardiff City's home games. Apparently he played The Addams Family theme tune as Swansea ran out on to the pitch at Cardiff in the South Wales derby.

He's also accredited with Ajax's long standing affiliation with Bob Marley's Three Little Birds, which he played in a bid to calm Ajax fans after they were kept in Ninian Park after the final whistle by the police following a friendly at Cardiff.

Think this would be a good one following a McAtee inspired victory at BP. https://youtu.be/T38v3-SSGcM

I also like the idea of The Smith's Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, following a home defeat, which another poster recalled hearing some years ago, at a northwest club, possibly Stockport?

I posted the wrong Rocky track - I meant this one, but judging by the red crosses on my previous post I'm on my own. I'll sing on my own...

https://youtu.be/hKQioyQDowU
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 86
grimps
June 14, 2022, 6:48pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,174
Gold Stars: 46

I think with the almost certain increase in gates we've got to come this season, an alternative plan for transport is definitely something the club/council will be looking at exploring.

The thing with park-and-rides is that they're only really going to appeal to people who come from further away than where the stops are.  So if you have them on the edges of the town, like for example at Europark, will anyone between there and BP use them?  I don't know the percentages of people who travel to games from outside the boundaries of NELC but I'd guess the bulk of numbers come from within the boundaries.

Equally so, if you're travelling from somewhere that's 2 hours away.  Let's say Nottingham for example.  Do you want to spend 2 hours in your car, then park up to spend 30 minutes on the bus to then have to spend another 20 minutes waiting for the bus to depart after the game, another 30 minutes on the bus just to find yourself 4 miles down the road with a further 2 hour journey ahead?  Realistically probably not.  That 50 minutes post game would be reduced by parking up 10 minute walk away from BP with another 20 in traffic to get away.

I'm in agreement though, something will need doing.  With gates of 5000ish it's managable.  When we got the bigger gates last season it was noticeable in terms of finding a parking space relatively close to the ground.  If we're putting another 1000 on the gate, it could get interesting.

I’ve always parked in Meggies and walked from there , I grew up on Isaacs Hill so the walk to me is a bit of a tradition and only takes 20 or so minutes .
There’s loads of car parking space near the station that’s always empty.

I’m not sure what’s being done with the old Ramsdens site now but they used to have a big car park behind there too that’s only ten minutes walk from the ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
RonMariner
June 14, 2022, 7:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
We should definitely investigate temporary seating in the open corners, we will probably need that at some stage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
FishySmithy
June 14, 2022, 8:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Would love a good campaign (Name to follow) we’re we encourage fans to not go in on each other and shoot people down/gang up/ (form of online bullying btw) on individuals because of an opinion they have voiced and they don’t agree with it.

Promoting if we don’t agree on what is said then simply don’t comment at all , it happens far too often with our fan base even amongst all The positivity.

Resorting to verbally abusing fellow humans/fans, is not ok. It can have a determent affect on other peoples mental health and lives that you may not see just by one comment.

With our positive owners think we could make significant strides to improving online fan interactions as we as a club promote #greater together ethos and form a culture for generations to come
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 86
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 14, 2022, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from FishySmithy
Would love a good campaign (Name to follow) we’re we encourage fans to not go in on each other and shoot people down/gang up/ (form of online bullying btw) on individuals because of an opinion they have voiced and they don’t agree with it.

Promoting if we don’t agree on what is said then simply don’t comment at all , it happens far too often with our fan base even amongst all The positivity.

Resorting to verbally abusing fellow humans/fans, is not ok. It can have a determent affect on other peoples mental health and lives that you may not see just by one comment.

With our positive owners think we could make significant strides to improving online fan interactions as we as a club promote #greater together ethos and form a culture for generations to come

❄️

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
HackneyHaddock
June 14, 2022, 10:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
We're all hoping to see BP packed out next season, with 4500/5000 season ticket holders, the return of decent away crowds and 1500-2000 walk-up fans, so the main things that need to be done would be:

-  Expanding capacity of BP.  Not easy as regulations on ingress/egress, segregation and safety have changed even since BP went all-seater.  At the very least, it would be good to see a temporary stand in the Harrington Street corner.  If possible, maybe the Main/Osmond corner "the cage" could be opened out.

-  Transport.  If we're going to be getting 6500-8500 most weeks, and if we're going to bandy about phrases like "green" and "sustainability", then we really need to have a proper plan to enable more people to get to BP without driving all the way up to the ground.

That doesn't mean *no-one* can drive to BP, but there are plenty of people who could either park further away and walk in (explore remote car parks), would take a bus if it was more direct (and then have a drink at the game), or in some cases, even cycle to the game.  Club, council and bus company need to work together to have a better transport plan.  For example, if you want to get back to Waltham or New Waltham, you need to take a bus back through Town, taking 45-60 minutes, plus waiting time. Direct buses from and to those areas taking 25 minutes, could potentially remove hundreds of car journeys from the roads and alleviate parking pressure around the ground.  Could existing routes and train/bus times be better publicised?

This fits in with B-Corp principles, and would also start to pre-empt and handle some of the objections that people will inevitably have when the time comes for more permanent expansion of BP or eventually a relocation.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ideas for how Grimsby Town can improve further.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.