6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Fillipe Noche
March 14, 2021, 4:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
If we get relegated, which is highly likely, then I shall not quit on my club with my support.

I will continue to support my team, continue to buy my tickets, and my support will be unerring and I’ll play my part in cheering the club back to the football league yet again. No matter how long it takes

My support is unconditional and I offer the manager and players (whoever they are) and the new owners my total support

Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
March 14, 2021, 4:13pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

Only if the takeover goes through, then yes.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 52
MuddyWaters
March 14, 2021, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,289
Gold Stars: 236
Conditional on the takeover happening. Never thought I would say that my support would ever be conditional but that’s how low we’ve got.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 52
Stadium
March 14, 2021, 4:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
If we get relegated, which is highly likely, then I shall not quit on my club with my support.

I will continue to support my team, continue to buy my tickets, and my support will be unerring and I’ll play my part in cheering the club back to the football league yet again. No matter how long it takes

My support is unconditional and I offer the manager and players (whoever they are) and the new owners my total support

What about if the current structure continues to exist?

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 52
Azimuth
March 14, 2021, 4:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +711
Gold Stars: 61

Good for you.
I on the other hand wont hand over a penny while we employ Hurst and are served up his negative no plan B style of football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 52
DB
March 14, 2021, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391

I like many on here we could be dead!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 52
Sandford1981
March 14, 2021, 4:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Each to their own of course but I for one, will not be tipping up at BP until the current regime is gone. Cutting my nose off to spite my face? Possibly but you have to draw a line somewhere.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 52
grimsby pete
March 14, 2021, 4:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from promotion plaice

Only if the takeover goes through, then yes.

Agree not a penny until Fenty is gone.

Saving my money to spend on town once the takeover is completed.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 52
DB
March 14, 2021, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
Each to their own of course but I for one, will not be tipping up at BP until the current regime is gone. Cutting my nose off to spite my face? Possibly but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Do you consider regime to be owners, management, players or all of them?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 52
realist
March 14, 2021, 5:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
And you are the reason the club is in its current state Niche. If a few more had shown conditional support earlier it might have driven Fenty (you?) Out sooner.
Blind faith , more like blind stupidity
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 52
Sandford1981
March 14, 2021, 5:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

Do you consider regime to be owners, management, players or all of them?

Owners and board.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
Zmariner
March 14, 2021, 5:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44

I appreciate, the we'll support you ever more approach. Like most on here I have served my time. I am embarassed at this point to be a mariners fan. Supporters of other clubs tend to pity us rather than laugh at us in my experience. My colleagues don't even make jokes any more as we are too pathetic.
Years of abysmal league positions with regular relegations. Pathetic , an embarassment to our great town and at this point absolutely undeserving of loyalty.
I will be back when we are competitive , there is some pride and we can hold our heads up again but now as we lurch back to non league after trying our best to get there since we got promoted I will wait.
Show me some green shoots of recovery, some hope , some pride , passion and I will run back for now ...... stick it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
DB
March 14, 2021, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Owners and board.

The board includes 2 from the Trust so would you clear these out as well. I mention this because as I understood the RH interview with Kristine the trust do not intend to ask for their £200k worth of shares back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
DB
March 14, 2021, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner

I appreciate, the we'll support you ever more approach. Like most on here I have served my time. I am embarassed at this point to be a mariners fan. Supporters of other clubs tend to pity us rather than laugh at us in my experience. My colleagues don't even make jokes any more as we are too pathetic.
Years of abysmal league positions with regular relegations. Pathetic , an embarassment to our great town and at this point absolutely undeserving of loyalty.
I will be back when we are competitive , there is some pride and we can hold our heads up again but now as we lurch back to non league after trying our best to get there since we got promoted I will wait.
Show me some green shoots of recovery, some hope , some pride , passion and I will run back for now ...... stick it.

Hurst mentioned a board meeting the other day. It is likely the green shoots of recovery is the grass in each corner of the pitch. The board may Hope their freebies continue a little longer with the delay of the takeover while their Passion of contempt for the fans continues until the end of their term. No doubt, along with their supporters the board will have Pride in what they have done.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
Sandford1981
March 14, 2021, 5:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

The board includes 2 from the Trust so would you clear these out as well. I mention this because as I understood the RH interview with Kristine the trust do not intend to ask for their £200k worth of shares back.

My apologies, I should have been clear from the outset. When Fenty has finally buggered off, I will return to BP.
Hope that clears up any ambiguity.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
moosey_club
March 14, 2021, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,325
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Sandford1981

My apologies, I should have been clear from the outset. When Fenty has finally buggered off, I will return to BP.

I thought he was lying dead in a service station having been attacked by "supporters" yesterday, ironically cause of death a broken flag pole.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
TwoLeftFeet
March 14, 2021, 5:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Absolutely won't be setting foot in BP whilst the current regime is in charge. All I want like a lot of fans is to be competitive against teams and towns of an equal size.
To be able to keep players when they do well and have perhaps earned a slight pay increase.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
Dogger Bank
March 14, 2021, 5:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from DB

If this is true then it's a disgrace. The Trust have a duty to ask for the shares back and Fenty should have the decency to hand them over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 14, 2021, 6:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
I will maintain my boycott, which has been in place since Jolleys team stayed up, until such time as Fenty has gone and all vestiges of his time at the club have been removed, this does not mean the team and it's manager. Maybe then I can perhaps learn to love the club again, because at the moment I don't. Fenty took something away from me and I don't know whether I'll ever find it again.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
DB
March 14, 2021, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Certainly does and I think you speak for many, not only on here but all supporters.( except Fillipe & Co)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
DB
March 14, 2021, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Dogger Bank

If this is true then it's a disgrace. The Trust have a duty to ask for the shares back and Fenty should have the decency to hand them over.

I don't know how to do it but if you listen to a playback of RH after towns game yesterday it was on then

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
ginnywings
March 14, 2021, 10:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I will no longer be a regular at BP no matter what league we are in. Done 50 years unwavering support but I've  found better things to do with my weekends over the last couple of years. I'll be out in the wilds of the UK somewhere, but if I'm at home and we are playing, I will pop along.

I kept going right through the 6 years in non league and bought my season ticket every season. Unlike some other fans who actually enjoyed our time down there, I hated it. Dull teams playing dull football and hardly any atmosphere. It was generally 22 massive blokes with little finesse, kicking the sh1t out of a football.

The only games I can remember with any clarity were the ones against Scunny and Huddersfield in the cup. Reminded me of what it should be like at a football match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2021, 10:59pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I remember plenty of games with an atmosphere back in the Conference Ginny. Just not many at Blundell Park.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
ginnywings
March 14, 2021, 11:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I remember plenty of games with an atmosphere back in the Conference Ginny. Just not many at Blundell Park.

Yeah, fair comment, but I stopped doing away games before we went out of the league and didn't feel the urge to start them again. A few of my mates said the away games were better than BP, but I can only comment on the home games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2021, 11:07pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, fair comment, but I stopped doing away games before we went out of the league and didn't feel the urge to start them again. A few of my mates said the away games were better than BP, but I can only comment on the home games.

And unfortunately it’s only the home games that give count for ticket revenue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
Fishy clapper
March 14, 2021, 11:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
I will maintain my boycott, which has been in place since Jolleys team stayed up, until such time as Fenty has gone and all vestiges of his time at the club have been removed, this does not mean the team and it's manager. Maybe then I can perhaps learn to love the club again, because at the moment I don't. Fenty took something away from me and I don't know whether I'll ever find it again.

Virginity?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2021, 11:18pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Fishy clapper

Virginity?

No. Pennsylvany

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
Fillipe Noche
March 15, 2021, 8:03am
Table Wine Drinker
I didn’t expect this post to bring out such a myriad of views and it’s quite interesting to read some of the replies.

Still one or two on here that still think I’m a director or employee of GTFC and that’s comical. I’m just a normal fan. Neither have I got a friendship or acquaintance with John Fenty. I just see his stewardship at the club over the years differently to most others on here.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is to see the high number of people on here that have already stopped going to games over the years, and those that are in that not a penny more brigade. I was quite shocked to hear that.

This next comment may not be received very well, but I’ll make it anyway, because let’s face it, none of my comments are normally received very well.....

If you are a stay away supporter and in the not a penny more brigade, no matter what your history is with the club, I question whether or not you are a loyal supporter of your club. I question why you are even on a web forum like this when you aren’t even supporting your club. I’d suggest that John Fenty, the very man you spend your life moaning about, is probably a more loyal fan of the club than you are. As are those of us that have continued to support the club fully, through good, bad or indifferent. Both when supporters in the ground were allowed and on iFollow more recently.

Why on earth are they on the Fishy, venting your spleen about Grimsby, if they aren’t even your club and you aren’t even supporting them?

The title of my post was “unconditional”.
It seems to have uncovered many whose support isn’t unconditional, as well as those that are on here but aren’t even supporters.

You can come back at me with all of the “ah but” comments you wish, including stuff about crowdfunding etc. But when all is said and done, if the cap fits then where it. If you turn your back on your club, and you are not supporting it, then you aren’t really a fan. You just someone that once was a fan, but is now just hanging around in this virtual world, hedging your bets, until there is a bit of glory to jump on the bandwagon with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
Sandford1981
March 15, 2021, 8:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
I didn’t expect this post to bring out such a myriad of views and it’s quite interesting to read some of the replies.

Still one or two on here that still think I’m a director or employee of GTFC and that’s comical. I’m just a normal fan. Neither have I got a friendship or acquaintance with John Fenty. I just see his stewardship at the club over the years differently to most others on here.

Perhaps the most interesting thing is to see the high number of people on here that have already stopped going to games over the years, and those that are in that not a penny more brigade. I was quite shocked to hear that.

This next comment may not be received very well, but I’ll make it anyway, because let’s face it, none of my comments are normally received very well.....

If you are a stay away supporter and in the not a penny more brigade, no matter what your history is with the club, I question whether or not you are a loyal supporter of your club. I question why you are even on a web forum like this when you aren’t even supporting your club. I’d suggest that John Fenty, the very man you spend your life moaning about, is probably a more loyal fan of the club than you are. As are those of us that have continued to support the club fully, through good, bad or indifferent. Both when supporters in the ground were allowed and on iFollow more recently.

Why on earth are you on the Fishy, venting your spleen about Grimsby, if they are even your club and you aren’t even supporting them?

It seems to have uncovered many whose support isn’t unconditional, as well as those that are on here but aren’t even supporters.

You can come back at me with all of the “ah but” comments you wish, including stuff about crowdfunding etc. But when all is said and done, if the cap fits then where it. If you turn your back on your club, and you are not supporting it, then you aren’t really a fan. You just someone that once was a fan, but is now just hanging around in this virtual world, hedging your bets, until there is a bit of glory to jump on the bandwagon with.

I cannot explain in strong enough terms how comfortable I am with your labels. If you think I’m not loyal, a fan, supporter or that I’m some sort of glory hunter (oh the irony) then so be it.
It’s your blind version of loyalty that allows Fenty et al to preside over 20 years of complete failure and utter misery. You are part of the problem.
Enough is enough.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
mariner91
March 15, 2021, 8:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262

Why on earth are they on the Fishy, venting your spleen about Grimsby, if they aren’t even your club and you aren’t even supporting them?

And I'd suggest that this is absolute bollocks. Yes he helped out when the tax man was calling and for that I am grateful. However, his association with Alex May and the fact he was quite happy for this convicted fraudster to have some sort of say in the goings on at Blundell Park prove that he doesn't give two shites for the club and is much more concerned with his own wallet.

His reign has been disastrous with only one top half finish in the FL in nearly two decades sandwiching the club's only spell in non-league to date. This will soon be followed by another one which he is to blame for again although his ego will never allow him to accept or admit this. During that time the rest of us have spent thousands of £s following and supporting the club. Whilst that is less in actual terms than he has spent, in relative terms for a lot of fans it will be just as much. For that money we didn't get the perks of running the club, the board room do's, the kudos etc. And, as far as I know, not one of us have asked for any of that money back. Fenty wants every single penny back. And worse, he intends to profit from his extortion of the Trust's shares. Given the monumental lack of investment and the mess he's left it in, £2.5 million would go a long way to getting the club back on it's feet. But Fenty doesn't care about GTFC, all he cares about is his back pocket.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
Davec
March 15, 2021, 8:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from mariner91

And I'd suggest that this is absolute bollocks. Yes he helped out when the tax man was calling and for that I am grateful. However, his association with Alex May and the fact he was quite happy for this convicted fraudster to have some sort of say in the goings on at Blundell Park prove that he doesn't give two shites for the club and is much more concerned with his own wallet.

His reign has been disastrous with only one top half finish in the FL in nearly two decades sandwiching the club's only spell in non-league to date. This will soon be followed by another one which he is to blame for again although his ego will never allow him to accept or admit this. During that time the rest of us have spent thousands of £s following and supporting the club. Whilst that is less in actual terms than he has spent, in relative terms for a lot of fans it will be just as much. For that money we didn't get the perks of running the club, the board room do's, the kudos etc. And, as far as I know, not one of us have asked for any of that money back. Fenty wants every single penny back. And worse, he intends to profit from his extortion of the Trust's shares. Given the monumental lack of investment and the mess he's left it in, £2.5 million would go a long way to getting the club back on it's feet. But Fenty doesn't care about GTFC, all he cares about is his back pocket.

Spot on, so many people claim he cares about the club and he loves the club as much or more than we do but I don't see it at all, there are too many examples where you really question his love and care for the club, and whilst I accept we all make wrong decisions time to time and that doesn't mean we don't love the club but I think the Alex May fiasco and the fact he is happy to march away with 250k extra whilst the club is at its lowest ebb firmly proves he doesn't love or care about the club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
March 15, 2021, 8:56am
Guest User
Quoted from Zmariner

^^ Fair weather supporter!  Pathetic.

Reply: 31 - 52
Zmariner
March 15, 2021, 9:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

^^ Fair weather supporter!  Pathetic.

But I am not a fair weather supporter am I. Think it through and eventually you will work it out…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
friskneymariner
March 15, 2021, 9:36am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from ginnywings
I will no longer be a regular at BP no matter what league we are in. Done 50 years unwavering support but I've  found better things to do with my weekends over the last couple of years. I'll be out in the wilds of the UK somewhere, but if I'm at home and we are playing, I will pop along.

I kept going right through the 6 years in non league and bought my season ticket every season. Unlike some other fans who actually enjoyed our time down there, I hated it. Dull teams playing dull football and hardly any atmosphere. It was generally 22 massive blokes with little finesse, kicking the sh1t out of a football.

The only games I can remember with any clarity were the ones against Scunny and Huddersfield in the cup. Reminded me of what it should be like at a football match.

Exactly as I feel after over 50 years making a 100 mile round trip and being as season ticket holder for 22 years,I will no longer support
a club who treat their fans with so much contempt

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2021, 9:44am
Meths Drinker
Fenty’s support isn’t unconditional. His condition is that either he runs the club or takes his bat home (ie loans).

I’d argue it’s the ‘unconditional support’ that has helped ruin the club. It’s allowed the same person to make the same mistakes over and over again. If John Fenty continues to run it, in a way it isn’t really our club but merely a company that he controls that happens to have a football team. And given his lack of principles over who he gets into bed with in business, it’s not something a lot of people want anything to do with.

Despite all that we still all have a strong connection to the town and the historic football club, and to each other, so it’s perfectly reasonable to continue to communicate on here. If you want a purer board, with a purer set of supporters, you can always go off and create the Real Fishy or the Continuity Fishy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
ginnywings
March 15, 2021, 10:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Although I'm reluctant to 'bite' because I think Mr Noche is just on a wind up and enjoys the reaction, I will say that with me, the decision to withdraw my support is based on 2 things. The first being that the current board needs to be ousted, as apart from the woeful performances on the pitch for many seasons, they were prepared to do business with a convicted fraudster and can't seem to see why that would upset so many fans. To my mind and that of many others, the situation means they are not fit custodians of the club and it's time they moved on.

Secondly, I will be spending more of my time doing stuff that will mean I simply won't be around to physically get to the ground. It doesn't mean I won't still be a supporter: I can do that without actually attending BP, but that support will only be forthcoming in the event that there is new ownership. I will no longer give money to a board that I feel neither appreciate nor use that money wisely.

Hope that meets with your approval Philipe and that I pass the fit and proper fan test.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
Fillipe Noche
March 15, 2021, 11:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Hope that meets with your approval Philipe and that I pass the fit and proper fan test.  

No it doesn’t. It fails the fit and proper fan test.

Like someone else on this thread has accused someone else here, this makes you a fair weather supporter, a fake fan and a plastic mariner.

You don’t just support a club because of the history, and you don’t turn your back on the club when times are hard, or because there’s an owner that has upset you. You stand by your club if you are real supporter through thick and thin, no matter who holds the key to the front door.

You might not get this bit. But I have more respect for anti John Fenty people who continue to support the club, than I do for anti John Fenty fans that turn their back on the club. Nobody should be denied an opinion on John Fenty, but if you want to know who the real rocks are, it’s those die hards that will voice their opinions about John, whilst still supporting the club in every respect. Not those that just chip in with anti Fentyisms  from the outside on a message board, but in the meantime withdraw their support for the very club they are trying to improve with those anti Fenty comments

It laughable and frankly embarrassing

The fact that people have paid their dues as supporters over many seasons makes no difference. The day you stop supporting and the day you stop spending at the club, is the day you are no longer a fan. You might just as well tell us you are a Man Utd or Liverpool fan, and not go and watch them either
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
Sandford1981
March 15, 2021, 12:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Like someone else on this thread has accused someone else here, this makes you a fair weather supporter, a fake fan and a plastic mariner.

You don’t just support a club because of the history, and you don’t turn your back on the club when times are hard, or because there’s an owner that has upset you. You stand by your club if you are real supporter through thick and thin, no matter who holds the key to the front door.

You might not get this bit. But I have more respect for anti John Fenty people who continue to support the club, than I do for anti John Fenty fans that turn their back on the club. Nobody should be denied an opinion on John Fenty, but if you want to know who the real rocks are, it’s those die hards that will voice their opinions about John, whilst still supporting the club in every respect. Not those that just chip in with anti Fentyisms  from the outside on a message board, but in the meantime withdraw their support for the very club they are trying to improve with those anti Fenty comments

The fact that people have paid their dues as supporters over many seasons makes no difference. The day you stop supporting and the day you stop spending at the club, is the day you are no longer a fan. You might just as well tell us you are a Man Utd or Liverpool fan, and not go and watch them either

You see fake, I see principled. All just opinions at the end of the day but how anyone can effect positive change by ‘supporting’ a regime that has a proven track record in failure for such a long period of time, is beyond me.

It’s not like fans haven’t made the effort to connect with the club, however Fenty et al have repeatedly treat us with contempt and utter disdain. We tried. They haven’t listened. Time for a change.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
mimma
March 15, 2021, 12:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
I support Grimsby Town Football Club,  not the board, the chairman or whatever, GTFC full stop.
There will always be highs and lows, but the club must survive for us to enjoy the highs when we get them.
To hasten our demise just because you personally don't like the bloke in charge is just plain daft and as far as I am concerned, is not what a true died in the wool supporter should be advocating. If you don't want to go then fine, but let us all make our own mind up thank you.
Nothing is forever,  bide your time and wait. It will change with or without you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
golfer
March 15, 2021, 3:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I bet JSF wouldn't dare do another bungee jump at B.P.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
mariners1
March 15, 2021, 4:56pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Well, I’m and old man now but I’ve been going to BP since I was 10 and I’m not going to stop now. Luckily I’m still in a position where I can afford to. Been thru thick and thin in the last 55+ years (majority of them in the thin category) so I’ll be in the definitely will return camp.....the alternative is staying at home with the bloody wife and we’ve just had a year of covid stuck at home so, while I respect and understand those who are doubtful or who will wait and see, personally I will be getting my season ticket again. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
TownSNAFU5
March 15, 2021, 5:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
John Fenty may love the Club. But his material gains (reimbursing shares/costs and the Trust shares) certainly come first.

His support for May and threatening to sell Liam Hearn if he was not given the Trust shares, showed him in his true colours. These professional and personal qualities are not compatible with Grimsby Town FC.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
Zmariner
March 15, 2021, 5:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker

I see you are the self-proclaimed creator of the definition of a fan. I just think we are lucky to have people as clever as you on this board
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
DB
March 15, 2021, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Interestingly Fillipe on this thread has managed to divide supporters between those that will attend and those that will not attend future matches at BP, even throwing in his love for JF.

All support Town whether you attend BP or not and their are many, many reasons for not attending BP. Those down south and those who live abroad, those with health problems and those with money problems. Those that can't stand JF and his puppets, those that are totally down hearted and dispirited at the retched performance of the team including Hurst's management. Those that have been there through thick and thin and can longer put up with a season, or more, in the NL.

All these people are still supporters, just like the prem team supporters in Asia etc. They will not give up their love for the club just because they will not be inside BP. Ask all these people "who are we, who are we" TOWN is the answer.

Condition is not what makes a supporter it is sticking up for town on here, in the paper, at work or the pub in the street, with neighbours or where ever. To use Fillipe's words all supporters give unconditional support.

No abbreviation, UP THE MARINERS and up the supporters one and all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Sandford1981
March 15, 2021, 6:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I liken my stance to being with  a woman who you love but that cheats on you regularly. You love her and being with her but you can’t abide the infidelity. You put up with it for a while and promises are made and broken. You make demands and say this is the last time. Every time it happens you take her back because it’s what you know, it’s habit and you love her.

The problem is, that every time you take her back you are supporting her behaviour and saying it’s ok. Because I love you, it’s what I know and I’m used to it, I’ll forgive you your trespasses. Then one day the penny finally drops. Her behaviour is not acceptable. It’s damaging, disrespectful and you can do better. Forget how hot she is or how good the bedroom activities are. Youre done and will no longer be taken for a mug.

That’s how I see it. Except if town was the woman in question she’d be a munter and the sex crap too.

P.S this is in no way autobiographical or a cry for help!

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
grimsby pete
March 15, 2021, 6:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Fenty does love our club.

BUT

Not as much as he loves himself.

If you have to listen to one of his speeches you will find how much he loves himself.

He spent 25 minutes telling me how he did this and did that and  I paid for the call.!!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
forza ivano
March 15, 2021, 7:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from mimma
I support Grimsby Town Football Club,  not the board, the chairman or whatever, GTFC full stop.
There will always be highs and lows, but the club must survive for us to enjoy the highs when we get them.
To hasten our demise just because you personally don't like the bloke in charge is just plain daft and as far as I am concerned, is not what a true died in the wool supporter should be advocating. If you don't want to go then fine, but let us all make our own mind up thank you.
Nothing is forever,  bide your time and wait. It will change with or without you.

Think Blackpool fans who managed to oust the odious Oystons  & Chester  fans who eventaully saw the back of the criminal Vaughan might disagree with you and Filipe
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
March 15, 2021, 9:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Quoted from Fishy clapper

Virginity?

No. That was enjoyable.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
TAGG
March 15, 2021, 9:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Town have been my footballing life since 1969

If Fenty is still there next season i will not renewing my ST and never will while he has our club.

When we go down if Hurst is still in charge I will not renew my ST

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
DB
March 16, 2021, 12:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
From reading this and speaking to other ST holders attracting fans to buy season tickets will be a big job for the consortium, especially as it looks like the NL and Hurst next season. The bigger problem will be getting other fans into BP for these reasons and also after near on 15 months of non attendance, poor displays on ifollow and changing habits.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
aldi_01
March 16, 2021, 5:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As fans, one might argue one of the biggest criticisms of the current board is their exploitation of that unconditional love and support...ironically, the moment Fenty was exposed and his shady little deals with May were brought to light, he disappeared. Hardly unconditional that...

The debate of Fenty’s love the club will forever ramble on. The simple fact is, he needs to be gone and the rest with him. The club is in a mess, it went backwards at a rate of knots the moment we were promoted. We can discuss for hours, and have, the continual farce that was Fenty’s ‘leadership’ and now the view of he needs to be gone is definitely the many not the few. There’s still the odd chap that thinks he somehow saved the club and I’d imagine the reason we haven’t seen more noise from the fans no arguments etc is we’re not visiting BP. A bloke that sits near me is a classic example of blind and unconditional love. I’ve literally never heard him criticise the club, Fenty and he very rarely criticises the team. Almost as if he thinks that the moment he does that, he’s not a fan.

Attracting fans once all this Covid excrement has copulated off will be difficult for everyone, people’s habits have changed, financial situations changed and then for a club like us, who banked on the season not starting or most certainly not finishing, it’s been an embarrassing season quite frankly.

I’d imagine the trust aren’t asking for their £200k because they know Fenty is arrogant enough to think it’s rightfully his. Rather sad though don’t you think? A (girl private) man that has claimed to be a town fan would take £200k of cash from a supporters trust who, whatever folks opinions, just want to do good and have some influence at their club.

Through the nonsense and name calling from Phil, and when the lock jaw and sore knees play up, he pops on here trying to whip up a storm; in this case the debate has been had multiple times. We don’t need to bite, the fact someone would be called a glory supporter for watching/not watching a club like town isn’t worth the rise.

Do I agree with folk saying they won’t go because of Hurst? Not at all but it’s their choice and if we’re honest, it just provides an excuse and an alternative response to ‘I’m not going whilst Fenty is still there’. I’ve got friends who haven’t stepped foot in BP for a while for various reasons, are they any more or less than a fan than many of us? Not at all, in fact, you’d probably argue they aren’t as daft as some of us...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 52
March 16, 2021, 8:31am
Guest User
Quoted from Zmariner

But I am not a fair weather supporter am I. Think it through and eventually you will work it out…

Yes you are, no need to think it through.

Reply: 51 - 52
Zmariner
March 16, 2021, 9:16pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

Yes you are, no need to think it through.

The debate is entirely subjective. Agree to disagree this is the win-win conclusion to this ,it is worth no more energy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 52
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unconditional

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.