Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 280 Guests

What the club needs to get back in the league

This thread currently has 10,973 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
April 22, 2021, 9:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from Hagrid

one of the only things i'll disagree with you on here

He's more than good enough for league 2, and 100% good enough for a promotion team from the NL

It’s a hill I’m happy to die on. I really don’t think he’s anything special and probably costs us more points than he wins us over a season. Be interesting to see how many we’ve conceded from goals inside the 6 yard box or from crosses.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 87
GollyGTFC
April 22, 2021, 9:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
I think McKeown will be likely number 1 next season otherwise Hurst would have brought Eastwood back into the team now he’s fit. Hurst obviously doesn’t want to upset McKeown needlessly at the end of this season when he’s 90% likely to be playing next season.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 87
April 22, 2021, 9:47am
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid

one of the only things I'll disagree with you on here

He's more than good enough for league 2, and 100% good enough for a promotion team from the NL

Disagree.  He still doesn't command his area, barely comes out any further than his 6 yard box.  When he parries shots or crosses invariably he pushes the ball towards the penalty spot.  CATCH THE DAMN BALL, I don't get what's happened these days with all keepers trying to punch or parry the ball.  His kicking is also woeful and is not good enough, ok he is a decent shot stopper but has had quite a few member ups this season.  He needs to be more decisive, by going for these crosses and anyone in the way gets flattened, not half hearted attempt at catching or punching the ball.  More than good enough for League 2!, don't think so.

Reply: 12 - 87
malkamalka
April 22, 2021, 10:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
1/ New owners.

2/ A new chairman.

3/ A new board.

4/ At least 22 better quality players than the rubbish we have at the moment.

5/ A new manager.

Simple really !

And the pitch needs re laying. We used to have one of the best playing surfaces in the country - now it's like an extension of the mud flats across the way!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 87
arryarryarry
April 22, 2021, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Stew0_0

Im saying that i do not have a vast knowledge of players these days, but i know Hurst does and if he can find players similar to the qualities of the previous lads weve had here listed above, theres no reason why we cant return at the first attempt. Hurst needs to be given the chance to produce HIS squad. Lets rebuild and reset this club and come back stronger

How do you know Hurst has a vast knowledge of players?

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 87
chipsandgravy
April 22, 2021, 11:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
[quote=78048]1/ New owners.

2/ A new chairman.

3/ A new board.

4/ At least 22 better quality players than the rubbish we have at the moment.

5/ A new manager.

Simple really !

Just out of interest Sir Matt, and I know I have asked you this several times, who would you have had as a manager that a) was available and/or a realistic target
given our circumstances and is that different to who you would have now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 87
Stew0_0
April 22, 2021, 12:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from arryarryarry

How do you Hurst has a vast knowledge of players?

The mans managed at every level from the northern counties east league right up to the championship. You dont manage that without knowing about a player or two
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 87
diehardmariner
April 22, 2021, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
On the McKeown point....

There's never a happy medium with him.  He tends, especially last few years, to either be amazing or a disaster.

He was very good for us in the Conference before but since coming back into the league we've seen two 'keepers who have offered us a glimpse of what we could have, or perhaps the standard in this league.

Henderson (unrealistic) and then Eastwood (perhaps more realistic).  

Just to throw this one in there.  Ben Killip was just ok when he was here.  He got his chance when McKeown had an injury and I thought he looked decent if not amazing.  He dropped a couple of howlers which ultimately marked his card but his overall game was alright.  But largely we needed and rightly wanted better, even as a back-up.  Killip is now first choice 'keeper at Hartlepool who are top of the Conference.

Was Killip any better than McKeown at this level?  Probably not.  So it's maybe fair to argue that McKeown would still be very good at Conference level.

What I would say though is that I think overall he's gone backwards year on year since we've returned to the league.  No doubting he's still got the ability to pull off the odd wonder wave, which he definitely has done a few since returning to the side. But he doesn't command his area well enough, he doesn't come off his line anywhere near quick enough for my liking and his distribution is poor.  The role of a goalkeeper has changed quite dramatically in the time that McKeown has been here and be it himself or through a lack of coaching, he hasn't really adapted.

I wouldn't be overly disappointed if he was our first choice next season, but then I do think we could and probably should look for someone different.  I've absolutely no idea on Eastwood's situation and likelihood of signing for us, but he's probably more of the standard we should aspire to.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 87
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 22, 2021, 12:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
We need a squad sorted before pre-season or very close to it and no waiting for “maybes”. Hit the ground running and fit and organised from Day One.

I have no idea which players Hurst rates apart from LJL and possibly McKeown so pointless for me to second guess comings and goings. But anyone could see we do need at least one striker who can do better than hit the bar from 6 yards with an open goal.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 87
DB
April 22, 2021, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
On the whole, Macca is a decent keeper, not the best as Eastwood showed. You also have to consider the dross that was in front of him under the teams Holloway put out. Eastwood may have performed a bit better under Holloway but not much better than Macc did.

You have to think about the effect on his confidence following his spat with Holloway and the way Holloway dealt with it. His confidence was shot and needed a break to restore it, which the last few games have shown.

Like I said he's not the best but would be ok in the NL.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What the club needs to get back in the league

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.