Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we keep?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 251 Guests

Who do we keep?

This thread currently has 16,664 views. Print
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
thevera
June 7, 2022, 7:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
It may have already been mentioned but I would like to keep Paul Hurst. Hate to think other clubs may be looking at him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 135
Davec
June 7, 2022, 7:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Unless I heard it wrong, but I am sure Hurst said to Tondeur on the open top bus tour that he has nopt spoken to any of the players yet and it may stretch into next week until we find out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 135
Poojah
June 7, 2022, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,879
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from thevera
It may have already been mentioned but I would like to keep Paul Hurst. Hate to think other clubs may be looking at him.

I get the impression, and have done all season, that he feels very settled here this time around. He’s working for good owners who have given him the funds and remit to make significant change behind the scenes, and stuck by him in the winter when many wouldn’t have.

He’ll be well aware that the Ipswich and Scunny jobs weren’t good moves for him, and he’ll think very carefully before looking to leave us a second time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 135
Maringer
June 7, 2022, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Amazed so many think we should release Cropper given what he's offered since he came into the team.

We won 7 and lost just 1 of the 11 games in which he played (and he had to go offer after half an hour in that one). How exactly is that not showing enough from open play? Doesn't get forward as much as Efete with the ball at his feet, but I'd say the long throw is a more effective tool in both attack and defence. Defensively, he's certainly a match for Efete at the very least. Wouldn't surprise me if we tried to keep both of them on the books, but I don't think they will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 135
Maringer
June 7, 2022, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Regarding Hurst, the Ipswich job was a big one (and all but impossible), but I expect it was pretty well-paid despite the lack of success. If it has paid for his mortgage and left a nest egg for the future, then you can see why he's now a more relaxed character than during the first spell at the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 135
BottesfordMariner
June 9, 2022, 12:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from mariner91

Players out of contract.

Max Crocombe - Offer new contract
James McKeown - regrettably release. On too much money to be on the bench.
Danny Amos - keep as back up only
Adam Crookes - release
Jordan Cropper - Offer new contract as back up RB
Michie Efete - Offer new contract
Jaz Goundry - Release
Scott Burgess - Release
Giles Coke - Release
Ben Fox -  3 year contract if possible
Evan Khouri - Release
Erico Sousa - Difficult one. I have a feeling he will be released, not enough end product in NL let alone L2.
Max Wright - Difficult one. I would probably release with regret but no point having a player that only plays 15 games a season.
Luis Adlard - Release
Lennell John-Lewis - Release
Sean Scannell - Sort out his rehab and see what he looks like when fit again.
Ryan Taylor. - Offer new contract

Andy Smith - Attempt to sign
Joey Jones - No thanks, awful
Arjay Raikhy - I reckon we could get a better loanee next season but thanks for your efforts and best of luck in the future.
Tristan Abraham - Thanks for your efforts and all the best.
Manuel Dieseruvwe -  Offer a contract. There's something in there that's worth working with.

Then I think you'd be looking for a couple of centre backs, a new first choice left back, two new wide players, at least one new centre mid to challenge Fox and Holohan and a new striker as the bare minimum for signings. Oh and tell Maguire-Drew that he really needs to actually get fit or he'll be forever on the bench. He was puffing more at the start of extra time than Clifton was who'd played an hour more.

I suspect this time PH will be supported properly by the board. He will get the backroom staff and facilities he needs. And he'll be backed in the transfer window. The signings coming in will be a damn sight better than James Berrett and Ashley Chambers.

Pretty much agree with all that.

But I am not totally sold on Mani. He scored some big goals down the stretch but i think we need better. What we really lack is a proper finisher who can get 20+ goals in L2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 135
ginnywings
June 9, 2022, 2:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

But I am not totally sold on Mani. He scored some big goals down the stretch but i think we need better. What we really lack is a proper finisher who can get 20+ goals in L2.

McAtee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 135
Maringer
June 9, 2022, 2:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BottesfordMariner

Just to point out, including the play-offs, we've played 47 League games this season just gone and scored 78 goals, with McAtee the top scorer on 16 and nobody else even into double figures. That's more goals than any team in League Two scored in 46 games.

As Tshimanga's injury showed (shades of Liam Hearn here as well), if you're reliant on a single player for the vast majority of your goals, then one bit of bad luck can pretty much finish off your season.

A striker scoring 20+ would be nice but having one or two getting into the teens alongside a healthy contribution from the other strikers, wingers, midfielders and defenders seems to be preferable. We can always hope for somebody to go on a scoring streak whilst everyone else is chipping in at the same time but we were too reliant on McAtee at times, as our terrible run without him in the team showed.

Our wide players scored almost 20 goals between them (most coming from Clifton and JMD), so I'd like to see that repeated and perhaps improved on next season. We can't expect to score as many from set pieces as this year, even if we keep Cropper. One area we definitely did lack goals was from central midfield - just 6 scored between all our central midfielders. I'm not counting Clifton as a CM in this regard as he only played a couple of games in the middle that I can recall.

Has anybody managed to clone Paul Groves yet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 135
diehardmariner
June 9, 2022, 2:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Maringer

Has anybody managed to clone Paul Groves yet?

Holohan scored 3 in 11 for us.  Over the course of  a full season that pans out to over double figures, comfortably.  

After an initial impact, I thought Holohan tailed off a bit in the final stages of the season and looked a bit leggy.  Which is to be expected when you consider he came straight into our starting eleven having played 15 minutes in the previous two months.

With a full pre-season under him I think he'll be a huge player for us.  He's got a knack of finding himself in the right place at the right time and with sharper finishing could have easily doubled his goals tally for us.
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 135
MuddyWaters
June 9, 2022, 2:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner

Holhan scored 3 in 11 for us.  Over the course of  a full season that pans out to over double figures, comfortably.  

After an initial impact, I thought Holohan tailed off a bit in the final stages of the season and looked a bit leggy.  Which is to be expected when you consider he came straight into our starting eleven having played 15 minutes in the previous two months.

With a full pre-season under him I think he'll be a huge player for us.  He's got a knack of finding himself in the right place at the right time and with sharper finishing could have easily doubled his goals tally for us.

I couldn't agree less - thought Holohan improved during the play-offs and was particularly good v Wrexham
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 135
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we keep?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.