Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 247 Guests

What the club needs to get back in the league

This thread currently has 10,968 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
April 24, 2021, 2:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
I think anyone who wants rid of Hurst needs there head examining, he's clearly by a distance the best available manager to us. He got us promoted last time with mid table budgets, did an amazing job at Shrewsbury. And while we've been relegated - we have played much better since he has got better.

I hope he gets rid of most of the players - leave (excluding kids) 4 or 5 pros and start a fresh with hungry players, clearly there are problems with this squad of players. Get rid of em and start again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 87
aldi_01
April 24, 2021, 2:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I mean there’s an argument that he should never have been allowed to leave in the first place.

I know people like to cry becauee he dared to speak the truth and was then misquoted and he upset a handful of precious little souls with his ear cupping but he will be up there with Buckley as a manger who got us promoted.

Had Fenty not been a girl private then perhaps Hurst wouldn’t have had his head turned as easily...would that team he assembled in the wake of a summer of penny pinching stayed the pace? May be not but it had character and was winning games...we had something to build on.

Sadly, as with everything at town under Fenty it was done on the cheap and we learned absolutely no lessons from spending 6 years in non league...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 87
Sir Matt Tease
April 24, 2021, 2:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I think anyone who wants rid of Hurst needs there head examining, he's clearly by a distance the best available manager to us. He got us promoted last time with mid table budgets, did an amazing job at Shrewsbury. And while we've been relegated - we have played much better since he has got better.

I hope he gets rid of most of the players - leave (excluding kids) 4 or 5 pros and start a fresh with hungry players, clearly there are problems with this squad of players. Get rid of em and start again.

Why would anyone questioning Hurst's tenure need their head examining ?

When he took over we were outside of the drop zone 3 points above the relegation places. We are now 9 points from safety with 4 games left.

Any other manager with this record would be sacked !

P    W    D    L    F    A     Pts
21   3     8    10  14-27    17

That's 17 points out of a possible 63 !

As you rightly say the football has improved slightly, but would you be happy playing a little bit better but still not winning ? And he has had a transfer window in which to bring in his preferred players !

If you are happy with this then I'm afraid it's YOU who needs your head examined !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 87
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 24, 2021, 2:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from horsforthmariner

If he is assured of a job by the new owners come what may then Hurst is on a win-win. But that does not absolve him from blame in my book. Yes, he inherited poor players with some crap attitudes but as Sir Matt shows, the results speak for themselves. He will not have a miracle budget but I would hate to see that used as an excuse for mediocrity and a mid table position. We need to be well placed in the play-off spots by Christmas or Hurst needs to go. Never mind giving him more time, we tried that before and he took years.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 87
StaffsMariner
April 24, 2021, 2:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
To say PH bought in his prefered players in a January window is plain stupid. the amount of players available in January is miniscule compared to the summer window. We do have a better squad now than we had at christmas or do you believe Taylor, Preston, Morton etc would improve us now?
Hurst got what he could that was available (you dont tend to find a 30 goal a season striker up for grabs in Jan for instance)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 87
Sir Matt Tease
April 24, 2021, 2:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from StaffsMariner
To say PH bought in his prefered players in a January window is plain stupid. the amount of players available in January is miniscule compared to the summer window. We do have a better squad now than we had at christmas or do you believe Taylor, Preston, Morton etc would improve us now?
Hurst got what he could that was available (you dont tend to find a 30 goal a season striker up for grabs in Jan for instance)

So what you are saying is, the players that Hurst brought in during the window he did not want ?

And you say I'm plain stupid !!!!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 87
StaffsMariner
April 24, 2021, 2:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
No. I'm saying thats the best he could get when we needed so many bringing in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 87
forza ivano
April 24, 2021, 3:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

So what you are saying is, the players that Hurst brought in during the window he did not want ?

And you say I'm plain stupid !!!!!!

urrrh, i think you are being plain stupid.
it's obvious that the players available in January is a miniscule amount compared to the size of the summer market. So the supply is hugely diminished, but the demand is still the same - all 92 clubs will be looking to make 1 or 2 signings at least. Therefore when supply outstrips demand the available players will obviously have a lot more choice, and a side bottom of the 92 is going to be at the bottom of their list of options. Therefore it's highly unlikely that the players Hurst brought in will have been at the top of his wish list. Those at the top were no doubt not available, and then others will have chosen to move elsewhere. He is therefore reduced to making the most of a bad job
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 87
Quagmire
April 24, 2021, 3:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from StaffsMariner
We do have a better squad now than we had at christmas

If we have a better squad now than pre Christmas, how come the results & PPG are worse?

Any other manager with that record would have been shown the door.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 87
Sir Matt Tease
April 24, 2021, 3:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

urrrh, i think you are being plain stupid.
it's obvious that the players available in January is a miniscule amount compared to the size of the summer market. So the supply is hugely diminished, but the demand is still the same - all 92 clubs will be looking to make 1 or 2 signings at least. Therefore when supply outstrips demand the available players will obviously have a lot more choice, and a side bottom of the 92 is going to be at the bottom of their list of options. Therefore it's highly unlikely that the players Hurst brought in will have been at the top of his wish list. Those at the top were no doubt not available, and then others will have chosen to move elsewhere. He is therefore reduced to making the most of a bad job

So what you are saying is, because we are 92nd we will only ever be able to buy excrement players ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.