Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 293 Guests

What the club needs to get back in the league

This thread currently has 10,972 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
April 22, 2021, 8:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
As Crawley, Fleetwood and Luton demonstrated last time we were down there, you need to spend big on good players to get out.

We need at least four players who are in their prime, say late twenties, currently holding their own in either a top L2 or mid L1 outfit.

They will not come cheap, but they will come if you pay them well enough.

My shopping list would be two strong midfielders, a striker who scored regularly, and a commanding CB. Bring those in as a nucleus and some of our existing players such a Wright, Spokes, and Clifton can assist in various games to varying degrees.  

But relying on kids, crocks and has beens which seems to have been what to expect under Fenty will condemn us to years in the NL. Thankfully I believe the new owners are smarter than that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 87
ginnywings
April 22, 2021, 9:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
You don't need world beaters to win the National League. You need a team, playing as a team, well organised and playing for each other, with a core of regulars believing in what the manager is doing.

When Lincoln won it, they had Matt Rhead as top scorer with 15 goals and Nathan Arnold with 12.

They had a back 5 containing Farman, Harbergham, Waterfall and Bradley Wood. Hardly world beaters.

They got on a roll and became unstoppable, winning many games at the death with late goals because they expected to win and were full of confidence. Their cup runs took on a life of their own.

They clearly had a good manager too who had proved with Braintree that he could get results with hard working players working to a plan.

Can Hurst replicate this quickly? I think he could but time will tell. He's done it before and got the better of the Cowleys along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 87
Theimperialcoroner
April 22, 2021, 10:08pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103

Unless they’re called Dino or Hugo.

Exactly.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 87
Vance Warner
April 22, 2021, 10:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,833
Gold Stars: 106
What do we need - stability and time. I’d give Hurst two seasons at least. Any less and we’re looking at another huge turnover of players and taking a risk on someone else. My worry is the usual suspects will be calling for his head if we’re not top by October. Thankfully I get the impression the new owners can see the big picture and won’t make panicky decisions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 87
ginnywings
April 22, 2021, 10:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere but I think there are now 6 teams in the National League play offs. We should be able to at least make the top seven I would have thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 87
Sir Matt Tease
April 22, 2021, 10:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Vance Warner
What do we need - stability and time. I’d give Hurst two seasons at least. Any less and we’re looking at another huge turnover of players and taking a risk on someone else. My worry is the usual suspects will be calling for his head if we’re not top by October. Thankfully I get the impression the new owners can see the big picture and won’t make panicky decisions.

FFS !

Why not give him a ten year contract ?

That might just be long enough to get us promoted !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 87
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 22, 2021, 10:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Vance Warner

I completely agree with you.

The problem is that the one automatic promotion place leaves little margin for error.

I am a Hurst sycophant but I would fancy him to get us up to League 1 (if by miracle we stayed up) in 2 years over getting us up from the NL in two years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 87
forza ivano
April 22, 2021, 10:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from jimgtfc
Wouldn’t be surprised to see PH go after Abu Ogogo again. Not been playing at Bristol Rovers and out of contract in the summer. Wasn’t he captain of Shrewsbury under Hurst?

good call. Hurst liked him at sHrews
https://www.shropshirestar.com.....ury-town-ingredient/

and he is out of contract this summer
i wouldn't be surprised if Alex Rodman was also on his list
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 87
Vance Warner
April 23, 2021, 5:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,833
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

FFS !

Why not give him a ten year contract ?

That might just be long enough to get us promoted !

Clearly it doesn’t take ten years to build a promotion squad but it does take at least two in most cases. Can’t believe after our experience last time that anyone expects us to p1ss the conference when only 2 teams go up each year. Some very short memories about how competitive the league is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 87
KingstonMariner
April 23, 2021, 6:06am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
We need a squad sorted before pre-season or very close to it and no waiting for “maybes”. Hit the ground running and fit and organised from Day One.

I have no idea which players Hurst rates apart from LJL and possibly McKeown so pointless for me to second guess comings and goings. But anyone could see we do need at least one striker who can do better than hit the bar from 6 yards with an open goal.

Exactly. I think the last time we were close to doing that was the season we went up.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.