Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we keep?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 231 Guests

Who do we keep?

This thread currently has 16,674 views. Print
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
June 7, 2022, 11:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Had a good think about this now

Under contract:
Defenders
Longe-king
Pearson

Midfield:
Holohan

Attackers:
McAtee
Maguire-Drew

Make Longe-King available for transfer, just hasn't worked.

Offer new deals:
Crocombe - 1 Year

Amos - 1 Year - Ever since he's been told to toughen up, hes been great, and made some brilliant interceptions on Sunday
Cropper - 1 Year - Done ok, but only 22, so worth a chance in league football
Efete - 1 Year, struggled with injuries at points of the season, but been good when playing
Waterfall - 1 Year - 31, played over 40 games last season, and been a total different player than this time last year

Clifton - 2 Year - More than just a local lad, he's had a very good season, and our most capped midfielder
Fox - 3 year - go all out on him, can play league 1 IMO

Sousa - 1 Year - worth a shot, won't be a high earner
Taylor - 1 Year - Now 34, so wouldn't expect him to be our main man next season, despite doing well this season.

That gives us
Goalkeeper - 1
Defenders - 5, not including Longe-King
Midfielder - 3
Forward - 4

I'm most intrigued about how he deals with Scannell. He's more than good enough, but won't be available till the end of the year i believe?

So still a busy summer, but not as mental as last season  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 135
GollyGTFC
June 7, 2022, 11:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,069
Gold Stars: 359
2 things to consider.

We had a bigger wage budget this season in the NL than we did for any of ours seasons in L2 under the previous ownership.

On Sunday we went from the prospect of a 2nd NL season with a final parachute payment of around £225,000 and £10,000 from BT Sport to a combined £1.1m from the EFL TV deal and the PL solidarity payments.

Surely our budget will be at a level where we can attract the quality of player that we couldn’t previously in L2. I think there will be more signings than some seem to think.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 111 - 135
mariner91
June 7, 2022, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GollyGTFC
2 things to consider.

We had a bigger wage budget this season in the NL than we did for any of ours seasons in L2 under the previous ownership.

On Sunday we went from the prospect of a 2nd NL season with a final parachute payment of around £225,000 and £10,000 from BT Sport to a combined £1.1m from the EFL TV deal and the PL solidarity payments.

Surely our budget will be at a level where we can attract the quality of player that we couldn’t previously in L2. I think there will be more signings than some seem to think.

I would expect 6-8 signings but I expect the quality of the signings will be very good. Last time we got promoted we were signing basement bargain stuff. James Berrett, Ashley Chambers, Scott Vernon, Andrew Boyce, Tom Bolarinwa, Sean McAllister were all very disappointing signings. The only player that summer we signed that could be described as quality was Danny Andrew and I suspect most of our signings this summer will be along those lines rather than James Berrett *shudders*.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 135
Marinerdan
June 7, 2022, 11:53am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
I’d like to see the bulk of the squad retained if possible bar a few that maybe won’t be able to cut it in league 2. We’ll also need a bigger squad to due to transfer windows and 7 subs. I hope we can retain Fox but I’m worried either a league 1 club or a moneybags club will come in and offer him a ridiculous salary we can’t match. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if Wrexham came in for him given his performance against them in the playoffs.

There’s also no point in releasing 19 year olds as we now have more capacity to have them in the squad or loan them out and see how they develop.

We’ve got to League 2 through grit and togetherness, that’s not easy to replicate. I’d be fairly confident the squad we have now would be comfortably mid table in league 2. With a few top quality additions I’d hope we can hit the ground running and  push for the playoffs.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 135
monkeyboy
June 7, 2022, 12:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
How boring would it be in the off season without some gossip.

its like torture waiting for the new season and most of us are constantly checking to see who we have signed. what are we to do with the dead time??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 135
FishySmithy
June 7, 2022, 1:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
I would try and sign/get a season long loan for Smith,

Would also seek to acquire Harry Boyes on loan (Solihull number 7, NL team of the season) from Sheffield United.

Somewhat controversial I would keep Sousa incase he tweaks his game and his end product clicks.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 135
Mariner_09
June 7, 2022, 1:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Now we've had a couple of days since the final to enjoy the elation, I can look it maybe more objectively.

KEEPERS
Battersby - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, preferably 2/3 years (if he is as promising as some say) and loan out next season.
Crocombe - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, has massively improved since he came into the side, made a great save in the final and caught crosses superbly.
McKeown - RELEASE

That's going to require us to sign a new keeper, if we really are going for back-to-back promotions, that may involve a new keeper who is better than Crocombe but I don't view it as a massive priority.

FULL BACKS
Efete - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, maybe 2 years, he's definitely good enough to be a top L2 full-back with his athleticism and threat he carries. Need to get him on some kind of conditioning routine to try and prevent these recurring injuries.
Cropper - RELEASE, it's a difficult one for this but notwithstanding his long throw, I don't think he's a up to it as a L2 right back, he looks a bit suspect defensively and gives away the ball. If Efete is first choice again, you need some very good cover because he likely won't be able to play 30/40% of the games with injuries.
Amos - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, I'm not sure he's your first choice LB in L2 if we're going for it next season. But I would keep him because he's been very solid, he's got a great engine and has always been fit. As cover, he'll be what we need.
Crookes - RELEASE

That requires 2 new full backs. A backup right back and a first choice LB

CENTRE HALVES
Waterfall - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, potentially becoming club captain. I don't share this perception that he has a lot to prove at L2 level. He was more than capable in the 19/20 season, think he got scapegoated a bit last season and was surrounded by an awful squaf otherwise. If we're really going for it next season, I'm not sure he'll be first choice if we're really going for it, but he's already here, he's a fantastic professional, he's a massive threat from set pieces.
Pearson - ALREADY CONTRACTED, he'll be 4th choice in L2, especially if we are challenging but he'd mooted the potential of moving into a coaching role. His value to the squad, the club and the community are incalculable. Think he'll be in the building for a while yet.  
Longe-King - TRANSFER LIST - He looked good but by the sounds of it, hasn't settled in NE Lics so best to let him go down south, someone like Bromley or Dagenham will probably sign him.
Smith - TRY AND RE-SIGN?, Hull are gonna throw money galore it at by all accounts so they won't want him, maybe now we're in L2 it may be worth exploring a season long loan, it'll be a long shot but I'm sure Hursty will ask the question. Certainly good enough for the top end of the league above.

We'll need to sign at least 2 new CB's, one of those maybe Smith.

MIDFIELDERS
Holohan - ALREADY CONTRACTED, pretty sure he's good enough for the league, he'd played lots for Hartlepool earlier this season who were comfortably in upper mid table. If we're going for it, we made need someone slightly better as first choice but again he's got so many good attributes he'll be invaluable in the league.
Fox - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, 2-3 years if we can. He's only had one injury and it was a tendon, not a muscle injury so he's proved his fitness now. May struggle to keep hold of him but he's easily good enough to get us challenging in the league.
Clifton - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, I agree with those who say he's our James Milner. He gives 100% every game, he has a fantastic engine, never lets us down, is always fit and is very versatile. I'm not sure he's a first choice league winger but he'll play a lot of games even as a squad player next season if he signs cos he can cover CM, LM, RM and will do a good job. As a local lad, I think he'll sign now we're in the league.
Burgess - RELEASE, would've been regardless of promotion
Coke - RELEASE, he does the Shef Weds podcast and is generally considered a legend round there, I don't think we can keep Pearson and Coke on in the backroom staff so I expect him to go off back to South Yorkshire in some coaching capacity.
Jones - GO BACK, see Burgess
Raikhy - GO BACK, if he hadn't got injured I don't think he'd have missed many games since he came in, he had more composure on the ball than most at this level, Villa will probably want to send him out again but I wonder if Hursty will want to sign a deep lying playmaker permanently.

Think we'll be signing 2, or even 3, new central midfielders even if Harry and Fox sign, especially given Clifton is only half a central midfielder if you like.

WINGERS
Sousa - RELEASE, that one's a tricky one but I'm not sure he's good enough for the league. Hursty might disagree with me and I wouldn't argue if he was retained. We're certainly going to need better as a first choice right sided winger if we want to challenge.
Scannell - SORT OF RETAIN, I'd like to see us continue to do his rehab, he'll have player insurance so he can afford to live during his lay off and then come early next year we can see if he can prove his fitness, if he can, he's easily good enough for the league still.
Maguire-Drew - ALREADY CONTRACTED, he may have scored the winner but he still has a lot to prove. He's never going to be an athlete but I could see a role for him as a backup winger next season, think he'll benefit from a full Hurst pre-season.
Wright - RELEASE, such a sad reality but his body doesn't look up to the rigours of professional football. On talent and attitude alone, he'd easily be good enough for the league. Hope he carves himself out a career somewhere.

That leaves us needing at least 2 and probably 3 wide players.

FORWARDS
McAtee - ALREADY CONTRACTED, offer him a 3 year extension on double the money. Protect our asset. If he stays fit, and maybe improves his fitness and stamina, he'll be one of the best players in L2.
Taylor - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, not sure he'll be first choice in a side challenging next season, he can only do 70 mins and is nearly 34, having been out of the league for a year now. Clearly a top pro and his quality is undiminished, hence I see a role for him.
MANI - GO BACK - Harsh as it is to say, I think there's some rose tinted glasses going on here. Hursty was in two minds about picking him on the bench at Meadow Lane, if we're keeping Taylor, I don't think we need another target man in the reserves. Nevertheless, he was vital for our promotion and is a cult legend forever.
ABRAHAMS - GO BACK, again did his job, he's a bit limited, but was great to bring on to harry and chase tired defenders in ET, scored a couple of crucial goals too but he's not league quality.
Lenny - RELEASE, he'll rock up at York next season

That leaves us needing 2 forwards, preferably one of them being a goal scorer.

I don't know enough about the young lads to comment, and they're a bonus in terms of squad numbers anyway.

Even if everyone signs, Hursty still needs to sign between 9 and 11 new players if we're serious about challenging for consecutive promotions.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 135
FishySmithy
June 7, 2022, 3:19pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
KEEPERS
Battersby - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, preferably 2/3 years (if he is as promising as some say) and loan out next season.
Crocombe - OFFER NEW CONTRACT, has massively improved since he came into the side, made a great save in the final and caught

Thaequire us to sign a new keeper, if we really are going for back-to-back promotions, that may involve a new keeper who is better than Crocombe but I don't view it as a massive priority.- 100% First Choice Proved his quality this season.

FULL BACKS

Quoted Text
Cropper - RELEASE
[/b][b], it's a difficult one for this but notwithstanding his long throw, I don't think he's a up to it as a L2 right back, he looks a bit suspect defensively and gives away the ball. If Efete is first choice again, you need some very good cover because he likely won't be able to play 30/40% of the games with injuries.- Jokes Right  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 135
norfuk mariner
June 7, 2022, 4:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/spor.....475dbea40c61c4f5bd5c

Smith is making encouraging noises  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 135
gtfc_chris
June 7, 2022, 4:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
Max Crocombe - Renew - Solid season. Likely to be better keepers out there but I think he's earned a place in L2 with us.

James McKeown - Release. Sad for his journey to come to and end but it's clear his time has arrived.

Danny Amos - Renew - As with Crocombe I think there's likely to be better but I think he's done ok. He may not end up first choice but I'd happily have him in the team.

Adam Crookes - Release. Nothing against him, done well but I think Amos was better and I don't think PH will keep players around simply for the sake of it.

Jordan Cropper - Release. Tough one! His throws have been invaluable but I haven't really rated him in his general play. For his throws to be effective he'd need to be on the pitch but there's definitely better out there and so I don't see him having a long term future here.

Michie Efete - Renew. Possibly only a year as he's had a couple of injuries but a good player who I think could do well at L2.

Jaz Goundry - Renew and loan, let's give youth a bit longer to prove their credentials.

Scott Burgess - Release. Surplus to requirements

Giles Coke - Release. Loved his attitude and work ethic but won't cut the mustard.

Ben Fox - Renew!! Give him years!!!

Evan Khouri - Renew for same reasons as Goundry.

Erico Sousa. Tough! I'd give him one year and see. His end product has been poor but he has something, however fleeting. Perhaps the trust shown in him might settle any nerves, confidence or whatever affects that last bit and we'll see an improved player.

Max Wright - Release. Too injury prone, not going to be worthwhile.

Luis Adlard - Renew. Give him chance to develop and see what we have on our hands.

Lennell John-Lewis - Release. Big fan of Lenny but can't see how he'll fit and is not the required standard.

Sean Scannell - Release. Sad as he is class but sentiment can't get in the way. Hopefully the Club will look after him, keep him training and perhaps if he can prove fitness offer him a 'pay as you play deal' but I can't see this happening.

Ryan Taylor.
- Renew. I don't see him being our focal goalscorer but he hasn't let us down this season and I think we have to retain some experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 135
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who do we keep?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.