Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield.....Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 250 Guests

Chesterfield.....Match Thread

This thread currently has 32,047 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
August 16, 2021, 10:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Marinerdan

Fully agree with this. Same could be said for James Hanson too. From memory most of the higher profile strikes we’ve brought in have been at best average (Hannah, Brodie, Jennings, Vernon, Cook, Clark - I’m sure there are loads more).

Aside from Bogle most of our better recent strikers came in with little fanfare.

Not just recently.
Think of a major "marquee" striker signing in the last 50 years that has scored goals and been a success? I can't think of any. Tees was high profile for GTFC but for any other team, their fans would be asking why have we signed this stream of urine!
Lee Ashcroft was moderate to poor and we sold him for a loss. Others like Jimmy Gilligan were shite. Our great successes as signings have been taking a punt from non-league, signings from local clubs for relatively modest fees - Jack Lewis, Mendonca Hobson, Donovan and Kilmore, or players like Woods Tony Rees, Reddy and Amond who had not really done anything special anywhere else. Our other great strikers have been home grown - Drinkell Wilkinson Ford...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 252
chaos33
August 16, 2021, 11:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
To be fair, Mendonca went on to be a great success elsewhere. Can’t remember what we got for him.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 252
Limerick Mariner
August 16, 2021, 11:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from chaos33
To be fair, Mendonca went on to be a great success elsewhere. Can’t remember what we got for him.
We paid alot less for him than Lee Ashcroft. Probably alot lower wages. I lived in Preston when we signed Ashcroft and knew friends of his - he said he didn't really want to go to Grimsby but the money was too good to turn down.

There was Birtles as well who was high profile but we didn't pay anything for him.

One other point - Holloway had the chance to sign a player who might just have got enough goals to keep us up, but he said he was shite - Ryan Loft. Only 9 goals last season but in a hopeless team - a few goals in all those draws when we were edging the possession stats might have been enough for us. And he played 43 games unlike our sick notes...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 252
DB
August 16, 2021, 11:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from golfer
We need wingers

Misread it, thought you said whingers. I thought there's plenty on here.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 252
August 16, 2021, 11:21am
Guest User
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Not just recently.
Think of a major "marquee" striker signing in the last 50 years that has scored goals and been a success? I can't think of any. Tees was high profile for GTFC but for any other team, their fans would be asking why have we signed this stream of urine!
Lee Ashcroft was moderate to poor and we sold him for a loss. Others like Jimmy Gilligan were shite. Our great successes as signings have been taking a punt from non-league, signings from local clubs for relatively modest fees - Jack Lewis, Mendonca Hobson, Donovan and Kilmore, or players like Woods Tony Rees, Reddy and Amond who had not really done anything special anywhere else. Our other great strikers have been home grown - Drinkell Wilkinson Ford...

Michael Boulding

Reply: 224 - 252
golfer
August 16, 2021, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from golfer
We need wingers

We also need the midfield supporting the forwards and pushing up more
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 252
Poojah
August 16, 2021, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from chaos33

£750k wasn’t it? The sale of Mendonca and Oster really paved the way for our 97/98 squad - easy to forget we spent over £1m in transfer fees, a figure I doubt we’ve ever been close to matching either before or since.

Money well spent though.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 252
pen penfras
August 16, 2021, 11:35am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Poojah

£750k wasn’t it? The sale of Mendonca and Oster really paved the way for our 97/98 squad - easy to forget we spent over £1m in transfer fees, a figure I doubt we’ve ever been close to matching either before or since.

Money well spent though.

I thought Mendonca was out of contract when he left, but turns out we did get a decent fee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 252
Swansea_Mariner
August 16, 2021, 11:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
I think we paid 85k for Mendonca, an absolute steal at that price, but like you say he was certainly no marquee signing at that point, same goes for most of the decent strikers I've seen for town. Boulding, Connell, Hearn all fall into that bucket. Gary Jones was a last minute signing if I remember.

Ready is probably the exception, he certainly felt like a bit of a coup, maybe Neilson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 252
cannylad68
August 16, 2021, 12:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
If you mention Wilkinson, Ford, Drinkell, then you should also add Gary Lund.

An expensive striker who didn't actually do it for us.  Phil Hubbard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 252
26 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield.....Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.